Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - good double there.

Wardi - the feed up obviously did your muscles good

Underpowered and weary 12m today.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A gentle 5 mile bimble this morning: glad it was this morning when the sunrise was beautiful and there was only the lightest drizzle, as it's now teeming it down with rain.  Urgh!

Take it easy, TR.  You've put a lot of miles in those legs over the holiday period.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Similar here Jools, lovely sunny morning if a bit breezy.  Chucking it down by 2pm.

TR.. sounds like you did well to grind out 12m!  Probably an accumulation of tiredness after your recent block of big miles.  An easy day or two should revive the legs.

10.2m with a 5m club handicap in the middle.  Hamstring still a bit tight so paced a couple of clubmates round at circa 7:30 pace rather than risking flat out.  Av.7:26 in the end.   60m for the week so Indian fayre back on the menu.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles here this morning.  Still pretty mild.  And that'll be the last daylight morning run on a weekday for some time to come - I'd better check the headtorch is charged up nicely!  And explain to the cat that her morning lap service will be severely curtailed on weekdays for the foreseeable...

Hope you enjoyed your curry, Wardi.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hopefully that hammy is on the mend now. Ive been taking some magnesium for the last few weeks as its supposed to help pf/sciatic nerve type issues.

Jools- yep, back to running in the dark tomorrow. Headtorch is ready.

Breezy 10m today, 4 easy, 6 ~10% pace.
  • Sharp running Speedy and nice one on the parkrun pb. What a way to kick off 2022.

Snap on the Jan 1st 5 miler Wardi (8km in my book but close enough). Wise decision on holding back on the club handicap then if the hamstring is still grumbling a little. Heart and lungs still got a workout. 

Nice to see you bounce back from the weary mlr with today's effort TR

I haven't missed running the dark I have to admit Jools. I'm sure kitty won't go in a sulk or anything. Its not like cats have a reputation for stabbing their owners in the back :smile:

2 runs last week. Which felt ok. The new years day 8km seemed to go ok. Turbo on other days with a test day or two.

Just ran 25 mins on the treadie which was ok. I'm reluctant to say the ankle feels much improved but it doesn't seem to stiffen up as much. If I flex it to flexion or dorsiflexion I can feel it is still sore when it hits the limits of my range. Single leg calf raises seem a little easier too. Maybe some green shoots however my back is grumbling from the turbo. I might reduce the time spent doing that. Anything over an hour seems too much for me. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    From little acorns SJ, hope you continue to make steady progress.  I reckon my hammy is healed but I can feel it pulling a bit if I run at a brisk pace.

TR.. nice 10m there, windy up here today too.

Jools.. had an Achari dish last night, one of my favourites.  Not massively hot but very flavoursome with mixed pickle ingredients.

Steady 5.2m today, 9 degrees though it's forecast to be -1 in the morning!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good news on a little bit of progress. 60min is enough on the turbo, i would recommend you do something like 10min wu, 5 min wd and around 45min of intervals. I do reps from between 90sec to 4 or 5 min with 30sec easy recovery. More interesting and will help your fitness.

Wardi - sounds yummy
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Happy 2022.

That's real progress SJ, hopefully you've turned the corner now with your ankle problem.  Pleased for you. 

Good too to see you out and about Jools.

That's a great annual running miles total TR, you are the model of consistency and doggedness.  

Wardi - Good you are managing the hamstring well.

Musing on 2021, logged 2350 miles which was reasonable considering nearly 2 months out with injuries and Covid.  Pleased I was able to run 2 decent marathons and probably knowing I was running well at mile 24 of the Newport marathon and on for a good 2.51 time was my best running moment though also felt ecstatic when run 35.58 on a solo 10k for London prep, whose DNS is probably my biggest miss of 2021.

Regular cycling but no running so keeping a level of fitness and enjoying just being out and about and outside.  My ribs are starting to improve as far less painful so progress and looking to start training for the Manchester marathon in 3 weeks time, which will give a 9 week training block. As I was missing marathon running have booked another run in the sun,  Palma Mallorca in October when hopefully life with Covid will be much easier.
  • Happy new year all!

I'm back to some running of sorts. It has been typically 2 runs a week of around 5km but I ran 5 miles on the treadmill today. It's all hard work. 8 min miles felt hard today although it is hot running indoors. Knee is a little sore this evening. I suspect i'll be continually icing it and stretching everything I can for some time but I don't feel like I can avoid exercising for much longer as I'm putting on weight.

