Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I just removed one of those old style boxes whilst stripping back the wiring actually. 5 in a rsj though; yikes!! Glad to hear it is looking positive so far. Fingers crossed.

Doing marathons back to back..... I found 3 weeks between to be too close for me personally, but 4 weeks apart (New Forest/Abo) I pb'd in both, though I was on a huge improvement curve then (20 minutes in a year) and Abo is a much kinder course so not necessarily a linear correlation that back to back equals pbs.

Having said that, Lydiard used to have his guys run a marathon time trial about 20-30s per mile slower than target pace 3-4 weeks out and that worked well for them. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles with a clubmate this morning at a spritely 7.45m/m.  This is just about the best time of year for running: the mornings are still cool and pleasant, but lovely sunshine to lift the spirits.  And no breezes to battle today, either.  
  • Options
    TR - I hadn't spotted that. Very quick times at Dorney compared to Kempton Park. No shortage of people to run with at the sharper end. I guess we have to applaud the times people are running but without knowing if it's pretty much the shoe effect only.
    Wardi/TT - I don't know if you remember but I ran Abingdon in 2019 5 weeks before my first sub 3. My focus was the sub 3 but as painful as I was I have to believe a slower marathon even 5 weeks before must have done me some good even though I struggled to a 3:30.
    TT - I could have made good use of you at our house over the last year. Sounds like you are pretty handy!
    Jools - Autumn brings back good memories for me in terms of a time of year to run but have to say the last couple of weeks have been very pleasant. Noticed when I woke up this morning how still it was. Feels like we've had a breezy year so far.

11 for me this morning. My 18 w/ 14 miles at MP coming Sunday. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - avreed, nice the northerly wind has dropped.

Joe - agreed, the shoe tech isnt going away, and if folks want to be competitive then they need to get on it. More affordable than the bike part of tri though, which i was involved in for a while. Hope the mp run goes well, good feeling whens thats bagged.

5m easy here, planned 7 but was pushed for time and was pretty close to home around 4m in.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's the stuff TR, just keep ticking over at this stage.  I feel very strange & out of sorts if I don't run for 2-3 days.

Good miles this morning Jools & Joe, yes lovely weather for running ATM.

25 pleasant miles on the bike for me to give my leg a bit of non impact turnover.  I had to think about what to wear as it is quite a cool back draft when you're whizzing along, 11 degrees here but very bright and clear.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good man for getting on the bike.

The plan was 5m, 6m mp, 3m today, for 14m. Even got on the flat to see if i could hold consistent 6.40s, but bumped into a coastal breeze which scuppered even pace/effort, average came out 6.47 but range was 6.57 to 6.40. Anyway its icked off and training is complete.......wore a new pair of plimmies to get some miles on them before next wk and they made the ball of my foot sore (which is an ingoing nggle). So i need to feed that some sudocrem (its not just for little bums), should have used them for ydays 5m, 14m is a bit far first outing.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Shame about the breeze TR, calm as a millpond here.  Good session banked though.  Odd about those shoes, though the experts do say don't use a new pair for a marathon!  My NB's are usually good to go pretty much out of the box but I would still rather bed them in for a couple of weeks.
    5k test run earlier, I reckon the leg is 80% better than before so will ease back into it with no big runs for a while.  A steady 20m on the bike this afternoon as it is such a nice day.
    Hope Charlie goes well tomorrow, conditions look good.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR- punchy 14m, one week out, nice one on getting the training block finished. Nice and easy now this week with the odd supercharged 1 and 2k. Did you give the 4% a trial outing? 
    Wardi - a nice bit if cardio exercise, 11c is on my cusp in terms of outdoor cycling for as you say can get a bit chilly.
    Joe/TR - interesting with the Dorney stats. In the HM I did in Dec, 6 out of the top 10  all sub 80 minutes PB on a hilly course  so some people have really trained well this year.
    17.25m this morning, very enjoyable run in the sun with around 4m of trail then 13m of forest tracks in just over 2 hrs 20 with 1600 ft of climbing. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Wardi- good news on the hammy. Ive had a sore foot for a while where the arch meets rhe big toe,  ive tried to get rid of the hard skin, but it still gets sore at times. My sauconys arent super cushioned , so a new pair set it off. I'll leave it to harden up, and put some surgical spirit on it.

OO - sounds a great run. Theres defo folks inproved due to the combined effects of trsinjng more/less racing and the shoes. More or less half that 100 were over 40 too.......6m inc 2mp planned for Tues. i got as far as putting them on and heading for the door at run time, but then wibbled and went back in and swapped them for my sauconys, as i didnt want to risk something different........and then hurt my foot on the Sauconys. I might have to race in my pegasus if the foot stays sore as they are more cushioned.  We'll see.

Got a few frothies lined up for later.
  • Options
    TR - bummer on the foot pain. I need to give the 4%s a run out at some point. Hoping something like a 10k will do it. You can't go far wrong with the pegasus' though. Should be fine to race in.
    OO - big run that. Nice one. Good climbing too and hopefully good on the joints.
    Wardi - good to be back on feet. Sure you'll build the distance over time.

