Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Slightly annoyed to go over on my ankle this morning. Got round 12.5 miles after that, but then stopped to wait for some other runners I was joining for the last bit of my long run and it started to stiffen and ache, so bailed out at 14 and walked home. Giving it some RICE and hoping it's nothing too serious. Rest day tomorrow, though! 58 for the week instead of the planned 64 as a result.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Joolska - hope it's not too bad. 

TT - building back nicely. 

TR - yeah those time on feet runs can be a grind. Important not to run all long runs with speed I think. 

RIP Ron Hill. Local legend in these parts. Met him a few times, lovely unassuming fella. Sad day. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57220289

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Good session TR, how many weeks to the next Goodwood?
    SJ.. good pace for the 20m on a lumpy course.  Re the escapee, no news of a capture yet!
    TT.. good to see you managed a decent week after the recent workload.

Legs were a bit tired this morning but cranked out 10k to bring up 62m for the week.  Proper summer temps forecast for next weekend, bring it on!
    I'm off out for a beer tonight, can't remember when I last went to a pub.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - hopefully the ice will sort it out. Fingers crossed.

SJ - indeed,  got sucked into chasing long run pace a bit in Feb and March and got a bit smoked. RIP Ron indeed, sub 2.10 back then was quality.

Wardi - yum, enjoy yourself. 6 weeks today, as you say we could do with some warm weather in prep. Charlie bagged a sub 3 at Peterborough today, to go with his Essex mara sub3 in April.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Bad luck Joolska. 🤞it responds to the rest day. You’ve been making excellent progress thanks to your return to consistent running. Vet wrap is great if you’ve not discovered it yet. Only time I ever rolled mine I went from being unable to walk the day after to running a light session on grass with my club 6 days later thanks to the extra support. I used it for another week or so & it’s been fine ever since.
    Good doubling Wardi.
    That’s an encouraging start TT
    That’s a really strong LR SJ. How did you feel after?
    Big day out on the fells yesterday started with a 7M/2,100’ fell race. First time I’ve raced properly since CoViD shut them all down. Only 30 allowed in a wave & waves staggered by 2hrs to allow the 1st race to finish & competitors to disperse before the 2nd race began congregating at the start. Results from both waves were then amalgamated afterwards. I set off very slowly down the short descent but then picked people off on the massive climb. Held position along the ridge into a headwind then dropped off the other side. After half a mile descending gradually along a muddy trail we had the option of taking the (significantly longer) path to the next CP or taking the direct line which dropped 500’ in less than quarter of a mile. I opted for the latter & picked up a couple more places in the process 😁 Unfortunately I took the wrong line back to the summit & ended up below the traversing path so had to scramble up a 40% incline to regain it which meant the youngster who’d been breathing down my neck before the drop off had got ahead. I pushed him hard til he struck off right whilst I carried straight back up through the heather to the good ridge path. Must have been the right choice as I got to the final 2 CPs ahead of him but as I started the last 1.5M downhill I heard his footsteps pounding away behind me. Managed to hold him off all the way to the bottom & we went into the final field neck & neck. The sting in the tail of this race is the 150m/80’ climb to the finish line up a lumpy grass field. I held him off to take the glory. Overall I came 8th & 1st MV50. As the weather gods were being kind I cycled over to the next valley before cycling 12 miles to get to the next but one & then did a marathon over & along the mountains back to the car. 34.5M & well over 7,000’ total for the day took me to 52nd in the UK. 😎
    Slipped back to 63rd after a flattish 10K recovery run today.
    RIP Ron Hill. My run yesterday was in a pair of ronhill Lycra shorts & my favourite club vest is also by his firm. His autobiography is phenomenal, especially Part 1 which I was fortunate enough to pick up for £1.50 in a charity shop. Part 2 was significantly more expensive as I had to resort to the internet. My streak now stands at 193 days but could (& probably should) break down at any point. Reading of his decline in Part 2, I felt his obsessive streaking even when injured or after brutal racing was what did him in. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Epic run Jooligan and we'll toughed out, congrats on the A/G prize.

Jools.. x-post I think, so sorry about your ankle.  You did the right thing baling, hope it's a minor strain.

I always  loved seeing Ron in those string vests, a pillar of our running past.  RIP.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Checking in on what would have been marathon day. Did go to Peterboro and check in with a former colleague and saw a few people I knew run past. Some impressive times out there with the winner in 2:28 and first female 2:39. Conditions were good, maybe a little breezy but I would have been happy to be out there of course.

Jooligan - Love your tales on the trails. No one needs a 40% climb to get back on course. Congrats on 8th.
    Jools - Hope that settles down quickly. Should do.
    Wardi - you've earned that beer. Seen a few pubs and restaurants recently and it feels like a real treat atm.
    SJ - Very lumpy around Saddleworth. Have had a few leg busters with a friend who used to live around there. So I think that's a tasty 20.
    TR - Sounds like you're shaping up nicely.

