Sub 3

Comments

• Unlucky Wardi , what's the issue?
    TT - Good luck with the comeback. 
    A bit nippy TR. Thankfully a bit warmer here but not much. So gloves and a running jacket with tee shirt and run my regular run along the river at lunchtime to Padstow, which was teaming with people.  10m all pretty easy @ 8 minute pace. 

Fingers hovering on entering the Exeter marathon in May. Only an hour down the road, interesting course and certainly fills a gap. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Top end of hamstring OO,  I do have a hand held mini ultrasound device which has calmed it down after 2 sessions a day.  Another 6m walk today in approx 0 degrees but nice to be out in the air.

'You couldn't make it up' news .. after deferring my Malaga trip to Barca in April Barca have just announced that they are now moving the race to May!  That's £40 down the drain.  
  • Hope the hammie feels better soon, Wardi.

It was a good bit warmer here today than yesterday, but the frost had been replaced by wind and rain.  Quite glad I could opt to just do a 4 mile plod, and then home for nice warming breakfast!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO -exeter is always a landmark on the trip to your area as its about 1/2 way. Mid May ? So 6 weeks after manc?

Wardi - back by a month is bizarre.

Wet run here today too jools

11m run home tonight
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ditto the weather here Jools, 5-9 degrees today.  Went for a soggy walk this morning and as I couldn't feel my hamstring decided on a fitness test run this evening.  5k on the treadie so I could hop off at any sign of strain.  No pain or discomfort at all so considering I was limping on Monday's run that's decent progress.  As a precaution I will keep the runs short for now though.
    I do want to run the Xmas day parkrun at York as the sight of 600-800 runners charging round in festive costume is quite a sight to see.
    This was the scene on Xmas day 2019, a delightful vista as the sun broke through the mist.  Looking at the forecast for this Xmas day I don't think we are going to get a repeat!

• Wardi - tough luck on the hammie but good to hear you're improving. Bad luck with Barca.
    OO - a belated happy birthday and nice birthday treat to yourself. I could potentially be tempted by the Exeter marathon as a bit of fun but I'll see how things go first. Does it usually fill up quickly?
    TR - nice training as always.

I've run every day this week (which in itself is huge progress for me). All easy, but 3 of them were ~1hr. Should be 45-50m for the week.
    My boy turns 16 today. He is (aside from the 'stuff in the basement') my other reason to decide to try to regain some fitness as he shows some promise (2nd by a whisker at the start of Nov in a local 3km in 9:39 (possibly a touch short)) and interest in taking it up properly and I'd like to do a few races with him. He joins my club today so he can do xc next month where he'll probably take great delight in beating me!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    TR - Yes, Exeter is 6 weeks after Manchester and in answer to TT question, it's a slow filler. Often when friends from London come and stay, I say keep on going to Exeter but they always stop in Bristol and call to say half way there (sometimes they might have another 6 hours on the car awaiting them)!
    Wardi - Great photo, hope you manage it. Pain in the arse about Barcelona. I am avoiding overseas marathons until the summer as too unpredictable. 
    TT - Good progress, yes got to beat the nippers. 

Inadvertently benched as gardening yesterday and bashed my ribs on a ladder, bloody painful. But could do with a few days off as my body is getting a few niggles. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good news, youll be able to run tomorrow now then.

TT - hope your lad takes to it.

OO - ouch for the ribs. Ive sat in a few trafgic queues going West for sure. If Yeovil mara comes back in June then I'll do that, i like the simplicity of that one. I have a deferred North Dorset place 3 wks after Brighton but my body wouldnt be up for that so soon.

10m commute today, 5 easy 5 ~10% as per Weds, my niggles are easing and im startimg to feel a bit fitter. 15 wks til Brighton, so 3 weeks of building and then 10 decent weeks for a 2 wk taper.

Thats me done until Boxing day.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT..  keep him keen!!  There's a young lad been training with our club since age 14.  His 5k times have progressed from sub 20 to sub 19, sub 18 and PB is now 17.24 (he's just turned 18).  The faster he has got the more interested he has become - even with a hint of OCD in the mix!

