Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice effort at the Parkrun Joe, I guess that's around sub 6mm so a decent workout.  Nice to appear on PO10 again too!.

Some very heavy downpours today but took a gamble on a 10m effort this afternoon.   I took a leaf out of SJ's book and found a local canal towpath which made for a pleasant run.  Had to shelter under a canal bridge briefly when the heavens opened, apart from that didn't get too wet.  Chinese takeaway tonight which I haven't tried for a few years!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Joe - Wow, that's a great time, you still got it!  And a PO10 appearance, is always a bonus and a good indicator.
    Wardi - Nice 10m.
    TR - Enjoy the Wye Valley. I tend to run more on holidays as like doing recces, exploring, just naturally nosey I guess. 

So it begins, the London marathon slow long runs.  20m in just under 2.40 so generally consistent 7.58 mm.  Felt OK bit tight at the end, first 20m for 2 months and 75m for the week which is good for me. Lots of runners out and about today.
  • Wardi - yes around 5:55 I think. Sheltering from the rain? i know you're not used to being out in the wet but I'd have taken pride in running through it. A friend on strava attempted a 600k cycle this weekend in Scotland (he does a fair bit of this madness) and had to call it a day after 11 hours. says its the worst weather he's experienced on the bike.
    OO - great stuff on the 20 and the big week. that's plenty of time on feet.

After ydays effort and some afternoon gardening my achilles felt a little sore so rest day today. Still basking in the glow of yday. forgot how much fun it is to be running with and against others. especially when you're pacing sensibly and picking people off.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Wardi - sounds like you've found some flattish terrain, theresnot much where i am.

Joe - good for you, parkrun isnt my bag but i appreciate some folks like it, good to be properly racing no doubt.

OO - well done on the 20, sounding strong. I'll run everyday but cant justify going off for long runs time wise. But to be fair im up for a week which has a 10m upper limit this week.

Theres an approx 1.5m loop round a hilly viewing road route overlooking the valleys, but i found a less hilly section yday for 10m inc 12x3min. Today i did an easy lap of the viewing road then tried to increase the pace for a mp+10% type pace average over 5 more laps, which i managed starting av 7.22 ending av 6.57 for ~7.5m av 7.11, 10m in total with over 900ft ascent (as well as all the assiciated descents). The inside running podcast boys love a hilly tempo, good strength work.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Nice running everyone. Good to see OO back to the long runs and looking strong. Nice flat running Wardi along the tow path, those intermittent bridges do come in handy when the rain gets heavy. I've spent many minutes under those on occasion. 

Also good scouting of local running routes whilst on holiday TR. I do enjoy a spot of exploration when away. Fortunately Mrs SJ and Jnr enjoy a sleep in when away so I get a bit of time first thing. No holiday for us this year though as had our gardens renovated. 

Joe great to be racing again. Good to get an entry on Po10 too. I had similar when I ran a local 5 miler a month or so back. 

Feeling increasingly pessimistic this end with test runs and strength work not giving cause for optimism. A slight improvement last week gave me a bit of hope but sadly that's as far as it went. 

Physio has said I can run a few times this week but it's not comfortable at all and aches a fair bit the day after 25 mins of running very gently. I just can't see being able to run a marathon in a little over 8 weeks time. 

A bit disillusioned by the strength stuff too, apart from being boring, it does on occasion leave the ankle feeling worse. I think you alluded to this TR. Some hopping from one left to the other actually seemed to jar it some more. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    SJ - Really sorry to see that - is it an option now to take sometime out so the injury fully recovers, as it seems gentle running and the strength exercises are aggravating your injury.   No holidays planned here either, though lingering hopes for a marathon holiday in Malaga in December. 
    TR - Spot on, hills are great for speed and strength, pace work in disguise.