No good news from me. Achilles was hurting a little on a cycle earlier in the week so i'm doing absolutely no exercise atm. It still feels dodgy from time to time and I've been feeling ITB issues as well. I suspect a complete lack of running isn't great for my body but unfortunately better than running. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jooligan - that's some running (and cycling) yesterday and congratulations on the race, being 1st Vet and the 52nd placing on the UK Strava challenge. 
    SJ - 20m in 2.32 on a bumpy run is excellent, looks like you enjoyed it too.
    Jools - Hope the RICE works.
    TT - That's more like it/ you.
    Wardi - 62 another good week.
    TR - Another solid weekend.  So 6 weeks to Goodwood!
    Joe - Must have had mixed feelings yesterday. 
    RIP Ron Hill, I read he ran every day for 52 years!  Some run streak.

73m for me, and a reasonable amount of climbing over the weekend (3,000 ft) - only a mere 480 places behind Jooligan on the UK Strava climbing chart! But the weeks longest run has only been 10m, so will need to get a LSR banked early this week - when the sun finally returns. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe.. sorry the injury progress is dragging but glad you got some enjoyment out of spectating/supporting.
    OO.. cracking mileage last week considering all the elevation.
    I felt I had to send a round of applause to my M75 clubmate this morning.  He's a very modest fellow but I spotted a 22.51 5k from him last Friday.  Chapeau.
    7.5m for me this morning in the sunny half of the day.  AZ covid injection No.2 this afternoon, I'll let you know if there any side effects - the first one was completely uneventful.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I don't often post on here but thought some might be interested in this video if you have 20 minutes to spare (and fast forward the adverts)! Made not long after Ron's 81st birthday. 

The Man Who Ran Every Day for 52 Years! | The Legend of Dr Ron Hill | Podium - YouTube
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Good one ale

Jools - good point re the streak. probably not a good idea, esp when it leads to running injjured or the days after a mara or hard race

Joe - shame you're still having trouble. Hopefully you'll get it fixed up soon. Looks like it was a more normal format race on a normal route?

Wardi - hopefully minimal reaction if you had none with jab 1. Jab 1 made spo really poorly, but jab 2 was much less.

OO - good climbing.

13m run home tonight. 3 min reps in the morning, hopefully a better showing than last wks sorry affair.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Alehouse.. love it!  Such a refreshing approach to running, god knows what times he would run in the modern age.
    TR.. that's a decent run commute, hope this promise of better temps comes true. 
    Best of luck with the reps tomorrow.
    edited May 2021
    Jooligan - massive day out that mate. Saw it on Strava but could barely believe it. Loved the report too. Can relate to some of that scrambling. Last summer a group of us decided to haul ourselves up a muddy bank rather than try and pass the bemused highland cattle in Lyme Park. Nice streak btw. Ron was shuffling along just before hanging up his trainers. Alzheimer's got him in the end. 

TR - Yes feeling that long run pace a bit today I must admit. My own fault for chasing a couple on bikes down into a headwind in the last 3km. Nice commute miles again. Hope the reps go well. 

Wardi - another solid last week. I'm looking forwards to those predicted temps if we get them. Our garden is nearing completion, it'd be great to sat out in it. Second covid jab for me on Thursday morning. I had a fever and headache for 12 hours the day after the first AZ. My son had his first Pfizer on Saturday so they are getting to the young'uns round here now. Props to your coffin dodger clubmate. Inspirational.  

Joe - sorry to hear the achilles is no better. Must have been bitter sweet going to Peterborough to watch but good on you for supporting people you knew. Can you distract yourself with anything else? Some strength and conditioning/weight stuff just to get the buzz from somewhere? Saddleworth is indeed a nice place to run. I'm lucky to have both hilly roads and fells on my doorstep.

OO - Nice weekly total again especially with nothing over 10 miles. Impressive climbing too. I don't join these challenges as there are some right nutters doing them achieving ridiculous feats. I suspect they are professional athletes. 

Alehouse - Thanks for posting that video. I've read a few obits today and watched a few videos but hadn't seen that one. 

Lots of coverage and local running community love for Ron here. I think I will do the Tour of Tameside this year in his honour, Ron started it in 1980. Its a 4 event series run on consecutive days with a mixture of fell and roads races. Hell on the Fell being the highlight. 

Very easy 6 and a bit tonight. 

