Sub 3

Comments

• Well done on the 200 Wardi. I just checked and I'm on 168. I don't do them so often now I have a coach, so that 250 T Shirt is a long, long way off!

XC County Champs yesterday in disgusting weather. The worst of it was during the men's race though, so I shouldn't complain too much. I was 3rd, behind the Potter Twins. I managed to hang on to Jane for the first two laps, but she was clearly just biding her time and sped off into the distance on lap 3. We're all over 40 so we got two medals each, one for 'senior' and one for V35-44. They run the Notts and Derbyshire champs together in one race so I was actually 4th in the whole race. At least the Derbyshire girl who was ahead of me had the decency to be a youngster (she's probably early 30s though). What on earth does it say about XC running in Nottinghamshire, when the first three over the line are all over the age of 40? Then 16 miles today in much nicer weather. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great racing & position CC2, I guess the competiton might have taken your mind off the weather a bit.  Conditions sounded rough everywhere yesterday.

Jools.. yes much nicer here today as the rain & wind had abated overnight, glad you enjoyed the 10 miler.

OO.. good to see you're off the bench & doing a few miles.  That's not a bad recovery time for cracked ribs.

TR..  hope you've thawed out from yesterday!

The Parkrun was quite an adventure in some respects and I didn't hear of any fallers.  I guess we all feel slightly proud of ourselves if we've run in poor conditions - and worthy of some sort of treat!
    Legs a bit tired today so ran an enjoyable 7.5m in chilly but pleasant conditions, 55m this week.  A lot of cyclists out today.
    Brass Monkey next Sunday and a reunion with Charlie W as he's travelling North for it.  Due to covid etc the usual grandstand HQ at the racecourse is off limits to runners this year so it looks like we will have to keep warm in our cars pre-race!
  • Wardi - I am assuming they're cracked, could be just bruised, I thought the NHS had better things to worry about over Christmas than some muppet wanting an x-ray as he had dropped a ladder. The BM is something to look forward to. 

My race at the UTMB in the summer will now also be the scene for the family holiday so we are all heading off to the Chamonix Valley now so just booked up a chalet with a swimming pool before all the accommodation gets snapped up. Have been there is the summer a few times, really special. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - lots of cyclists and sea swimmers out today. Took the doggy to the seafront and there were lots ot sea swimmers (without wetsuits), its more popular than it used to be.

OO - you did the right thing, the NHS cant do anything for bruised or cracked ribs. Good they are on the mend. Does that make your mara in a few weeks a go-er?
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    OO - interesting decision to make. Do they have the option of a HM? Congrats on the OCC place. And on the de-benching.
    Wardi - congrats on the 200th! I done my first back in 2009 (Basingstoke, or NHTT as it was known at the time), and am still only on 19.
    TR - good work toughing out an 18.
    61m for the week just gone. 1 track session and a 6m steady as my quicker running for the week. Longest run of 10m. Aim is to stay ahead of last year's average (just over 2,000m/~39mpw - only half of my peak, but almost 900m more than 2020 so a win in my book), and work from there.
  • Speedy - Forgot to say many congratulations for the XC race and the 3rd placed medal and 4th overall, that's really something special. Well done. 
    TT - Cheers. Really good mileage, it will be great to see your training continue to uptick and get to a decent level, then see you fly in your races from there.   

Unlikely I will do Madeira as my mate is no longer keen.  Also will rock the boat on the domestic front especially as hatching a few plans to go away for other races and a long-weekend in the French Alps training.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I've done 162 Parkruns at my local at York, plus quite a few visits to nearby Heslington.  Others close by.. Wetherby, Selby.  Also Rising Sun (Newcastle), Rother Valley (Sheffield), Exeter, Fountains Abbey (Ripon) - possibly the prettiest. Worcester Pitchcroft, Monsal Trail (Bakewell) and Gdynia in Poland.
    I'm amazed at the number of events some have done given the 9am start!

TT.. that's a good week of miles, must be encouraging to be back in the groove again.

OO.. the French hols will be something to look forward to, let's hope travel arrangements get better/easier along the way.

