Sub 3

Comments

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭
    SJ - sorry to read that, what’s been going on with your ankle? Interested as a physiotherapist myself. Hope you get some clarity.

TR - what’s your frothy of choice? They have Cornish tribute on at my local which I like.

Jools - sorry to read about family members ill health

My plantar fascia pain is finally easing but I’m binning xc today in favour of my lakes short fell race next Saturday. I’ve been doing some good x-training this week with a couple of swims (enjoyed getting back in the pool after a long time) and a solid gym session on the rower/stair master/bike. I’ve found I can simulate some good climbing on the bike and stair master. Debating this morning either another swim or a jogg to gym and x-training session. I’ll aim for a short run tomorrow with a view to a return to some easy running next week fingers crossed. 

Need to try and get my diet back on track a bit from next week. Increased training has meant a bigger appetite but not always the greatest choices 😂
  • That's been ages SJ. What are they looking for in the scan, when you finally get it? 

Parkrun was a soggy affair this morning. I was giving it a blast just to see where I'm at. I guessed 19 and ran 19.02. It rained heavily throughout then turned into full on monsoon during the cool down, which got cut very short! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I heard it was soggy in the Midlands CC2, good effort in the wet

Apart from a few drips the rain held off at York, very gusty from mile 2-3 so times suffered accordingly.  I had a reasonably strong run though, 12 seconds down on last week in a 'no cigar' style 22.01.
    Did a 2m cool down, sat in the car and the heavens opened.  Sunny afternoon so couldn't resist going out for another 5m.

RS.. that looks like a carefully managed recuperation, can't be too careful if you're planning fell/hilly runs I guess.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    RS - well done on the XT. I dont mind a Cornish Tribute, my favourite beers are golden ales and IPAs when its colder, cold beers when its warmer. Last night was a couple of 1664s and a couple of grazing lagers.

We had some serious wind and rain overnight, managed to only get rained on for the first couple of miles today. Did 16m was a bit underpowered and light headed so it became a bit of a trudge. But 6 runs for 64m and 2 turbo sessions is a solid week.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 6 months down today. Nice and steady. Ran 30 min recovery to tick me over 50km for the week. Had a good chat on the phone last night with family and looking forward to getting back. Started looking at races and cross country. I should really join a club for XC but not sure which! TR - you still unattached? I was Victory AC previously and will join Pompey Tri to improve my swim. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Toro - 6 months away ? Thats a long time, when are you coming back? I think you'll be able to run lower level xc with portsmouth Tri ? Sone of the smaller clubs do a lower level xc league. If you want to run Hants league on a Saturday then you'll need to join a bigger club. I rhink Hants league has been condensed this winter.......im unattached Harriers still, i do all my weekday running as commutes, id need to join a club to be able to qualify for any masters teams but not sure id join up just for that,  i defo dont want to run xc.

Turbo intervals this morning.
  • SJ - sorry you're having such a tough time of it. Great that you can do something but hopefully you'll get a resolution soon.
    CC2 - decent parkrunning. rain yday morning was awful and as you'll see below I wasn't as brave as you.
    Wardi - classic weather dodging from you. decent parkrun effort!
    TR - not far from normality for you then only 4 weeks after London. A few more miles and a little more intensity. you're obviously in good shape.
    Toro - good stuff. When are you coming back? 6 months is indeed a long time.

Rest day Friday. Planned parkrun yday but bottled it because it was hammering it down and ended up spending most of the morning trying to get hold of BA without success. 3.5m on treadmill in the process. Did manage the planned 12 this morning. Again woke up to ridiculous rain and there's more flooding out this morning morning I've seen round here in 2.5 years but somehow I got the sun for the hour and a half I needed it for. Feel blessed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good rain avoidance, tricky this weekend......agreed i can jump up the longer mlrs and long runs easily from where i am this week. Still mulling wether to jam in a couple of 20s and do the Goodwood mara, probably best to just do the 1/2 though.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    12 miles yesterday morning and then 90 minutes in the gym this morning.  Last hour was on the cross-trainer and so I took advantage of YouTube on tap to watch some of the men's Olympic marathon (I fell asleep really quickly during the live transmission).  I'd recommend watching a marathon with no audio and just classic soul as a soundtrack.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. that's a decent 16m bagged and a good week of miles/exercise.

