Sub 3

Comments

• LT is usually in the vicinity of your 5k all out pace. It's not the same as tempo pace and certainly no-one runs a full marathon at their threshold, so I'm afraid the 2.37 marathon isn't quite on the cards :smiley:
  • I thought LT was about 10K pace, else, how are you meant to do the P&D 7@LT?
    Sounds lovely OO.
    Still trotting along every day since Newport in spite of a 10 day lurgy.
    5 quicker miles in the sunshine at lunchtime. Very pleasant.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. I normally run through bugs if it's not a respiratory thing, congrats on the continued streak.

Nice double TR.  I used to find having the right kit/clothes in the right place for commutes was quite a challenge!

OO.. that does sound like an eerily pleasant run.  A few of the country lanes/tracks near me can be like that.

6.4m today, much lighter winds and blue sky again.  Parkrun tomorrow with a few miles added on.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like my commute round the lanes in the dark, listening for owls.

CC - i take LT as approx 1hr pace, so 6mm sounds about right to me. P and D calls for up to 6 or 7m of it which is too far and fast for me, im more hmp for only a few miles in those runs.

Jools - hope you get well soon, don't be a streaket just for the sake of the streak though.

Wardi - agreed on that.

Was super cold and frosty for this mornings 8m commute in, the fields looked super crunchy.
  • I have that extended lurgy thing Jooligan. I have had a sore throat for about 3 weeks with a cough in the mornings. I assumed it was the central heating being switched on. However, a stinker of a cold has now arrived. Yuck. No fever though and negative LF tests confirm its a case of this lingering cold that I seem to have completely missed in the national news. Something to do with lack of exposure to various viruses over the past two years due to lockdowns etc. 

I booked another appointment at a different physio in two weeks time. A second opinion and perhaps a different approach to rehab can't hurt whilst I wait for the scan. I think I needed to instigate something as I have lost focus again. 

CC2 - I always wanted to get a LT test. Interesting to have some numbers and I reckon your coach will come up with all manner of paces for you to train at based off the info. 

TR / Wardi - missing out on the rubbish weather is a bonus but I'd rather be out there of course. 

Going soft or growing wiser TR re wet weather garments? A tightrope for sure :smile:

Speaking of being out there, I think you asked about the treadmill recently Wardi - its currently out of action - since March! due to requiring a new running belt. Engineer who visited me in September also determined a new running deck and idler rollers also need replacing. Its back in the manufacturer's court and parts availability.

Currently tracking parts December delivery, then I have to wait for those to be fitted. I feel like I've been a bit burnt by this purchase tbh. I did some more research for a mate and if I had the money again would buy the one I recommended to him. Having helped him assemble it, it is much more what I would have preferred. Old school dot matrix display, basic operation, solidly built, instead of the wifi dependent machine I ended up with due to pandemic availability.

Joe - hope the itb settles. 

OO - I imagine its almost pitch black where you are running those quiet lanes? I almost ran into a cow in the dark once whilst cutting across a field. Genuinely never saw it. You can imagine my fright ! Almost jumped out of my skin. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. I got my running belt from Euro Treadmills, Stockton on Tees.  They also do running decks and motor drive belts.  Just quote your model number on the website and find the price.  Lots in stock and only a few days delivery if it has to be made to order.  The belt I bought is better than the original.  How old is your treadie?
    Sorry to hear about the lurgy!
  • Wardi - nice longer run. Good to experience the occasional jelly legs. Hope parkrun goes well tomorrow.
    OO - You wouldn't want to startle a cow in the dark I suspect!
    CC2 -  and I thought LT was what you could sustain for an hour. Which at 6 min/mileing is probably about right for you?
    TR - Was cold out last night. Definitely a bit of a shock to the system.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself today as my ITB is really tight and giving me knee pain doing anything. It's come on so quickly this time that I hope it buggers off quickly as well but I thought that about the achilles pain. Running with a mate in London tuesday morning so I'm going to rest until then and see how it goes. 
  • SJ - Running into a cow bloody dangerous. Thankfully,  various farm animals behind wire. Good idea on the 2nd opinion.
    Joe - Go easy now.
    TR - Taking your advice and MP for 5m in tomorrow's 13M.

