Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. sounds like a strange entry system at Manchester but at least you know you're in now.

TR.. that's a good double, commuting runs?  Kind temps here again.

4.3m + 7.5m today, 2nd run out with the club.
  • Well... I've decided to call a halt to racing, or trying to get fit for racing, for the indefinite future.  I'm just a bit too sick of getting stuck in a cycle of trying to get fit, getting injured or ill, and then losing fitness, and then re-starting.  Apart from May 2020-May 2021, most of the last 5 years have been that cycle, and trying to get race fit exacerbates it, as I focus on the arbitrary timeline of when the race is rather than what my body's timeline is.  So I'm going to become a fun runner: someone who runs for fun.  I'll still be on the thread, to see how you're all getting on, but if you don't see a bunch of posts from me about training and racing, that's why!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Joolska - That's such a frustrating cycle and your way forward of running and just enjoying it for what it is a very positive way forward. I was in the place you are in now for a few years around 2012 when a sore knee massively restricted training / racing after being for a few years out with stress fractures.  Keep on exercising and the cycle will resolve itself. Good luck and glad you are staying around, your contributions are always thoughtful.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play Jools, lifting the pressure is a good idea. No mileage, session, gfa type pressure and she how you go. All the best, hopefully you'll be back sometime i had to stop for 6 months in 2016.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools..I know a few runners who have quit racing (apart from the odd Parkrun or off road romp), their reasons are quite varied.  In your case I'm not surprised the regular breakdowns have finally got to you.  Take your time and come back if & when you're ready.  I do fondly remember your breakthrough PB in London on that sunny day in 2007, grinning like a Cheshire cat at the finish you were. :)

10.2m around the racecourse earlier, very exposed there so wanted to take advantage of a lovely sunny day.  Back to a t-shirt & shorts again.
  • Sounds like a sound plan Jools. We will miss you, but hopefully you'll be back stronger when your body decides to cooperate. 

See in you in Manchester OO!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The UK marathons seem like a sensible choice the way things are going! :/

2 x 4m, yet another bright & sunny day.
  • Catching up on a lot here as haven't been here for a while.

Jools - Sorry to hear that but given it's not an easy decision I'm sure it's the right one for you. I can sympathise.
    OO - Good news on the Manchester entry. Looked like a great event this year, probably only going to improve.
    TR - You've had another big year with some decent results, not surprised if the enthusiasm wanes a little now and then. I think you keep it more than most of us.
    CC2 - Good result nonetheless. The times are pretty crazy there. I'd love to run that next year given it isn't a million miles away. I don't think the impact of being back in the office should be underestimated if it upsets the routine.
    Jooligan - Well done on the 10k. Good to see you do some of the speedier stuff.
    SJ - Sorry to hear that you haven't managed to make a recovery just yet but it's good that you are making the effort to solve the problem. Hopefully you can get some results soon and get back out there.

Since my last post I still haven't managed to see the physio as he's very cautious (understandably) and as I had a cold I didn't want to pass it on. I have had another massage session but i'm not wholly convinced it's helping.  I've tried two walk / runs but the knee does not feel right. I know that rest alone won't help and I haven't done much in the way of strength and conditioning but I'm starting from a place where clearly my IT band is very tight or one of my other muscles just isn't working properly. So i'm not confident i'll be making any real return to running soon.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Life is starting to settle down.

Good running at Telford CC2 - My sister ran 39:low but really struggled in the second half. 
    OO - sounds like you have it all planned out, fingers crossed.
    Jools - I have felt similar at times. I ended up doing the Dragon's Back! 

Morning all, it's been a whirlwind week. Big emotional homecoming. Did the Park run at Southsea in perfect conditions in 19:19 which I'm delighted with. Would have been happy with 19:46-20:00 given current fatness. Then yesterday said goodbye to my local loop and set a 3 sec PB on a hill segment (1.05km 4.2%) which again puts me close to my March times. The strange thing about that is my max HR is now 10 BPM higher! Anyway house move on Monday and then Pompey life.
  • Been a while apologies. Been happily reading along in the background. 

SJ - sorry to hear about the foot issues but good news re; the scan, hope the physio gives some clarity.

CD - good to see you, sorry I didn't know about the ribs, hope you're holding up ok!

CC2 - great run at Telford - the standard there is unbelievable!

Joolska - read your most recent blog, sounds like the right move for now, find what makes you happiest and go with that.

