Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I like the sound of the bike ride OO

Plenty if food options Wardi

Joe - good that you are feeling more like it.

Jools - good idea, i hope the coverage is decent

Felt a bit ropey last night and through today, so no running today. 2 rest days in 2 weeks will lead to fitness if im not careful.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Wise to rest if the jab has left you feeling a bit out of sorts TR.  Might take a few days to be completely free of symptoms.
    Jools.. nice MLR.. & thanks for the heads up on the Marathon trials.  I did hear it might be on the BBC/Red Button on Friday?
    Steady progress Joe, sounds like an enjoyable 9 miles.
    Pleasant sunny day so took the opportunity to get out for just over 14m.  I had decided to 'front-end' the week as both Friday & Sunday look wild & wet up here.
  • Jools - big 7 days that. I too am hoping to watch the olympic trials friday alongside work but suspect it will inspire me for my Friday run as well.
    TR - Sensible rest. Hope you are back at it pretty quickly.
    Wardi - my ears must have deceived me. I'm sure I heard a "heatwave" was coming. That's a big run for a Wednesday but you have to make the most of it.

Stuck to the plan for today's 9 miles with 6x800m @ 5k pace (although I switched that to half miles). Reps were pretty solidly 2:52 and I reckon as a pace I judged that about right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - 14m in the sun sounds nice.

Good one on the reps joe

Felt ropey last night, and pretty sleepy, but HR was ok this morning so i set off for an easy 6m commute, toyed with going home after 1m, but it got a bit easier. One of those days when you wonder if you should be doing it, but it got a bit better.....remember thinking to myself, thank fck im not running Dorney in 9 or 10 days.......hopefully ill be ok to run long saturday.

Racing has had the ok, Dorney is on, but then i remembered what id said to myself when i was running this morning. My body has 3 extra weeks for the vaccine to do its thing before i run a mara.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Addendum: The bike ride on Tuesday was great, until the rear mech snapped on a hill climb ( luckily 1 mile from home). I reckon I was putting down too much power. :-)
    Good thinking Wardi, and a good 14m banked.
    Joe - Good session and a good pace.
    TR - Good news for those targeting Dorney, I think you made the right call though going for Goodwood, especially considering your CV and recent jab. 
    Still running round and round an adjacent field, 9m yay and 4m today. Got my new shin cold gel knee pad today so hopefully that will sort out my niggle.
  • Wardi - marathon trials on iplayer and british athletics website I believe.
    TR - No harm in those extra few weeks, on the whole you don't seem to mind the big weeks, whereas I'm sure some are desperate to get it over and done with.
    OO - I hope you have some good music or podcasts for those laps. If you were clipped in on the climb you did well not to come off?

6 miles proper recovery today. Didn't have to slow myself down, my legs didn't really fancy it and the weather was so nice it was just nice to be out.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. thanks for that.  I have a man coming round at 8am to do some stone wall repairs so I might as well tune in as I'll be up & about!
    OO.. unlucky with the bike, was it the cable or the mech itself?  I had to do a roadside repair on Mrs Wardi's bike last summer when the crank fell off on one side.  Good to see you can still run a bit.
    TR.. I've seen a lot of runners buzzing that Dorney is on.  Shame you can't do it but under the circumstances Goodwood should be worth waiting for.

I'm relieved for the marathon trialists that they haven't got our weather forecast for tomorrow - damp & strong winds.  Sunday & Monday look wild up here too.
    Legs a bit cranky today so a single run of 6.3m done.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    It was the mech hanger snapping, 3rd time its happened on this particular road bike, always when I am climbing slowly up a steep hill in the lowest gear and yes Joe the bike did come to a complete stop, so a bit of swift unclipping was required.  They are designed to snap apparently when on steep hills in the wrong gear, but no real gear alternatives with this hill.

Some great displays and back ground stories from the winners of thus mornings marathons.  Made-up for Chris Thomson, what a week he has had, and 39! 

Very windy yet pleasantly sunny with blue skies here, so off for another 4m, (no I will go mad and do 5m) in a mo.  The irritation/ pain is declining so hopefully it will more like marathon training next week. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Good news on the shin OO

Chris Thompson was awesome, his post race interview is the best thing ive watched in ages. He looked proper old scholl running in what looked like his PE kit and plimsoles. Great to see a race where the coverage is fully on the brits ad theres places at stake.......good going from the old guys, Andrew Davies did 2.15 as m40 and ian leitch (who is south coast) did 2.17 as m45.

