Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. when I did my 1st London ('94) I'm sure it was somewhere else for number collection (no chips back then!) but can't remember where.
    Hope you come out of this strange sequence of dodgy health.

OO.. nice treble, not something I've done much over the years, decent climbing too.  Good strategy to try those gels before using them in the main event.  SIS gels do seem popular amongst runners & triathletes though.

11.5m today, very pleasant running around a sun drenched racecourse.  The recently closed Sustrans section along that route has now re-opened.  It is now like a billiard table after it's previous lumpy/bumpy state with trip hazards a-plenty.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Wardi - nice to be out in the sun. It apparantly was high 20s when i was running yday, happy ro be out in the warmth after a winters beating from the weather.

Replacement gadget came, just had to add a new device to garmin connect. Sent the duff one back, which should get my deposit returned.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    You've been very lucky with the weather so well done on a very nice sounding 11.5m run around the racecourse Wardi. It was raining and 12C here so a wet and soggy 8.5m and another 1000' run, now upto #2300 place on the Strava chart with 6,200m logged.  
    TR - That doesn't sounds too great, hope your back to your normal self asap.

I wasn't able to get a GFA for London 2022 but will add my name into the ballot for our clubs place, be nice to run it again though I have an entry for Majorca the following week, so good it it comes off never mind if it doesn't.  In other news, booked for Seville marathon in Feb 2023, the downside being the direct RyanAir flight from Bristol has ceased so having to travel to Gatwick for the flights to Seville, best part of 5 hrs from Cornwall!. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. from what I've heard Seville is a cracking marathon, good choice!  Re.travel,  could you get a flight to Malaga and get the train to Seville from there?  When I ran Valencia I did similar, flew to Alicante and got the train from there.  All seemed to go smoothly at the time.

TR..  good news on the Garmin replacement.

5.5m + 4m double today, cloudy & cool this morning but the sun & heat had broken through by the afternoon.  Just chilling out with a beer now.🍺
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Yes, looking forward to it, fast and fast and Seville is a very attractive city. I did look at that option but flights to Malaga weren't great and the train is a further 2 hrs+. As there is currently 3 of us going, could be more, driving to Gatwick seems the easier option or looks to be. 

A double here too 6 + 7.5 including a 41 minutes 10k TT on pretty wooden legs. But need to restart running a regular 10K in training to keep the pace there. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Gatwick is a pain in the proverbial, even from Bristol.  My heart sinks if that is the only option for a flight!

I've reintroduced some gentle hills this week, and with my first runs over 6 miles the new Garmin is now very excited about 10K 'pbs'.  It's only out by 14 minutes  :D
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Jools.. I have the same feelings about Manchester airport up here, I avoid it if at all possible!  The recent news about passengers queuing out into the car park didn't surprise me at all.  Good to see your runs progressing.

OO.. nice double.  Sounds like you have weighed up all the options re. Seville.  Not as many flights in Feb I would guess.

A single run of 5.3m this morning, pleasantly cool conditions.  York races this weekend so my usual Parkrun is off, might make the trip to Selby which is on a barren airfield on the outskirts of town.  Some of the rough potholed track has been tarmacked since I was last there which should make it slightly faster.  It is also classed as one of the flattest in the country!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    OO - good to get some more maras on the fixture list

Jools - my replacement gadget got very excited first run, with its fastet mile, 5k, 10k and longest run.

Wardi - fancy there being horse racing on the race course, what a cheek!

Had an awful 10m home thursday, more lightheaded and very achey legged running. Which is becoming a concern (although ive been getting lightheaded at other times too). So i only did 4m yday, 2m today, eaten well, hydrated well, taken some decongestants (ive had sinus issues before), could just be a CV thing, but to be fair i never got to have a post Brighton break and might just need to ease right off for a couple of weeks, not the best place to be 1 wk before Kempton.........anyway rolled over Bognor 2020 10k tomorrow, i plan to do my 1 week out 13m with 6m approx mp effort, but do is as 3m, 10k, 4m and see what happens ligtheaded wise, then decide what to do re kempton. Hopefully a couple of real light weeks will see me right.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.  low blood pressure a possibility?  Hope you get to the cause of it eventually.
    Re. York races.. ha! yes indeed.  I'm not the only park runner there who sees the races on the TV and thinks 'what are those equines doing on our Parkrun course'. :)