SJ - Good to see you running a little again. Sorry that you've been struggling for so long. Hope 2022 is your year!
    Jools - best to make the most of the light, and the warmth, whilst we can.
    Wardi - good week Wardi and good news on the hamstring. Boo to the impending chill.
    TR - Fantastic year's running in terms of consistency and some of the results. Hope you can succeed for another year.
    OO - Great if you can see some positives because that sounds painful. Hopefully you are back in 2 weeks.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you, OO, and glad the ribs are gradually getting there.  Likewise those green shoots sound promising, SJ: just make sure you nurture them carefully!

3 miles for me this morning.  I did intend to do a bit more, but it was blimming miserable out there (freezing cold rain and breezy): really, what is the point in being a fun runner if I can't cut those kind of plods short?!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    OO.. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist your traditional Spanish Island marathon!  Ribs on the mend must be a relief, hope you can get back to running soon. 

Joe.. good that you can do a bit of exercise, hope you can increase it gradually.

Sunny this morning but bliddy cold.  I dibbed out of the club run tonight due to 0-1 degree temps & 18mph winds - that sort of thing turns my hands blue :o   Banged out 10k on the treadie listening to some 80's & 90's pop instead.
    Re. my Barca trip.. I thought I had a simple tourist weekend to look forward to after the marathon date was moved.  However it seems they have moved their high grade half marathon from Feb to April 3rd when I am there so something to race at least.  This all assumes we can get into Spain come the time of course! 

Jools.. much sympathy, the weather you described doesn't sound very inviting.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - you had a strong finish to the year esp after CV. Good news that the ribs are easing.

Joe - hopefully you'll be back at it better this year too.

Jools - with no targets id be sacking off all the cold and dark runs, so fair play to you on the 3m.

Wardi - ood  news on the 1/2

Dark and cold 11m home tonight.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I definitely should have rested yesterday and run today: it's a gorgeous morning, so I went for a walk before starting work so that I at least got to enjoy the sunshine and get some fresh air!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..  I remember those cold commute runs from my working days so well, nice work on the 11m.
    Cold but pleasantly sunny here today.  The temps got up to a heady 3-4 degrees this morning so decided on the outdoors & set off with a couple of layers & gloves on.  My favourite Sustrans cycle path was eerily quiet so I logged a lonely but enjoyable 13.3m out & back.  I could swear that in these temps I can sometimes feel every niggle I've ever had :#
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Was icy today though jools

Good point re the niggles in the cold wardi

The lanes are too wet after all the recent rain to run them when the temperatures have dropped, so shorter routes today but did add a bit onto the 2nd run, so 5m and 8m for the day. Going to be parky tomorrow morning ! 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    HNY all!
    OO - good to know Exeter is a slow filler; I'll keep it in mind as a possibility. Ouch with the ribs!! I've dislocated a couple before which was painful enough, but thankfully never broken any.
    Wardi - nice progress from your clubmate. I tend to split the difference on Christmas food and knock up a leftover curry. Nice training as always.
    sj - fingers crossed you can get back to it in the not too distant future. You've had a tough run of luck.
    TR - you really are a model of consistency. Continued great training.
    Jools - it sounds like you're really enjoying your running at the moment!

Running went out the window here after my last post as I ended up on house covid nurse duties. Luckily, somehow, I managed to not catch it myself, but unfortunately it meant Christmas was a bit of a bust (though small cheese to have everybody recovered ok obviously). Getting back to doing a bit this week but am training to feel and not following any plans (unless you can call 'go to track on Wednesdays and try to build up to a 2hr long run' a plan).
    Took Jr to his first track session last night and he was instantly hooked. For me I ran 2 x 800, 1 x 1600, 2 x 800 at what is probably about current 5km pace. Quicker than intended, and less volume but good fun.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TT - Good to hear from you and the reaction of TT JR. Sorry to see that CV has afflicted your household. 

Cat amongst the pigeons, as my mate is keen again on the Madeira marathon on 23 Jan, now the travel restrictions have eased (we still have flights and places). I am pretty tempted too.  On the one hand, a slightly bonkers decision as got cracked ribs and wouldn't have run for a month before the race start on the other, my ribs are healing, cycling is keeping me active, I was in good shape anyways, its a marathon in the sun, I don't need to run a sub 3 marathon (though that will be the aim) and logistics work. Going to see how the next week goes before making a final call. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TT - good covid avoidance by you, hope everyone is back to full health soon. Goid for yr lad.

