Options

Copa do Mundo - Coppa del Mondo - Coupe du Monde - Copa del Mundo - Fußballweltm

1414243444547»

Comments

• Options
    no

but its spoiled the finish

very strange
  • Options
    that's why I 'd love to know the very reason!
    But I don't think it was a magnificient game all together.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Nah, it didnt spoil the finish, that was just the commentators getting all glassy eyed.

Zidane was never an earth-shattering player, he just had an arrogant streak and was solidly built, which meant that people naturally gave him space to pass the ball and he used that well.

That same streak showed at the end, both in his play and his actions.

Italy were awesome first half, the most un-Italian game ever. Reverted to type second half, but overall a very solid team.

I for one am pleased.
  • Options
    Also it saddens me a little as Zidane has been an exemplary character in France, defying at some level the racism in the country.
  • Options
    The headbutt was nothing like the Italians reaction would suggest and, unlike Figo's headbutt in the face, it was aimed at the chest.
  • Options
    ive taken harder hits from a hockey ball and stayed standing!
  • Options
    but

he couldnt complain about the card

just a strange end

• Options
    the red card was justified.
    It does not quite matter whether the italien was hurt or not, the very act was not acceptable.
    Again, it is sad!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    To be fair to the Italian that was a full on headbutt - you can excuse him going down after that one. I've taken plenty of elbows from centre forwards over the years but that was one of the worst things I've seen on a football pitch - Duncan Ferguson got sent down for less.
  • Options
    so is there to be a hate campaign aimed at Buffon for running up the pitch to round on the ref to look at the Zidane incident ?

or Lippi for haranging the 4th official ?

BBC didnt seem to pick up on that

• Options
    Zizou deserved everything he got. Inexcusable from a genuine superstar, but he has now paid the price for damaging France's chances of winning the World Cup and going down as one of the three or four greatest players in the history of the game.

Maye not the time and place for this, but I can only guess Materazzi said something racist
  • Options
    Zidane can't complain about the red card. The whole incident was still a farce though. An incident that summed up the Italians nicely.

Will be good to see what happens tomorrow for Italian football, could be a very strange time for the Italians.
  • Options
    I'm a Man Utd fan - bring on Gattuso. Or even, dare I say it, Vieira
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Read somewhere else that Matterazi is supposed to have called him a terrorist - it's 2nd hand info make of it what you will.

I don't know Buney - I'm generally against people surrounding the ref but that was an assault - I think a player doing that in the Premiership would face a police enquiry - I mean Bowyer did last season for far less.
  • Options
    im thinking of the backlash Ronaldo has had for getting a bit upset about Rooney grinding Carvalhos goolies!

and i dont disagree with the red card for Zidane -it was indefensible - am still puzzled by it tho

but i thinki said earlier - Shearer was quite keen for Rooney to "stick one on" Ronaldo when they get back to training so there is a very odd double standard about what is tolerated in football
  • Options
    I'm back!

Dodge - "Zidane can't complain about the red card. The whole incident was still a farce though. An incident that summed up the Italians nicely".

What the hell are you talking about? If you actually watch the game properly rather than keep all of the preconceived ideas you have about the Italians you might be able to see what's going on.

Anyway, it was fantastic. I was in the Piazza de Plebiscito (the main square in Napoli) with about 30 or 40,000 screaming Italians (and about 1,000 scooters). It was one of the noisiest things I've ever heard. Just after the penalties was amazing - thousands of scooters buzzing up and down every square piece of road and or pavement, waving flags and blasting airhorns - fantastic, and well deserved. The fact that I had £30 at 8/1 on Italy to win at the start of the tournament probably helped...
  • Options
    id did you actually see the footage of the entire incident including the lead up where the Italian player was busy tweaking his nipple? That would be what the hell I was talking about, sly fouls that provoke a reaction from the opposition followed by howls from the Italians. The reaction is then punished but not the provocation.

Italy played well for most of the first half but France had the best of the rest of the game and should have taken their chances and put the Italians away.