Sub 3

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Wardi - I got it at the start of the pandemic so still under 2 year warranty. It's a NordiTrack T14. Anyway, in a complete about turn any politician would be proud of, Icon fitness, the treadie manufacturers offered me a full refund!! Thank you very much indeed.

It gets collected tomorrow. I have my eye on a Noble-pro next. Marigold has one so it must be good. I also talked a mate into getting one and having helped him assemble it, can confirm it's a solid machine. Slightly smaller footprint than the Nordic and a lot more low fi in terms of tech. The nordic had an android screen which had to be connected to wifi to function. Far too Peleton for my liking. 

Joe - sorry to read the ITb issue is persisting. As others maybe get some treatment before making it any worse. 

TR / Wardi - nicely doubling. I do miss the ability to commute mileage. 

Jools - break sounded great. Getting some running in as well as the less impacting walks sounds perfect. 

OO / Wardi - more logistics to consider focuses the mind even more so I imagine with a race abroad coming up. I see Austria are taking measures to lock down those not double vaxed. I wonder if we will start to see more of that in coming weeks/months. Good luck with final prep OO.

A single 5k run this week. Work has kept me busy. Crazy really as I'm between projects but planning for the next so even busier than when in full production. 

Physio next monday where I've decided to be honest and tell them what I've tried and been advised. I was going to present as if having no treatment just to see what they say but that seems pointless if they then prescribe the same things I've already tried unsuccessfully. 
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    St J - Great news about refund. Fingers crossed for physio.
    TR / Wardi - I'm looking forward to exercise commuting and being able do my bit for the environment.

• 12 miles for me this morning.  A bit grey and breezy.  The route was more undulating than I've done of late, and I think represented the very limit of what my calves will take, but hopefully if I gradually re-introduce routes like this whilst I'm still running alternate days the calves will gradually strengthen.  

Wardi/OO: that's exactly why we opted for a holiday in Jersey.  I just couldn't face all of that admin...!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - great news on the treadie refund, shame it took so long for them to change direction. Hope the new physio gives you a similar result. Defo worth telling them the full story.

Toro - are you going to be shore based for a while ? Back here ?

That seems a well judged run jools, 12m is a decent distance. Are you still XT on the alternate days ?

Had a day off work today, so went out for a longish run, did my recent total of 16m and added a bonus mile for 17m in total seeing as the rain had stopped by the end of the 16, copped an absolute weather beating in the wind and rain.

• TR - Good perseverance through the sessions. Doubling looks good as well. That's some miles being racked up!
    Wardi - good work on the shoes. I'm considering a change of brand for my regular mileage. Not sure if my Nike consistency is worthwhile, although I do get 10% off.
    OO - Nice pace on grass. Good that the groin is ok. The holiday admin doesn't sound like much fun. Not convinced I wouldn't forget to do something.
    SJ - Good news on the treadmill. Good luck at the physio. Hopefully has you looking forward positively.
    Jools - A good run to get through no doubt. Would have thought it was indeed sensible to mix that kind of work in every now and then. 

Went for a sports massage today at the place the club captain goes. Hopefully it will have loosened things up a bit. I've booked myself in already for ten hour-long sessions which will be roughly every 2 weeks. Should hopefully have a positive effect. At £20 each I thought it was a bargain. He had a different view to physios I think, talking about the benefit of muscles being loose as well as strong. Strength work, particularly squats and lunges etc contracts muscles and so can make them tight which then impacts on your running. So he was suggesting it's a combination of the strength work but stretching/massaging to keep yourself loose for running. Makes sense I guess. 

Anyway, I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for the next week so not the worse time to not be running. I can probably still salvage a decent half in the new year if I'm back at it in a week or so's time. We'll see.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. best of luck with the physio treatment, hope you can get back to pain free running soonest.  Enjoy Scotland ( I am assuming it's a hol!).
    SJ.. a refund sounds right given the number of problems inside the warranty.  I guess they know what they are doing re. picking it up - mine was over 90kg and it took 4 of us to get it upstairs!
    Jools.. sounds like you estimated that run distance well, good to be back in double digit territory.  Re. foreign travel.. I have a couple of chums who have travelled to Spain/Canaries very recently so hopefully I have good sources of advice.
    TR.. nice long run today, shame about the wind and the soaking.  Sod's law after the calm dry stuff of recent days.  It's all calming down again overnight here.
    Toro.. are you back in the UK yet?
    Just over 5m this morning. A bit blustery but managed to avoid the afternoon showers.  Parkrun tomorrow, conditions look ok.  It is also our annual club dinner tomorrow night - nice grub and plenty of wine/ale is usually consumed. :p
  • I wondered why it was so wet n windy this morning TR! ;)
    Excellent choice of replacement TM SJ. Russell Bentley does a lot of his training on a NoblePro too. Hope you get to use it properly ASAP.
    I’d agree with your fizz Joe - I did a load of weighted squats, lunges & deadlifts Wednesday afternoon & then an 8M run which felt good however the last 2 days I’ve struggled to get any leg turnover cause it all feels too tight like I’m fighting myself. Hoping they’ll be ok tomorrow morning for parkrun & then XC Sunday.
    That’s sharp pace on grassy mud OO.
    Nice to be back up to a dozen Jools.
    Good consistency Wardi. Hope conditions are in our favour at 9am tomorrow.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I hope the PR went well, would like to run these but the nearest to me is a 20 mile round journey.
    Nice one TR and good to get the dozen up Jools after your calf issues.
    Good news on the treadie SJ and cheers.

