Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good monthly totals folks.
    Glad the Vetwrap is working out so well Jools.
    Had my 2nd AZ jab a week ago: no ill-effects apart from a bit of soreness/stiffness in the shoulder muscle the next day.
    Congratulations on joining the monthly Everest club OO.
    I did 22M of SWCP on Sunday: Minehead-Lynmouth so sea level to Exmoor x2 & another 9M/1000' on Monday to finish May with 333M & 42,800' which was worth 63rd in the UK.
    I've joined June's Challenge & I've made a decent start with 1850' in the 1st 2 days - off to the Brecons in a bit to double that at least B)
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - nice climbing! And nice monthly mileage too!
    TR - nice training, as always! You're pretty much my consistency target. You rarely seem to miss a beat.
    OO - big monthly mileage; congrats on the mileage pb.
    Wardi/sj - nice monthly totals from you two too.

9m for me today with some road reps. 3 x 1/2m, 2:30 rest after the first, 3:30 after the second. Efforts were 5km, 5km, 3km. Got 2:52, 2:52, 2:47.
    That puts me on 35 for the week, so hopefully another 50+ again (assuming no 2nd jab ill effects tomorrow). I'm still feeling heavy (no idea on weight) and unfit, but at least things are heading in the right direction.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Those are brisk paces TT so your speed is certainly up to scratch.  Good luck with the jab.

Jooligan.. nice work on the SWCP.  I did a section of it once and it ain't flat!
    SJ.. good session with the club, nice 11 miler too.  I don't normally like the wind but it has taken the edge off some of the hotter days.
    TR.. good work in the 10m, 14 x 3 mins a lot of reps.
    As my legs were still grumbling a bit this morning I switched to the bike & got out for a pleasant 25m in very light winds.
    In shoe news, my club had a discount code with one supplier so I grabbed a pair of the NB Fuelcell RC Elite Racers while they had my size (direct competitor to Next% apparently).  I'm probably a bit old to be trying carbon plate shoes but apart from being curious I do prefer lighter shoes to the chunky sole variants.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Jools - thats a great sounding long run, a great place to run.

Keep ticking away TT

Wardi - those shoes are well reviewed. No one is told old to run in some fast feeling shoes on race day.

12m this morning, rained every step of it.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - What a great looking set of run and climb statistics and a lovely  run on Sunday.  Chapeau for Ever Quest, I can certainly see the attraction and will try and Everest again.  
    TT  - That's really good progress. 
    SJ - That is a decent month, nice one!
    Wardi - Welcome to the world of faster shoes, the older we get the more we need them. 
    TR - You surely are a bad weather god.  Good 12m banked. 

Uncertainty reigns. My target race at the UTMB is touch and go for UK/ non EU passport holders (might find out next Thursday - wouldn't mind deferring to 2022 tbh as hoping to have a family holiday in the Alps around it, but according to todays announcement from the French Government, my older son and daughters partner won't be able to enter France as they wouldn't have had their two jabs, and we also need a barrage of tests - too much hassle!).

So at the mo, unsure whether to enter a UK trail mountain marathon as training, or focus on sub-3 marathoning, enter fast half marathons and go this route. First world runners problems.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. the European travel situation is a right old mess, hope you can get something salvaged overseas.  I'm keeping an open mind on Barca in November but it is a fair way off yet. I'm more optimistic about UK events as things stand.

TR.. I think the country must be upside down weather wise today.  20 degrees and blue sky here in the frozen north!  Shame about your soaking but a decent 12m in the bank.

11m for me in the aforementioned sunny skies, not too hot or possibly I'm getting used to it.  Those shoes.. I've been wearing NB for years so I thought I'd give them a try.  If I like them there's also a Fuel Cell TC which is a touch heavier and more of a trainer/racer, could be tempted🤔
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - mmm, doesnt sound like you've much chance of all getting to UTMB, probably for the best if you get deferred. Did you enter the N devon trail mara in the end ?