Toro.. I know of folk who work a month on/off out at sea, on rigs etc but 6 months is a long stint!  Safe journey back 

Jools.. good 12m yesterday, hope the calfs behaved.  That marathon was certainly a hot one, made me sweat watching it.

Joe.. good that you got a dry weather window, similar here this morning.

As above after very heavy rain early on the sun suddenly emerged around 1pm so got out for a steady 5.3m.  Got wet feet splashing through a couple of flooded sections on my road route - that I've not seen flooded before.

• SJ - Cheers and so sorry to hear your injury is still there, must be massively frustrating for you.
    Joe - Cracking fastish 36 min "10k" earlier in the week.
    TR - 16m bagged, good man. 
    Toro - That's a long-time to be away. A good few adventures though. 
    Jools - Sounds very chilled.
    Wardi - A decent PR all the same.

12.5m this morning @ 7.45 mm with the weather the star, sunshine and blue skies one minute, torrential rain the next, so looking massively to Gran Canaria marathon in 3 weeks time.  But won't be doing the Malaga marathon now, with life getting in the way. 
  • October 126 miles, strange month. Started with a week of Covid, 1 week of light training, 1 week of tapering, a 2.51 marathon and a week of recovering. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - thats a good weekend double.

Wardi - not surprised re the flooding, its been a very wet weekend for sure.

OO - shame re Malaga, ill expect that 4 weeks of CV/training to be added to the next editio of P and D.
  • TR - Ha ha, now that would be topical!!

Hope to do Malaga again but booked the Madeira marathon in late Jan instead.  Not run this previously nor any in Portugal so a new country to add to the list.  Temps should be good - mid 20's perhaps and an 8 rather than 3 week gap from Gran Canaria.  Flights from Bristol are good and at £30 really cheap.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    OO - that sounds better than cold long runs in January here.

10m home tonight, head torch was needed in the country lanes, felt pretty cold, might be a frosty run back round them in the morning.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice commuting run, I gave my winter head torch & other lights a charge today.  Not liking these dark evenings already!

OO.. sorry to see you can't make Malaga.  I was looking forward to a post race report with  beer (or possibly sherry!).  How do you stand with recovering any booking costs?

Wet & windy again this morning so delayed a run until this afternoon.  Looks like calmer & drier weather for the next few days.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Just over a month to go. I'm sure it'll be on TV.

OO - Shame about Malaga but Madeira is nice. 
    TR - Thanks and good run.

• I did manage to miss the rain on Sunday. The forecast was right and it cleared up by lunch time. Still got soaked though because drivers are gits and like to drive through puddles sending a tidal wave over the footpath! 

I went to the Masters Worlds Champs in Malaga. I really didn't like it as a place. Not easy to navigate, not massively attractive, too touristy... Alicante on the other hand, was lovely. But noisy at night if you made the mistake of staying in the city centre, which I did!
  • CC2 - I was sure someone would do that to me but I dodged it. Did see a couple of runners get drenched but they were stood chatting next to a massive puddle so it could have been avoided.
    Wardi -  I have dug my head torch out too for the days where running in the dark can't be avoided. Hopefully you're making the most of today's lovely weather.
    OO - Solid choice. Mid 20s sounds nice out and about, i'm guessing it wouldn't be that warm for the race?

4 miles yesterday to get out of the house. 8.5 miles today as an aerobic 7.5 and then some uphill sprints and strides. For the aerobic I ignored paces and focused on keeping my HR in the right range although with a slightly uphill second half it did creep a bit towards the end. Average pace came out at 6:42 which i'm happy with.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - thats tidy pace, you must be imroving nicely at the mo. Hopefully you'll be back towards where you were soon.

9m back in this morning in some frosty lanes inc 12x3min, had some pretty tight hammies and bum-cakes, probably from Sunday's S and C. Nearly ran home again tonight but thought it best to bike it and not push my luck.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. impressive morning commute with those quicker sections.  The bike return was probably sensible.

Joe.. good pace for that run considering the hill work.  Yes much better conditions today, I didn't miss that pesky wind at all!

4.3m in the sun this morning.  6.2m with the club tonight which included 6 x 500m for leg turnover.
  • Cheers folks. Very frustrating and as the nights are drawing in and the weather has been awful I've ran out of distractions. Ergo I have been working more hours than I should as still wfh. A bad combination if there ever was one. 