My upper hamstring/glute was grumbling a bit this morning so I kept the handbrake on a bit for a controlled 22.29.  6m Inc w/u and w/d but skipped a planned afternoon run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - wise to be wise......yes low blood pressure is a posdible......i said to someone the other day "how do i raise my blood pressure if its low?"......he said "be less fit and eat more rubbish food".
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bognor 10k, on a warm and (rare still morning) with 10.30 start. My plan today was 3m, 10k, 4m. Hit the 10k hard and see what happened after quite a bit of lightheadedness this week, including when running. Ideally id liked to thave gone a minute quicker than last wks 38.38, was telling myself it was all fine and i ran a strong 4m (6.01, 6.02, 6.01, 6.02) but then felt a bit woozy, couldnt shut it down mentally and eased off with a 6.10, 6.14 (which cost me 3 places) before rallying in the extras for 38.00, 27th out of 1300plus........so i didnt collapse, or croak it, but feel a bit of a soft cock now, as i could have gone 37.30something,......anyway main thing is whilst im not right, i cant be far away from it. Aim to ease off for a couple of weeks, get on top of nutrition, fluids etc not sure if its low blood pressure, post CV type issues, fuelling or whatever, but Kempton is a DNS, Brighton taught me not to turn up to a mara compromised, i cant run a marathon without the confidence to go hard safely........decent race, well organised, loads of support on the prom, helps when its a nice day.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Super run TR especially as not feeling 100% and with the light headedness persisting. Sounds like you are there or thereabouts on a god day. A good weather day too... a rarity for you indeed. Understandable decision re Kempton. 

Par performance for me today at Great Manchester 10k in 38.12. A good platform to push on from with Chester mara being the goal at the end of the summer. Nice breeze gave way to a really warm spell between 6-8k. Fairly even all the way so about all I had in the tank/legs. A platform to build on. 

3 pints of Cheshire Cat with work colleagues post race as today was a charity run. 

Got quite starstruck saying hello to Aussie legends Stewey McSwayne and Jack Rayner at the finish line... they seemed slightly surprised a pom recognised them from the Inside podcast TR ! 

Also said hello to Lord Dids. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Isn't Lord Dids a bigger celebrity than those Aussie legends though SJ? 🙂  Good result for you today, nicely run.  I thought it was a bit warm/humid today 

TR.. that's a decent improvement on your previous 10k, good position too.  Shame about Kempton but I always reckoned that all our ducks had to be in a row on marathon day.

After a 5m test run this morning my niggle from yesterday is slightly uncomfortable but nothing serious.  Rather than push the distance or double up I decided to get on the bike this afternoon as it was warm & dry.  25m done around the country lanes.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    SJ - nice one, great to see, you've come a long way after all that bench time......id recognise Stewy, was surprised he ran yday and then today. He's been struggling with long CV......does Dids still have his quiff?.......no booze here yet, will blow the froth off a few later, been off it a bit more than usual recently, probably the root of my issues.....was warm here too, folks were on the beach as we puffed along the prom.

Wardi - sounds like you'll be good to go in a few days. Top biking weather.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I've had a look at official results and Stewy doesn't appear so he didn't run today. He had his number on so as you say still getting over covid and didn't fancy it?

Dids has more hair than me that's for sure. 

Haha yes Wardi the celebs, big and small, were out in force. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A 7 mile 'long run' yesterday (including another 10k 'pb', natch) and then a 5.5 hour orchestra rehearsal - it's important to do upper body work, after all, and if holding a violin and bow up for most of that doesn't count, then I'm shafted.

Well done yesterday, TR, but glad to hear that you are now going to take it easy.  I know GPs are over-stretched but it might be worth trying to get a general MOT appointment and have bloods taken and basics like blood pressure checked.  If you finally start to feel better before the appointment comes around you can always cancel it: someone else will want it!