OO.. oof, rib pain isn't nice, a bummer when it's not a running injury too.  Re. Barca.. if I can travel on the original date I'll just take the Mrs for a pleasant weekend.  I won't run in May as Barca could potentially be pretty hot by then.

TR.. nice 10 miler today, enjoy your Xmas festivities.  If we had an untimely power cut tomorrow I am aware that our local Indian takeaway is open on Christmas day.  :)

A gentle 5m today, all seems well so good to go tomorrow.
    Have a great Xmas everyone.🎄
  • Evening all. Merry whatever you celebrate. I found out yesterday that my Telford run qualified me for the England V40 team for the Great Bristol 10k next September. I hope I can do it justice. When I qualified for the V35 team the race was only two weeks after London Marathon and I absolutely had not recovered!
  • Sending seasonal best wishes to you all, 

Having skimmed back a little I note some talk of taking a step back from chasing the times. No bad thing to have a reset. I ran a marathon in 3:11 just to see if I still had the fire. It worked and got me back going again for another two straight years until this years breakdown. Run easy, enjoy the fresh air. See where you land. I'll be doing exactly this if I ever get going again. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Festive greetings to you too SJ and I hope you get back on the road in early 2022.

CC2.. congrats on the qualification, September seems a long time away!

Xmas day Parkrun was a cold & raw affair though a glamorous & colourful occasion as always.  I can always feel any strains, niggles etc in low temps so I just ran as briskly as my hamstring would allow without doing any damage, ended up pacing one of the club fillies to 23 mins.  Got out today in the gloom for a 6.3m calorie burner.  The Indian takeaway may come to the rescue tonight as I can't face Xmas food 2 days running!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - you certainly deserve a better running yr than 2021, i hope you get it.

Wardi - thats a bit quick to be back on the curry.

Zero Christmas Day, 10m yday, turbo intervals today (10min wu, 20x2m30s/30s, 5min wd).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    It was lovely TR!  The chap at my takeaway said they always do a roaring trade on Boxing day as folks want a complete change from the previous day's Xmas fare. 

9m today, grey & misty but nice temps for running.  Despite last week's enforced injury lay off I still have a fighting chance of reaching 3000 miles by Friday.  
  • SJ - Good to hear from you and as TR said you must be due a cracking running year.

Wardi - Spotted on Strava some runners running marathons to get to there end if year targets, struck me as a bit extreme.

For me, suspected broken ribs on the right side, the 2 lower one's. Running much too painful, the recovery is 6 weeks! So 2 days of cycling (45 miles) which has been fun though absolutely poured it down today. On the positive side  gives me a chance to clear up some niggles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i could defo eat Christmas dinner 2 days in a row.

Ouch, to the ribs OO. I reckon  broke some ribs when the sharp end of someone elses surfboard hit me in the surf at Harlyn Bay a few years ago. Could pedal, and possivly swim, but couldnt run for a few weeks.

18 wet and windy miles today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. epic outing, always seems more prospect of a wind bashing on the coast.
    BTW I did return to Xmas leftovers last night. 😏

OO.. bad luck with the non running injury.  I had badly bruised ribs a few years ago after a heavy fall on ice (walking for a bus!).   The Doc gave me tramadol which took enough of the discomfort away to allow a bit of running.  Sleeping in the most comfy position was tricky as I remember.  Healing is indeed a bit of a slow burner.

4.3m + 7.5m today, nudging towards the target.
  • I'm with Wardi: curry is perfect for Boxing Day before going back to Xmas Day leftovers on the 27th.  Mr Jools made a lovely aubergine and lentil curry which we had with some nice pickles and chutneys.

I've kept the basic fitness ticking over with runs most days of between 5 and 10 miles.  A soggy but mild 7 miles today.  Booster tomorrow, and hopefully no nasty after effects...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good effort doubling up this week.

Jools - that curry sounds good. I had the initial feeling crap the day after the booster, but then a few headaches and feeling wrong for another wk or so.

Wet and windy 12m today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice MLR, similar damp run this morning but much winder this afternoon.

