Sub 3

Comments

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Yep from his footy days - that was my memory too. One of the coaches of his lad's football team said it, but he said it wasn't him on FB - so who knows?!?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Good to see you LS21. Pretty sure we were chatting on strava (I've since deleted my account on there), difficult to know for sure with forum handles. Great to read that you have returned to some decent running and as TR mentioned, great result in the heat the other day. Onwards! 

I randomly heard FlatcapJoe shout 'dont be sh*t' at the Manchester marathon one year. He gets about that lad. 

TR - hope the long run wasn't too warm. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's long run. Although I plan to be running by 7am latest. Not sure if you are aware but in the address bar of the forum webpage you'll notice 4 digits at the end, those correspond to the page number. Just that you mentioned it took you a while to go back and find the page LS21 mentioned. You can change those 4 digits and voila.... you are taken to that page number. 

Wardi - yes that makes sense re getting back to where you were. Even though I'm a little behind you I do feel the same way. Things creaking a lot more too. Hope your parkrun result was a confidence booster. 

Having said that I was out early doors for my saturday tempo run. 8 miles total with 5 at tempo effort (slightly uncomfortable perceived effort). Not setting the world alight but managed to average 6:24/mile pace. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LS21 - agreed, i thought the footy manager said it to the lads. "Kick it hard, and dont be shit".

SJ - that would have saved me some trawling. Good work on the tempo run, training gains to be had for sure.......was a bit toasty for my run, didnt set out til 9.30.

Hot 20m, 10 easy, 10 approx +10%, a litre of fluid and 2 gels. Coped ok, esp as legs were achey yday from Wednesdays 10k. Hopefully a more marathon specific week next week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a fine 20m in the bag TR, it was coolish early on here but rose from 15 to 18 degrees within an hour!

SJ.. Nice tempo run, always harder to do on your own.

LS21.. I would guess your marathon prep was as per normal?  A minor collision with a motor vehicle and eating your own weight in flap jacks from the village shop. Still, definitely worthy of a 'fair effort son'.  Any others tentatively planned?

Parkrun was encouraging.. 22 mins dead which was 42 secs quicker than last week.  TBF it was my favourite conditions - warmish & windless. Nice to maintain a decent pace again post injury.  Another short run planned for later then a nice cold beer. 
    edited July 2022
    Wardi - decent improvement in a week,  encouraging ad you say. I bet that cold one was welcome! I'm abstaining currently. Trying shift some midriff ballast! 

TR - nicely done as ever on the 20 miler. Adding the faster second half is good going in this weather. Fine effort.

18 miles done by 10am. Very warm at times but I also got shade in places so manageable. A slight pick-up over the last 10k rolling hills but nowhere near 10% p&d style just yet. I drank every last drop of the 500ml of water I had on me. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice one on the improvement, it was probably 26 here when i finished running. Not ideal.

Well done SJ, rolling hills is good. Theres a rolling few miles  in my 2nd 10m before the downhill home. The aussies will be happy with your run......i wore a lot of my fluid, put some of it on my cap/head.

Early walkies with the spo today, so late morning turbo which was real hot !
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    SJ..  great effort early doors, on longer runs I usually organise water drops the day or morning before as I try to avoid having to carry the stuff.
    One of my fast clubmates (Chester bound) logged a 20m run early yesterday av. 6:18 pace.  He's improving all the time, ran a 74 min half in Jan and I reckon he would clock faster than that now.  Hasn't run a full marathon before so doesn't know what to expect.  :|

12m for me earlier, temps just about tolerable but I swear I could feel it getting hotter by the mile!  Short  bike ride this afternoon, it seems that everyone with a convertible car was out for a ride!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Welcome back LS21 - jeez, glad you've recovered and are able to be back at it.
    Well doing Speedy, thats special.
    Good to see your getting stronger and fitter Joe, thats the great thing about marathon runners, the fitness does seem to return fairly quickly.
    Cracking parkrun Wardi - the Endure event has really helped.
    SJ & TR, snap on long runs yesterday - 20m for me also on rolling hills though some were 26%! Luckily not as hot here in Cornwall as other parts of England. The 20m rounding off another 70m+ week and another 2,500m+ of climbing.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i started off with 2 bottles saturday, stashed one in the hedgerow at around 5m and picked it up on the way back. I carry a bottle on marathon day so its good practice.