Cracking morning for an effort. Treated the run today like a bit of a race with a warm up and warm down. 18m total with my 14m run at average 6:17 min/mile. Much more comfortable than the previous marathon paced runs. Ran pretty much to feel and only got a bit tough after I ran a 6:07 for mile 10. Another 60m week banked.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - excellent run, 14 av 6.17 is very tidy, sounds like you coped well. That run for me is pretty much as hard as i can go on the day.......i need to get on top of this foot sore spot, i dont know wether to temove more skin or leave it. Ive been putting surgical spirit on it since yday which should help.

4m easy today wasnt too bad in the new shoes.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hope the foot settles, TR. You're due a good marathon!

That sounds like a decent workout, RJR. Not surprised you felt the 6.07 mile.

7 with strides yesterday and then 20 on fresher than usual legs today, which probably explains the pace: 7.47s. 58 for the week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    A thoroughly decent pace for the 20m Jools, hope you had the sun & blue sky too.

TR.. a pair of the popular NB1080's give me a sore spot behind the big toe, I can't run more than 5m in them.  They are a bit chunkier and have a thicker sole than my usual NB selection so I put it down to that - none of their other variants have ever bothered me.  Hope you can get your foot sorted.

Joe.. that's a cracking 14m section, you must be very chuffed with that.  Sounds like your legs have gradually adapted to the long runs and tempo efforts.

OO.. that sounds like a nice long run, always more enjoyable when the weather gods are smiling.

I decided to run on my 2m racecourse loop this morning so that I could dib out if I was in any discomfort.  Glorious morning, no problems apart from the odd twinge and my 'as you are' pace has improved by 15-20 secs a mile.  10.5m done without any traumas, I will indulge in a mini celebration with a couple of frothies and the inevitable curry later.
  • Options
    My oven cleans itself...

Mallory Park 10k today. First race since XC in Jan 2020 and first 10k since summer 2019. I was in the sub 40 race, and from the predicted times I genuinely feared I'd be last. It was 6 and a half laps, and at the end of lap one and two I was back in 37th/38th (out of 43 starters). But I finished 23rd in 39.05 and a big negative split. They didn't give a half way time and the Garmin was well out due to the laps, but on Garmin stats my miles were:
    6.09 (shit, that's too fast, better chill my beans a bit)
    6.15 (still faster than planned but actually I feel fine so lets see how it goes)
    6.16 (yup, this is fine)
    6.09 (fook it, put your foot down a bit, you're barely breathing)
    6.07 (isn't 10k supposed to hurt more than this?)
    6.02 (well sub 40 is definitely on, but it's waaaay further than 0.2 to the finish line)
    last 0.39 miles at 5.26 pace (the clock is heading for 39, can I beat it, and can I beat the Halesowen girl?) (No, not quite, and yes, got her!)

Everyone measured it long, but it has a certificate so most likely GPS error. Strava reckons I ran 10k in 38.01, but we all know that Strava PBs are great big lies!

Any way, that's my third fastest 10k ever, my fastest since my glory year of 2014 and a V40 PB. After 5 months off with a broken ankle in 2020. I'm happy with that!

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    CC2-Speedy, get in, cracking performance.  Rowing against time. 
    Wardi - Great news, that must have come as a relief. 
    Joe - Cracking run, 6.17 mm is a great outcome for a 14m. Really good confidence booster.
    TR - A few more days, hope that sore spot sorts itself out.
    Jools - Another cracking 20m, well done. 
  • Options
    Jools - nice 20. Longer runs on fresh legs feel much more comfortable. I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing though.
    TR - good to see new shoe success.
    Wardi - that's very encouraging. Can't keep a good man down for long! Hope the curry and beers were well received.
    CC2 - Nice race report, really enjoyed that. Cracking result as well. Should be a good confidence boost. With those split times looks like you could have run a pretty good half, speeding up as you go.

Still buzzing about yesterday but have to remember it was "only" 14 miles. Rest day today. Priority now is to get a couple more 20 milers in before race day
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Jools - another good week, itll soon be P and D time.

Wardi - good news, well done on letting it settle properly instead of getting straight back to it after that injection.

CC - nice, good to see you going well. The cosching os obviously paying off, and you had some decent weather.

Joe - that "only" 14m is about as far as youd get in training, it puts you nicely under your 2.50, so quite right to be buzzing.

5m run commute home.