Wardi - both the RC and TC are well reviewed.

After only 1 run (14m) and 1 turbo sun to weds, i rescued my week with 10m inc 3min reps Thurs, 12m yday and 21m today. The 21 was done as 10 easy, 11 approx 10%. Good warm weather training. 1 bottle water, 1 bottle luco, 1 gel and plenty of sweat.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds a mess with UTMB. As far as options go, which grabs you the most as that's the one you're most likely to stick to? 

TR - nice 21m!!

Wardi - I'll have to check those trainers out. All of mine are pretty much dead but we've been pouring so much £££ and time into the house I've not been able to replace them. 

3.5m wu, 11min tempo (5:55), 4m cd this morning puts me over 50m for the 3rd consecutive week (a few miles with the wife and dog still to come tomorrow morning).

Today's tempo was a kinder route than last week's 10mins @ 6:01, but also less effort, so definitely improving. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    TR - Yes it's looking like a DNS for August. I passed on the North Devon marathon. So spinning around looking for a focus at the moment.  Goid couple of days and a good 21m well done, it's of course the 11 @ +10% which is the best part.

Wardi - Hopefully the vaccination drive will allow the UK and European Governments to enable relatively friction free overseas travel. This Indian variant has sure put a spanner in the works. Madrid end of Sept hopefully for me. 

19.5m easy hilly ones in c2.45. Didn't even need a bottle of water as very easy running and was drizzling on and off. For football fans, run past the ex-manager Alan Pardew on the way back. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice long run OO, good ex manager spotting there!  Re covid my gut feeling is that travel will get easier slowly but surely as the summer wears on, fingers crossed!
    TT.. a good solid week again.  I had noticed with some of my older shoes (NB Zante were a favourite) that while still comfy the 'bounce' has gone so they will be relegated to social shoes soon.
    TR.. sounds like you had a dry day today, cracking 21 miler.  I do try to have a drink somewhere on a longish run at this time of year.

4+5m easy double today.  The new shoes arrived today so I'll give them an outing over a MLR tomorrow.  Just walking round the house in them they don't feel like anything I've had before.  I'll see if they compete with my favourite racing shoe from the old days - the Nike Ekiden, ran a few marathons in those.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - super impressive climbing from you too. Congrats on the UK placing for May. I'm sure you will eclipse that total in June. 

OO - frustrating re the UTMB dns. Hopefully Madrid happens as you say. Pardew ex Saints manager back in League 1 days, a decade ago already :(

Wardi - I think the shoes are actually prolonging running for many with their recovery factor as well as helping younger folks eclipse their actual ability. I so want to stay 'blue collar' but it is crazy tempteming to indulge in the carbon. I think I would opt for the Saucony offering in an attempt to hide the fact :) Heat adaptations here too. 

TT - nice stringing the weeks together. Also good to see some improvements via some improving numbers. That's always motivating. 

TR - well rescued week :) those long runs with the fast second halfs are where it's at. Strong running and backed up with the other mlr too. I'll be starting those up shortly. 

Tired midweek mlr followed by some easy running and then a solo track session yday afternoon. Good to get the legs moving quickly. I did a ladder session fmgoing from 2k down to 200m with decreasing recoveries. I thought I had gone out too quick in the first 2k rep but got quicker so pleased with that. All sub 5k pace. Long run in the morning which could be a lot cooler as its clouded over tonight after another warm day. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good news TT, keep ticking those 50m weeks off

OO - probably wise, you dont need the trail mara with no UTMB. Interesting as what to plan for, i have GW in 4 wks which is CV safe TT style,, my next event after that should be Brighton which is 10 wks later.....difficult to see the step from a CV safe GW to a 12,000 runners race in 10 wks (vlm is another 3 wks later). Well done on the 19.5, id have run an extra 1/2 mile. Yours sounds a lot cooler than mine was, i took a bit of a toasting (no complaints though, preferable to the times im trying to stay upright on the ice in those lanes).

