Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    OO & Wardi - nice doubles 

RJR - overtraining maybe? Or are you training on a big calorie deficit? I’ve gone a bit haywire before when trying to drop weight. 

8.5m steady this afternoo through riverside park. Very pleasant day 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - how were you today ? The CV jab roughed the spo up, it can flare up CV symptoms in folks that had CV - apparently.

OO - good for your lad to get back to school, and for your running.

Joe - hope it was just a blip, the docs dont seem worried.

10m tonight, 15 was never going to happen, im smoked and achey, esp hammys, but the OP stuff is improving. Should find out soon if im tapering from next week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. sadly no sunshine here, rather showery & windy all day.
    TR.. both me & Mrs Wardi had our jabs yesterday and both of us have been fine.  I did get out for 5m steady today - it did feel a bit laboured but I don't know if that was the injection or just tired legs!
    Joe.. very wise to get checked out, keep monitoring it.  I temporarily stepped off the road just after mile 1 of a 10m race 2 years ago due to high heart rate and difficulty breathing - I ended up jogging round.
    JH87.. sounds like you had decent weather too, nice run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds like you both had minimal reaction then, see what happens after jab2. I should be able to book mine doon as im in the next age group.

Abo is set for oct 24th, my place from 2020 rolls over. Worth keeping that in case Brighton and/or vlm dont go ahead, Brighton has a chance, i guess vlm might go ahead with no overseas runners?
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    JH - training volumes have been down the last few weeks and I definitely don't struggle to eat. Nice run.
    TR - exciting that a race could be close. sounds like you'll feel a million dollars when you're tapering and the legs get their energy back. My mum thought she may have had covid early on in pandemic and did have a pretty bad reaction to the jab but only for a few days fortunately.

I've had a referral to a cardiologist and luckily have private health through work so should know in a weeks time if anything is up. I've been advised not to run in the meantime as a precaution so I'll keep fingers crossed and do a bit of light conditioning work for my knee.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Joe- Hope as JH points out it was just a temporary reaction.  
    TR - Interesting point on overseas runners and VLM though I do see the Government is offering to host the Euro's with one of its USP's that overseas supporters will be able to attend (if vaccinated), so hopefully in a few more months time, Europe will be in a far better place. 
    Wardi - Good to hear about the jabs, I've mine next Monday. It will be good to be vaccinated but opens the door to overseas adventures from June. 

Now number 55 on the reserve list for the Dartmoor Discovery, a 32m very scenic and hilly ultra in early June.  The RD thinks I am pretty sure of a place as its one of those races that fills up very quickly and then has lots of drop-outs on the way.  So something to aim for.  I last run it in 2007, doesn't seem that long ago!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Joe: that sounds a bit scary, but hopefully you will have answers soon.  And you'll either have had one easy week which won't have affected your fitness, or you'll have protected your health.  Win-win!

Wardi: glad the jabs have gone ok for you and Mrs. W.  Mr. Jools had his about a month ago (he's a medic, so gets vaccinated 'ahead' of his age group) and had a day or 2 of feeling a little dopey, but no other side effects.  I think he had Pfizer.

Two days of practical running for me: a run to and from the office to pick up a bit of post yesterday, and then a run to drop off cleaned cat food sachets for recycling today.  I don't think I've used my running rucksack twice in a week for ... ooh, about a year!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed then Joe

OO - DD is a tough race, if you want info on it ask shades and Big G on the shades thread, they do it.

Felt a bit livelier today so 10m tonight.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Joolska - The office, now that's a grand day out.  Good your partner only had a mild  reaction to the jab.

TR - Cheers. I ran it in 2007 and thought at the time  easier than a sub 3 marathon as you can take it a bit easy,  mp + 30/45 seconds and still do well. Think that year I came 6th in 4.04. Aspirations to use as a training run for my ultra in August.

Whats the latest with Dorney/ Goodwood?
    10 for me too, pretty slow though. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    OO - you'll be ok then.....EA say racing can start march 29th but they have a minimise travel point in their roadmap until mid may, so the relevant bodies are seeking clarification re the minimise travel........goodwood moved back 3 wks to end of Apr, Dorney are going to update Friday, and give options if the travel situation hasnt been cleared up........not sure why the end of Apr is ok when minimise travel is in the EA roadmap until May 17th, although travel to holiday lets is ok from Apr 12th.......if Dorney moves back to the same weekend as Goodwood (dorney reserve date) ill take a Dorney refund and do Goodwood, as its so local. So friday i hope to find out if its 3 weeks to go or 6. Not sure i need 3 more weeks. I'll self combust!
  • Options
    I'd really like more clarification on the 'minimise travel' thing. I have a race on 18th April that's in a different county, but there are literally no races in Nottinghamshire. It's an hour away according to the AA route planner. 