Jools.. sounds like a nice recipe!  FWIW my washed out feeling from the booster only lasted a day so not too intrusive.

8.5m today, that leaves me with a minimum of 15m to do in 2 days.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Every day is a wet and windy day here Wardi

12 more wet and windy miles. I need 11m for 300 for December and 1m for 3300 for the year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..  I thought it was Lancs where it rained every day. ;)  Nice work doing 12m+ on consecutive days, decent monthly/yearly totals coming up too.

14 degrees this morning so t-shirt & shorts out again.  10.4m done which brings me to the brink of the 3000m target. I have had to cram the miles in a bit after my recent niggle/lay off and my legs did feel tired at the end today after 40m in 4 days.  A 4-5m trot tomorrow will do it.
    We are having a few chums round for New Year's dinner tomorrow so I can see another good excuse for champagne being popped. 
  • Dry and windy here in Nottingham. And unseasonably warm, even when running into the wind. I regretted my clothing choices today! 
  • OO - sounds painful. I've bruised ribs on the barriers at rock concerts back in my youth but don't think I've ever broken any. Hope the recovery goes well and the niggles can be worked on as a double whammy. 

Some lovely sounding grub being mentioned by Wardi and Jools. That aubergine and lentil curry in particular sounded yummy. Our spice collection grew exponentially this year as my son embraced the heat from the east. We do love a curry. Going to our local tonight as it happens.

Nice yearly/monthly totals being declared too guys. Superb consistency TR. Keep on keeping on. 

A few indoor cycles at this end and one 5k jog this week on the treadie. I feel overweight and lacking motivation mostly but it is what it is. No news on the MRI as yet but the health service have enough on their plate. I did waiver a little last week and almost booked a private scan but talked myself out of it again. 

Manchester does have a well deserved rep for it always raining. It does seem to and can be quite depressing for what seems like weeks on end of dark grey skies and that Manchester 'fine rain that soaks you right through' as Peter Kay quite rightly observed. However, it apparently has less precipitation than Rome on an annual basis. 

Have a peaceful new year thread and I look forward to rejoining you for another year in 2022. Onwards and upwards. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - The curry sounds good, the spo is more cpo than spo nowadays, esp as ive lost my eldest lad who was my main curry allie.

SJ - i hope you get back to it properly in 2021. I was out in some Manchester style rain this morning then.

18m this morning (another wet and windy affair), put in a good block of Brighton base with 18, 12, 12, 18 in the last 4 days. 3317m for the year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..  that's a decent chunk of endurance running, true grit as you seem to have run most of it in grotty conditions.  Great effort getting over 3300m too.  BTW the curry option may return tomorrow or Sunday, can't think of anyone amongst family & friends who doesn't like them.

SJ.. wishing you a much improved 2022!  Good to see you are doing what exercise you can.

CC2.. 14 degrees so t-shirt & shorts here again today.  Legs pretty tired so kept it to a pleasant 5m which rounded my yearly total up to 3001 miles.  Job done so will look forward to a few beers and some nice tucker & wine later.
    Happy New Year to all.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year, all.

No running for me yesterday as I had my booster on the 30th.  The fever, aches and chills kicked in yesterday, but I woke up feeling a lot better today after 3 doses of paracetamol and a lengthy lie-in.  I'll rest again today (although I'm usually a fan of starting the year as I mean to go on), and aim to bimble tomorrow.  If the weather stays as pleasant as it looks at the moment I'll go for a walk later just to stretch the legs out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice one on the 3001, you certainly put the miles in. Hope the booze up was good.

Jools - sounds like you're over the worse of the side effects.

Turbo day here (seeing as yday was long run day - both a day early).
  • NYD parkrun for me today (followed by 6 x 3mins off 90 secs). A total of 10 miles for the morning and 18.47 is a parkrun PB, if not a 5k PB. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good Parkrun speed CC2 and congrats on the PB.

Jools.. must be a relief to be over the worst, enjoy the run tomorrow.

Cheers TR, I did slurp an extra glass of bubbly to celebrate the annumiles.  Legs were very tired yesterday but felt much revived today so got out in the warmth for another 5m.  Certainly cleared the head!