Abandoned the idea of running the Madrid marathon - Sept 27th, too much hassle and too soon. Replaced by the equally glamorous Newport marathon Oct 21, 3 weeks after London.  Always like the idea of having a few marathons lined-up, so the training is put to best use and you get a good rate of return, as well as the training benefit of one marathon for the latter.  Rest day today.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.
    OO - re: Cornish weather, it's pretty much the same as I grew up in back in Ireland (as an aside I recently passed the point where I've now lived longer in England than I did in Ireland, which is a bit strange). Nice training around the driving!! I presume that's a flight from Newquay?
    TR - looking like a good plan there with more bang for your buck speedy stuff. That should sharpen you up nicely. The hilly 'tempo' is in the Wardlaw pdf as well. I used to do similar under Barry (10m hilly @ 1/2 effort) and that is probably where Clohessy (and then Wardlaw) got the idea from as he developed a lot of the 'complex' stuff from his time with Lydiard.
    Wardi - good stuff on the sub-22 parkrun.
    Jooligan - stunning pictures.
    joe - looks like you're getting back into form. Keep it going. My oh bought me a parkrun wristband and asked me to wear it on my wanders for the same reason. If nothing else it means I get a tan line on both wrists ;)
    sj - that sucks! Maybe it might be time, as OO suggested, to take some time out completely?

I hardly ran last week for various reasons (trip home took the wind out of my sails a bit, plus a bit of a stress induced fibro flare up). Saw the chiropractor Saturday as back/neck/hips were so tight that my knee was a touch sore.
    Back at it today though, funnily enough with a similar run to TR. 10.6m hilly 'tempo'. Aim was for 1/2 effort (aka 'steady', aka MP+30-40s, aka P&D' MP+10%)*, and included a mix of hills ranging from ~80m to ~700m. All were run up and down at least once (700m hill got 2 goes up). Average pace of 6:42 is probably about right for now, but hopefully that'll come down significantly over the next couple of months.

* I used to do this when being trained by Barry (Lydiard style) and it's in the Aussie pdf I posted recently as 'Over Hills' - Clohessy spent time with Lydiard, and subsequently influenced Wardlaw. Funny how so many plans have similar runs!

• TT - that sounds like a good speed over hills. I first read the 700m Hill as being height rather than length and thought we had another mountain goat on our hands.
    OO - shame about Madrid. Almost certainly the right call though. Interesting idea of getting 2 for the price of 1 on the marathons. Hadn't though of it that way.
    SJ - that's a bummer. I had the exact same. felt like I was just treading water. The strength work causing aggro probably isn't a good sign but you'll have to trust in the physio I guess?
    TR - undoubtedly good strength and good to be running somewhere a bit different. shaping up nicely for the autumn races.

5.7 miles for me today with a mid run stop at home to drop off a sodden jacket. 3 runs in the last few weeks where I've copped an absolutely soaking. wondering if mother nature is trying to tell me something.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - defo, i think the s and c or rehab can keep aggravating things, even when fit if i do too much s and c it affects my running, even too much stretching can cause doms. The problem you have is the fizz might be wanting you to get to a point of achilles  health you havnt had in years and as a 40something runner you arent going to achieve, but then again if we pay for advice we should take it.

TT - i guess that all coaches know what works well, so all include it. Good going from you, i was 10m in total with only 7.5  ish tempo, but it'll do me good.

Joe - you know you are running regularly again when you are getting rained on and counting how often, take that as a plus.

OO - good idea, thats a well reviewed race. On the date that Abo was pencilled in for, so it might pick up some of their entries, plus a few who have a bad day at vlm.

Tried to do 8m easy today, but its hilly as fck round here, so it was still over 800ft of ascent. Canoed 9m down the wye after that, so think im going to ache like a bandit tomorrow, hopefully it wont flare my OP up too badly, which has been pretty good lately, due to good management, and s and c, although 4 hrs of canoeing is a bit outside of my s and c routine.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    TT - That hilly tempo looks a great session.
    Joe
     - Not fair for August.  I've run 2 marathons 2 or 3 weeks apart a few times and it seems to work for me, each time the second marathon being a minute or so quicker.
    TR -   Sounds a great day out, and for the Newport mara I hope so.  It is very flat and also a chance to see family that weekend.  Normally 100 or so run sub3 so should be some company.
    8m easy planned for later, maybe 2*4m. 

