London Hydro Active Women's Challenge 5K

HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
Who's up for this great race this year?

Comments

• Me............i really can't wait!!!!!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    It'll be a local one for you!

The London Hydro Active is usually a family pinic for my partner's family, so it turns out to be a cracking day. And more or less all the runners in the family are competitive with each other!
  • my two younger sisters are running with me but we won't be running the same pace, I've done the training and I think I can beat them....hahahaha
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    What time are you hoping for and have you done this one before?
  • this will be my 3rd time doing this, its a great wee race, and the atmopshere is great aswell.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Karen,

3rd time for me as well! Hopefully it will be better than last year as we came down on Friday lunchtime and then started going round the museums.

I couldn't walk on the Sunday but somewho managed to get round in just over 30 min and was just over 5 min quicker than the previous year! Not sure where that run came from!
  • Hiya HY4,

Well done, its funny how you find the energy at the end, I done my 1st 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago and even though I was knackered at the end I managed a good wee spurt at the end, that really impressed me. I just hope its not as hot this year, last year it was roasting.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Before I ran this 2 years ago for the first time I spectated and that was really hot day.

I'm attempting to make sure that I go out for my runs after work especially when it's hot bearing in mind the weather for the previous years.

If it's really hot again this year I'm going to soak my baseball hat in water as I usually get to the start about 45 min before the off.
  • Hi,

Me also!... Does anyone know what the start time is as I can't find it on the web site?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    The previous years' it's started at 11 am. So I'm assuming it's the same time. However if you want to go for a time you need to be at the start area between 45 min to 1 hr before the start time!
  • 11am i think is the right time for the race to start
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    If the weather is anything like the previous 2 years I've done it there is a good chance it will be baking hot.
  • i done it aswell and i think it could be a roaster of a day,
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I know it's too early to look at the weather forecasts yet, however metcheck.com do some very accurate forecasts which also have the real feel temperatures for 14 days in advance.
  • part of me is hoping for a cool day as I have done a few runs this year in the heat and its knackering, but part o fme would like a nice sunny day aswell, as I`m doing the run with my cousin and my other hlaf,mum dad and brother and his family will be there and will be having a picnic afterwards, I don`t want much really do I
  • Thanks for all the replies.

Any other good tips for the day... as this will be my first ever race? Well, since doing school sports days anyway!
  • just take it easy at the start, specially if its hot even though its a 5km, and if there is water bottles at the side with only a bit of water out, use that water to pour over your head and back of neck if its hot, it really cools you down
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Karen,

My partner's sister is also runing along with some of her partner's family so we all have a pinic afterwards.

Jayne,

Another couple of good tips are to carry your own water. I know a lot of people say if you're properly hydrated you don't need to, however it can take 15-20 min to cross the start line and there is no shade at the start. You can get little bottles shaped like an O which do the job nicely.

Make sure you start right to one side and then you will only get jostled from 2 sides. Also if they have different areas to start in (how they did last year, sub 25 min, sub 35 min & slower people) make sure you start in the right area.
  • I just entered! Will be running for the Stroke Association.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I'm not running it for charity this year as I have my sights set on running a spring marathon and feel it's unfair to ask for 2 lots of sponsorship money so close to each other.

I want to make sure I get a good haul in for the marathon! Especially as I only intend to run a marathon just the once.
  • I was thinking about doing the marathon, I done a half marathon in dundee, I did enjoy it, but knackered after it.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    There is no way in this world you'll catch me entering the London marathon unless I get a GFA (Good For Age) time in my first one.

I would have to run it in 3hrs 45min and I think my predicted time based on the quickest race I've ever done is something like 4hrs 18. Off the back of my half last year I think the predicted time is about 5hrs 30min!
  • I would like to do it in a nice time, but at the end of the day, I would just be glad to get across the finish line, I have done the moonwalk twice now and that was bad enough, even though I was slightly quicker this year than last.................
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    That's the same with me. Just to finish is all I want, however the marathon I'm thinking of (Shakespeare in Stratford) has 2 cut of times. One of 2hrs 15min for 11.85 miles and then 6 hrs for the whole event.

So unless you do something like London where the cut of time doesn't come into the equation it is something to bear in mind.
  • very true, the thought of doing it scares me a little but the atmosphere will be tremendous, and that would keep me going
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I've heard that a fair few of the people who miss a ballot place in the FLM turn to Stratford as it's only usually a week after it.

I did pay close attention to the thread for the Shakespeare Marathon this year and it does sound as though it has a good atmopshere.

However a lot depends on me not going for a time in the Hydro Active and getting a good time in my half.

Although it will be one step at a time. Get the Hydro Active out of the way and have an injury free training. Then I can turn my thoughts to a good half marathon in October.

I have to say that for a 5k race the atmosphere at the Hydro Active is wonderful and to run in the same race as top international runners is brilliant!
  • I do agree about the atmosphere. Another good run with atmosphere is the Britsh 10k around the centre of London, it normally takes place the 1st Sunday in July. The atmosphere is brilliant, I`ve done that twice now and I`ll be doing it next year.
  • I'm planning on doing 100 miles for the Stroke Association, starting with this year's FLM and hopefully finishing with next year's. So this 5k is part of that *G*
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Rowan!

I know a lot of people change their name slightly when they want to raise shed loads of money and incorporate the fundraising website address as part of their forum name.
  • Yeah I should probably do that... (shame they don't do signature here...)