As it is getting cold, what do we think about running in tights - asking for a friend?
    6m progressive tonight, 7.25 to 6.25 mm, really like these sort of runs. Very serene in the dusk along the river. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey SJ, you're having a bad time of it. Good idea on a 2nd physio, you need to find one that tries to keep you active, maybe one who is an athlete?

Joe - hopefully you can free that up.

OO - sounds like you were doing some mp today too. I guess tights are ok if its cold enough (minus a good few degrees) I had shorts on this morning and it was neg temps out in the lanes. Although to be fair i wear longish shorts. I could feel the cold more in my arms and hands (both had 2 layers) than my legs.

Meant to say Gosport 1/2 number came (2 weeks time), need to get the creaky old legs moving a bit, but im trying not to annoy them too much this week.
  • Tights are ok in very cold weather but only in the dark. Shorts when people can see you during the day is my rule :smile:

Wardi - treadmill is still under warranty so not going to buy anything out of my own pocket just yet.  Interestingly I was contacted by them yesterday afternoon asking if I want to escalate the issue to their returns dept. to see about a replacement unit. That took me by surprise I have to say. 

TR - new physio is a former triathlete so hoping for some different ideas. Reset is what is needed mentally speaking. Nice to have a little focus with the half a couple of weeks away. 

OO - those progressive runs are great when everything is working beautifully. Such a great feeling flying along in the last 10 mins or so. Great stuff. 

Joe - hope the rest eases things. 
  • Still reeling from the guilt of (my friends cough cough) tight wearing. Unacceptable but so cosy. 

14m in a mix of sunshine and rain squalls with my running pal. First 8m steady @ 7.45 mm, then picked it up for 6m @ 6.30 pace. A key session d&d, just 2*4m blasts scheduled over the next week then time to pack the factor 20  B) 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - hopefully the new physio helps you get back to it.

OO - you racing next sunday? If so today's run was ideal.

16m here, had a bit of a cold so wasnt sure if id try to wind it up in 2nd 8m, but felt ok so 2nd 8m at approx mp +10%, biggest issue was the headwind. 65m for the week.
  • TR - Thats a good run and very decent week. My race is 2 weeks Sunday, the same as Gosport. My last week tends to be a bit easier. So probably 10 next weekend with 4 @ hmp. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR/OO.. cracking runs from both of you, not the best day for it either.

Joe.  shame about that niggle but sensible to rest ITB related knee problems.

SJ.. ah, I see!  After the list of parts you were told needed replacing on the treadie I assumed you had maybe bought it used!  That's a lot of problems for a relatively new treadie.  My running mat lasted about 12 years and the original board seems ok.  What make/model is it?

15mph winds at the Parkrun - I wouldn't mind but there was barely a breath of wind last night.  The bonfire smoke was hanging around like smog.
    Similar to last week the middle mile was hard work and the slowest.  Got my head down after that and made a  Bubka-esque improvement on last week's 22.01 with a cigar winning 21.57.
    A bit before and after to make up 10m for the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - oh i see, I'd still only go as fast as mp in that run next weekend, if you want to run some hmp then id do it in a shorter tempo midweek.

Wardi - nice cigar.

I wondered what mara marders was training for as he didnt appear at Vlm or Manch, he was at Barca today.

Turbo intervals today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.  the conditions at Barca were spot on today, 9-16 degrees & blue sky, light winds during the race.  It's been close to that the 4 times I've done it so I reckon they must have a special arrangement with the weather gods!

7.2m today in a blustery wind again, 55m for the week.  3 chunkier weeks coming up  before a 2 week taper.
  • You must have had mixed feelings with Barca today Wardi, were you able to roll your entry to the 2022 race?  That's a good week and nice PR.

First glance at forecast temperatures for 21 Nov, Gran Canaria, 8 am  20C feels like 23C, 11 am 23C feels like 26C.  Scorchio.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. no option to roll over again but as it stands next year's date clashes with a holiday anyway.  I do want to return though so 2023 is looking like my next visit to Barca.
    Currently considering spring options like Rotterdam, Krakow, Zurich.
    Those Gran Canaria temps do look a bit warm, you could do with a couple of sauna sessions to acclimatise.  ;)

Some happy news from the grapevine.. Dan A & Jen became the proud parents of a baby girl last Thursday.  All doing well.

5.4m this morning in pleasantconditions, the wind speed has dropped dramatically.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - barca looked good, there was certainly some quick times. Congrats to Dan and Jen then.

OO - it will certainly be warmer in Gran Canaria than Gosport seafront.