Toro - great running and good luck with the move.

After an average 2021, I've started to get back into and really enjoy my running again. Was out of action for a while post London (not surprising after the lack of training), but since then been logging a consistent 60+ miles a week for a couple of months.

Fitness test on Sunday at the Dorney Lake 10km - PB in 34:58, which I was rather happy with, including going through halfway in 17:20 which is also my fastest 5km since 2017.

Full report here for anyone who fancies a read

Building towards Seville in Feb (hopefully see you there CD), and then all being well Boston (US) in April. Will try and check in more regularly. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back on here and in the running groove JoeB, congrats on that shiny PB.  Great to see your OH running well too. :)

Toro.. welcome back to fair old Blighty, a decent return to Parkrun too.  Best of luck with the house move.

RunJoe.. ITB niggles can be a right pig to shift, hope you can make some progress eventually.

A chilly but sunny 5m this morning.  Parkrun plus a few miles planned for tomorrow.  Mist & fog forecast with 2mph winds!
  • Yes hopefully see you there Joe.  that's a decently nifty 10k.

Jools, I do sympathise - I think I'm in a similar position and at the end of the day we're all fun runners really.  Do as much or as little as you fancy.

I tried my first run today for 3 weeks and I did manage 5 ploddy miles but there was nagging pain from the off, which didn't get worse but it was bad enough to tell me I'm out for a bit longer.  Plus I saw a consultant about my back last week, who took an x-ray (yes, a weight-bearing one SJ!) and concluded that basically my hips are degenerating, which is having a knock-on effect on my back.  Cumulatively running will just accelerate the degeneration, so 60 mile weeks for long periods of marathon training isn't a good idea.  But he said I shouldn't stop completely, just rein it back, do more cycling etc.  So when I do get back it'll be more along Jools' lines - go out when I want, do enough to get round the odd marathon (Seville is still on!) but forget getting back to <2:40.  Which to be honest is fine with me, 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Wardi - we'll all be running round motor circuits in the spring.

Runjoe - thats a shame. Get on the itb exercises and see what it does for the knee.

Toro - i saw you were back. Might see you around soon then.

Well run Joe, that bodes well for Seville, fastest ever 10k going into a marathon blog, especially given the miles in the preceding few days. Well fone to katie too, thats a big pb, he will hopefully go well at Seville too.

10m weds but had to sack off an attempted 10% section and jog it in as i had a pf/sciatica type wealness again. Got on the S and C and exercisesand 8m home last night was much better, did the 10m inc 10% section this morning. The bumcake/hammy/quad doms from the s and c was more of an issue than the usual niggles, so im taking that as a positive.

Few frothies later than a longish womble tomorrow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the frothies TR, I'm out for a pub Xmas dinner tonight so hopefully tomorrow's miles will restore calorific balance.  

Hope you manage to find a decent balance of exercise CD, Seville should be good motivation.
  • edited December 2021
    I'm so out of touch with things I didn't even notice London GFA entries opening and closing last month.  So no London for me next year.  

I thought they normally email you but nothing
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds good.

CD - on no, that was a bit schoolboy. Be aware that you need a gfa by August for 2023 london, seville should do nicely.

Was a bit lurgified again this morning so played the long run by ear, but improved as the run went on so did the full 18m, although legs were a bit dead and i was operating on fumes by the end.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. given how keen London are on qualifying periods plus reducing it to one year down from the old 2 years - I was amazed when they closed GFA for 2022 on the day of London 2021 in October.  So you can't qualify for GFA in the full year leading up to the race!

TR.. nice work slogging out that 18 miler, sounds like you need a good feed!

Good conditions for the Parkrun today (A bit misty but the reward was 3mph winds which are almost unheard of on the racecourse!).  Had a reasonable run in 21:44.  One of the ladies I train with brought her young son along with his fast mates - despite 3 of them finishing comfortably under 16 minutes there was no mug of tea waiting for us at the finish, pah, the youth of today.  :)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    A foggy morning here in Brizzle (in fact the fog hasn't lifted all day - I can barely see past the next street from my window!), but a lovely 9 mile bimble nonetheless.  I still suck at running downhill off-road but it no longer matters :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yes, i probably didnt eat enough friday........is there post match tea at parkrun?

Jools - was very still and misty here too

Turbo intervals for me.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Annual club 12m undulating club run around the outskirts of Wetherby today, approx 50% on/off road - the latter sections were very muddy in parts.  Great views can often be had on this run but not today - the fog and murk were also present here. 59m for the week.