5.2m today, a touch warmer than recent days - and dry!  A couple of lower mileage days do seem to have refreshed my legs.  I'll try not to do too much approaching the half on Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Regular 61s would be good TT

Wardi - sounds good with BM this weekend coming, is LMH running?

OO - good idea to swerve Madeira then.

Slow 12m home tonight, achey legs after ydays S and C.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lots of jumping and planking in last night's S&C session and then 6 miles this morning followed by me headbutting our (metal) postbox as I lifted up the recycling bins to bring them back in.  My, doesn't a small-ish superficial cut on your scalp bleed a lot?
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Hey all, HNY and all that. Hope you had a good Christmas. I'm just getting back into routine. Got back from deployment, moved house (to own (bank's) place). Did the Cannock Chase Fell Race at the weekend 26km 500m climb - 2:16 32/106 which I'm delighted with given lack of training. The fact I kept going at pace for 2hrs was great news. Still got DOMs now so work to do. Won't be too impressive at Stubby this weekend even with Alphafly on! 
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Wow 200 parkruns Wardi - impressive - almost at the Green Vest!

TR - see you there? Goal time? I think I may get close to 40min.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Ouch jools, did you need stitches?

Toro - good to see you. Ill be there, no idea re current shape, 38ish? Im training through except for Saturday when ill do 5m instead of a long run, so cant see sunday being quick.

10 + 6 today. Had a bit of groin aggro yday and today, feels like a weakness caused by nerve issues bit like the hammy/bum cake episodes, probably lower back/pf nerve stuff. Back on the spiky ball and exercises with a bit more intent.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bad luck on the head collision Jools, hope it heals well.  My last similar incident was ducking under a tree and clouting an unseen low hanging branch.

TR.. Great double today, shame about the nerve/muscle discomfort.  Hope your self treatment keeps it at bay.

Toro.. congrats on the house move and well done in the fell race.  Have a good run at Stubbington.

Another low key day to let a couple of minor niggles settle, a sunny 6.3m done. Will try an MLR tomorrow as my last double digit run before Sunday.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    No stitches, just 10 minutes of holding gauze on my head to stop the bleeding, whilst Mr. Jools kindly wiped the blood off my face!  It's a tiny bit sore to touch, but no serious damage done, apart from my pride...

A lovely 6 miles this morning, all incident free (!).  There must have been a temperature inversion in the Avon Gorge, so it was full of fog, but above the top of the gorge, which was fog free, there was a glorious pinky-red sunrise.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you had a Doctor in the house Jools.  :)  FWIW our council replaced all the small recycling tubs with full size wheelie bins - every house has four of them!  All very well if you have somewhere to put them all.
    Sounds like a pretty run, nice conditions up here too.

I headed for the racecourse today as it always looks very picturesque on a sunny day.  14.3m done in light winds and a blue sky, I even took the gloves off a couple of times.  That's my last chunky run before Sunday, conditions look good ATM.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lucky escape then jools, i remember one of my lads having a head cut superglued at A and E when he was young.

Sounds good wardi, wasnt that warm here

6 and 7, still getting nerve wibbles. Starting to put the 10k at risk.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Ouch Jools. Good to read no major damage. 
    TR - hopefully the nerve issue clears up before Sunday. Good luck at Stubby.
    You too Toro. And well done on the fell race. 
    Wardi - nice MLR and good luck for BM.

Track again last night. Upped last week's total effort volume of 4.8k to 6.6k - 3k, 2k, 1600m. All at 5m-10k effort and felt a little more natural than last week. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the track TT, any races planned in the near future?

TR.. any improvement in the nerve niggles?

I'm doing a mini taper before the half so a steady 5.4m today.  Lovely day again, almost tempted to run further!
  • TT - Looking good and good week for you last. My mate has entered the Exeter marathon, my hand keeps hovering over the entry button. 
    Toro - Well done on the fell race, with the weather we had that is suitably hard core. Must have been fun an adventure.
    Wardi - Exciting to have the first race of the year to look forward to, should be decent conditions. 
    Jools - Ouch.
    TR - You are getting a lot of those issues, take it easy. If you do the 10k have an easier week after.