Time for an upcoming race list

Oct 3 - OO - London Marathon

Oct 24 - OO - Newport Marathon
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    TR - I had a mile flat either end of mine (though kept the same effort for those). Hopefully your multisporting minimises the DOMS from the canoeing.
    joe - lol. 700m of vertical would indeed be Jooligan levels.
    Race list:
    Nov 7 - TT - Reading HM
  • TR - Nice bit of canoeing. Good to mix it up a little bit. That's a pretty long session of exercise even if for the most part I presume it was quite gentle? Re the rain, that's a nice way to look at it.
    OO - I've seen you say that before and I still think it's incredible. Albeit i've seen others manage to get two PBs with two marathons quite close together. Not sure my body would ever be up to that but you never know.

25 miles on the bike today as achilles is still a bit sore. Have my second jab tomorrow and a weekend of cycling in the Cotswolds if all goes well, so a good week for just focusing on the bike and letting the achilles settle a bit.

Sep 12 - Great North Run

I would love to be putting a marathon in the diary but it's just too soon for that.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Race List

Sep 12 - Joe - Great North Run
    Nov 7 - TT - Reading HM
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    joe - sounds like a good plan.
    17m here earlier after a bit of a struggle to get out the door. Nothing special (went from very easy to easy) but my longest run in years. Got a bit leggy in the last mile or so after yesterday's double, but tomorrow is a recovery day and it'll give a good training effect (hopefully).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    OO - Newport sounds a good option to me

TT - good stuff, longest run in years bodes well, shows the recent regime is working.

Joe - yes you'd drift downstream eventually without paddling, spo was keeping the doggy from jumping out the boat, so  i paddled it myself.

Didnt feel too sore today, more of a sitting uncomfortably and teying to paddle sore than doms from effort, but my body was creaking a bit after all the hilly running too. 7m today. Will try something longer and sportier tomorrow.

Had an email from Brighton.......staggered arrive (and start?) timed, no bag drop on the day, you leave post race dry kit when you collect your number on the fri or sat. Im on the park and ride, wtf do i do with the kit i arrive at that in, and wtf do i do with car keys, phone, wallet etc......hopefully there'll be more info soon........wonder what measures vlm will put in place, they must have  bag drop.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I'd wager that the Lord Mayor of Newport will be out in his chains and all manner of civic regalia and bunting will be on display.  I'm sure you won't miss Madrid at all! ;)
    TT.. it's a shame that the fibro condition keeps putting a dampener on your training (amongst other things) but you do seem to have a handle on how to cope with it.  Nice work getting a 17 miler in after a long absence.
    TR.. that does all sound a bit chaotic but hopefully they will have thought of everything!  Good distance in the canoe.
    Joe.. the recent weather in some parts has made it diffcult to avoid a soaking outdoors.  Good work on the bike.
    After a low miles/steady week I do feel a bit more energised so back to it today with 10.5m.
    Race List

Sep 12 - Joe - Great North Run
    Oct 3 - OO, Wardi - London Marathon
    Nov 7 - TT - Reading HM
    Nov 7 - Wardi - Barca Marathon (TBC)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you wardi, the time away did you good

I repeated the 5 laps of the hilly viewing road loop at progressive pace again this morning, progressed from av 7.26 for 1st lap to 6.43 for the 5th for a 7.01 overall av, sundays was 7.11, but the aim was to push it harder today. 10m in total with 7.5m of effort.

Brighton have had loads of complaints re no on the day bag drop so we'll see what happens, totally unrealistic idea, ive asked if i can still get a refund or defer, no doubt loads of others have too. Lots of folks are travelling a distance on the day or staying overnight so want a bag drop on the day. Shame Abo cancelled.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    TR - Cracking session, good effort. Can see why you might want to give Brighton a miss, have they not learn't anything!  Come and run around Newport with me.
    TT - Nice one on the 17m.  Takes a bit of doing after missing long runs for a while. 
    Wardi - Snap, 10.5m for me too yesterday.  Hopefully they would have simplifed the testing situation by the time Barca comes around. 