Did a wind battered easy 8m early doors, felt better than yday. Hopefully i can run long tomorrow, ill do it as laps so i can stop if needed.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Aye looks like the niggle may be on it's way out OO but steady as she goes.
    TR.. blowing a hooley all day here too!  Yes I enjoyed the coverage, nice to see a GB elite event with something at stake.  Chuffed for Thompson and some cracking times elsewhere.
    2 x 4m today, did the 2nd run on the treadie which was just as well as I got to watch a 20 minute hailstone storm out of the window!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    12 miles with 3 X 4km @ MP. 16.48 (bit keen: aiming for 17 flat); 17.04: 16.54.  A bit too much of a breeze, but otherwise very pleasant.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice session jools, was defo a bit breezy out today.

I wanted to do 22 inc some effort today, but that was never going to happen as i still feel off the boil. So aimed for 14ish with a view to keep tagging on for as long as i could. Managed to grind out 20. Hopefully i can get rattling for a few sessions soon.
  • TR - Well done. I'm not sure i could do a run like that. I'd be home after 14 miles. 
    Jools - breezy weather and a breezy first 4k. you settled back in nicely.
    Wardi - agreed a great event to watch and good for these athletes to get the coverage which they can otherwise lose in the big events. One of my old teammates was pacing the women. Looked so comfortable.
    OO - sounds promising. Hope you are coming back strong.

11 miles today with a few marathon paced miles. Lovely morning but breeze was hitting me late on. Feeling much better than the start of the week
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice 11m with MP Joe, seems you are a bit more confident now post tests.
    Great MLR session Jools, sunny but 19mph winds here this morning - hope you fared better.
    TR.. you did well to grind out 20m if you weren't really up for it.  Good miles bagged.
    Had a chat with a girl in our club (mid 30's) who I hadn't seen for a while.  Turns out she caught covid just after Xmas and is still struggling.  She's a fit athletic young thing but is now only just back to a run/walk strategy.  Covid really seems to clobber some people badly.

9m today, managed to find a sheltered route but still very windy.  Tomorrow looks worse!  It's Mrs Wardi's birthday today so I have uncorked a very decent bottle of wine to have with an Italian takeaway.

• Morning all, happy summertime.  Not a great deal to report - that ankle problem I had hasn't entirely disppeared but it's reduced enormously by not using the very stiff carbon Hokas that I found on offer every run.  But otherwise it's just been some steady runs, 3 or so a week and getting on the bike other days.  Nothing spectacular but looking forward to getting back to  some faster stuff soon.

Marathon trials were good, apart from the commentators constantly debating the pros and cons of male pacemakers in the womens' race and the cameras completely missing Chris Thompson coming back to the leaders.  

Sad to see the death of Dick Hoyt.  Ran Boston 32 times pushing his son Rick, and did lots of ironman triathlons too.  I believe his marathon PB is around 2:40, set in his 50s while pushing Rick.  Absolute legend.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Morning, CD. Good to hear you are keeping things ticking over. I've had to do a lot of ankle flexibility and strength work this last year. Dull but keeps problems at bay.

18 this morning. Legs weren't really in the mood, and the wind was pretty testing in places, but it made 63 for the week. Psychologically helpful to know I can do 90% of peak mileage without too many issues!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good that you're feeling better

CD - nice to see you, ive read of folks reporting injuries from training in the carbon shoes too often, but that's more achilles.

Jools- good stuff, was a bit wild at times here.

Legs we'rent as battered today as i thought they might be, and 4 weeks out is a good weekend to put some miles in so applied the same tactics as yday with keep tagging on and ended up with 15m more, so just over 2 hrs of time on feet pn a windy day to back up ydays 20m.
  • Wardi - red wine with an Italian I presume? Wasn't too windy here, certainly not on the scale of some of the wind we've had last 6 months.
    CD - good if you may have got to the root of the problem. The dewi Morris stuff was also annoying but I guess we could all end up doing that.
    Jools - very good. Job done.
    TR - that's a big weekend, ultra runner styley. very nice.

