Sub 3

Comments

• 11 miles yesterday, with one big climb in it :)  Half an hour in the gym today, watching back the women's 10,000 from Doha.  I will run out of distance races at some point, but for the moment they are stopping me from going mad.  

Well done on the win, Speedy

OO; sounds like an interesting/challenging course.  Sorry to hear about your brother not being able to come to the marathon any more, but I hope the 4 days in the sun are still pleasant!
  • Congratulations Speedy - living up to your moniker.
    Good luck racing OO & TR
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - theres loads of races on YouTube no doubt. 

Had a rubbish 3min session today, got a bit of a cold, was tired and achey. Starting to think my hammy/bum cake thing might be a bit pf like as i got the nerve type isdue where my leg tried to give way a couple of times. Av pace was poor. Its done, we move on.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. a couple of the girls in my club have booked the Ibiza marathon on April 9th.  It does have a climb or two in it but the one thing I raised an eyebrow at was the start time of 3.30pm!  I would guess it will be quite warm there in April in the afternoon sun.  The organisers claim it gives the best views of the Island but I think I would prefer the relative cool of the morning. :/

Jools.. Nice 11m done, I guess Bristol isn't short of hills. I sometimes watch a race from Youtube when I'm on the treadie.  The foreign marathons & half-maras are often covered though you have to endure a native language commentary on occasions.

15.5m done earlier.  Enjoyed the run, it was sunny but breezy today so did an out & back down the fairly sheltered York-Selby cycle trail route. 
  • 6 miles with 8 sets of strides.  It's the first time I've run in lightweight trainers since September without issues :smile:
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Wardi - Good LSR, not too many left to do now?  3.30 pm seems a very strange time to run a marathon race. I think Stockholm or Copenhagen do something similar in the summer. 
    TR - Take it easy, you've been saying you've had an achey body for a few days and that long run double over the weekend must have taken a few prisoners.
    Jools - Coming back strongly, nice one.

Travel admin now hopefully sorted with multiple phone based copies of QR codes/ booking references everything. The race is live on Canarian TV - makes a change from volcanoes on La Palma I guess. For those interested, its on https://rtvc.es/en-directo  Probably going to be running in the race white sleeveless vest and hopefully finish around 10.56 give or take a few minutes. A 4 miler later with my running pal with a few 200m bursts planned, more for the mind than body.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Great work Jools - looking more positive every day.

Wardi - very odd start. Sounds like a nice autumnal 15.5

Good luck OO - sadly my wifi won't support!

3 x 8 min @ 160bpm in 48 mins total (Garmin suggested) - quite enjoyed it after a bit of a funk.

Busy work day yesterday. Makes you think and make the most of each day. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Decent mlr there wardi, perks of being retired

Jools - thats a good sign then, nice.

OO - hopefully you'll get this one ticked off nicely, before any more travel restrictions pop up in europe.......days ? Im still not right post vlm, funny thing is that 18m was the best run ive had in ages in terms of my body. Range of motion in the s and c are my new areas of interest.

Toro - that Garmin coach is funny, its always telling me to rest, but didnt rate my vlm race and then spent everyday for a week teying to get me to do a session when id had 5 days off after vlm. It has no idea of any target races either.

Remember back in the day when someone posted theyd been unable to train as their gadget had broken.....ive left mine at home, and its a run home day........
  • I have a Garmin 45S - mainly chosen because it is the smallest one they do and I have tiny wrists - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the 'coach' function.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Indeed TR, picking a decent weather window is a definite advantage, hope the run home wasn't too windy.  I do remember pre-Garmin days running races with a good old fashioned stopwatch!

More encouraging progress Jools.

OO.. we filled in as much as we could of the PLF forms for out & back to Spain today.  I do keep re-reading the travel instructions to make sure we don't overlook anything.

Nice session Toro, I presume that's funk music you referred too? :)

2 x 4m today, very mild temps but changing on Sat/Sun apparently.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools -  i looked at a 45 but bought a 245 in the end, loads of capability i dont use though. Just used elapsed time at vlm.

5m home yday, 5m inc a few strides back again today, so that's my mini taper started. Legs are a bit achey from all the s and c but thats become a priority at the mo.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. are the weather gods in your favour on Sunday?  Looks chilly & a bit windy here.

I'm double racing this weekend, Parkrun tomorrow then I've entered my home town 10m race on Sunday - I'll probably do a chunk of that at MP rather than racing it all flat out. The finish is about 100 meters from my house so it won't take me too long to retreat back to the warmth post race.
    5.5m this morning, t- shirt & shorts again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Wardi - nice one on the 10miler. Northerly wind, so chilly too i guess, depends how windy it does get as to how much it affects the race. Will have to employ the pugometer for sure.......the local weather forecast on TV said just now that there will be cooler temps in "blustery" northerly winds  on Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    2m inc a few strides done. Looks like being a cold and windy morning tomorrow, should be a good rust buster anyway. OO should have better weather.
  • 1 hour in the gym this morning.  30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the cross-trainer.  Today's TV: men's 10,000m from Doha.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a good hour of exercise crammed in Jools.  There's always the old Tom & Jerry cartoons if you run out of athletic viewing 🙂

TR.. Best of luck at Gosport, the gloves are definitely coming out here!

