Sub 3

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    OO - congrats on climbing Everest. You must be feeling pretty strong if a little tired I guess. Nice that you will have a target to use some of the recent conditioning in 5 weeks' time. I've decided to not buy into the super shoe's just yet. Price more than anything as even with spring discounts, I can still get two pairs of trainers for the price of one pair of race day only shoes! 

Joolska/OO - I would love a no nonsense watch that is super basic, gps, timer, distance, laps. I have no need for steps, VO2Max calculations, fatigue status, sleep monitoring etc etc. There must be a market for such a simple design. 

Wardi - sorry to read you're niggles have caused, hopefully a short stay, on the bench. I am minded to get my bike serviced as I have felt like getting outside on it recently. Good that you can get some cardio in on your bike. 

TR - sorry to read your son has covid. Hope he is coping ok with it. The younger folks seem to be bouncing back from it relatively quickly. Some colleagues are going down with it but they tend to be the folks who returned to the office and are partaking in the social side of things a bit more. Hope the sinus stuff settles down. Was the chest ache from deep breathing caused by the effort you were exerting on the bike? 

Easy week for me... 38 miles total with a 10 miler today being the only double digit run. I have a sore shin from all the recent faster running  I reckon. So some stretching and foam rolling trying to unload a tight calf. It isn't happy. 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Wardi - Good decision taking a break to clear up the hamstring/ glute issue.  Endure24 looks a great event to take part in, will look out for one of these for next year. Will you be part of a team, doing so many hours each?  Biking a great alternative. 

SJ - 38 is a good week nonetheless and hope the slight cutback sorts out the niggles.  Thanks, yes a bit tired but looking forward to seeing the gains in a few months time. Though pleased I've clocked up 10,000 metres of elevation, some are on 40,000-50,000 for the month!  You can still buy the Garmin 25 on Ebay - £20!

TR - The long run went well thanks.  18m in 2.35 with 1600' of ascent, so c9,700 m for May.  Rest day today so will try and get over 10,000 m tomorrow. Ran with 3 clubmates, all guys 55+ who all entered marathons on 15th May. We had 2 DNS due to injuries and one DNF as due to blisters choose the half marathon option en-route so hope you don't feel too bad about missing Sundays marathon, which was the total right call.

So, 73 miles for the week, first 70m+ for 2 months and aim is to stay at this level now for the next 2 months with a weekly hilly 3 hr-3hr+ long-run!.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - fair do's re the shoes. Crab ran 2.50 at Brighton non carbon on a breezy and lumpy course. My lad is ok, as you say he is young......i do intervals on turbo due to the boredom, but they were steady 4mins yday rather than pushing it. So probably an effort thing, we'll see what happens next time.

OO - good long run then. Those 3hr hilly runs will be good prep. As you say its getting tough to make start lines as M55. Ive moved on from kempton, next target is Goodwood 1/2 in 5 wks, last year i did 1.22.0X, so have a reference. It'll give me a fitness indicators, with 13wks to then build to london.

Still on reduced mileage here, probably do it until i feel back to normal. So  just 6m easy today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. hope your shin calms down with a bit of easy running.

OO.. Nice 18 miler and good mileage for the week, you're brewing up nicely for the big events.  Endure.. I'm with a team from the club so will probably end up doing 5 x 5m laps in the 24hrs, more if anyone drops out!

TR.. sensible approach with the easier mileage.  Hope you are back to full fitness soon.

After a busy day dismantling a set of fitted wardrobes (that didn't want to be unfitted 🤔) I finally got out for 20m on the bike.  A bit on the chilly side for my liking (I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist!) but enjoyed the ride and a bit of fresh air.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good crosstraining dismating furniture wardi, i bet you ache today. Goodbiking weather at the mo.

Upped it a bit today effort wise with 7m inc 4 x (3min, 2min, 1min). No lightheadedness, hopefully the sinuses are clearing. Just a tight chest in the later reps, hopefully that'll improve soonish. Back to short and easy tomorrow. All these short runs dont take much time.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world, TR.  I must admit I don't miss having to find 90-120 minutes for a midweek run at all!  Rest day today as I had a hearing in Gloucester.  Still getting the hang of these in-person hearings after a 2 year break.  I'm sure it'll be like falling off a log again soon.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. those wardrobes were fitted in the early 90's so a few of the bolts were a bit stubborn!  Decent quality though so the units were on the heavy side. Good to see you're improving - I read elsewhere that JoeB has been through a rough few weeks but seems to have come out the other side, Katie running well too.

Jools...any plans to get back to longer runs or are you just taking it as it comes?

10k walk yesterday and 23m on the bike today.  Hamstring is steadily improving but not tempted to run yet.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - yep those medium long runs can be a chore midweek, i had best not get too used to 6 or  7m instead.