Wardi - i carry a bottle (or 2), good practice with bith the regular sipping and the carrying. How were the shoes? I intend to use my Next % for my 13.1 mp run next weekend and then save them.

SJ - defo good to get the legs turning over. The recovery factor with the shoes interests me as it may prolong me doing marathons. The endophin pros are supposed to be Next % quick at shorter distances, but dont give the leg protection for marathons. My speeds feel narrow too, which i havnt noticed so far but ive only done reps in them.

Thought about running today as i missed 2 days last week, but my legs were tired after 3 decent days in a row, and it would have only been a short easy run, so i stuck with the current plan, and smacked the crap out of the turbo which left me on the garage floor for a few minutes afterwards. Tomorrow will be an easy few miles.
    TR - interesting notes on the Endorphin pro's. I hadn't heard about the differences. I dont think the Speeds would be any good at the end of a marathon for me. Wise listening to your body and not the schedule today. Big marathons must be going to employ serious staggered start times to avoid major overcrowding. 

Rolling hills loop this morning for 20 miles in 2.30. That loop is starting to feel comfy. The up and down nature of the loop does help at times. It also helps that most of the major climbing is out of the way in the first half. Cool enough for no fluid too. 

69.5 miles for the week which included efforts session, sharp track session and mlr and today's long run. Rinse repeat from now on. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. that's a very decent mix of training, also a healthy weekly total.  I admire the lack of OCD to round it up to 70 miles too🙂.  Great run today, good pace on a lumpy loop.

TR.. you'd get a soft landing on our garage floor, I re-purposed our old stair carpet for the top end of the garage. We have a washer, sink, overflow fridge & freezer in there so thought I'd add a bit of luxury as we go in there a lot.  That sounds like a tough turbo session, have you got the same hot/humid stuff as we have do up here?  The new NB shoes were a very pleasant surprise, see below.

Thought I'd give the new footwear a 10-12m outing today to bed them in and get a feel for how they perform.  My overriding impression is that they make the run feel more fluid, more effortless, and there did seem to be less leg fatigue as the run progressed.  I was ticking along very comfortably despite the humidity so I added another lap on to make it up to 14 2m.  Around 10-15 secs pm quicker than recent MLR's too.  Suitably impressed then so might add the TC version to my shoe cupboard if I can find my size.
    62m for the week plus a 25m bike ride.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - top week. Rolling long runs are a good strength builder. I do the odd flat affair but stick to my undulating lanes, it goes flat in the middle miles, but the last few miles of my 10% runs get tough as it rolls a bit.

Wardi - i was on some boards that we do weights on, so was ok. Bit warm today, the turbo was a sweaty affair, just been back down there for some s and c. The shoes sound good. The test is to wear them in a race or benchmark session. The best approach is probably to save those for races now and just use them for the odd mp run before raceday as a reminder. Possibly get a pair of TC for the odd quicker run.
  • Being back in the office a few days a week is ruining my internet time. No phone signal at all in there and we're not allowed to use t'internet for anything other than work. Plus I'm losing 1 hour 20 mins of potential training time each day to the commute. Not loving it!

Anyway, 5000m at the Midlands Champs today. For a change I was not the only woman in the race, in fact there were quite a few, although only one other in my age category. It was all the women plus men over 60. Luckily there were 2 M60s who were speedy. One shot off on lap one, the other initially sat in behind me but after a couple of laps decided to give chase to the Nuneaton chap. By about lap 8 or 9 I'd caught them both up. They must have been slowing, as I certainly hadn't sped up, and I wondered if I ought to go past, but decided to catch my breath behind them for a lap or two and see what the lap times were. They were only 1 second off what I wanted, and honestly I was working very hard to stick with them, so trying to go past and take it on didn't seem wise. I figured if I could cling on until the last 100m I'd stand a good chance in a sprint finish, given the 20 year age gap. They were obviously most concerned with racing each other. I wasn't particularly relevant to them. Trentham moved out wide to pass Nuneaton, but Nuneaton was wise to it and also started to move wide, blocking Trentham's path and... leaving a delicious gap on the inside. I bolted and took the win. Trentham won the battle of the M60s and joked he'd get me next time because he doesn't like being chicked. 18.39.13, which is a lifetime PB over all surfaces.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    CC2 - A win! That's a really well taken race and a great time, well done, your on fire at the moment. 