Ditto OO, enjoy your run in the sun tomorrow and the celebratory beers afterwards.

A brisk Parkrun but kept the handbrake on a bit, 22.14 so about 30 secs slower than usual.  
    Just sorting my kit out for the 10 miler, 2 layers required I reckon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well i had a crap day and tailed off to 1.24 on a windy day at Gosport, some of the underperformance was me being crap (although ive had a bit of a cold), some was the wind. My mood was then further improved by my wife telling me that the friend she was with Friday has tested positive, so as a household we have to run the cv gauntlet again, we are 1 wk away from booster jabs too. Ill be less than happy if she has brought it home again.
  • Don't be so hard on yourself, TR.  I always struggle with the first few cold days, and the wind was noticeable today here in Brizzle, so must have been much stronger on the coast.  Hope OO has had a good race!

14 miles early doors for me, and then a 2 hour chamber music rehearsal.  On Tuesday evening Mr. Jools and I are performing in a concert together for the first time.  It's only taken us 5 years...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I hear on the grapevine that OO was ahead of expectations so I will eagerly await the race report.

TR.. you don't seem to have much luck with covid avoidance, hope you get the all clear.  Re. the race, just bank the miles as a brisk run.  The wind was a nuisance today - shame as the sun was out.

Jools.. good early MLR.. and congrats on the household concert pairing.

The 10m race went ok.  Into the wind for most of the first 5m so kept it steady around 7.50-7.55 pace.  Wound it up once I had wind assistance and was close to Parkrun pace in the last 2 miles and passed quite a few.  Just over 77 mins at the end, 4m added on as a cool down. 
    Indian treat and a beer or three to follow later.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for the good wishes and unlucky today TR.

2.52.44 and celebrated with a swim in the ocean. Very happy with the race and time averaging 6.32 a mile. Through halfway in 1.25 with the 2nd half 1.27, my garmin measured the course as 26.46.  From 4m a solo run with the rarity of not being overtaken and overtaking 20+ others.

Unsurprisingly warm, say 24C  but a bit of a breeze  some shade and lots of water stations so ot didn't feel oppressive. Fuller report to follow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done jools, getting back there. Hope the concert goes well

Wardi - sounds like a strong run, enjoy the beer.

OO - well done, strong running, good to pick others off too, backing up Newport nicely.

Chest was aching this afternoon, so probably a bit under par, will revitalise with a few frothies later. The mara's are the target races, so shrug today off and move on.

Well done again OO, i will blow the froth off one later in your honour.
  • Fantastic result, OO, especially in warm conditions!  I hope the sea swim was pleasant, and that you enjoy your VERY well deserved celebrations.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo OO, that's a fantastic run on a warm day.  The ocean dip must have been very refreshing!    I too will raise a glass to you shortly.🍺

My Garmin says 66m this week with a Parkrun/10m on consecutive days.  One more big week to go.
  • CC - Good couple of wins there, well done.
    TR - Decent half. You'll know you're capable of a bit more but you've put in a solid performance all the same.
    OO - Top running once again in some heat as well. Enjoy the post race recovery.
    Wardi - That's a big week! Building up nicely.
    Jools - Running is looking good. Congrats on the music ensemble as well.

Nice week in Scotland but no running. A bit of walking and a couple of rounds of golf where I'd get some minor pain in the knee so with sensible hat on I'm not ready to run. The plan had been to get my second massage this morning and then try to return to running towards the end of this week. However, i've had my first real close shave with Covid as the massage therapist rang this morning to say he'd tested positive this morning. I was a 7am appointment so the first of the day. So that feels like a bit of a let off. I've written off the half pre xmas anyway; I can transfer to another event in the new year.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR - Good run, always hard to get motivated to run round Gosport!
    OO - Brilliant run in the warm. Quite blustery and cool out here.
    Jools - Playing together will be great I'm sure.
    Joe - Nice rest. 

I've been ticking along but really focused on my exam. I have even said I'm happy to gain 5Kg if I can do enough to pass. It's that important! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Speaking of covid I got my booster injection today - one of the benefits of being old.  No side effects at all, infact I can't even detect where it went in!

Joe.. best to keep a lid on it if you can feel it when walking.  Shame the treatment has come to a halt, hope you haven't caught anything.

Toro.. when's the exam?  Good luck with it anyway.