OO - well done on the 20m and the nice totals.

Did a early 10m this morning (after an earlier dog walkies) to avoid a commute run home this evening.
    Wardi - good stuff on the warm run. I wear a fell running vest with hydration bladder things. I forget I'm wearing it after a few minutes. Your clubmate sounds like he's in for a very fast debut then. The improvements in our group are similarly impressive. Sometimes feels like I'm one of the only ones just about maintaining/hanging on. 

OO - crikey, theres rolling and then there's mountaineering :smile: impressive training. 

TR - good stuff getting out early doors for a double digit to start the week. I too was up very early to walk our very warm pooch. It felt quite reasonable so I jogged 5 miles along the canal. 

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello again,

Quite a warm one today, even up here in Cumbria (which makes a nice change cos the weather has been utterly dreadful all year!)

SJ - yes that was me on Strava. I came off there about a year or so ago as well (probably longer). It's not for me. I like to do my own thing/keep my head down a bit and just crack on. I didn't really like a lot of the comments on there, often from people who do 20 miles a week telling me I was doing too much etc. Yeah cheers. I use Fetch as my training log. Always have really (since 2009 anyway) and I much much prefer it. Managed to get my 12 month rolling total to over 3,000 miles at the weekend, so all good :)  Well done on your tempo and long run too - good work!

Likewise TR on the LSR. Sounded a warm one! Are you London-bound? I'm guessing so, but I'm completely out of the loop.

wardi - good stuff on the parkrun. I'm semi-fancying an Autumn one (maybe Chester like yourself). Abo probably better in that it's 3 weeks later, but it's a lot harder for me logistically. Saturday is my busiest day at work, so getting away early is a no go really. Not sure a 4 hour drive the morning of a Marathon is going to yield a good result! I managed to bag my GFA time for London '23 (by over 5 mins) so I might just hang fire til then.

OO - nice to see you're still at it!!

Only a week post-Mara for me so just a steady 9 miles yesterday, and similar this morning. Nothing south of 8'00 pace and a few north of 9'00s, but all good :)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. doesn't seem long ago we had floods, shame we can't harness and store more of this excess water.  Congrats on the GFA and good luck with future race plans.👍

OO.. very impressive training, good height gain too.

TR.. good work getting a 10 miler in early doors.

20m on the bike this afternoon, I did feel a few patches of melted tarmac which didn't surprise me, baking out there.  We did have a 10k handicap race tomorrow evening to end our 10k summer race series.  This has been cancelled due to the forecast.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - doggy walkies is a bit of an early morning and late evening activity this week.

Good work on the 3000 LS, ive managed that the last few years after having to stop for some months in 2016. Took me a long time to get back to sub3.....yes in for London, hopefully ill get a very late gfa for 2023 there.

Wardi - probably a wise call from the race. It must worry the organisers.

Id finished (walkies and) 10m inc 12x3min this morning, it was pretty scorchio by then at around 25 or 26. Plan to be back on the commutes tomorrow.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LS21 - Ha ha, I am addicted!  Easy running post-mara is the way to go, always amazed at runners who pick it up sometimes in the week following a marathon.  London 2023 is going to be popular on here then.
    TR - Good timetabling on the early run, but that must have been early, post dog-walking too.  I missed that very decent 10k result at Brighton, well done, that's an impressive string of fast races your putting together.
    SJ - The 26% section was only 200 metres long!
    Wardi - 20m @ 6.18 strewth!

6.5 & 9.5 double yesterday and another 2000' feet bagged, and as have been neglecting running fast put a 2m chunk of 6.20 mm in.  Thankfully far cooler weather here and for the forseeable. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Upcoming marathons / please add-edit (getting closer  :o

OO - OCC @ UTMB, Aug 26 & Majorca Oct 9.
    TR - London, Oct 2.
    Wardi - Chester, Oct 2
    SJ - Chester, Oct 2
    LS21 - TBD

• CC2 - Enjoyable read that on your trip to Finland. Congrats on the medal, that's some achievement. How many events were you qualified for or were they all open?
    OO - Impressive climbing stats. When I'm bored i'm going to find my hilliest run since I moved to the midlands. I'm at 131m elevation here and according to a map the highest elevation in a 3 mile radius is about 144m. Not sure I could refer to anything around here as "hill training".
    Wardi - We did see a few melting driveways out the other day so not surprised roads were melting a bit. Not a bad idea to drop the tyre pressure a little bit when it's so warm.
    TR - Would not fancy 20 miles at this time of year at any pace. Mind you there's been some ultras over in the US recently that would be even more taxing from all angles.
    SJ - Ditto for you with your 18. 500ml of water doesn't go too far so not at all surprised you slurped it all up.

