Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Yes, well two of the aussies would be proud of you. One other persists in running everywhere quickly ! 

Exactly, keep the cliff edge stuff for race days. Training not straining etc etc
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    He did a 29min 10k today though.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Wow... he is going well atm. Maybe there is something in this running quickly after all haha
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    My best year for race times my average pace over all runs slowed by a minute a mile. I was racing every week though.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Cheers Jooligan.

Last day in Chamonix, weather been really good 30C and the runs fantastic. The pattern being generally a morning run up the mountain somewhere interesting, coffee, back down and repeat for the afternoon so far around 55m and 5000m banked. Ydays 10m took nearly 3 hours. Training not straining absolutely spot on SJ. 

Did something different/ foolhardy this morning the Chamonix vertical KM, a run upto Planpraz lift under the lift totalling 3.4 km in distance. Steep but fine for first 800 metres, then scrambling, eroded trails, 150m of cables, bridges and supports as you climbed, finely balanced and dangled above sheer drops. And it started to rain then cloudburst so glad to have finished in one peice. Took 1 hrs 10 minutes! 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cracking time on that Castles Relay Leg btw SJ
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like you've been enjoying yourself.

16 wks til london so time to start getting in training for the training, which means building towards mlr Monday with 11m today.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Cheers Jools. Legs complaining a bit today mind. 

That sounds like a hair raising experience OO. Rather you than me as I'm not great with heights. 

16 weeks eh TR. That'll be the same for me too then as Chester is the same day as London. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - 16 weeks is a good time to get in training for the training.

5m easy commute this morning. This weeks 10x3min will be done tomorrow evening with zero rest intervals at the Hayling Billy trail 5m.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. you seem to have made the most of your trip, that last ascent description sounds like a proper adventure.

TR.. where does the name 'Hayling Billy' come from?  We do have a 'Bill's Hilly Muddy' run up here.  :|  Have a good run tomorrow.

SJ.. I'm considering Chester myself if I can get back to proper mileage soon.  A few of my club are running it.

After 4m yesterday I had a brisk run with the club tonight, 6.7m with some decent paces and without any discomfort.  Pleased with the progress considering I was crocked 2 weeks ago.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to be on the mend wardi, get that chester entry in.......Hayling Billy Trail is the old Hayling Billy train line which runs down the island. Its now a cycle/walking trail.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Glad to see that TR and Wardi are both faring a little better.

6M easy yesterday and 6M with 8 sets of strides today.  The hayfever has really kicked in this morning.  Even though I showered pretty soon after the run I'm still sneezing away.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Good luck in the midweek fixture tonight TR. I'm missing my own midweek 5 miler next week due to being down in Cornwall on holiday. 

Wardi - have you run Chester before? I've been penciling in some build-up races so its definitely moving into focus. Good to hear things seem to have settled down quickly. 

Jools - good back to back runs and you must be feeling some rhythm returning with the strides. 

My legs are trashed from the race in Wales and last nights club session, although on grass, still knocked them about a bit. 

Slow one tonight, potentially up on the fells to ensure it's slow. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. bad luck with the hay fever, I only suffer minimally but it can still be a nuisance.  :'(

TR.. I didn't realize you had mini islands down there, sounds a nice traffic free course.

SJ..  no not run Chester before but have heard decent reports from club mates and others.  Just checked the start list, didn't realise 14 from my club are entered.  5 of our fast lads are in, should all be 2.45-3.05 on a good day.

A steady 4m today, I do quite like a run in this sort of heat.  Took a tumble on a gravel path, fortunately opposite side to my recent injury.  Bit of a gashed elbow but legs/knees merely scuffed.  Hopefully good to go tomorrow.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Wardi - steady there ! Lucky as you say not to aggrivate the recent bothersome side.

I've not actually entered Chester yet, probably should get round to that at some point. I believe there is a price increase at the end of July. 

It's a lumpy course but lots have run well there so I figure it's worth a crack. As we all know the odd bump can actually have benefits both mentally and physically instead of unrelenting flat courses like Manchester. 

9 miles trudged out on the tow path tonight. Started off slow and got going on the return. Easy tomorrow and then rest day Friday. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Try not to equalise the injury woes, Wardi - gravel paths are a pain for suddenly losing your footing!