The 1st lady at our 10m race yesterday was none other than Aly Dixon.  Her chip time was an agonising 60:01. :/

5.3m recovery run today.  After yesterday's 15-16mph winds it was more like 5-6mph today, sod's law I suppose.  Gorgeous sunny & clear day too.

• Aly Dixon?  There's running royalty for you, Wardi!  I've never met her, but she always seems nice and down to earth in her interviews and things.

7 miles for me this morning.  Seriously ploddy, especially given I had a rest day yesterday.  I have a very slightly sense of muzzy head and tickly nose, which I'm hoping is nothing/will go away.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Gran Canaria Maspalomas Marathon - 21st November - 2.52.55 / 36th place

I've run the GC marathon held in Las Palmas 3 times and we head to Maspalomas post-race for the beach / the craic. So the idea of a Maspalomas marathon in winter with mid 20's C temps was irresistable.  

The flight arrived at 5.45 pm and an hour later had our race numbers thanks to speedy passport/ CV19 checks/ taxi driver.  A walk to the hotel, risotto for light carbo loading, a few very cold beers and a decent 6 hours sleep. Race-day was warm and dry, and @ 8 am were with 1,000+ marathon runners.  The race hosted the Spanish masters marathon champs so hopefully company for the race. Not too many Brits but had a nice chat with 2 fast-looking race snakes guys from Scotland aiming for 2.45 ish.  The sun was up and c22C. 

Tres, dos, uno and we were off.  The plan was to run, as I did at Newport marathon, an easy 1st mile then 6.30 ish pace and expect to slower in the 2nd lap as the temps rose, so 1.26/1.29 split and 2.55 would be great. Took 4 gels to take on 60/90/120 and 150 minutes.

Mile 1 came in @ 6.40 and I tagged onto a pack until mile 4 @ 6.20 but felt should let them go as plenty fast enough and a long way to go and carried on @ 6.30 (best decision of the race!).  The course was largely urban on the wider resort roads, a good number of switchbacks, with some crowd and very enthuastic water stations (generally manned by running clubs) who were fantastic.  

From Mile 4 ran solo which was fine but would have preferred running in a pack. Just focussed on pacing and keeping cool so ran in any shade under the palm trees, doused myself at the water stations, took in the sights and thought of all the family holidays we have had here - positive thinking.  

13 miles / half way came in @ 1.25 and felt good.  Some runners ahead of me were drifting back now and started overtaking and some just dropped out including the 2 Scots lads who found it far too hot for them.  The temps were now 25C but there was a slight breeze and pace dropped to 6.35 but I felt good and started overtaking the odd runner. Out of 1,000+ starters, there was a 40% DNF - the temps.   

20 miles came up in 2.09 so mental maths said this pace would squeek a 2.52 so this was the focus and just aimed at being in the moment and overtaking the runner in front,  which really worked as from mile 15 overtook c20 runners and no-one overtook me.  At mile 20 saw the 3 hour pacer who had c15 guys with him at mile 13 now with 1 companion. From mile 20-25 overtook a few more runners, counting down the miles (we are British and can't cope with this km stuff) with mile 25 coming as a massive relief. 

From here you run to the finish, along the dry river bed at Maspalomas and sped up as the crowds thickened into the 300 metre or so funnel to the finishing line on the beach. Felt really good towards the finish and started waving to the receptive crowd (we all love an audience)- and this my best bit of the race was shown by Canarian TV who covered the race (and recorded by my wife).  

So 2.52.55 and Strava tells me the course was 26.49 miles so though my Newport time was quicker, my pace @ 6.31 mm the same.  So that's 15 consecutive sub 3's now which started with the race after Gran Canaria in Jan 2017 (3:00:13) with Madeira in January next.  

Then a wonderful swim in the warm sea, a cold beer, to the marathon-post race area for paella and some good chats with other finishers, hotel for a snooze and then out into the colourful world of Maspalomas for more beers and supper. Got back to the UK late last night and easy through passport and CV control.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Joe - close shave indeed. The friend the spo was with friday has been pretty rough already, so was probably infectious friday, hoping she has enough antibodies left from last time (plus 2 jabs).
    OO - cracking run that, very strong esp so close to newport. Made me smile re the scottissh lads, it might have defrosted them.

5m yday, 5m today, legs were a bit creaky.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    OO.. don't think I've ever seen a Scotsman with a suntan!  Sounds like you ran a sensible race, great position and well deserved post race celebrations.

TR.. a couple of good recovery days there, how are the legs now?  The booster jab has perhaps affected me - I haven't felt ill but a bit fatigued/tired legs most of the day (first time I've had the Moderna).  I did manage a 4m + 7.3m double without any adverse effects. 

Jools.. 3 of my club's faster runners ran sub 60 at the 10m race.  Apart from winning the team prize they were equally ecstatic at not getting chicked by a GB international runner. :D