Off this afternoon and son at football, so eyeing-up a 14m.  
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - that sounds crazy with Brighton. I remember years ago there was a local race that refused to do a bag drop and it didn't survive to the next year (other problems with it too - they were very much doing it on the cheap to maximise profit). Nicely done on the hilly run.
    Wardi - good that you're feeling more energised. The biggest issue wit the fibro is that stress is a major trigger for a flare up (with fibro your fight or flight is permanently on high alert anyway) and I have unavoidable stress that will be around for the foreseeable (hopefully - family related) so I just need to learn to balance that out. Luckily exercise helps and I have the common sense (finally) to give myself a break if needed.
    OO - enjoy the 14m.

Yesterday was a 5m jog + hillsprints (6 x ~10s) / 5m jog double. Today was 'long' fartlek. 9m with 10 x 1'/1'. Mix of road and grass. First 3 were at 10k effort, next 6 were 5km to inside 3km effort, and the last one was a leg stretch. Still have DOMS from the first 2 days of the week  :D
  • TR - sounds like a nice try from Brighton but you do have to wonder sometimes how no one picks up on the pitfalls and either solves them or explains the rationale in the email. Nice paces there with hills involved.
    OO - midweek 14 miler is not be sniffed at. Especially after a 10 the previous day.
    Wardi - good work on your 10.

Taking it easy after jab, just a bit of stretching and saving energy for the weekend. Had a look ahead to the spring for marathons and there is very little out there at the moment. I hope thats just current caution and that things will pop up. Otherwise it'll be a circuit marathon somewhere. I have an entry to Liverpool this October which can't be deferred or refunded. Wondering how little training I could get away with to get round that safely?
  • Apologies for not keeping up with the forums. I really want to, but somehow this pesky work thing (plus training of course) keeps getting in the way. With less than 8 weeks to go until London (we hope) I'm going to try to make more of an effort to log on on my WFH days. 

The bag drop thing sounds awkward, but actually when I think about it, I've had to do similar. The 100k race that I did in 2019 - you couldn't retrieve your bag until quite late in the evening, so I had a few hours with no access to my stuff and I didn't carry a hydration pack as I didn't want extra weight. I just put my phone (switched off), my bank card, a 20 euro note, and the address of the hotel I'd booked in the pockets of my shorts. I did get very cold afterwards though. They didn't supply foil blankets or anything at the end. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - i like the idea of an afternoon 14

TT - you are going well this week

Joe - ive see quite a lot of spring mara dates. Depends which one you are looking at i guess.

The CV secure races like Goodwood have no bag drop, but you park in the field next to the cct, leave everything in the car, and just toddle over to the start 10mins before the off, with yr car key in yr pocket. Thats not possible at the likes of Brighton. They are saying measures are to keep social distancing etc, we'll see what vlm come up with. The smaller maras may end up being a better idea as they will have less restrictions.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    8 weeks to London?  Suddenly seems urgent!  I did book my train & hotel yesterday and was interested to note that the price of the 3 Premier Inns that we usually stay at had dropped about 20% in the last 2-3 months.
    TT.. thanks for the fibro explanation, I had no idea that stress could trigger it.  Good sessions there and a decent chunk of miles.  Hope the DOMS ebbs away!
    TR.. good progressive paces on that loop, nice work.
    I managed another 10.2m yesterday and 2 x 4m today.  I had to pick my routes from offroad options today as the main dual carriageway very close to me was blocked.  A 100 ton crane had gone 'bang' a couple of times and caught fire very quickly.  No casualties thankfully.  All the traffic was re-routing through my home town so chaos ensued.  As of now the eastbound side is still closed.  Picture here, about 1m from my house..

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Speedy - Good to see you back, add your name to the race list.
    TT - I like the look of that long fartlek.
    Joe
    - You've 11 weeks and the GNR, so if you can add a few long runs into the mix and the injury doesn't reoccur I reckon you'd manage it.  Would be novel to run a marathon without the pressure of a time goal and sure there would be longer-term benefits too.