5M easy this morning, and then a hearing in an actual courtroom.  Very 2019/early 2020-esque.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. I must admit I was very relieved to fall on my 'good' side as I might have re-strained the old niggle otherwise. Every cloud etc🙄

SJ.. I'm sure I read that Chester post the race numbers out pre race.  That makes a refreshing change.

I almost uncorked the bubbly today! 7m + 5m,  my first double in a while.  Apart from feeling slightly bruised no ill effects.  24 degrees this afternoon so a hot and sticky run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Good you never hurt yourself wardi.....Hayling is a pain to get to as theres only one road/bridge on and off, Portsmouth has three, but im just off the island anyway

SJ - a rolling course would be ok as it gives your legs some variety, yeovil was like that.

Hayling Billy 5 yday on bike/horse/walking trail, no time pressure as its off road so aim was to run strong, pick up some places and hopefully no woozy or tight chest issues like at Bognor. Managed all the above. 31:12ish for 12th or 13th, but was defo first M50 as i got a trophy. Bit slower pace than Bognor, but would be quicker if it was tarmac. Got beat by the odd person id expect to beat, so im not back where i was yet, but hopefully on the mend.

11m home tonight, legs were a bit achey late on and feet are a bit sore from ydays stoney paths.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Jools - do you prefer the courtroom? I prefer working from home tbh mainly because of the commute and the costs in terms of time and money. 

Wardi - good news on the double and I can imagine you were rightly relieved/pleased to get back going again. 

I get why big races want you to visit an expe but it makes it so much easier getting a number in the post. I think Chester was the race for the BMAF  championship for a number of years but York has that distinction now IIRC? 

TR - the big win in that race was how you felt. Good to be heading in the right direction and feeling good. Onwards and upwards. Tidy double digit run home too. 

9 miles last night on the tow path in the end. Got going eventually and 5 miles super easy tonight. 

Trying to do some core and strength work but I'm terrible at almost everything. I'll stick with it but it's quite shocking how I manage to function with such deficiencies. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - re s and c, we've got a dipping stand now too, im up to a manly 4 reps, my lad adds weights to a waist harness......brighton have been listening to their feedback as they've brought back the on the day bag drop and dropped the number collect. Good news for me as i just need the (admittedly good) park and ride on the day........and then some good health amd good weather.......bit of an ask really...........
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done on the race result, TR.  I always quite liked 5 milers: a sweet spot between eyeballs out the whole way 5k pain and 10k pacing.

In some ways being in court is easier - you can take instructions from your client more quickly and easily, and building a rapport with new clients is much easier - but not having to commute is also very lovely.  I suspect the best solution is that the interim case-management style hearings should stay remote, and the substantive hearings, where key decisions are taken, should generally be in person. Although I've got several at the moment where one party will be remote for safety and/or travel purposes, so there's some flexibility being used sensibly.

7M this morning.  Looking forward to tomorrow: pollen forecast is merely 'high' rather than 'very high'.  I would crack open the bubbly, but alcohol exacerbates hayfever symptoms!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Interesting jools, when i was reading up on sinus issues it said no alcohol as it swells the passages.

5m easy this morning, similar tomorrow instead of a long run, then an undulating 10k sunday which is going to be a shock so close to the Billy race.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    TR - That was a really good performance and time (6.15 mm) on the off-road 5m and good to see you feeling a bit more like it too.  Good to know the speed is still in the locker. Good news too on Brighton, we can all do without that faff.

SJ - Your putting in some good miles, whereabouts in sunny Cornwall are you staying? The weather looks good(ish) next week.  S&C is something I and many others overlook.

Joolska - Hopefully a better weekend for hayfever sufferers.  Interesting, I suppose the WFO/ WFH issue is very much job dependent and I can see where it works for your profession.  I am trying to get out more and meet clients as much prefer the person to person interaction and spending too much time on-screen.  

Wardi - Ouch for the fall, lucky it was your 'good side'.