15 miles for me. 50 for the week. Big mileage weeks to come. they will be the real test.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    TR - Nice work - that's a big couple of days.  So cake nearly baked, time for the quicker and sharper stuff. 
    Joe - A 50m week sure gives you the base to kick-on, what are you aiming for peak weekly mileage? 
    Joolska - Another solid week, your in a great place for when you start 'proper' marathon training. 
    CD - Ticking over is a fair strategy for now. 
    Wardi - I suppose for the younger and fitter ones, its long covid which is the real threat.  Chastening tale.  I hope she bounces back. Also hope you enjoyed the wine on Friday.

10m on Friday and 15 (5/10) today so getting back into it, and niggle getting far better, so 52m for the week which is decent for now.  Plenty on the UTMB FB page fearing the worse for the UTMB week in France in late August with international travel issues!  Bit soon to call either way  but am keeping a keen eye on it as don't want to spend too much time doing lots of slow hilly high mileage weeks (with its effects on pace and sub 3 attempts in late September) if not going to have the chance to race. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Joe - sounds like you're over whatever the blip was. 15m is a long way.

Fingers crossed OO. Yep, hope to get a couple of sessions in. I did a few tempo runs and more recently some 3 min reps, hoping for a decent ~ 2 weeks now.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I have a UK music festival in August which ATM they say is happening.  However I guess anything overseas is at risk depending on the state in that country.  I am just waiting to see regards Barca in November.  Great to hear your niggle is easing.
    Joe.. that's a decent week & a nice MLR in the bag.
    TR.. good miles again, it's was blowing 20mph Sunday and today here, should ease tomorrow.
    Jools.. a well toughed out long run in the wind and a decent week.
    I've had a slight return of the pesky nerve niggle that I had last year (glute to back of knee).  What I learned last time is that rest does nothing for nerve problems.  I will repeat last year's approach of continuing to run in a 'grin & bear it' fashion and cut the miles down a bit.  If it persisits I will see if I can get some treatment.  I did manage to rack up 63m from bigger miles early in the week. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 steady this morning, doing double chores: dropping off empty cat food sachets for recycling and then going to the bakery for bread and croissants.  Funnily enough, I then had a croissant as part of my breakfast.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PS: hope the nerve issue settles, Wardi.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Wardi - you know your body the best, hopefully you can free it up.

Good multitasking jools

10m easy commute home
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Quick turnaround for a cold and frosty 10m this morning inc 14x3min. Good to be moving a bit quicker.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That was a quick turnaround, TR.  7 miles with 12 sets of strides, and then some strength stuff.
  • OO - peak mileage in the plan is 70 miles (this week). I feel I just need 3 or 4 60s on the bounce to be in good shape. UTMB definitely under threat. got my fingers crossed for you though.
    Wardi - shame on the niggles but seems you know what you need to do. 
    Jools - pastries in the morning are my downfall. Good looking start to the week.
    TR - how did you manage cold and frosty today? Must have been early. Very nice out there now.

Rest yesterday and 11 beautiful ploddy miles today finding some off road paths. Official all clear from cardiologist. Said I performed very well on the treadmill and all he can recommend is more potassium in my diet.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - strides are good for leg turnover, how often do you do those. Pete Pf said he'd add more strides given the chance to update, once upon a time.

Good news Joe, get the bananas in. Reassuring news for sure. Yes, cold and frosty in the running lanes here, frost on car windscreens when i walked the dog first too. No warm running for me today.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I try and do strides most weeks, especially when base building.

Great news, Joe. That must be a weight off your mind.  Happy running!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice run and encouraging news Joe, hope you can stay clear of traumas from now on!
    Good training (& recycling) Jools.  I hear Tesco are going to start accepting crisp packets for recycling soon.  I do get through a few. :)
    TR.. nice back to back 10 milers, I guess the 3min is about 700-800m?
    Thanks for the sympathies.  I can still run ATM but as my right leg doesn't fire properly with this condition I tend to lose about 20-30 secs a mile in pace.  Still, better than nothing so I will do whatever miles I feel comfy with.
    2 x 4m today which was manageable.