Final proper run before the Gran Canaria marathon a week Sunday. 11m inc 10K @ 39.50 which felt pacy enough but plenty in the tank.  Drank my last beer last night (St Austell Ales, Tribute) until Saturday night when after collecting my running number I have my eyes on a number of beachside bars in Maspalomas for a few cold ones and last minute carbo-loading. Though am also considering asking if the race organisers could drop our numbers off at the hotel, as from the time the plane lands we have just over an hour to collect these before the Expo closes and expecting arrival admin hassles.
  • 70 minutes in the gym this morning (30 on the bike and 40 on the cross-trainer).  My quads had definitely taken things too easy since my last visit a fortnight ago (1 week of that was being on holiday, but the other week was because apathy ruled).  Ooof.  I need to stop being lazy about going to the gym!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - agreed re the s and c and loosening.  We defo get too tight from all the miles, the s and c i do can sometimes make me tighter. The spo does Youtube pilates sessions, they'd probably be good for runners......worth having 2 or 3 differing every day shoes and just getting older versions in when they are cheaper, i like to get my every day shoes for around £60. Emjoy Scotland, hopefully you are going qell agsin soon.

Wardi - that social sounds good. Im going to have a madras and trimmings after a decent couple of days mileage.

Jooligan - i tend to fare better with bodyweight squats, lunges, dl etc but then decide i should lift weights and increase the until i set myself back again.

Jools - gym visits take logistics though. Id find it hard to travel to turbo.

OO - oooh that might be tight with only an hours window. Defo worth contacting them.

Legs felt ok after ydays 17m, so i backed it up with 18m this morning. Been a good week.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR - Amazing back to back longish stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to train for a while. We bought a house in May and move in 21 Dec. Back in a month's time. Almost counting the days except for a looming exam 2 days after we return!

Joe - massage sounds good. I think I've had two ever.

Wardi - Nearly home! *looks at map* Still looks a long way! Enjoy dinner.

I have felt really lethargic over the last 10 days. Can only really charge myself up to 80% at best and even though mentally I am motivated my body is struggling. Have eased back and trying not to beat myself up. 10Km outdoors in 30 degrees heat today with 9x 15 sec sprints (Garmin suggested workout). 

Focus: Not gaining too much weight. Studying for exam next month. Then I'll look at house move and starting to train for 2022.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Cracking double long runs TR, enjoy the Madras & pickles/naans.  Madras was my choice last Sunday!
    Good work in the gym Jools - do you have a decent view from your exercising positions?
    Toro.. bon voyage, how many legs on the journey?
    OO.. Hope the logistics work well on the day, stress isn't needed 24hrs before a marathon!  Nice 11m run today with a sub 40 10k in there.
    Jooligan.. good conditions for my Parkrun, was yours similar?

A solid 21.50 at Parkrun (7 secs quicker than last week & bang on 7mm) with a few miles added on. 10-11 degrees and lightish winds so a nice day for it.
  • Tidy run OO.
    Great back-back LRs TR.
    Nice improvement Wardi
    Slight, but noticeable, headwind on the outward leg for me but nice to have it behind us for the return. Legs still a bit tight so 14s slower than last week but still sub-20 at least.
  • Good news - the race organisers have given the OK so we can collect our numbers on Sunday before the race, so one less thing to worry about (now worrying about remembering safety pins)!
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Hoping to get a lot of quality cycling in at the next port visit. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - how was the booze up?

Jools - hopefully the legs free up soon.

Toro - where is the new place? Plymouth? Do you have a bike on board?

OO - thats a relie, that would have been tight. 