OO - if you can put a couple of weeks running in its possible, i wouldnt do it with no running, i wouldnt be able to walk agsin for weeks afterwards.

5m in stupid temps with frost and ice everywhere this morning, 6m home in wind and rain this evening. Bit of a weather beating of a day.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT... sounds like you were a good covid nurse!  One of my mates tested positive but didn't feel poorly at all.  Hope you can  get back into a running routine.

OO.. an interesting dilemma, I suppose you could always go for a holiday and decide to run if you feel up to it & confident enough.

TR.. bad luck on the weather bashing, bliddy cold here today.

4.5m + 4m today.  Very cold & raw this morning though no ice to deal with.  Grateful for long sleeves x 2, gloves & beanie hat.  2nd run on the treadie as the weather went downhill with rain & wind.

• Wardi/ TR - Brrrr, character building runs. The TM sounds a good idea.  
    40k on the indoor bike for me. 

Its a run in the sun I crave; your right trying to run a fast marathon with no running for a month is not going to end well is it. 

In other news, yesterday had an email for a priority place in my bucket list OCC race in France in August, to see on the booking pages my qualifying points for the race has vanished and I was not allowed to register. A few frantic emails and points are now reinstated, so have just successfully entered the OCC race. 
  • Yesterday I had a very short window of time in which I could squeeze a run. There was also a short window of time when it snowed heavily. The two coincided. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Even im finding the weather tedious now wardi, a cold 6m this morning and a very cold and wet ride home just now. We'll see how much of tomorrow's 18m i get done in the pissing rain forecast for the morning.

OO - ha ha, id like to run in the sun too. Good news on yr race acceptance.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. good news on the OCC place after a bit of drama.  That's a decent ride done indoors, not quite the same as a run in the sun though. 🌞

TR.. I must be getting more intolerant of cold weather in old age, I never seem to run well in it either.  Similarly wet here tomorrow though the heavy stuff is not due 'til afternoon.

5.2 chilly & breezy miles today.  I'm heading to Parkrun tomorrow for my 200th, it's only taken me 9 years to get there.  Sadly no t-shirt, you have to get to 250 for that!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - did you make the milestone?

A cold, wet and windy 18m done, it rained every step of the way, wetter than an otters pocket !
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A cold, wet and windy 7 miles here.  Hope you made the 200th, Wardi.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    True grit this morning Jools & hope you were well wrapped up for that runTR.

Very similar here.. cold wet & squally so not terribly inviting and not the best Parkrun anniversary weather (it was also York's 10th anniversary).  There was black ice on the tarmac from 500m-1k & 3.5-4k on the 2nd lap.  For safety we had to deviate onto the grass infield for this section - this was just as slippery!  Not anticipating this my chosen shoes had no grip at all so I was merely grateful to stay upright this morning.  Anyway 200 on the board, 9m altogether with miles added on.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That sounds a bit nerve-wracking, Wardi.  Congratulations on not breaking anything!

A beautiful morning here today, and very much enjoyed my 10 miler.  Legs felt a bit tired as I've started doing a bit more cross-training again, with a focus on plyometric stuff: if Covid restrictions permit Mr J and I are supposed to be going cross-country skiing in a few months' time, so I need the calves to be nice and strong for that.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TR - If I were injured, I wouid bitterly say  would have loved to run 18m in the cold driving run, but as I am now off the bench have to say that sounds mighty grim, so well battled out.
    Wardi - Congratulations on the 200 PR though that one looks hazardous.  I've only run the one which saw the female PR WR set.
    Jools - Nice sounding 10 miles.

Off the bench, with a 3m yesterday and a 5m bimble on a soft grassy field today. Feel soo much better and just about noticed the ribs. So an easy week of running ahead, yay   :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 200th and staying upright wardi

Jools - that sounds a good fitness plan, hope you get to use it within the cross country ski trip.

OO - goos to see you're back to some running. I did tell myself yday that folks like you and SJ would like to be able to run long in the rain. I thought about swapping yday and today round, but told myself to suck it up. I didnt expect to get so cold and wet though.

Obviously it was nice running weather today as it was turbo day. 10k benchmark next sunday.