Monster day for me today. 5 miles slow on the treadmill before work as usual, but tonight was 8 x 1km (90 secs rest) 500m (2 mins rest). 12km of effort, all faster than the pace I ran for my 5k time trial (although that was hilly). With WU, CD and recoveries I covered over 13.5 miles, so 18.5 miles for the day with a full day's work in the middle. Will I even be able to move tomorrow?!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work CC2, refuel well and a good night's sleep are deserved.

Jools.. a good multi tasking run, is that rumour true about a  pet food sachet shortage?

OO/TR.. decent milers banked.  Quite a few runners about with fingers crossed for forthcoming events.

Joe.. hope it turns out to be a brief problem for you, rest is a sensible precaution at this stage.

9.5m today in pleasant conditions, will squeeze in a soggy run tomorrow morning as it starts to look a bit wild from late afternoon onwards. 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - I'm just following the Ronan Keating 'loife is a rollercoaster' idea ;) Training wise I'm actually edging closer to consistency over the last few weeks. Good to see you continuing to train well.

Wardi - I think bodge jobs somewhere along the line are par for the course with DIY (we all have to learn), so I can imagine all tradies have plenty of examples, but there seems to be plenty in this house (discovered some big ones in the last few days!).

Jools - nice mixed pace session.

CC2 - looks like you're progressing nicely.

rjr - fingers crossed the palpitations come to nothing!

Old-school fartlek for me earlier (straight into 7 x {3' jog/3' fast}, 3 x  {2' jog, 2' fast, 1' jog, 1' fast}, 2' jog, then 10 x {1' fast, 1' jog} before finishing with 1' fast. Ended up with 12.1m in 83mins. I think I'll feel that on my jog later, but I really enjoyed it, despite the wind!!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 11 for me today.  Not the nicest weather, but way better than is forecast for tomorrow.  Happily I'd spotted the bad weather coming, and so have scheduled my rest day for then!  Did some strength work just before lunch with my sports masseuse over Zoom.

Nice fartlek, TT.
  • Options
    CC2 - really tough sounding session 

TR - that must be frustrating! Hoping for good news with that and you can start tapering next week. 

Nice fartlek TT, I like those. 

10 miles for me in miserable conditions on the south coast. Very windy and consistent rain. I only realised when I got in that my shorts must’ve been really stuck to my legs for a while so they’re good and chafed. 
    What a change from yesterday, I got out into the New Forest for a 50 mile loop on the bike and it was beautiful 
  • Options
    I'll be on the treadmill tonight. I'd run in it if I didn't need to do weights and core afterwards, but I'd get too cold and wet out there tonight!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done CC that accountability of the coach is working well.

Well done TT its tough out there today

JH - bike ride sounds good, i copped it on the bike commute tonight.

Jools - great idea on the zoom massage session, got to be better than trying to do it without any guidance.

Struggled in my 10m inc 6m lumpy tempo today, so i sacked it off after 2m as i was well off the pace. A rarity for me to bail something but no big deal as ive been pretty smoked. I toddled the rest of the 10m commute in. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    TR - sounds like a rest day is needed?. Goodwood looks the likely choice then.

Seems a day of 10 m runs for us all, mine a hilly affair mostly run in the lee of the worst of the rain and wind. Tomorrow looks brutal. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. wise decision, no point in flogging a tired horse.  I felt a bit like that yesterday. Still, good miles in the commute.
    CC2.. horrible out there, the treadie always seems more appealing if the weather is abysmal. 
    JH87.. I usually run in lycra shorts in heavy/steady rain to avoid chafing.  Well done on getting out there anyway.
    Jools.. 11m nicely done .. similar weather due here, it looks very wild tomorrow.
    TT.. Great session, I guess you have the discomfort under some sort of control if you can do that without any problems.  FWIW I can tackle minor electrical stuff at home but leave the major stuff to the pros!
    11m this morning, showers forecast so put a gilet on in anticipation.  5.5 into the wind and 5.5 wind assisted back.  No rain at all though it started to come down within 15 minutes of finishing, a wetting luckily avoided.  :)
  • Options
    Wardi - generally dodged the weather well there. You seem to have a knack for that.
    TR - I know you're not a fan of rest days but sounds like you really need one. Well toughed out though.
    JH - Idyllic sounding cycle there. I've been to the New Forest quite a bit and pretty much always regret not taking a bike.
    Jools - Great idea with the masseuse. Helps keep the economy going too!
    TT - That's a big session. I suspect I'd forget what I was supposed to be doing halfway through that!
    CC2 - Cracking mileage the other day. A big confidence boost to manage that kind of thing midweek.