Me and Ron in his old shop in Hyde. Sadly the shop is gone now too. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    What yr was that SJ

11m inc 14x3min (30sec jog), the av for the 49 mins of the reps anf jog should normally come out as approx mp, wasnt as slow as last wk but still only 6.58 today. Feel a bit seized up and slow at the mo. I plan on an mp long run saturday so we'll see what happens then after a few easy days. I will get concerned if i cant hit mp in that as i dont really care what happens in a 3min session, although being so far off normal isnt ideal.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TR, I think your body may be telling you that you got back to full training very quickly after your last marathon, and it's knackered!
    2008 TR, I had hair and it wasn't too grey then either :) 

That's a lot of 3 mins reps isn't it? You also aren't getting much recovery either? Are you running it more like a continuous fartlek? Sorry lots of questions there. I'm guessing you are coming out somewhere around 800m for the 3 mins so a more conventional session would be 10 x 3 mins with 1 min jog or standing recovery. 

Either way I wouldn't get too concerned about the paces. The principle is what matters right? You got your legs moving quicker than usual and it was a relatively hard effort. 

The MP run at the weekend is the better indicator as you say. Hopefully the easier run up to that yields a session you are happy with. Its that tricky period a couple of weeks before the taper I suppose. Not forgetting you are turning the races round quite quickly too which will be something to factor in. 

X-post - yes also what Joolska said. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Yes, its defo feeling knackered. Probably kept it easier than i did between Brighton and Yeovil (8 wks apart) in 2019 though. But im two years older and i think the CV19 has meant i ache a bit more at times.

SJ - yes its a long fartlek, which is why im not too bothered re paces. Gadget sait i hit 5.45 at peak, and it was a bit windy and lumpy. But i expect the session to av ~6.45 not 7mm.

Ive only run quicker than 8mm 3 times since GW (2 sessions and a 10% long run), maybe the answer is to do less between maras. Looks like my hopes of doing Brighton and vlm 3 weeks apart rest on the magic shoes.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..I've done few double marathons with 5-7 weeks in between.  I like the fact that I can run two marathons off one training schedule but getting the 'in between' section right is tricky.  Resting up enough, easing back then sharpening up again means a lot of listening to your body.  P&D have a few suggested plans in their book which I loosely follow.  
    SJ..2008 was possibly my favourite year - got married and ran my marathon PB!

Narrowly escaped a soaking this morning.  Enjoyed a sunny 4 miler then the heavens opened as I ran into the drive!  I'm out with my club tonight for a few miles so I may not be so lucky.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - indeed, I'll get the book out later.
    edited May 2021
    TR - factoring in covid it would make total sense that recovery is taking longer than usual. What little I've seen on the news the long term effects are still being figured out.

I too grabbed my copy of Advanced Marathoning and Lore of Running to have a read up on multiple marathoning. Good advice by Wardi to have a refresher. 

Wardi - I enjoyed 2008 too, raced a lot that year as i had just joined my club. XC, northern relays, lots or club races, all distances etc. My 10 mile PB of 59.xx still stands to this day. Not many 10 mile races these days. Pretty sure my 5k PB is also from 2008 too come to think of it. Nice rain avoidance again. You must be a very good judge of precipitation as its surely no fluke. 

Pretty tired tonight. Calves felt a little tight from Sundays long run. Got moving during the run down to the park where we currently do our sessions due to restrictions at our home venue. Session of 9 mins tempo followed by 5 x 800m. All on grass in fell shoes. Got moving and actually got stronger as the session progressed. Calves a little sore to the touch. I think they are in shock tbh. Need to keep a lid on things over next couple of weeks. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Look after those calves, SJ.  Sounds like a good session, though.

It's not my week.  Just as the ankle was feeling slightly better and I could go up and down stairs fairly normally (progress!), I spent a couple of hours chucking up last night.  No idea why, as Mr. J is fine so highly unlikely to be something I ate.  But truly glad for remote hearings right now, as I can loll around until it starts, and then take it easy after, without having to leave the house.
  • It's really not your week Jools! 

10,000m race for me last night. I was initially scheduled in the slow race with a few around my pace, then they had some drop outs and moved a few runners up to the fast race, leaving my as probably fastest in the slow one. I didn't fancy a solo time trial so begged to be moved up to the A race. They did let me, and I not only beat my predicted time, but ran an all time PB for 10k on all surfaces of 38.35.9 and didn't actually come last, despite having been about 200m off the back by the end of lap 2. Sadly the runner who would have been most use to me didn't show up, but one chap fell off the back of the pack after 2 laps and came back to me (or I caught up with him) after around 7 laps. I sat in with him for 6 or 7 as his pace was fairly even until then but I could feel it slowing a little, so when we got lapped I used the faster runner to pull me past. I caught one more with maybe two laps to go and was gaining on another until he found another gear with 200m to go. 