TR.. there is a tea/coffee vendor at our Parkrun or we have the option of taking a flask! 

Jools.. sounds like an enjoyable run, and if you managed to stay upright off road that is all that matters. 
  • I did Gedling parkrun on Saturday, which is the highest point for miles around. Lovely views. Couldn't see a thing! But there was no wind, which is rare up there. It's a hilly course but I took 58 seconds off my previous best, coming in 1st lady in 19.48. There was an 11 year old ahead of me who I swear wasn't even out of breath. 

Got my booster last night. If you'd asked me at 5.30am I'd have declared I was having a day off sick to stay in bed, but by 8am I was feeling more human and work is pretty quiet so I figured I'd survive. Actually I'm just a bit tired now. My arm is a bit sore, but not horrendous. Such a relief after the first two jabs floored me.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Well done Toro and Speedy, cracking PRs.
    Sub 35 is some going Joe, love the way you leave it all out there. 
    Sorry to hear that RunJoe.  Hope the situation improves.
    Good bimbling Jools.
    Sorry to hear of that diagnosis CD, but great you still intend to run marathons. 
    Nice mileage Wardi and that's a decent PR.
    Well done for getting that 18m done TR, solid.

Did 57+km of activity for my 57th birthday on Thursday (16m run, 22m bike, 5m dog walk) and thought time to run a bit faster so ran a solo 10k in 39.35 on Saturday but let the side down yesterday by over-frothying.  Paying the price today.  
  • I take it back. I am now dying and my arm is killing me :(

That's good going OO. I suspect you feel much as I do, only I didn't do the fun bit. Everything hurts and I want to sleep. Right now. Sadly I have another hour and 25 mins of work. Luckily it's very quiet today!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. I wasn't too bad for a few hours after the booster.  By night time my arm ached and the next morning my legs felt like they had just run 20 miles.  By the next morning I was almost back to normal so it does seem short lived thankfully.  Congrats on the Parkrun victory.

OO.. nice sub 40 time trial!  No sympathy for the over indulgence though.  ;)

At some point over the weekend I seem to have tweaked my left upper hamstring.  I had to cut my run short this morning as it was grumbling.  A few days on the bench is called for, must try and be sensible and rest it.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Figured I'd stick my head in and say hi.
    I've not read back over more than this page so I hope everybody is keeping well.
    JoeB - I saw that result on FB. Cracking time and good to see you back at it.
    Toro - nice parkrunning. Good luck with the move.
    I've come close to making the same choice as Jools on several occasions this year as it has been a bit of a rough one (parental situation back home where I wasn't able to visit before August, and probably won't be able to, in time, again the way restrictions look like they're moving), but ultimately don't appear to be as brave or sensible as Jools is as I've narrowly come down on wanting to carry on.
    Ultimately, to reference Rocky, there's still some stuff in the basement I need to get out, and over the last fortnight I've been able to begin to wrap my head around various things and come to the conclusion that though the likelihood is I won't be able to even get near to where I was I at least want to try.
    It's not going to be a guts or glory approach but rather an attempt to calmly get back to fitness whilst continuing to undo some of the more horrendous lifestyle choices I've made across the year. If it works out it works out, if not I can live with knowing that I've given it a go. I'll try post and keep up with things a bit more often too if I can.
    I hope you all have a great Christmas and a happy new year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice bday there OO  ydays frothies sound good too.

Wardi - a few days off this week is well timed.

TT - ive thought before that you could do with a no pressure running block, but i guess its the targets that motivate you.

11m home tonight.
  • That's a very active celebration, OO!  Not sure I'll do 43km (the next birthday I have...)

Well done on the parkrun, Speedy

Nice to hear from you, TT.  Best of luck with your return to fitness

6 miles bimbled yesterday morning.  Headtorch job even starting not long before 7.30am
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. I do find the lack of daylight at this time of year leaves me yearning for the spring.

TT.. good to see you popping in again, good luck with your comeback effort.

OO.. belated happy birthday!

It is a bit frustrating being benched but felt better for a 10k walk as I fancied some fresh air.  Cold but still.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, plenty of running in the dark this time of year, at least i get to run in daylight on a saturday.

5 + 8 today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Must have been minus a good few degrees in the lanes this morning, legs didnt like it. 10m as 5 easy and 5~mp+10%.