Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    We have a plastic free shop near us which sells crisps in compostable packaging. They are a bit pricey, so I no longer eat crisps daily, but such a good product. And tasty crisps!
  • That's good news Joe!

Back to club training last night, first time since I broke my ankle in July. Grass reps, which I hate, but so good to be meeting up with other humans, especially female ones. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed female company, but I've literally only seen my friend Stuart (and his wife and kids in passing I suppose) for months and months!
  • Thanks all. Bananas and citrus fruits are the way to go apparently. I do like a fresh orange juice from our juicer so I can hammer those.

CC2 - grass sessions will do you good but not as good as running in a group again. Sounds great.
    Wardi - 20-30 seconds is no big issue in the grand scheme. A few extra mins on your 4 milers?

I was determined to do my 15 mile MLR today but bailed at 13. 22 degrees with no water and not as much shade as I would like had me out on my feet. I thought back to that hot London marathon when I ran up to London to watch. I would definitely have struggled to run 26.2 in it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. agreed it is nice to be back amongst fellow runners.  I have bumped into a few from the club & Park run over the months which has always given me a boost.
    Joe.. If I'm doing much over 13-14m on a warm day I usually put some water in a hedge bottom on the route, or choose a route where I know there is an outside tap.  London 2018 was indeed a sweatfest - 20 degrees at the start!  Well done getting 13m done anyway.
    Jools.. I'm not too fussy on crisps but Doritos are my weakness - particularly the large bags!
    I do enjoy a run in the warmth so couldn't resist a MLR this morning with blue sky & sun all around.  Just over 14m done, 16 degrees when I started, 21 when  I finished.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - good for you.

Joe - sounds warm there, it was a grey day here. 13m is enough for now.

Well done on the sunny mlr too wardi

10m comnute run home here, no sunshine or warmth to report.
  • Proper sweaty running last couple of days, lovely!

TR - I read that the old school black plimsolls that Chris Thompson looked to be running in were in fact (and unsurprisingly) blacked out vaporflys. So you can be old school and hi tech!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    CD - yes, on give him permission to use VF. He looked like he was in his PE kit, id have loved it if he had worn a T shirt in a TR stylie.
    Other spnsored runners do the same  although they dont all paint them, marders wears them too now.  Maybe i should get the paint out on my 4%.

5m easy today, real weary. Dont think id have been able to do 10m if i wanted to.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the body is telling you it wants a few days easy, TR!

7 steady this morning with a clubmate.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thats the plan jools, easy today and tomorrow, long run session saturday as its been a few weeks. Nearly taper time anyway.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - 60 mpw is in the right ball-park. A long run, a MLR, tempo and 2 easier runs should do it, easier said than done though.  13m gets you there.
    TR - I don't think your body has forgotten last weeks 20m followed by a 15m.  As Joolska said, and time to taper and sharpen now. Less is more or something like that. 
    Super day here today. Thought about time I did a proper run and not a general plod around 7.30-8.00 mm which I've been doing so a few weeks, so 11m inc a 9m progressive run from 7.30 down to 6.40.  Quite excited for the guys on other forums doing the Dorney marathon this weekend.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - agreed........followed by 10, 10 inc reps, 10......last decent week though.....sounds like a good run today. It was chilly again here this morning.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Chilly indeed TR!  A steady 5m for me too, long sleeves required. 7-8 degrees was a bit of a shock after 21 yesterday.
    Oh and don't go painting your shoes, you'll have Charlie back on here advising which paint is fastest.🤔

Nice progressive run OO, are your shins ok now?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Weather looks good for Dorney TR, must have realised you aren't going.  :)

Just over 9m today, still a bit on the cool side.  My grumbling leg was a lot better today so enjoyed the run a lot more.
    Have a good weekend all.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, still havnt seen any sun to run in here.  Cold again this morning......yes, ive done my bit for Dorney by keeping away. The gales are delaying for 3 wks.

Just 6m easy here this morning, long run inc mp tomorrow.
  • Nice Wardi. You certainly handled the heat better than me. I had similar struggles on Thursday where I really could have done with some gloves!
    TR - Good luck with that long run. You're getting a good mix of easy and sessions.
    OO - Good looking progressive run. I do quite like progressive runs for the mental game. Holding back and slowly releasing over time and wondering how that final rep or mile is going to go.

7 miles easy on Thursday. Yesterday should have been 12 miles with 7 @ HMP. In the midst of a 70 mile week with 22 miles Sunday that looked crackers. On top of the mileage this week i've been shifting tonnes of soil and hardcore from drive to garden and so pretty much everything hurts. So "rest day" yesterday, 9 miles this morning and 22 planned tomorrow. I think at this stage I can forgo most runs but I need to get the longer runs in.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Joe - imo the first thing to drop from p and d is the LT run if you need to drop anything, the long, medium and mp runs are the keys

3 wks til GW, so mp fitness test today after a few steady weeks to try and freshen up a bit as i was so smoked.
    The breezy day nearly convinced me to sack off the mp effort, but i need to know where my fitness is at.....so 4m, 13.1m, 3m......last summer i did the 13.1 which is lumpy in the first couple and last couple of miles 3 times between 1.27.01 and 1.27.14......1.27.42 today, some of the deficit will be due to the breeze, so thankfully im not too far behind where i was.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A fine effort TR, shame about the breeze but shows you're in good shape.  Nearly cotton wool time.
    Joe.. always a difficult balance fitting big miles in, particularly alongside physical tasks.  Hope the long run goes well tomorrow.
    Just over 11m for me this morning, a bit chilly but moderate winds & dry.  A t-shirt was just enough!  In my current physical state I think 10-12m will probably be my limit for a while but will see how it goes.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy Easter, thread.