Wardi  -  Good mileage again a good new shoe debut, that's quite a notable time difference/ gain.   

SJ - Cracking mileage, and you can see your fitness gains the way you are running those rolling hills. 

TR - don't be too surprised if I enter a tough coastal marathon this week!  I am just itching to have a race. 

53m for the week, cutback and jab week so hopefully a few more this week, plus a few swims and cycles.  Inspired by CC2 might have a go at a 5K tonight, on a grass track whilst my son has football training. Don't think I will beat 18.39 though. 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    CC2 - nice pb and win!
    Wardi - great with the shoes, and nice training (as always).
    OO - I believe Pardew was a 'favourite' of the Reading fans.
    sj - nice sounding track session and good long run. You're in good shape.
    TR - agree that 10 weeks from a TT style race to a 12,000 mass runner start seems unlikely.

To use sj's rinse repeat phrase, I'm looking to do the same from last week for the foreseeable session wise (but gradually build volume).
    Sticking to once a day for at least this week, but today was 10m as 3.5m very easy (MP+2mins), 5 x ~0.27m hills, 3.8m very easy.
    Hills were run a touch harder than last week, but still controlled rather than beasting. 2 extra reps, and 2 extra miles over last week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    TT.. must be a relief to be over most of the DIY chores, nice 10m/session.
    OO.. best of luck with the blast over 5k, it'll be over before you know it!
    CC2.. congrats on the PB and outwitting the fast codgers, sorry to hear work is getting in the way. :|
    TR.. I have taken your advice and ordered the more cushioned NB TC carbon shoe for general training, found a pair with £36 off so took the plunge.
    Ran an easy 5m along the local river bank earlier, it was sweltering and very humid this morning.  The weekend is looking hot!
    Re Pardew.. he was never truly welcomed at Newcastle.  It wasn't his fault really, out of the blue the club sacked Chris Houghton who had just got them promoted and did have a decent start to the Premiership season.  The fans overall feeling was that it was a bizarre sacking & appointment.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one CC, good to see the coaching pay off

OO - go for it, hopefullly we'll have some small normal format races soon. The CV safe TTs are a good alternative but they are solo affairs.

Good man TT, keep ticking away.

Wardi - nice one, the TC were well reviewed too.

Legs were pretty achey today as expected given my last few days, so 10m easy commute done. No point grinding out an mlr today.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    As a Teams call finished early I had a window of opportunity and did a 4m blast this afternoon @  23.48, pretty pleased with that as not a full on monty effort on a relatively bumpy field. Easy 10k tonight. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Very tidy OO so just inside 18:30 pace then. Were you spurred on by the virtual Gothic Gauntlet? 
    Excellent racing again Speedy, certainly living up to your moniker.
    Good stuff TT. Fingers crossed for some sustained consistency.
    You’re certainly getting faster & stronger since the return of your mojo SJ.
    More mountainous exploits for me at the weekend in preparation for my attempt at the 4th fell running challenge: the South Wales Traverse. 75M & 17,000’ in under 24 hrs though I’m aiming for sub 20. Kicking off on Saturday June 19th at 4:30 am.
    You can read all about it here https://sites.google.com/view/swtraverse/home
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Jooligan - Good luck for Saturday, that's going to be one helluva hardcore experience.  Fantastic. Looking forward to reading of your traverse/ exploits and as always seeing the really good images.  Can we track you?

