Monday session

I suspect I could be close to all alone today - one of the disadvantage of living in Germany = no August bank holiday. Still we have one in October.

Today: Cross train
Why: Continuing on current regime to improve knee injury but also legs feeling extremely tired (thighs) from Saturday long run.
Days since last hard: Two.
Days since last rest: Three.

My knee seems to be getting steadily better although I still feel I need to be very careful. Having said that having had two relatively hard weeks (for me!) I will probably ease back a little this week to give my legs chance to recover before two more weeks big mileage push. Marathon is looming - five weeks next Sunday (ulp!). Depending on knee I may also decide to race this coming weekend in a local half.

Comments

• Tim

You're right there are lots of holidays but most of them fall in May i.e. This May we had the entire month with four day weeks - bonus!

There are however a couple of annoying quirks:

1. I live in Hessen which is non-catholic state. The catholic states have lots more holidays.
    2. Germans don't carry forward holidays e.g. if Christmas falls at a weekend we don't get a day of in lieu. Two years ago I think Christmas was on a Saturday and boxing day on a Sunday - Just a normal weekend then!

Bogus!

But generally we have more holidays than the UK.

What were you doing in Munich?
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: either a rest or an recovery run tonight for between 40 minutes and 60 minutes
    Why: don't feel too tired so a run may be more beneficial than a rest
    Last hard day: yesterday
    last rest day: last Monday

• Bad luck Martin, just think of the rest of us sitting in our sunny gardens today while you're at work! BTW, glad your training is going well including the dreaded long runs despite your knee probs. Sounds like you're doing really well.

Woke up this am and decided not to do the Kendal 1/2m as I feel lethargic and queasy. Shame as it's a beautiful day for running and I was looking forward to this race which takes on my running back yard so to speak. But can't complain as I'm hardly ever ill and there's another 1/2m coming up in 2 weeks: choice between flat but boring Lancaster 1/2 with possibility of PB, or tough Langdale 1/2 taking in some of the worst hills but best scenery in the Lakes, feels like it's one I ought to do for the experience.
  • Morning Martin, Tim, Drew and Laura.

What: 2 hour long run
    Why: My Dublin Schedule has a few holes in it. Had a very hedonistic weekend (lots of meals out etc), so today is a work/run day!
    Last had day: Friday - hard because I didn't feel well
    Last rest day: Yesterday
  • Laura

Despite my various protestations I couldn't find one piece of conclusive evidence that would allow me to miss the long runs - so they have become a necessary evil! My 2:45 long run on Saturday was the furthest I have EVER run and whilst I didn't find it physically too tough, the worst bit was just the mental strain of running that long. Getting up and out early is, for me, the only way to do it although I did find that over the weekend I needed the occasional nap to recover (much to MrsH's indignation!).

Overall though I haven't changed my mind and long runs will be consigned to history if (when!) I get this marathon out of the way.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Far from alone.

I've just come back from my first cycling session of about 3.5miles and then went for a run of 2 miles.
    If I take the kids swimming this afternoon does this count as a triathlon?

Physically I feel fine, but mentally I'm in raptures, first time I feel like I've had a proper workout in months.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Glad to get 5 mins on the PC!
    I have kids , whats a holiday ?

What : 3 mile easy recovery
    Why : Monday is recovery day
    Last Hard : Sunday
    Last Rest : Friday
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    I have two new cats, not from the same litter, hissing and spitting at each other, so not much of a holiday here either....more like the feline version of World War 3!

Laura....what sunny back garden? It's grey and overcast here in Nottingham.

What: swim this evening, probably 30 mins of frontcrawl.
    Why: I usually do that on Monday and I will get away from the cats for an hour or so to recover my sanity.
    Last hard day: saturday morning: fartlek
    Last rest day: yesterday recovering from a hangover.
  • Greetings All

What: eating a late roast lamb lunch with lashings of red wine.
    Why: It's August bank holiday and I'm still feeling virtuous for running a 15 miler yesterday with a hangover.
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: today

I'm off to put the spuds in the oven and open the vino.

mm
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Bah, no bank holiday in Scotland, and its the warmest sunniest day of the year. Sod's law, eh?