I did intervals on Friday: 4 x 1M @ HM effort.  Surprised and pleased with 6.34, 6.31, 6.29 and 6.32.  I've just about got half marathon pace effort down to marathon PB pace: first time in years!  (I guess the legs were a bit fresher because I didn't have a MLR in the week because it was a cutback week.)

I did my long run yesterday (18 miles at a surprisingly sprightly 7.59m/m.  Same route as last week's 8.17m/m.  Just shows you shouldn't get too hung up on the pace a run comes out at, I guess!).  A recovery run today (7 miles @ 8.34s) so that I can do my MLR tomorrow.  55 for the week. Tiny bit of work to do today but then going for a walk in the glorious sunshine with Mr. Jools.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - 10 to 12 is decent mileage. Agreed time for me to wind it down a little.

Jools - that's another good week ticked off.

6m easy peasy  pace for me.
  • Jools - very good work and a happy Easter to you too.
    TR - Agreed. I can see how you can have good mileage or fast running but both together in a week is tough.
    Wardi - 10/12 definitely keeps the fitness up so shouldn't be a problem.

Legs hurt from mile 1 this morning and I was totally cooked after 10 so I'm glad I made it through 18.5 miles this morning. Not the planned 22 but I couldn't hack it. Focus for the next weeks has to be the longer runs. Heart rate is fine but legs have got to get me through 26.2

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. a great Fri/Sat mix of quality & quantity of miles, hope the walk was enjoyable.  Wind very strong up here though the sun is out.
    Joe.. that's still a decent length of run, no point in flogging a tired horse.
    TR.. you know by now what to do in a taper wind down, hope it is suitably uneventful.
    2 x 4m today to keep the legs ticking over.  Surprised to see I've notched up 64m this week, it somehow feels like less!  In other news, it may be Easter Sunday but our local curry house is open. Surely rude not to take advantage. :p
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Shins much better thanks. 64m is a very healthy weekly total, well done.
    Joolska - Good to see that set of 6.30 mm, nice work.
    Joe - well toughed out and 18.5m is a very decent run.
    TR - You've flown through your mp test with that 1.27.40, so much harder in the midst of a tough training plan. Looking good for GW.
    A 13 & 4m doubles to give 52m for the week, a bit low but not feeling 100% this week. 

• It's really windy here too. Made for quite a battle on some parts this morning, offset by a nice little push in the other direction. The 6.38 mile was considerably less effort than the 7.09. Even splits were not happening today. I think the average probably came out about where it was supposed to though. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A very steady 12 this morning. It was rather cool, a bit blustery and I my right shin felt a bit tight and grumbly, although it seems fine now. Tomorrow was always going to be a rest day, and I think it will come at just the right time!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe  - how many weeks til race day,? Your legs will adapt although i still have plenty of achey legged runs nowadays.

Wardi - hope the curry was good

OO - well done on the double, not sure id have got out for the 4m.......agreed, the 13.1 test was a boost, im hopefully not far off where i was in Sept. Wind strength will be the biggest issue (again), but as ever its an uncontollable, just got to hope for better weather than last time. 
  • Wardi - the curry house is always calling although the other half is on a bit of a diet atm which is a shame. Thats a big week!
    OO - I'd be happy with a 52m down week but hopefully you're back up to full strength soon.
    CC2 - nice running. wise not to look too hard at the splits.
    TR - good start to the week. 7 weeks until race day yesterday.

I missed a 20 miler with the heart issue and so not completing yesterday's run only leaves one more 20 in the plan. That would be my worry at this stage. Hitting MP is fine, keeping HR down too is ok but I haven't run much over 2 hours let alone closer to 3. I'd feel better if I can get a 20 and a 22 done with keeping up the midweek MLRs and just let the other miles run themselves.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - whilst P and D is about the accumulation of training and the medium runs backing up the long runs and mp runs,  you could still run 20m (or more) 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2 weeks out if you wanted to, or on some of those days.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. TR is right, schedules are a good guide but we have to fit our lives and niggles around them.  I remember reading advice that a runner should try to be as fresh as possible before a long run.

TR.. a decent 10m done, is it 3 weeks to GW now?

Jools.. nice MLR, hope your shin settles down.  

Very windy here all day, plus frost in the bird bath this morning!  Got out for a sunny but gusty 10k on the most sheltered route I could find.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all!

Wardi - good training as always. You must be one of the most consistent on here in terms of volume. Nerve issues are frustrating so hopefully you can shift it asap.

Joe - good to see you back at it. The tests are worth it for peace of mind.

OO - rough on the shin splints, but looks like you managed it smartly.

CC2 - nice 10 miler.

Jools - good volume and sessions. Glad to see things are coming along nicely for you!

TR - looks like a good shout with Goodwood given the timing of your jab.

Been a few weeks since I posted. I followed up my 63m week with a 36, a 33, and a 48, but no drama involved for the lower mileage - it was simply a combination of post jab fatigue and masses of diy (demolition, rebuilding, rewiring, woodworking, plastering, etc).

Managed some hills yesterday, and an easy 15m today, so a decent start to the week, but from now until the end of May needs more of the above diy wise, so mileage might be lower, haphazard, or both!