A ticking over week for me, generally easy 6 or 7m runs. In the excitement of going to the French Alps and getting back, forgot I have a forest trail marathon next Saturday in Wales, so its taper time!  Not sure what my aspirations are for the race, part of me says take it nice and slow and get a 4 hour run in your legs as thats what needed for the August race, another part says in a good chance of a podium place, so go and race it, and this will still take best part of 3.30. I'll ponder on.

Have filled in my GFA for London 2023 and looks like Malaga in December is not going to happen as coincides with my wife's works Christmas party and we are staying away somewhere (though clearly not warm and sunny Malaga!)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - forest mara sounds good. My gfa eggs are all in the last minute basket, london 2022 is the last day of the qualifying period.

4m easy here, bit of a late night with too many frothies so good job it wasnt a long run day today as its pretty warm and humid.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Similar thinking here TR, Chester is also 2nd Oct and falls exactly on my birthday vintage no. 65.  My GFA time moves to sub 4 hrs!  Hope you have a good run tomorrow.

OO.. shame about Malaga but you do usually have a few overseas events to compensate.

Didn't want to push my luck after Thursday's double so took the bike out for 24m yesterday.  I resisted Parkrun today and did 5m steady instead, don't want to try anything fast yet.  My injured elbow is still looking a bit battered but is starting to heal thankfully.  Invited to a chum's BBQ tonight so will sink a few frothies.

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    TR / Wardi - add me to the last chance saloon for London gfa 2023 place at Chester too. Adds a bit more spice to proceedings. 

Wardi - although you can do nothing about time passing, the next leg up the gfa ladder is welcome I'm sure. 

TR - hope the 10k goes well today. Cooler temps at least should help. 

OO - now that is a dilemma re the forest marathon. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for where you're training is at. 

We're headed to St Ives via the New Forest to collect my folks. I can't remember the last time I spent more than a couple of days with them. Running shoes are in the car! 

Had a decent end to the week after a tired start. Did 35 min controlled tempo yesterday at 6:27/mi which felt good and rounded the week off with 16 miles today.

51 for the week is the biggest week since pre Manchester outing. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Very wise wardi

Enjoy Cornwall SJ, where are you going ?

Arlesford 10k today, which was sold as undulating, i ran the last 2k as a warm up out and back, and decided it was more hilly than undulating in my opinion, so decided to take it easy early on and then push on later on. Turns out that the only bit of flat was the few hundred metres round the field at the start and finish, and that was slippery due to the overnight rain. Strategy worked well, ran strongly, picked up places and had no issues, with a bit in reserve.
    39.02, conpared to my 38.00 on Bognor Prom and 38.38 at the country park, so decent blow out. 15 wks to go, time  to get on it.
    Dipped in with an M55 category, so picked up a mini hamper and £30 vouncher for the AG win.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. that's a decent week and a good tempo yesterday.  Re GFA, when I was a V40 sub 3.15 got you a GFA place.  I think it's 3.05 on countback now.

TR.  nice work getting the V55 win, hope there's some tasty treats in the mini hamper.  Solid time on a lumpy course too.

8.7m today which took me to just over 40m + a bike ride for the week.
    As luck would have it one of the young fillies in my club advertised her Chester place on FB today as she can no longer take part.  She let me have the early bird price she had paid so that's saved me around £20.  Something to focus on in the autumn.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    TR - Congratulations that a well run race and a  good time; always great to win something, that sounds pretty generous.  
    Wardi - Another good looking week and nice one on the Chester place. Ha ha, you know me too well, eyeing up Lanzarote, a week earlier.  
    SJ - That's a good weekly total and a very decent tempo, your in good shape. Wow, that's some journey but looks like the sun is going to be shining on you, so hope you have a great week and always good to take the running shoes to explore nearby places, the coastline is supposed to be spectacular around there.

9m hilly easy yesterday so 53m weekly total and 300' from Everesting this month.  An easy taper week is planned for Saturdays race.  Going to run it as a marathon primarily to get the training effect, so plan to run it quickly enough but no overdo it so relatively can resume training pronto, for my A race in August.   
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Still in with the fillies Wardi. Goid to have Chester on the fixture list.

OO - sounds like a good race plan.

SJ - not sure how i missed St Ives, sounds good.

Inched monday mlr up to 12m tonight, but that was probably enough after ydays 10k.