Turbo day, 10min wu, 20 x 90s/30s, 5 x 30s/30s, 5min wd. Legs were spinning well, hopefully they'll rotate a bit at Gosport next Sunday.
  • 13 miles this morning, making 40 for the week (off 4 runs) and 70 minutes cross-training.  Although it's now clouded over here, it was a beautiful sunny morning.  It did feel a bit weird being in shorts and a vest in mid-November, though!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Toro.. I was secretly hoping it was trains, planes & automobiles. :D

Jooligan.. nice work grinding out the sub 20.

OO.. crikey that's a blessed relief.  Don't tell me they're offering entries on the day too? :)

TR.. that sounds like a tough turbo session, kudos for seeing it through.  Hope the Indian fayre was good last night.

Jools.. those MLR's always feel easier somehow in nice weather, encouraging that you've managed 12m & 13m runs this week.

Similar beautiful morning here, blue sky/sun & 10-12 degrees.  I can't remember the last time I've run in November without gloves but kept them in my pocket today.  12.4m in t-shirt & shorts, 59m for the week.
    The club do was very good last night, about 100 of us.  It's been so long since we could all get together it did feel a bit more special.  Nice tucker, beer & dancing, didn't drink too much though!
    Indian takeaway & a few cold beers planned for tonight, yum. 
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR - No, we'll be in Baffins - first time buyer so nothing fancy but good to get onto the Eastern Road and get out of Pompey! 
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR - yes bike on board. Next port visit is bit warmer than Plymouth but popular with cyclists. It'll be nice to be back in Europe (currently over 30 degrees still). Nice turbo work. I did 12 x 10s 440W today. 

Jools - Solid effort again - good week.

Wardi - Sounds awesome! 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    TR - Strong back to back sessions.
    Jools - 13m, nice one. 
    Toro - Sure, it will be great to get back.
    Wardi - That's a decent week, nice one.  Another big one then taper time for Malaga. 

Marathon Week! 40m for last week with a few decent sessions so target time and think I will aim for 2.55 next Sunday as the heat in the second half tends to take its toll so aiming for a pace split of 1.26/1.29.   Today an easy 4m trail run along the coast with the pooch.  Nearly ready for the marathon, just getting more details of the race now, no gels on the course, dates and figs - mm.  Slight uptick in temps, now 24C but feels like 27C at 11 am.   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- a good weekend of food and drink!

Toro - nice, i lived in Baffins and went to school there. Agreed easy to get out through Rowlands Castle and into West Sussex from there, out into the downs. Im impresed that you get to take yr bike.

OO - feels like 27 degrees isnt a problem ill be having on Sunday, havnt looked yet but will be around 20 degrees less than that.

Legs were objecting after recent efforts so juat a 6m slow commute home tonight.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    London GFA window is open
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. that sounds like a sweaty day but best approach is surely to try and enjoy the winter warmth - not to mention the dates and figs.

Toro..  sailing ever closer!  

TR.. similar here, a steady 5.4m this morning.  Conditions still very pleasant.

• Dates and figs sounds like a sure fire way to need the toilet to me! Will you be taking gels with you OO?

I struggle to keep up on here now I'm back in the office most days. I'm not a fan. An hour and a half per day commuting seems such a pointless waste of time now I know that WFH is possible! 

I won the Notts Epic Trail 10k last weekend. It's a huge race with something like 2000 entries, but weirdly nobody decent runs it. I think there should have been a trophy but I didn't have time to hang around. Maybe it will turn up in the post at some point. Then this weekend was the seconds race in the North Mids XC league. We extended our lead in the team standings and I'm still well clear as first V40. Two more to go.... 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one on the race win CC, top work. LMH won an ultra a few years back, great when the ladies show the whole field the way home.

5m and 7m for me today. 3min reps tomorrow then a few easy days before Sundays 1/2.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Speedy- Big congratulations on the win, that's special. Yes, 4 gels already packed. Unlucky on the back to the office. I've been WFH for 20+ years now,  couldn't cope full time in an office.

TR - A more active taper than me. Was going to have a rest day but everything said go for a run, so an easy 4m around dusk with a few strides. 

More details from the marathon, it's a 2 lapper and they seem to have compressed a course into a fairly tight urban area so plenty of cutbacks. Good news is the race hosts the Spanish masters marathon championships so should be some company. Bad news is my brother can no longer make it  which is a real bugger as don't see him often, certainly notv4 days in the sun. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I too prefer to tick over during the taper, hope all goes smoothly before race day.  Shame about Bruv though.

CC2..very impressive trail win, you can only beat who turns up.  Team contest looking good too!

TR.. nice double there, almost matched you with a similar double of 4.3m + 7.5m.  Mild again with light winds.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    OO - shame re the race plans.......im only doing a 1/2 so dont need much of a taper. Plus im more interested in keeping on towards next years maras.

Wardi - it was frosty in the lanes again here this morning. We've had a few pretty cold mornings already.