Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - agreed, strong is where you need to be. Those 6.17s bode well, get the longer runs ticked offand you'll be well placed.......yep, at worse i can tick my gfa box for 2022. Hopefully it blows through early.

4m inc 5 x 30sec/30sec, feels like race time doing that run. Soon be time to find out some gels and safety pins.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Short double for me today, 5.5m+4m.  Glorious out there, barely a cloud in the sky.

Hope the taper isn't driving you nuts TR!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - whilst i like the routine of a normal week, i dont mind this week too much although the minimal lengrh runs get a bit wtfp? Defo dont miss an expo trip though!........ not sure if im missing the running miles or the frothies the most.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - we know it's the beers, pick 3 of your favourites to reward yourself on Sunday and what would they be?
    Been on a bit of a road trip the past few days  ostensibly work related but able to catchup with my son and brother. Cornwall - South Wales- Birmingham, by far my longest drive for 18+ months. Able to squeeze some runs in thankfully. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good multitasking with the trip.

My 3 most favourite beers at the mo are Ghost Ship, Proper Job and Hop House 13 (hoppy lager), it does change though from a list of many.......after a long run or race though I'll defo have a few lagers, so probably a big peroni, a big hop house and then a couple of grazing lagers for quantity. Best not buy them until Sunday afternoon though, or I'll get a sulk on in disgust at the weather forecast and drink the lot on the fridsy night, like last time.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR - I have 2 of those 3 in the fridge! Agree you can't beat a cold clean lager post a decent run.  The multi-tasking was good as my brother joined me on the run, as we are both doing the oly triathlon on May 8th, though another run was at the worryingly early time of 6 am due to meetings.  Hope the conditions turn out OK for you. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    OO - nice, im the only running fool in my family......the forecast is getting worse, its in the low 30s now for wind speed, nothing i can do about it, at worse its a gfa tick off opportunity, is yr mate Steve doing Shepperdine?........go read about that Big Dog ultra on bbc website, makes 11 windy laps of an airfield seem a bit petty.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Good luck for tomorrow TR & Jooligan. 

If it is a bit windy, find a friend,  and take it in turns to get your face into the wind, or tuck in behind a group. No beers tonight lads the only time I never had a beer before a marathon I got my 3 minute PB.   Race faces on, good luck and hope your hit your targets.  Enjoy the beers afterwards. 

Read that about Big Dog, completely nuts - I'd do 8 or 9 laps maximum.   Steve is doing a 29m race in June hence a 25m training run last weekend!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Cheers OO. No alcohol since a heavy night last Saturday, no coffee since Wednesday & not run more than 4.5M or climbed more than 150’ in a day since Sunday so 🤞it’s been worth it. 
    Been wondering about CBD - you still using it?
    I might get a couple of Proper Jobs in for after
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - ha ha, hopefully theres a fat bastard running 6.45s (apart from me). 9 patient laps and then 2 laps of race face is the plan, i hope to sleep through the first 20m.......got some 0% beer for tonight, theres a first time for everything.

I know the 6.40s (2.55) splits off by heart, so will wear a 2.57 pace band simply as its between where i think id be on a still day and 3.00, so i lnow where i am with respect to sub3 pace, and ive no idea how much the wind will slow me. Chance to bag a GFA as a minimum.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best wishes for Sunday chaps, hope that wind moves away or calms down from 9-12!
    Good to see some beer talk, I'm just enjoying a couple of Stellas.
    10k in the sun this morning, will try a double digit run tomorrow
  • Yes best of British to you both. Great to be discussing actual races and post race beers. I'm still partial to Brooklyn when I see it on the shelves. Although I do try and steer clear of anything too strong. 

Saying that I've been good recently as the 4kg I amassed since december is taking its merry time to bugger off. I reached the dizzy heights of 50 miles  two weeks ago (easier week last). 4 weeks left of my 12 week re-build. Going ok. Motivation has returned. Cant wait to get stuck into vlm training properly. 

• TR and Jooligan - hope tomorrow goes well. Will be good to see some race reports and I've no doubt the times will be good.
    I too read the big dog article. Amazing what humans are capable of sometimes. The mental strength as much as anything.
    SJ - that's great to hear, hoping you can get back into the shape you were before Oulton Park was cancelled.

A mere 3 miles Thursday as time was tight. Should have been tune up 10k yesterday. Went out at a pace that might be OK on fresh legs but no good in marathon training so I ended up doing 5k @ 10k pace, 5k @ marathon pace. With some bits either side to make it 10m. Rest today, 20m tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The 0% beer was awful, drank 3 and poured the 4th away. Good job normal beer doesnt taste like that, although it would defo cut my consumption if it did.

SJ - good to see you, great news on the mojo. You were unlucky with what happened in December, so it will be good to see you going well again.

Joe - that was still a good 10k, you are in max training now a 10k hard effort is a very tough run. Your 14mp is your marker, focus on the long and medium runs.

2m jogette done, wind speeds at the mo are a but lower than tomorrows predicted speeds, so i ran 1m out into it, didnt seem too bad until a gust flipped my cap off. I'll leave the cap in the car tomorrow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 miles with 4 X 1 mile off 3 minutes jog today. 6.23, 6.26, 6.23 and 6.30. Nice to see the times continuing to improve. I might even be back below 6.20 for mile reps sooner than I dared to hope!

I agree that still sounds like a tough workout, Joe. I couldn't hit 10k pace for a long tempo outside a race environment.