I'm finding the motivation a challenge at the moment. Fitness return is slow, weather is hot, so I've done something like 4 miles in the last week. I feel a bit directionless. On the plus side my weight seems to be slowly dropping and i'm not suffering from any injuries (although that's going to happen when you don't run). Hoping i'll kick things into gear a little bit and find some consistency. Reflecting on how hot it has been lately I don't think I ever do much running in the height of summer so maybe this is just my natural rhythm. 
    edited July 2022
    TR - Fair play on getting out yesterday and even more so that you threw some efforts in as well. I feel bad now for welching out. 

LS21 - Like other social platforms I found strava a massive drain on my time. I get triggered by clutter and too much information noise. I feel much better for not having it as a distraction. I'm hoping to get GFA back at Chester. 

Wardi - Good to see some common-sense prevailing with the 10k cancellation. I could be remembering it wrong but the tarmac always used to melt when I was a kid growing up. 

OO - nice double and with the faster bit too. Ooo a list. It's been a while since I featured on one of those. 

As mentioned I took a rest day yesterday as it was 36 C at 6pm and I was dog tired from not sleeping the night before where it was 25 C most of the night. It began to turn around 9pm last night but no chance I was going out at that time. 

So I was up early this morning where it was much fresher so did the club session on my own along the tow path. Warm up into 2k tempo followed by 6x800m. Tempo was good and first 3 efforts were ok. Then the wheels wobbled a little as I didn't have the energy to maintain. Readjusted slightly and got it back under control but a bit of a mish mash of a session tbh. Still got some relative speed in so on to the next run. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. good session there, sensible to do it early today - it was like a sauna yesterday afternoon.

OO.. nice double and more good climbing.  I see you still have the Majorca race in your plans, love the Spanish marathons.

Joe.  In very simplistic terms I find the more I get out for a run in the warmth the more I get used to it.  The last couple of days have been very testing though!

TR.. hope the commute run went well, still warm but a bit fresher here tonight.

10k before 9am yesterday, 22 degrees so not too bad.  Bike ride in the afternoon was like being in the Sahara, the water I had on the bike was tepid!
    11m earlier today, chose the part sheltered cycle route as it was still around 26 degrees, More enjoyable than the last few days though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    OO - good bit of pace in there.......turns out the 10k wasnt as quick a course as i thought (looking at folks near me recent races), probably due to the heat and there were a lot of tight turns going from the prom to the road. So scope for going faster, although that might be my 10ks done for the year.

SJ - well done on getting the session done, i was prepared to back off if reqd yday. 

Wardi - was about 25 when i ran home after work, got it done.

14m run commute home. Trying to get some proper marathon work done.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning all. It has been a while - I hope all are well and injury free!

Good to see the usual suspects putting in the usual stellar training, and even noticed a visit from LS21!!

I've struggled to get going since Manchester, with some major bouts of CNBA (taking me longer and longer to 'get over' trips back home), and, subsequently, far too many 20-30m weeks (some probably even less). 

Decided on Sunday to just make a concerted effort to start getting out there consistently again (and to get properly into the gym seen as I've finished building it). Ran 3 x 1m on Monday, Tuesday off, and then done my first group track session in about 10-11 years last night, which was a massive shock to the system!!
    Session was 2 x 1km, 6 x 400m, 4 x 400m, 4 x 200m and I ended up trying to hang with the front group (obviously; lol). Legs were toast by the 200s and some of the 400s were 'interesting', but it got my juices flowing so hopefully it'll help overcome the CNBA.
    Joe - X-Post yesterday... It's tough to put yourself through it when you don't really have the motivation or a goal. How about setting yourself some mini targets just to get back into some sort of routine? I find routine is the key to consistency.

When I got back going again after Christmas this year I started off with a target of run 3 times the first week. Then four times a week etc. Also key for me was running for time rather than distance. So I think I started off with 3 runs of 20 minutes. I didn't care about pace either. This took the pressure off straight away. By the end of January I was back up to 5 runs a week and had increased one of them to 45 minutes (long run :smile:
     ).