A cracking 7.5m on moonlight Bodmin Moor last night for me, nothing but me, the moor, the silence and the bite in the air. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I hope the nerve issues are resolving, TR.

OO: that sounds lovely.

S&C last night and a rest day today, so just my bog-standard gentle core/glute/hip stuff which has to be done pretty much daily to keep me ticking over.  Beautiful morning, though, although a bit icy when I popped to the postbox to belatedly send my Xmas thank you notes!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one TT

Id have gone further Wardi esp as you can get out in the daytime

OO - i turn my headtorch off and run round the lanes in the moonlight (when there's no cars about). When is Exeter?

I like the S and C commitment

I did 8 and 5 yday, groin cut short the morning run but was ok in the evening. Treacherous out today but did 8m inc some strides on a gravel path and it was ok. Think its improving.  I probably have some sort of low back issue pinching things, might have flared it up doing heavyish weights sunday. Im ok for 5m and then need to be ready to cut it short.  Dont think id attempt a long run this weekend, might can off the 10k and get on the turbo instead, we'll see. I do have a theory that the odd 10k blast helps right a few wrongs in my body as it mskes it work properly, i did it with my hip before vlm, i spend too much time toddling along at times.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TR - Another 13m & 8m banked.  I think regular 10ks as part of a marathon training schedule are key for speed endurance, but whether it puts bodily wrongs to rights, I am slightly sceptical.  Dodging the 10k might be an idea or don't go full beans.  Exeter is May 15th. 
    Off for an 8m later, should be a decent afternoon. 
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for fell race comments, it was glorious, legs almost recovered - going out for an easy run soon. 

Swam 2k this AM will ride for an hour tomorrow.

Wardi - Good luck at the half. 

Jools - glad you're better. I smashed my head into a fire hydrant at work a couple of months ago and can confirm - lots of blood!

TT - great track work.

OO - Solid miles. 

TR - good luck with body holding together. I definitely should be behind you unless I want a painful second half - even in cheat shoes!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - a weekly 10k tempo is probably  a good thing, i just mean the odd race.

Toro - good your legs are recoverimg ? Where are you swimming, at work?

I'll do some local short loops tomorrow and see how i feel, not having to commute means i can stay on the flat which might help. 12 weeks til Brighton and the plan was to start a proper build up, so the 10k will probably get binned off as too risky.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. Bodmin Moor sounds very eerie but a great experience.

TR.. best of luck with the test runs.

Toro.. enjoy the ride, I can't cycle at this time of year - my hands turn blue!

Another clear sunny day here, legs are gradually feeling less fatigued so kept it down to 5m with a few strides this morning.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles with some strides this morning - the closest I currently get to speedwork!  (I'm just conscious that only jogging/plodding isn't great for your form, so figure I need to keep a tiny bit of faster stuff in there, even if only every 10-14 days)

Glad the legs are recovering, Wardi.

Hope the test run is ok, TR, but can see that you might well end up binning the 10k even if it is: as you say, eyes on the bigger picture!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A steady 4.2m this morning as a last shakeout before the half.  I sometimes trundle round a Parkrun the day before a half marathon but the local courses were icy & foggy today (one cancelled) so I passed on that option.
    Conditions look better tomorrow, 6-8 degrees & 9mph winds.   
  • Good luck for the BM Wardi. 
    Good luck to you too/ two TR + Toro for the 10k race.

Just a cycle today after 12m in the gorgeous winter sunshine yesterday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Jools - good idea,  defo do too much plodding, itsgood for your body to make it work properly by running fast, which is what i.meant by blasting a 10k now and then.

Wardi - sounds like top racing weather. Keep an eye out for LMH?

OO - 12m is good progress

I did some easy miles on the flat, its defo improving but not right, no idea if i could run 10k pace, so im not going to try. Brighton training starts Monday and with Sunday being turbo day, i dont run again until monday evening, which will do me  good.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR... sorry to hear you're not able to run Stubbington but sounds like the sensible option.
    I don't think LMH entered the BM due to her covid vaccination commitments.  I have been in touch with CharlieW though and he is good to go.

OO.. nice 12m done, yes cracking running weather this week.  B)