A nice return to 10k racing for you as well, SJ.  I'd have been starstruck to see McSweyn, too - although I'd probably have got a crick in my neck, as he looks very tall on the telly!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Super racing TR, 38 dead, and could have been quicker I'd happily take that.  A real confidence giver.

That's a cracking time and good progress from the Manchester marathon too SJ.  Isn't the 10k, Europes largest?   Ha ha you spotted the podcasters.  A great start to the Chester campaign/ aim. 

Nice 7m from you Joolska, and 5.5 with a violin ouch!  Hope your Garmin was suitably impressed. 

That's a decent bike ride Wardi, hope the niggle clears-up. 

In the beer stakes, our local has as a great range of local IPA's, so had 4 halfs yesterday lunchtime (Padstow IPA, Skinners Cornish Knocker, Harbour Brewery Arctic Fox & Sharps Atlantic IPA)  probably sums me up really but all fantastic.

To beer off a 69 miles week and 7,500' of ascent, the best run being a 11m run along the coastal path on a warm and sunny Saturday from Padstow to Harlyn Bay and back, testing out a different backpack for my August ultra. Glorious run. Restarted my regular 10k TT and first one in @ 41.30 which was fine as had run a 6m earlier that day. Still around #2700th place on this Strava challenge, though intriguing the number of people on there running hilly 20m everyday!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. excellent x-training via the violin session.  Good to see your miles creeping up too.

OO.. you should be old enough to know not to mix your drinks 😉  That 11m run sounds very picturesque, very worthy of a thirst quencher.

One of my local Parkruns (York Univ) had 3 runners under 15.30 last weekend, no celebrities or running royalty though.

Given my slight niggle and leg weariness I've opted for an easier low mileage week which was probably due.  5.4m today, the hammy is much improved, I can just feel it but no pain or discomfort.  I'll just tick over as I feel for a few days.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Jools - nice to read more progress and PBs still being registered by the watch... which watch do you have out of interest? I'm potentially thinking of a new device as the old fenix3 is a big thing to have strapped to your wrist. Impressive endurance training with the orchestra too. Yes Stewy seems freakishly tall in real life despite only being 6'2" apparently. I'm sure the runners physique makes him look even taller than that. Speaking of which, I finally figured out what happened to him on Sunday; speaking with some club mates tonight who finished a minute ahead of me, turns out Stewy jogged in as they finished alongside him. Makes sense now why I stumbled into him at the finish line. Fair play to him for finishing. Not sure he strictly had to and I'm sure running a 37.xx 10k wasn't in his plans. Having watched the B'ham diamond league on iplayer he really seems to be struggling. Hope he gets back to it soon. 

OO - continued impressive elevation training. Those 10k time trials you did last campaign were impressive as you made good progress in them. A good marker as you say especially as a second run. Not sure of other races but I think there was 15,000 taking part on Sunday. I hadn't done it for a number of years so feared it might be a nightmare logistically but I had no issue getting to the front of the first wave and it didn't feel that busy so it's well organised from that pov.

Wardi - impressive parkrun results there. Some real quality showing up on saturday mornings. Sounds a wise decision to tick over this week and allow the hammy to settle. 

8 x 700m on grass tonight at the club. Nice evening for it. Session was 10 reps but I'm trying to be sensible and listen to my body more. 8 was enough and I would say maybe 7/10 for effort with Sundays race in my legs. 

I'm being pressured to buy a pair of next% as I'm selected to run a leg of the Welsh castles relay in a couple of weeks time. Apparently I'll be letting the club down as everyone will be wearing them. Not happy. I'm practically the last man standing at the club!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - it crossed my mind, but difficult to tell a GP that i had to ease off a bit from 6mm aged 55 as i didnt feel 100%......but im off next week so its a possible......i was a bit lurgified again yday, so im back to thinking its post CV or sinus issues.

SJ - i watched the Manchester footage last night, shocking dancing by Robertson, Gabby Logan wouldn't let it lie. Jack Rayner looks every bit the Aussie in a chopper Read style. Stewy has a glute injury as well as long CV. I feel in good company. Tell your club mates to do one,  or find someone else. Whilst my Next% are soft and comfy, im convinced i dont run quicker in them, but they allowed me to run a 90sec neg split at vlm. Tell them you're happy to be sponsored.