14m in the afternoon sun is fun but draining (3m easy, 6m@7.15, 5m@6.30) so much so had a snooze when returned home. 3m easy with the sniffy pooch this morning (15mm!). 7m easy later. Trying to get another 70m+ week.
  • TR - I'm ruling May out as I'm getting married so March or April is the dream. According to runbritain there's only Bedford autodrome and Cheshire Elite in March and April at the moment. Incidentally I could have rolled over Edinboro to next year but it's the day after our wedding and they wouldn't let me postpone to 2023 which is annoying. As you say though, with current restrictions it might be a case of the smaller the better. 
    OO - I did kind of do that with Abo in 2019 and it wasn't much fun but I was really saving the legs there. I would try a bit harder at Liverpool. I've always thought I could get round a marathon without any training. I did 27 miles of walking in a day a few weeks ago. Will have to see how the longer runs feel. Nice one racking up the miles.
    Wardi - can't beat a premier inn pre race. Nice to be able to rely on the bed. That sounds like a bit of drama! Wouldn't mess with a 100 ton crane...fire or no fire.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - a 14miler and a kip sounds even better.

Joe - understood, how about Manchester then? 3rd April? Always fancied that, but vlm is a lot more local for me.

Another 7m on the viewing road loop today, back to running on the south coast tomorrow.
  • Race List

Sep 12 - Joe, CC2 - Great North Run
    Oct 3 - OO, Wardi, CC2 - London Marathon
    Nov 7 - TT - Reading HM
    Nov 7 - Wardi - Barca Marathon (TBC)

*Praying I didn't mess up the formatting!*
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Looks ok to me CC2!
    TR.. a couple of my clubmates speak highly of Manchester.  It did have some issues a few years back (short course, baggage collection) but all that has been ironed out it seems.
    OO.. good training in the bag and a well deserved 40 winks!
    Joe.. I ran my marathon PB the year I got married so I hope it works for you!  The wife ran it that year too and had to have the dress adjusted due to weight loss during the training. :)
    A steady 5.2m today, thankfully the crane wreck was removed and road repaired overnight so roads back to normal.  Going for a blast at Park Run in the morning.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    joe - I'm in a similar situation with trying to make spring plans. Unless I run sub-72:30 at Reading in 12(?) weeks time I don't have a London time unless I find a circuit marathon before the champs deadline to run sub-2:40 (and that's a dodgy backup given November/December weather)! In an ideal world I'll be on the champs start as a new v45 to see if I can nab a high age grade placing, but we'll see.
    Wardi - doms is manageable now, ta :) Yeah, I've learnt a lot about it over the last couple of years which is why I'm managing to slowly build my training back up again. Wowsers with the crane! Good training!
    OO - good 14m!

13m MLR for me yesterday. Nice and easy. And a variation on Deek Quarters on the roads this morning (started with the 400s so I could finish with a fast 200 after the last 200 float - so 8 x{400m fast/200m float} + 200m fast).
    Averaged 83.4s (5m pace?) and 52.5s, and a 36.6s last 200 to make 18:44 for the 5km. As I get fitter and stronger I'd expect the fast stuff to be around 3km pace so this was done in a 'just ease through it' fashion.
    I missed one run this week (5m rec on Thursday as stuff came up) but have 75m for the week. Talked myself out of chasing the missing 5m to make 80; I'm happy with 75 right now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Wardi  - agreed, it seems to be a good mara now.

TT - well done still building nicely back to it. 75 is good, but i think you should set somewhere around that as yr maximum, whilst you might be able to go a bit higher, i think it'd be wise to keep ticking off weeks away from the cliff edge.

Back on the coast for a sweaty 21m in 2.52, i was tired and hungry and it became a trudge, i dont enjoy the time on feet long runs as much as the progressive +10% long runs, but i need to keep some of them at an easy pace to preserve marches.