The aim was maybe 4 @ 6.30, the 1st went well at 6.06, 2nd 6.04, thought I'd raise it a tad for the 3rd 5.53 and put the hammer down a bit for the 4th, 5.43. I was inspired by CC2 fast run, a timely prompt of the need to do these sorts of faster runs. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Afraid not OO. Can't be bothered to shell out £50-70 for a GPS tracker. 
    Updates on progress will doubtless be posted here though: SWT
    Lovely progression on the 4M.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - that sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck!
    OO - nice progression
    Wardi - I was always a big fan of Hughton from his ROI playing days. Tidy manager too.

13m very easy in the heat for this week's 'long' run. Pace was a bit quicker than intended but I just kept ticking along so went with it.
    Refuelling post long runs on a keto diet is going to take some getting used to - standard carb fest was replaced for double tuna mayo with black olives, and greek yoghurt with blackberries........
    edited June 2021
    Congrats on the PB CC2, enjoyed the mini report too. Good job the runner up doesnt train with the group I do, several fast ladies ahead of me on every rep.

TT - nice hills workout. I like that you are tracking progress in that way. 

Wardi - I'd forgotten Pardew was at Newcaslte too. Now theres a great club that's been dragged down through the mire over recent years through Ashley's stranglehold. 

OO - tasty looking 4 miler blast. All this sharper stuff in here is making me almost look forwards to the club 5k series coming up throughout June-July. I hate 5k but its probabaly good or me and something I've neglected in recent years.

Jooligan - the SWT looks stunning. Best of luck with it and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Weather looks set to continue. I sent the link to a club mate who is preparing for a BGR attempt. He replied he is already close to divorce so best pass on yet another adventure 😂. It is serious time commitments all this ultra running. 

TR - the miles you put in I doubt doing a slightly below par mlr will be too detrimental to the bigger picture. 

Very slow 5 miles on grass yesterday. 8:40/mile slow. Club tonight. Although P&D says 6km LT which I will incorporate later in the week somewhere. I like the group training so will keep going on Tues. 

I'm well ahead of where the plan starts anyway so will make it up a little but keep the main ingredients.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - thats some top bombing, nice speedy legs.

Sounds yummy TT

SJ - those sessions youve been posting up sound good, id keep them over the LT run, and just do the odd +10% mlr or lr on top. Id only change if the end up being too track specific eg 10 x 400. Good to have folks to train with no doubt too......agreed re the mlr, im almost at taper time, and the sessions are my target now, esp this Saturdays 13.1m mp.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The run commute logistics meant that 3min rep day needed to be today or Thursday, ive my eye on on my 3 wk out 13.1 mp saturday, so today was 3min day. Id only done last wks session on Thursday and sundays S and C doms was peaking a bit but onwards and upwards. 10m inc 14x3min, much better pace again for this run on the undulating commute route, after struggling a few weeks ago.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    OO.. a very tasty 4 mile TT there, a thoroughly decent replacement for the 5k.
    Jooligan.. all the best for the weekend after next and the training that's left, hope it's a bit cooler on the peaks by then.
    TT.. good to see you getting into the longer runs again, hope the diet keeps you topped up.
    Nice 3min session TR, bet that was a sweaty one.
    SJ.. I'm no Ashley fan but I think he is correct in taking the Premier league to court over the aborted takeover.  A consortium with 3 UK members as well as the Arab contingent, plenty of funds with a hefty deposit paid, promises of money going in to the city and local sport etc.  A straight forward business transaction seemingly ignored, something fishy going on there I reckon.
    10m today, 4m solo then out with the club for 6m including fartlek & strides, good to be able to turn the legs over properly again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Wardi - the likes of Newcastle, west ham etc owners and fans always make me think that they should be careful what they wish for and be happy to be solvent and still prem league. Its easy to over reach, burst the bubble and tumble down the leagues.

Another wooden legged 10m, as monday no point trying to mlr it. Not worried its nearly taper time and ydays 3min session was decent.