Best of luck, TR. I tend to favour small beer over alcohol free. Local brewery Wiper and True does a lovely small beer. It was a bit breezy in Brizzle this morning, but better than the last two days, so fingers crossed the weather god's smile on you tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Another good session ticked off jools, thanks for the wishes......no doubt theres some decent low alcohol beers out there, I'll do some research before next time. I expect low alcohol beers would be better than lager as you say.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Thanks RJR & SJ. Glad to hear the mojo is back. This weather’s got to help. Sunshine, dry underfoot: local hills calling?
    Tidy mile reps Joolska.
    That’s still a very quick 10K relative to MP Joe.
    4M as 3M easy & then a few short accelerations to get the legs turning over in the final mile for me.
    Bought a couple of Proper Jobs on the way home 😄
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Mrs Wardi likes Brewdog Nanny State in the low alcohol ales.
    Very nice 1m reps Jools, you will have to draw a posh graph showing your recent progress.
    RJ.. good to see you back in the groove, well timed for the warmer weather.
    Joe.. nice combo yesterday and hope the 20m goes well tomorrow.
    TR/Jooligan.. looks like the pesky North/South divide is at work - a couple of lads I know are at a marathon event at Elvington airfield up here tomorrow.  Wind forecast is 6-8mph!  Good to see your wind speeds are reducing a bit.

11m around the racecourse this morning, strongest and least niggled I've felt for a while.  I think the cortisone is slowly but surely working, happy days.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Proper Jobs are a great incentive.....
    That sounds great Wardi  soo much better a position  to be in. 
    12m run then a 22m cycle in the wind as part of my tri training. Most importantly first visit to to the pub 2 pints of Padstow "May Day."
    Yes, SJ, best of British is a great toast  so good luck TR & Jooligsn. Do your best.
  • Good luck for tomorrow chaps!

10 miles at 6.43s for me today, with a stitch for the last 2.5 which I suspect was from pushing too hard on the windiest section of the route. Also carrying a litre of water. Since we haven't actually started marathon training yet I'm already wondering what pace MP might turn out to be, given I can do this already. 
  • Jools - Great signs there, you're certainly heading in the right direction.
    My friend worked for Brewdog and as an organisation they are a real s*it show. But you can't fault the popularity of their beers.
    Wardi - you sound like a pro athlete. Get into trouble, have an injection, get right back on it. Again all sounds like good progress.
    OO - That is a real tri-session there. Chunky run before a bike, almost iron man type training.
    CC2 - Cracking run. Big positives for the future, hadn't realised you were still outside marathon training. Very nice.

20 miles this morning which I've squeezed in before a lunchtime BBQ. Hadn't intended to run quickly but got in the groove and it came out at a 6:39 min/mile average. I think I can safely say I'm ready and raring to go. Just need to get myself to the start line fresh and illness free now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TR vs  windy Goodwood part 2

Took 10m to get on 2.57 schedule, was behind by 17m and around 2.58 but had run out of windbreaks, vowed to go down fighting and ground out a 2.58.40. Wind was awful. Chuffed fot running a sensible 17m and then hanging tough, cramp got me s bit in last 1/2m but i had enough of a buffer.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Chapeau TR, you deserved something beginning with a '2' after all the miles you put in and the wettings you got over all those weeks of training.  Get some beers in the fridge!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, TR.  Not the best of running conditions, assuming your wind was anything like the 20mph we had down here in Bristol.  Chapeau, and enjoy those beers once you're back home.

Picking a tough, off-road route on a windy day when I felt tired was kind of dumb.  20M @ 8.30m/m this week. A mere 43s/m slower than last week  :D
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Doing what it says on the tin TR. Top stuff and great race management and toughness at the end. As Wardi mentioned, fully deserved after the mpecable training. Oh for a fair weather day, law of averages must mean you are over-due one soon. Hope those beers are nicely chilled and waiting for you when you get in. I would doff my cap if I had any energy. 

Jools - a 20 miler with a strong wind is a decent training run regardless of time. 

I can beat your slow pace(sic) anyway and maybe record a thread first of 16 miles at 10:30/mile pace !! Almost 1,000m of climbing though and some technical decesents which I'm terrible at. Tough, tough day at the office. Sore back, sore quads, pulsing calves a good hour after stopping.

A touch over 50 miles for the week at the start of another 3 week build. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Great news  we'll done TR, could have been so easy in those conditions to just miss out. Proper Job. 
    Some pace for a 20m Joe backing up that swift 14m earlier in the week. 
    Another solid 20m d&d Joolska. 
    CC2 that's a really good 10m run with a few factors slowing you down.  Lots more gains to come. 
    Good to see you back SJ and getting back in the zone. That sounds a tough but rewarding run. 
  • Job done TR, crack open the beers! Oh, and write a longer race report please :tongue:

How come you're doing 20s already Jools? Is there a masterplan afoot? 

15 for me, with company for 13, which kept my pace to a sensible 8.09s. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Because I haven't run a marathon for 4 years, so I need the endurance work.
  • Has it really been 4 years? Where does the time go?! 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup.  I spent most of 2018 and 2019 injured (I barely raced in 2018, IIRC) and from memory have only run 1 half marathon since autumn 2017.  I haven't broken 85 for the half since spring 2017 and I struggle to remember when I last broke 40 for 10km.  I've needed this last year of no racing just to begin to rebuild an endurance base.  This autumn will hopefully be a building block to let me have a good spring 2022.  I'm so scared of getting injured I'm going nowhere near carbon shoes because they change your gait, and sod's law states my rubbish body would freak out at that and find a new way to break down.  I've stockpiled my favourite pre-carbon racers to see me through until at least the autumn, if not next year!