Wardi - katie is going well, she ran well at manchester 1/2. What has been up with joe?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. Joe was wiped out from mid Jan to mid May, physical symptoms like bad headaches, weariness, feeling lousy.  This also affected his mental state.  Similar to long covid but it wasn't that apparently.  He did start to feel better mid May and recently clocked 17.12 for Parkrun which is much more like his old self.  Pleased and relieved for him.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good to see Joe back, great athlete and a really good character. 
    Wardi - the x-crossing is all good stuff.
    TR - That sounds much better.

Ticked the box for 10,000 metres in May, and signed up for the same for June though more of the elevation will come from long-runs, and also I hope a few days away in the French Alps. Glorious weather,  so a double planned for today, a few miles with the dog this morning, and something along the coastal path this afternoon, all pretty leisurely at the moment, need to have a faster session sometime soon. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds likelong CV to me. LFTs arnt the moat reliable, i was surrounded by folks who were positive before Brighton, but was passing LFTs. Im pretty sure i had a touch of it though, asit gave me symptoms i had as i recovered last time, although i do accept ive had plenty of lurgies recently, probably due to the lurgy surge after all that time social distancing.

OO - well done on the 10000, today sounds good.

Still on reduced mileage and volume, but included 3x10min today. Head felt a bit improved and chest didn't ache. Hopefully on the up again now.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good stuff TR, hope the improvements continue.

OO.. congrats on the 10,000m, great ascending.

Just over 30m on the bike today.  Rode through ten different villages which at times made me feel like a judge in a bunting contest. 🙂
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Hopefully on the mend now, and quite enjoyable short running for a while without the nagging feeling of fitting in long runs.
    Wardi - Nice one, great to see the villages and places dressed-up.  Locally, a favourite is a few houses with large Union Jacks, Canadian and New Zealand flags. 

A few hillyish runs and finally a faster session which I had been kind of dreading as when tried a pacier session the other week, felt like really hard work and couldnt get quicker than 6.40's.  The 4m session came out @ 6.04 mm, on a grassy field.  Pleased and surprised in equal measure as felt like a fast cruising run and not really pushing it, and a few hours after a hilly 9m.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. great pace in that 4m section, second run of the day too!  Sometimes surprising what the legs can do, I remember running a swift Parkrun the day after a 17m long run.

Decided to give my legs a controlled run out at Parkrun today. 7.30 pace felt ok, my hamstring seems to feel better post race than pre race which is encouraging.  2 5m warm down too.
    Nice to see CharlieW at the start, up here visiting his daughter.  He seemed to have a decent run on our flat course.😉
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - top stuff on that 4m pace, all the hilly stuff hasnt flattened your legs

Good that you're on the mend wardi, good to hear that Charlie is still going well

As OO and jools says all the shorter runs have a whole let less logistics around them, and my body has started to feel better. But it was bothering me that i havnt run long for around 4 wks already,......so 10+, became 15, 16 and then 18 today. Legs were pretty tired and achey, but managed a few hops and skips afterwards so couldn't have been too ruined.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sunday turbo today. Back on thr running commutes tomorrow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. getting back to the long runs must be a decent confidence boost.

4m this morning to continue the recovery, I'll keep the runs short for now.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    TR - Hope it goes well.
    Wardi - Sounds sensible, easy as it goes.

A weekend of hilly doubles for me, typically 6-7m in 1 hour slots.  I just seem to like running doubles at the moment and fits in with life. So, a weekly mileage of  67m which is where I want to be.  Off to French Alps on Friday, looking forward to some mountain running. Going to be pretty warm, with the daily forecasts set for cool mornings and very warm afternoons up at around 27/28C.   
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO... sounds like good temperature extremes training, I'm sure you will enjoy your time out there.

Another 4m today.  I'll be visiting old friends down near Oxford Tues-Thurs so not sure if I will fit any running in.  Best to treat them as recovery days which won't do any harm at the moment.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Alps sounds good OO, will be a test of your recent prep

Wardi - probably a good time for a few rest days

Back to work so back on the run commutes, 10m home last night. But had to drop my lads car today for early mot tomorrow, so i ran early before dropping the car off. 8m inc 10x3mins av pace was poor, but that was due to tired legs from recent training rather than feeling ropey, so thats a plus. 4m jog home, do i can run in tomorrow to bring the car home, and then run in thursday to bring the bike home.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Top work OO.
    Wasn't too far from you at the weekend. Did my Sunday LSR along the Camel Trail & lanes near Bodmin. Thought this might be of interest to you https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips-training/the-science-of-downhill-running 
    Enjoy the recovery Wardi
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    7m easy run in yday (car home).

Thought id try a tempo today, did 3m easy and then 8m steady (approx mp +10%) in the end as i was out early enough. Was going to pick it up in the last few miles but the effort level felt enough as it was. Didnt want to push hard.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good tempo there TR, decent signs of a gradual recovery.