It was enough initially to make me feel like a runner again. From there I just added minutes to each run. By the end of February I was back up to 90 mins for a long run and other runs were 45 mins etc. Taking the pressure off definitely helped me. 

Wardi - logging some solid miles even as the temps subsided ever so slightly. 

TR - Great miles too especially with the mlr. I was thinking of adding another 10k (I have one pencilled in on 4th Sept) but the long runs are more important I think. 

TT - a bit of downtime is no bad thing and you'll be mentally fresher for it as well as physically recovered, ready for the next build-up. 

I've changed my training around so that I run first thing every day now. 9.3 miles this morning run progressively.

• Joe, the only qualification is being over the age of 35 and registered with your regional Masters Athletics Association (Midland Masters in my case). Plus being able to get the time off work/other commitments and being able to fund the whole thing yourself - flights, accommodation, race entries, kit... Plus you had to be triple vaxxed to get into Finland in June, which no doubt ruled a few more out. I'm in the lucky position of having zero commitments outside of work, and having a small inheritance to fund my passion. I am under no illusions. I'm probably not even the third fastest V40 in Nottinghamshire, never mind in the entire World. The Potter twins would definitely take me down for starters. 
  • First run back yesterday. My jaw ached and my legs were confused but it felt good to get back out there. Just easy running this week then a 9 week build into the Bristol 10k where I get to wear my England vest again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - do a low key race somewhere it will light your fuse.

TT - good to see you

SJ - i prefer to run early, esp for any quicker stuff. Ive a trail 5m, trail 10m and then IoW 1/2 in Aug but thats hilly with trails too, so no more races where ill be chasing a  time until london.

Rare 5m and 5m double today to ensure my bike was at the right end to run in tomorrow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. I was forced into a bit of downtime after an upper hamstring niggle, took 3-5 weeks to get back to proper running.  In some ways it was a blessing in disguise - a few long standing niggles cleared up too.  Good to see you trying to get back in the groove, that looks like a hard session.

CC2.. I guess it still feels a bit special representing your country or county, keep on doing it if it gives you a buzz.  I have always enjoyed my overseas marathon and Parkrun adventures.

SJ.. morning runs are usually very pleasant this time of year, just a matter of hauling oneself out of bed!

TR.. nice double to sort out logistics, I remember it well; clothes, transport, keys, hi viz etc.

Slightly chaotic on the roads near me due to highway repairs, the smell of tarmac is everywhere!  Managed a 5m + 4m double skirting the highways dept!
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj - I used to get my main run done first thing on days I ran into the office (which might become a thing again soon) and always felt better for it. 

CC2 - nice medaling. Congrats!

Wardi - it does seem to have helped some of the issues I had settle (though that could equally be finishing the heavier lifting diy). It was bloody hard. Hanging with the lead group meant I practically ran (theoretical current) 3km and mile pace for the 2 x 1km, and then averaged mile pace for the 400s, and quicker for the 200s. I'm still feeling it today!!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Run commute - Remember when I was young and carefree, used to run through Richmond Park in London to get to/ from work, that was a great way to start and end the day and get the miles in.  
    Really good advice TR & SJ.
    TT - Good to see you, first track session in yonks, dangerous! 

A few days of doubling for me, 10m planned later and same again tomorrow whilst I build myself up for a 3.30 very very slow long run on Sunday.  Might break with traditions and take some tunes/ pods to listen to for that.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    On one dark January run commute I ran past a farm where there were lights evident from a distance.  They were playing floodlit tennis in 5 degrees!  Two of the farms around here have tennis courts, no idea of the connection.

OO.. that sounds like a mile packed weekend, good luck with the long effort on Sunday.

Easy 5.3m this morning, might abandon Parkrun tomorrow as both of my local events are off.  Might get out for a longer run as marathon season is underway.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Drat, a leaky shower needed a temporary patch up by which time I had time for 10.3m late afternoon.  Not a complete loss then, try again tomorrow.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - hope that long run goes well

Wardi - 10m is still decent esp later in the day

5m yday then long run day today. No long for the next 2 weekends so wanted a decent one today, 5.5m easy, 11m steady (approx +10%), 4.5m easy. Decent week of more marathon specific training done.