I wore my ancient Adidas Adios, but they weren't checking shoes and a guy in the pink Nike cheat shoes lapped me two or three times. The only other lady in the race lapped me just the once. She also had some elderly Adidas flats on her feet. 
    edited May 2021
    Joolska - hope you are feeling better. As you say one of the many perks of wfh is being able to take those breaks we all should but don't when at the workplace. 

Speedy - nice to take down a PB in any form. Nice one. I could feel the disdain in your report when mentioning not just the Nike's but pink Nike's ! The audacity! :) 

5 easy peasy in my lunch break. Left ankle was a bit creaky at first but loosened up. Calves seem better too. I wouldn't be a runner if something wasn't aching or groaning somewhere. 
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    CC2 - good run. I think our club captain won that race so I'm guessing it was he in the cheating pink shoes. I don't know him that well but I'll let him know of your disapproval ;) 
    Jools - that's not good. Hopefully that doesn't linger at all. It is nice that work is more flexible these days. Endless positives but the odd negative too of course.
    SJ - you're right back in the flow of things. wouldn't be right without a grumble or too.

Physio tonight. Could be an interesting conversation about how I can move forward. I'm now in the "old enough to have my jab" camp so I'll get that booked. So many bad reaction stories around does make me feel like I need to book it around teaching days though when really I should just be having it ASAP
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not many club runners do their PB's on the track CC2, not with a monotonous 25 laps in their head anyway!  Nicely done.  It also matches my PB set in the distant past of 2005 on some flat country lanes on the outskirts of Selby.

Joe.. hope the jab is symptom free.  I've been fine since AZ No.2 on Monday, just a tiny bit of discomfort where the needle went in.  Good luck with the physio too.

Jools..this must be your 'walked under a ladder' week.  Strange getting a sickness out of the blue, hope you recover soon.  I remember getting a shivering/sweating fever last summer.  It only lasted 4-5 hours but I have no idea what caused it.

SJ..re 10 mile races.  The bunch who organised that half you ran over my way, they have a 10m race on 20th July.  Only logistical problem may be that it's on a Tuesday night at 7pm!  Start/Finish at Rufforth Airfield, fast course.

I did get wet at the club last night but too warm for a jacket, a gilet sufficed.  A steady 5k out then a progressive fast return which I enjoyed now my leg is working properly.  I could feel a bit of tiredness in the legs this morning so cut the planned 10m down to 8m.  Luckily it stayed dry but at times it felt like November!  Roll on a warm weekend.🌞

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Congratulations, always great to get a PB.  A good move to run with the faster group.

TR
    - Not surprised your feeling it, your sub 3 marathon was not that long ago, and you have been training hard for a year or so. Maybe an extra rest day to freshen up a bit.  

2008 - not so great for me. Diagnosed with double stress fractures and didn't race again until 2010.  Now years ending in 7, different story, PB fest. 

The Strava Climbing challenge has gripped me, another 3,000 ft so far since yesterday morning so now 8,300 worldwide and 360th in UK.  Off for another 5m, 1000 ft run later.  Up to 6,400 metres for May and whisper this might even try and Everest, as its a thing isn't it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good session that. Sounds like a decent option that group.

Jools - shame you couldnt time the illness for sprained ankle day. I suppose the ankle will appreciate another day off.

Wardi - i got soaked pedalling home yday.

CC - nice one. Id hate 25 laps of a track. Was the hate for the shoesbeing banned or you being lapped? Surely those shoes are too soft for track?

OO - you'll be up the black mountains with jools at the weekend.

13m run home tonight. Did my first session of s and c including squats and deadlifts in a while last night and my legs felt better for it when running tonight, apart from the bum cake doms.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Finally some happy news to report: 5 miles, very steady, on the flat, in my most cushioned shoes, with two layers of pseudo-science (kinesio tape + vetrap).  Foot a little sore in places, but ok for careful steady running.  Tummy seems ok.  Thank duck for that.  Jooligan: thanks for the vetrap tip.  It's also helped us know what the vet has used on one of the cats: we were intrigued by something that looked like a bandage but came off so easily!  Now we know why.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    CC2 - congrats on the pb!
    Wardi - nice weekly total.
    Jooligan - great racing. Nuts, but great. Interesting with the vet wrap - Mrs TT is a vet nurse and there's always some around. I'll try it the next time I turn something.
    OO - good mileage, particularly off of shorter runs.
    sj - nice training!
    TR - hopefully you're over the fatigue soon.
    Jools - glad to read you're feeling better.
    A slower start to the week here with the last big push on the house (carpets currently being fitted in most rooms, and I'm pretty much down to just grouting in the bathroom) which has left me tired, but the first 3 days have been 8m, 6m, 6m. Hoping for a double today if the carpets are done early enough, but at least an hour this evening otherwise.