Cheers Jooligan, sounds like a scenic run for you.

My legs have felt like they are in marathon taper mode in the last week as the mileage has dropped like a stone.  3 x 4m is the sum total this week as I try to gauge recovery.  Today's effort was the first run where there has been no discomfort or 'pulling' sensation, hopefully I'm over the worst.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds like the rest days have helped. Hopefully you can build up again.

Easy miles early yday, then overseas (IoW) for a wedding, which meant i was a bit tired and hungry for todays long run. Did an easy 16m but was on fumes by the end.
    edited June 2022
    OO - congrats on the climbing goal completed. Alps training sounds fab. Although, training where you live in the UK also sounds fab to me too.

Wardi - good perseverance with the cross training whilst the hammy settled down. Pleased to hear it seems to be on the mend.

TR - good to read some positive news from your side too. The effort levels are what it's all about  in recent weeks I've stopped worrying about paces almost completely. In fact I've gone full 80/20 and cut out the steady pace stuff that doesn't tick many boxes in so much as not fast enough to tax the faster running system or slow enough to be of use for recovery. It's been out of necessity tbh as I've had niggles bothering me. They seem to be subsiding. 

Jooligan - interesting article, thanks for posting. The limiting factor for me and downhill running on the fells is psychological not physiological ! Although to contradict myself completely, my ankles are terrible tbf. 

Jools - agree with you and others; those midweek longer runs are hard on the mind. I recall getting up at 4am to get a 15 miler done during one campaign on a thursday before driving to Sheffield for 8am in the office! We're a special breed. We're adjusting to two days in the office over next few weeks on a trail period. It will be a shock to the system. 

Weird week for me with various aches and pains and lots of cursing my lack of form/motivation. Started to feel better as the weekend approached and then thoroughly enjoyed my early leg of the Welsh castles relay yesterday. 

Leg 2 is reasonably flat with a lumpy finish dropping down into Criccieth. Quite blustery conditions but felt I ran well to finish 11th overall and 1st Vet team in 66 mins for the 10.7 miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good that you enjoyed the relay, i guess its a low pressure hit out? Do you mean relaxing the easy run pace? I call steady my mp +10% pace, but thats a sort of tempo type effort for me, but an easy temp pace. Unless im doing some target 3min reps or mp the rest of my running is all 8 to 9mm, i guesd you mean that stuff.

Turbo day for me, tried to keep it a bit steady as have a trail race Wednesday and 10k Sunday, my legs wont know what's hit them.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Good stuff in the relay SJ, that's a decent pace.  Nice to see you've hit a training/recovery plan that suits.

TR.. ooh I like a good wedding, though vol-au-vents and cake are not the ideal long run prep.  :neutral: Well done on getting through the 16 miler.

I have managed to run the last 3 days though steady away with 4m+5m+4m.  It does seem to be a slow recovery but does feel much better than a week ago.  Not worth rushing it at this stage.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed on the not pushing it, esp as you are on the mend. I had my folks with me and we were on the car ferry, so it was a restrained affair for me.
    TR - not really a low pressure hit out. I still get the jitters before most races, I don't race that often to get used to it, but when others are interested in the outcome there is a bit more pressure. 

Exactly right with regards to the paces. I used to get hung up about pace in my early 30's that's for sure. I ran a recovery jog last week at 9:30/mile pace and it was the most enjoyable run of the week. 

80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald explains it better than me. Its not the run this week that will see gains, or the run in a month's time, its the cumulative training over years that sees improvements. 

I overheard a conversation on the start-line yesterday that was pertinent to the above. One chap asked another what pace he'd be aiming for. The other chap responded "no idea yet as I've not run the race". I really liked that as I've come to realise that perceived effort is the true barometer of how you are feeling on any given day, not a gadget which has the vagaries of gps accuracy etc. I'm sure you told me all this about 10 years ago LOL... what can I say... I'm a slow learner. 

I'm not quite going to leave my gadget on the kitchen table before a run but I glance at it less often and care less about paces on individual days. 

Wardi - better news with the recent short running. Wise to take things nice and slowly. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ  - fair do's. I was thiinking low pressure in it not being a normal racing distance, but still pressure from your club mates............i see it as still being able to train the next day, and the next day. I dont look at pace on easy runs, i look at it afterwards. I have wrist HRM which reads low (but im comparing a bad apple with a bad apple, so it doesnt matter) and i can get easy runs done at lower than 120 av.......my biggest problems are keeping the easy runs short, and im pretty much all pavement and tarmac cos of my commutes.......i am trying to make sure i do a few drills and some quicker stuff each week, as i think its good for my aging body, esp range of motion etc but its only some mp or 10% and the odd session, im trying to make sure i keep the harder efforts controlled too and keep awayfrom the cliff edge,  beasting myself in training is not a good idea. The aussies would be proud of me.