Wind is forecast for Sunday but not as bad as last time. Shame but not a surprise.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. no sign of 'storm Gertrude' or whatever, currently looks like 9-11mph winds which would normally be ok.  Is it an exposed course?
    CC2.. that's a great result given the lack of Parkruns, other races etc as preparation, plus a long way back to fitness from your ankle injury.  Nice one!
    Joe.. had a Pathia curry last night - it's my 'go to' choice when I can't make my mind up and I always enjoy it.
    Ran a steady 4m with Mrs Wardi today, very warm and a completely blue sky.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Wardi - 25mph gusts, super exposed but its an airfield/motor cct so no surprise. Not as bad as last time though and hopefully a better direction. Its beyond my control though.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR So long as it's just gusts we'll be OK. It's pretty similar in Glos Sunday too. KO is 9am for me. What time you off?
    CC2 That is a class 10K time & report, lovely splits. Coaching is paying dividends already.
    RJR That's a cracking LR
    OO Spotted a couple of decent LRs from yourself recently whilst reading through. Great prep for the Summer if you do get the go ahead.
    Joolska Making excellent progress ready for a proper Autumn build-up.
    Wardi Glad to hear the streak-breaking lay-off was mercifully brief.
    TT Good to hear from you again. Hope you stay healthy & involved for longer this time.

15.6M Saturday as my last LR which I ran progressively on Sunday's course with the last 5 at MP
    Easy 11K yesterday
    4M track session at lunch 2x 6x200m off 200m easy. 1st set were 5:55 pace & 2nd set were 5:35
    Tapering at last: 5 easy & flat miles each day for the rest of the week & then 4 on Saturday.

TR - Goodwood, 25th April
    Jooligan - Shepperdine 25th April
    RJR - Peterboro 22nd May, Liverpool 24th Oct
    OO - Afan Valley Trail  26th June, OCC 26 Aug, Madrid 26 Sep, London 3 Oct
    Wardi.. VLM 3rd Oct, Barca Nov 7th
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - agreed, just the odd gust per lap would be ideal. 9am here too, so we'll be running togerher.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TR - Goodwood, 25th April, 4th July.
    Jooligan - Shepperdine 25th April
    RJR - Peterboro 22nd May, Liverpool 24th Oct
    OO - Afan Valley Trail  26th June, OCC 26 Aug, Madrid 26 Sep, London 3 Oct
    Wardi.. VLM 3rd Oct, Barca Nov 7th
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    6 inc 2 ~mp today.

I wondered why the met office had now put sundays wind speed in bold letters......
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. best of luck in your event, I must have missed that one!

TR.. the BBC don't think the breezier stuff will arrive until afternoon.  You should be home and hosed by then!  York racecourse is also very exposed, I cope ok until the wind reaches 13mph or more.  Plenty of time 'til Sunday. 🤔

22m on the bike today, nice cycling weather.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, its supposed to be around yr coping level, but met office ( who bbc follow) show gust speed too. As you say it will hopefully blow through earlier.........wind watching is irrelevant when its vlm time, where the sheltered route pays off.
  • Options
    TR - hopefully much ado about nothing with the wind. How's your body coping with the taper?
    Jooligan - great to be able to run on the course. Some solid run there in the taper. Hope it goes well!
    Wardi - solid curry choice. Lots of lovely bike weather lately and more to come i think. Thursday and Friday look great.

9.5m yday nice and easy. Bit cramped for time today between meetings so thinking of a double. Aiming for fresh legs for 10k tune up Friday.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - 10k tune up will be a good indicator to go with yr 14m mp. Legs feel ok, i had my hammies worked on a few weeks ago, got the usual taper 2 ton quads as expected.

5m easy run in, no more hilly runs now, just a few jogettes. The predicted wind gust speed (30mph)  is interfering with my motivation, but its an uncontrollable and not as strong as last sept. Fckn sods law though.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I did do 2 laps of the racecourse this morning, similar wind speeds to what you're expecting on Sunday by the look of it (11-12mph).  Mild nuisance value is how I would describe it in the breezy section, though obviously could become wearing in a marathon.  Didn't affect my pace at all but I wouldn't want it any windier in a long distance event for sure.  Just keep an eye on those gusts!
    Joe.. good luck with the 10k solo effort.
    Just over 10m for me then, a bit coolercloudier than the last few days but still ok for t-shirt & shorts.  The sun is back out now!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed nuisance for sure. Current prediction i for av speed of 17. If it stayed at that its do-able, i remember the gusts last time really pushing against you, but as before its an uncontrollable, so its a do your best on the day.......the cct is more or less a triangle that goes NW (the longest side, this was into wind last time), East and then SW. Sunday the running East will be into the wind but its the shortest of the 3 sides luckily, it also helps that its 11 laps so its not 6 or 7m of rnning into the wind in one go......should defo be overall easier than Sept and i only need to go a smidge quicker.
  • Options
    TR - aye, should be an interesting one. I haven't got the speed of last autumn but I'm going to give the shoes a whirl so hopefully a reasonable time. Will be easy to judge yourself on time but you can still prove a lot to yourself if the wind is trouble. Guess if its really bad you can save yourself a little for another day.
    Wardi - I think the warmth is generally here to stay. Some surprising rain last night, just after we'd watered the soil ready for grass seeds! Mileage coming back to you nicely.

12.4m for me today. Came up a bit short of 14m. Tummy trouble meant I could walk ok but was struggling to run. luckily really kicked in pretty close to home.