Minimal commute distances, pineapples, pink grapefruit, sinus flushing........legs feel good though. Who'd have thought that racing 2 weekends in a row toughens your legs up a bit. Probably my missing ingredient, as im an infrequent racer. Food for thought through to London mara.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 miles with some strides this morning.  Having had lovely sunshine for yesterday's 7 miles, today it is grey, drizzly and breezy.

SJ: I just have a Garmin 45S.  I'm very low tech (I'd have preferred no HRM rather than a pointless wrist-based one), but have got used to knowing how far I've run.  Oh, and when you're 5'2", 6'2" does seem very tall, trust me!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    10k this morning, sunny but windy.  The rain arrived here around noon so just escaped a damp ending. 
    I'm hanging on to a 2-3 yr old Garmin 230.  Does what I need so not itching to change yet.  I think it is now on it's 3rd wrist strap!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Got a bit breezy again here too.

Eldest has tested positive for CV, so its still out there.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Wise move, dodging Kempton as your not feeling 100% and CV is about,  not a recipe for a good day out and running a fast marathon. 
    SJ - Races do feel much easier from the front, thankfully.  The Nike Next% do make you faster, but so far in my 4 marathon outings in them, I have had nasty blisters on my right foot heel and/ or sole eachtime whereas in my previous 15 or so fast marathons over the few years, no problems.  I will buy a different make\brand next time.

GPS - Garmin 25!  Does everything I need - pace, elevation and time.

Close to Everesting for May, 8,484 metres now climbed and 364 metres to go, and repeat for June/ July.  Need the 10K TT to make sure there is still some pace in the legs as all this climbing deadens the legs/ pace. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Top ascending there OO, is the air thin yet?  :)

TR.. I hope your lad only has a mild dose.  I found covid more of an inconvenience than an illness when I had it.

5.3m this morning, not sure where summer has gone?  Brisk winds and frequent squally showers.  Too warm for a rain jacket so I did discover that my gilet isn't waterproof!  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    OO - i wouldnt try run a slow mara at the mo let alone a quick one. Hopefully the head will clear soon. Might have to get on the hot currry. Two more months of everesting !

Wardi - hopefully he shrugs it off soon. He has been down OOs neck of the woods on his surfboard, but probably picked it up at the pub.

CV is defo still out there, i was on the Waterloo train and the canary wharf tube in ruch hour last wèek and it was rammed on both, so not surprised its still out there.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Rest today, strong winds yet again were enough to persuade me!  My niggle has calmed down a lot so will run Parkrun to feel, winds look much lighter tomorrow.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Is that second time around with CV for your son?  Hope he's ok and the rest of you emerge unscathed.  A hot curry always a good option.

2 hour trail run yesterday in the sunshine, glorious and finally "Everested" so on 9,000m now and might bat on for 10,000m for May.  It was kinda in the back of my mind but I have a mountain marathon in 4 weeks time, so time to start long-running tomorrow, so 12m with some running club mates and then another 8m on my own. Then off to the beach and maybe the first sea swim of the year.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. re Covid - the mask thing has all but gone up here now.  I'd say only 10% were wearing them last time I was in Tesco.  Is it similar down your way?
    OO.. that sounds like a pleasant run in the sun, good time on feet.  Hope you get similar weather for the long effort today.
    I'm benching myself for a while, I felt ok in the warm up yesterday but if I try to run at speed the hammy/glute doesn't like it.  After the Parkrun I did get out for 18m on the bike Saturday PM and that feels ok so at least I have a cross training alternative.  Long walks should be ok too.  My next major event (the 24hr Endure at Bramham Park) is 5 weeks away so hopefully I can sort myself out in time for that.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    How did your long run go OO?

Wardi - hopefully the rest will help. My glute/hammy has either improved a bit due to the recent drills or lack of turbo due to a couple of sunday 10ks, will know tomorrow.......that london trip at rush hour proved to me that folks are back to more like normal.

Easy and short commutes only last week, went a bit further yday, feels like ive got blocked sinuses which might be part of my troubles, but towards the end of todays turbo my chest ached like it did after CV, so maybe thats what scuppered Brighton.