So initial consultation with cardiologist was brief. I have an echocardiogram next week, 24 hour ECG and exercise ECG as well where they look at how my heart is behaving whilst i'm on the treadmill. That will spell 2 weeks without running and so unfortunately at the very least I'm back to square one, even if they all come back fine. But the main thing is I should have a pretty clear idea I hope if there's anything amiss. We'll see what they say and go from there.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Fingers crossed then joe

Wardi - i wear cycling type shorts when it rains, also have some 2 in 1s too.

Wild out today, a rest day is possible but id have to walk the 5m minimum home in order to be able to run back and be able to cycle home tomorrow. If i cycle home tonight then my bike will be in the wrong place. It gets logistical.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Felt ok, so turned left out of the industrial estate which means 9m minimum, but get to run the lanes instead of the main road, 10m in total.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice commuting miles on a wild day.  I used to have to think carefully about having clothes, keys etc in the right place on a run/cycle work commute. 
    Joe.. frustrating for you but it's for the best, hope all the analysis is worry free.

2 x 4.2m today, one on the treadie this morning with a decent view of upended wheelie bins.  2nd run up a reasonably sheltered muddy trail, winds had diminished to 'quite strong'.  Managed to dodge squally showers either side too.
  • Options
    Hailstones. F*ing hailstones. Ouch.

Sounds a bit scary Joe, but at least you'll know what you're dealing with and hopefully it turns out to be just ones of those things.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - similar here. Was smoked after the fartlek so went out thinking I'd be happy with a very easy 5 or 6, and somehow ended up with the 12 on my schedule.

joe - I mainly made it up as I went along (had the initial 7 x 3/3 in mind, but that was it). I kept it as structured as I know if I didn't I'd overdo it, and as I tired just shortened the faster stuff, but kept the effort the same. Not as convoluted as it sounds. Don't worry about the time off; fitness comes back quickly.

Wardi - nice mileage. Our council provided new canvas bags for recycling. Yesterday was the first day they went out. Apparently they're weighted. Judging by the amount of time flying around the avenue I'm going to guess they could have done with a bit more weight in them......
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    My legs felt a bit pants this morning, so I opted for 6 plodded rather than 7 as my recovery run.  It didn't help that the weather is still a bit grim and the boy-cat decided 5am was breakfast time.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    10m @ 80% effort earlier (MP+30-40s so similar to a P&D MP+10% I guess), and a 4m recovery later made for a nice day's work. Typically the weather was much calmer for the recovery run! 

Jools - our dog is like that; between 5 and 6 she'll look to go out to the loo, and then of course that means it's breakfast time seen as we're up!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice double in the conditions TT.  By way of refuse contrast, our local council gave all houses 4 full size wheelie bins about a year ago - rubbish, greens, card/paper, cans,bottles & plastic.  Fortunately our front drive is big enough to tuck them out of sight, the two rows of terraced houses nearby are not so lucky.  No chance of fitting them in their small back yards so their whole back alley has now been nicknamed 'wheelie bin boulevard' often complete with the occasional cat perched on top.

Jools.. crikey that's early, it was usually the sound of our cat hissing/fighting that woke us up in darkness.

Just over 9m today, managed to find a reasonably sheltered route again.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- agreed, the logistics become a pain t times. Well done on finding a sheltered route on a day like today.

TT - i like that P and D pace, makes the time pass without being too tough.

I did 10m inc 12x3min/30 sec today, which replaces the missing 40min temp. Waa barely making fwd progress at times into the wind.

Dorney are still saying they are going ahead, but it wont be confirmed until 22nd march earliest, doesnt matter this week as its still 3 weeks away.
  • Options
    I never could do the maths when it came to percentages of minute mile times. Assuming I want 6.45s as MP (as per my 2014 race), what is +10% and +20%? I have in mind something like 7.25s and 8s, but I'm probably making that up!