10m home tonight
  • TR - It had better be. 
    Wardi - That's great news.  Haven't seen Dan since the start of the 2019 marathon! Previously saw him at the Gran Canaria race in 2019, he was there with Jen having a sporting holiday (those days are gone for a while). 
  • Hi all.  I've skim-read the last week's worth of posts now I'm back from a break in Jersey.  I didn't do a huge amount of running, but Mr. J and I went for a nice walk each day, and I did a couple of 6 milers, plus a cautious 2 miles up and down some hills.  After a delayed outward sailing due to choppy seas, we were fortunate with the weather in general.  5 miles easy this morning.
  • Jools - sounds nice. Running isn't the be all and end all, think walking can be good cardio in itself.
    OO - That's toasty! If the media reports at the moment are anything to go by I might live long enough to see that as a regularity in the UK!
    Wardi - shame about barca but you can't know if you'd have put in a decent run.
    TR - 16 miler eh? You're fairly out on your own here with those kind of long runs at the moment.

My 4 days rest did nothing to alleviate my tight ITB. I've done a bit of stretching and massaging but nothing seems to be getting through to it. I decided to run today and did 6.5 nice sunny miles around London with a mate. My heart says I should try to battle through and lay down a decent time bearing in mind my 2020 and 2021 fitness has not resulted in anything noteworthy in races. My head says I should stop and regroup (again!). The middle option is to bring my half forward and maybe race something in 3 weeks time. Close enough to maintain fitness but hopefully not long enough to do any lasting damage. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice one on the break, sounds like it was good.

Joe - maybecget someone to look at it/free it up before it becomes an issue......16 is a deliberate reduction for a few weeks too.....i never train towards any other distances than maras though, i just use shorter races as training.

Double 07 today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sounds a nice break Jools, I'm looking forward to my week in Malaga even though there's a marathon involved!

TR.. nice double there, a commute there & back I guess?

Joe.. ITB exercises are tricky done solo.  The uncomfortable option where a physio runs his elbow down your ITB is much more effective. 🙄

4m + 7m double today.  Out with the club tonight, it was like a sultry evening in May.  14 degrees so definitely t-shirt & shorts weather!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi  - yep, weekday runs are all hidden in commutes. Defo much warmer after last wks frosting.

Wondered if i should sack off todays planned session as the body has been groaning, but felt ok so 9m inc 12x3mins.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice session TR, good that the old body was up for it!  Re. kit in the right place - I once packed the SPO's running tights for a cold run home.  Luckily I could just fit into them!

10.2m this morning, calmer than a mill pond and nice temps so an enjoyable run.  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Joe - That ITB of yours is a worry  sounds like a visit to the physio could be a good move. Shame as I bet you were enjoying running in Central Londons parks.
    TR - A good session, you seem to have an admirable ability to suffer but get it done.
    Wardi - That 10 miler does seem a good one. Malaga within sight now.

9 days from jumping on the plane to Gran Canaria so getting my head around the various travel requirements, lots of forms and QR codes! Thank god I am double vaxxed. Running wise  just doing easy miles this week as have a slight groin pain, so will delay my faster sess until Sunday. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - ha ha, i left my ulra vest at the wrong end of the commute yday, so had to run with a rucksack this morning, which i dont like.

OO - easy on that groin. Yes, i run in discomfort most of the time at the mo, gets a bit tedious. Learning to suffer comes in handy on race day.

4m and 7m. Done the odd double recently, today was 2nd this week. First time in years ive done that, hopefully it helps me get moving a bit better. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Similar TR.. 4m + 5.3m double today, it's what I could fit in either side of home chores!  Gorgeous day up here, sun & no wind to speak of.

Tried out 2 new pairs of shoes I got at bargain prices, 1 pr off roaders and 1 pr racers (NB1500).  Love the 1500's from the off, I do have a pair of the 1400's too.

OO.. I'm trying to sort the various requirements for getting to/from Malaga.  I think I've found 4 covid related docs, procedures that are not normally required - I thought it was supposed to be easier than it was before!

• Nice doubling guys, 4.5m for me av. 6.20 at dusk on a slightly wet muddy field. Groin thankfully OK.

Wardi - yes, plenty of admin to do. I ordered my LFT from aeromedical, the reference number for the UK bound PLF arrived instantly, the test today. Don't forget your EHIC too.