RS - My left ankle started to feel sore and lacking range of motion at the start of runs. Once warmed up (2-3km) it didn't bother me so I kept running on it. However, it was sore at night, especially noticeable once lying in bed. Sore enough to stop me falling asleep initially so after a particularly iffy track session where it was sore after every rep I decided on a bit of time off. 

Physio sessions got some range of motion back with some noticeable soreness at flexion and dorsiflexion. I started up some s&c exercises to promote range of motion and introduced some single leg stuff in addition to plyometrics and proprioception drills. I actually think some of the hopping drills aggravated it some more so stopped doing those :neutral:

However, I have seen little improvement. The big give away is single leg calf raises. The left ankle is significantly weaker than the right and hasn't improved one bit. It still fatigues really quickly and I struggle much more than the right. 

Trying to keep this post concise but I took to paying for a consultation to try and move the diagnosis along. This proved semi useful in that an initial assessment suggested ATFL or CFL or possibly a more  degenerative disorder but a scan would be required. So it could be any of those kind of assessment. Difficult to tell without seeing inside the ankle of course. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    SJ - As said massively frustrating and like you I use running as my safety/ sanity valve.  Swimming would be a decent activity for you, I was/ still am a dreadful swimmer, but found it ticked the box.
    Wardi - I hadn't booked flights or hotels and my marathon entry has been lost in the mists of time. 
    Joe - Not sure, January is their least warmest month, so maybe 18C at race start and 22C at its end.  
    Rest day today having had 5 days of running.  Toying with a solo 13m run on Saturday with the last 5@HMP. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good idea on the 500s Wardi

SJ - thats bad news, most frustrating. Have yo considered doing a Moose and getting on the elliptical as inspired by Jess Sensson?

OO - not sure about 13 inc 5 hmp for you 2 wks after Newport, when is your next mara ? 2 more weeks ? Id stick with mp at quickest if so.

10m easy home tonight. Still got a pretty tight hammy, will back the S and C off a bit to see if that helps.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Wardi - i must be going soft in my old age.......i saw a running rain jacket on offer so purchased one for this winter.
  • OO - that's toasty. probs a temp that feels much better abroad than it would here though. 
    SJ - very frustrating. hopefully you're on the first step to getting back to fitness and health though. hope it all goes well. 
    Wardi - good looking double and good work on the faster stuff.
    TR - hopefully easing off the S&C should help. it has its time and it's place but could be making things worse.

In London for work so it was back to laps of regent's Park this morning with the headtorch for the first 20 mins. Only 6.5 miles but that's ok. Some ITB tightness has come back which is a little frustrating as I've been keeping up with strengthening this time around. Should be able to manage it to race day though hopefully.
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    TR in a rain jacket? I blame climate change.

I had lactate threshold testing done last night. You run on a treadmill for 3 mins, they take blood (finger prick), go again slightly faster, repeat until you get to over 2mmol/L higher than your base. My estimated lactate threshold is currently around 165 HR, which on a pancake flat treadmill was 6 min miling. Passed that all over to Coach Vince. I wonder what he'll do with it....
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    A 2.37 marathon surely beckons CC2. :D
    TR.. I thought you might give in after so many wettings.  My Gore jacket is very light but completely wind & water proof.  Lovely piece of kit but I can't wear it in the summer - too warm!
    OO.. that's good if you haven't lost much outlay.  I hadn't booked any flights/hotel for Barca either, just lost the entry fee.  I see Barca is 3rd April next year.
    SJ.. what a miserable time for you, non improving injuries are the pits.  Hope you can get a proper diagnosis eventually.

My legs were a bit jelly like after Tuesday's intervals so an easy day yesterday with a mere 4m on the treadie (first time since March).  Back to it with 11.4m this morning, a bit breezy but the sun was out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - sounds like youve caught that early.

CC - 6mm sounds about right, that'd be 10m in 60min.

Wardi - good one on the mlr. Yes i blame you for all the jacket posts planting the seed. The tricky thing will be making sure its at the right end of the run commute.

Rare double (5÷7) today to make sure my bike is at the right end of the commute to be able to run in tomorrow.
  • Joe - that must have been an early run. Hope the ITB is a non issue.
    Wardi - Barca in April, worth a good ponder that one. 
    TR - Snap double here to.
    Part 1 - 4m with pooch.
    Part 2 - A run for my  high visibility running (well its a cycling) jacket as a rare visit onto the dark and windy lanes of Bodmin Moor, 7m @ 8.30 mm. Serene in the dark with only cows and sheep for company.