Today's session will be 20ish miles on the bike, because it's too hot to run.

My triathlon yesterday would have gone better if I had done some more swimming prior to it, so I struggled badly on that leg. Cycle was great though, and the run considerably better than last year. Took 3 mins off last years time (1:35), even though I'm a stone heavier.

I'll be a vet by next year, so I will aiming for the first female vet's time of 1:20. Where's me cossie?.....
  • Too hot to run in Scotland? so that's where the good weather's gone. well done on the triathlon, Nessie. do you mean you will be trained to treat sick animals next year and if so what's that got to do with your running?

What: 9 miles recovery run
    Why: 22 miles yesterday
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: last Monday.

Trying for a 75 mile week, but not sure I can manage it without two a days - still can't work out how Elite runners do in excess of 120 mile weeks! s.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Well done Nessie for yesterday. I'm attempting my first tri in September.

Laura sorry you didn't feel well enougth to do the 1/2M today. Never mind have a good rest and you'll be flying in 2 weeks for the next one.

My session today:
    What: did 20 mile cycle this morning including a climb of nearly 500ft-coming down was a little scarey! Really enjoyed it though. Anyone who knows Portland in Dorset will agree you get one of the best views ever coming down as you can see so far across the coast. This evening I have circuits for 1 hr, so quite a tough day.
    Why: did the cycling because I need to get in some bike miles if I'm to do this triathlon. Circuit's are part of my regular weekly training.
    Last hard day: yesterday did 1/2M
    Last rest day: Saturday.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Thanks Achilles and Hilly. I did enjoy the tri once I was out the pool.

Hilly - do you have a cycle computer? Going down steep hills becomes great fun when you know exactly how fast you are going! My record is 41mph.......SCARY!
  • Hot and Sunny :o)

Nessie - Well done on your Triathlon

What: Nothing
    Why : Recovering from yesterdays 10k and this week is a taper week for Sundays Tri

Last Hard Day:Yesterday

Will
  • Hi all, I can remember my first tri I was so scared because I did'nt train much for it, but all went ok. I have since retired my swimming is really bad & my biking not much better!.
    Achilles I have run 120 miles in a week & I still can't work out how I did it!
    What: am 5M easy recovery run
    Why: yesterday's longish run 14M
    pm 8M steady
    Why: aerobic endurance run.
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: Fri
  • what: 5km run - 37 mins. Not sure whether that is good or not for a beginner but I was pleased to have done the distance I need to do for the race. Knee is fine afterwards too :o)
    why: Haven't run since last Monday because of all the stress and tiredness ut slept 14 hours last night/this morning so had no excuse!!
    Last Rest: Since Thursday
    Last Hard Day: Monday last week.

I've decided I'm going to have 2 rest days instead of one and will next run on Thursday (all being well). Last week and the week before when I pushed myself - I was whacked for the two days following.
  • Cath - sounds sensible. And I often feel better after not running for 2 days, and get a corresponding kick out of running when I get back to it. As in today.

What 4+M, I think 45 min, but that is a sufficiently wild improvement that I think something must have gone wrong in the time keeping department.

I wasn't running that fast. But it felt pretty good, in spite of having spent 4 hours bent over double mending/varnishing boats earlier in the day.

Not likely to post much - holiday orchestra week. 200 kids making music 9am-5pm, two house guests, five visiting relatives staying nearby. I'll be lucky if I can sneak another run in before the weekend, let alone tell you about it.

Catch up next week. Good luck folks. Marj

• what: not a lot. Cycled a few miles (~9) to & from cricket club to watch a game there.
    why: Race Wednesday - let's have a couple of nice easy days
    last hard day: Fri
    last rest day: Sat
  • what: 1hr50min easy run
    Why: 1/2 marrathons schedule
    last run: Friday
    Last rest day: Sunday

After wimping out on Thursday, I did the run I should have done on Friday evening and had a cracking run - best for ages! Don't know if it was the extra rest day or what, but managed to keep a good pace up (was meant to be 8min/miles pace for 7 miles)and really enjoyed it. There were a lot of runner out along the river but I only got overtaken by two blokes, both of whom told me I was running a good pace.