Options

London Hydro Active Women's Challenge 5K

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    My number arrived yesterday! (12598) Has anyone else got theirs?
  • Options
    Mine arrive yesterday aswell, my race number is 6585. We haven`t got long to go now.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Which band are you going to start in?

Last year I got to the front of the sub 35 min and got a really good start. I did the race in 30:11. This year I'm planning on starting at the back of the sub 25 min group.
  • Options
    I will be amongst that group aswell, hoping to do it under the 30 mins
  • Options
    mine arrived last week no' 4955 YAY!!!
    I'm hoping to run under 30mins.........hope the weather is going to be lovely.
  • Options
    Hello all, I also received my number last week but was a bit alarmed to get an email newsletter from them yesterday which said that the pack will include your timing chip! I have run this race twice before and we have never had chip timing, but what's worrying me is that my pack was torn at the corner so it could easily have fallen out! Has anyone else received a chip in with their number?
  • Options
    erm no... just a magazine and a runner number
  • Options
    That's spooky - within ten minutes of posting this, I received another email saying that they made a mistake, timing chips are NOT included as the race is not officially timed. So no need to panic, sorry!
  • Options
    yeah........i got the email as well I was like 'wo spooky'
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide between the back of the 35 minute group or the front of the last wave... I'm sort of on the border!
  • Options
    We will all do well on the day, I don`t think it matters which group that you start running in, as long as you get across the finish line, and I know that most of us would like to complete the run by a certain time. I have done quite a few runs for charity and this one has the best goody bag at the end aswell, and thats a nice wee treat when you have finished the run.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Rowan,

I reckon it may be an idea to start somewhere in the middle or towards the front of the sub 35 min group.

You'll always get people walking no mater where you start and other's zipping past you.

Last year Chris (my partner) counted about 4-5 starting hooters. And when I finished with a clock time of about 35 min and an actuall time of 30 min there were still people waiting to start. So if it's a really hot day bump yourself up a bit in terms of where you start. If you haven't done the race before there is absolutely no shade at the start.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look at a long range forecast and the weather looks surprisingly cool (21C).

Lets hope it stays that way and doesn't get as hot as it was last year.
  • Options
    This all sounds pretty hectic ! - 4 to 5 starting hooters, So this is not the race to go for a PB in hahaha !!
  • Options
    This is going to be my first race too.

I'm going to go for the sub-35, but bearing in mind I have been suffering a cold for the past 2 weeks and haven't even looked at my trainers, let alone put them on, I'm not sure I should be setting my sights so high!

I really really really need to get back out there.

I had only just managed to get up to 12 mins x 2 without stopping before I caught this cold and that still only took me up to 3.5K.

Must must MUST get a run in this week.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Denise,

Each year so far I've been 5 min quicker. The first year I did it in 35:24 and last year 30:11.

So you can get a PB. I think the trick is to get as near to the front of the sub 35 min band or at the back of sub 25 min group.

Bourne,

Don't worry too much. If you're under the weather with a cold take it easy.

It sounds like you're following the programme I did the first year I did this race. I'm not sure if you run at the weekends or not, however if you do it may be an idea to do 12 min x 3 this weekend and if you can get out for a run this week just do the 12 min x 2, if not then try and make the weekend run. Then next week if you're feeling a bit tired from the run at the weekend go for a run on either the Tuesday or Wednesday (12 min x 2) and nothing until the race.

If you can manage the 12 min x 3 I think you will have covered very close to 5k or a tiny bit over 5k
  • Options
    Thanks Denise, that's good advice.

I'm hoping to get my butt out of bed in the morning and try the 12 x 2 and then will try the 12 x 3 at the weekend when hopefully I should be a bit more chilled out. I just hate running on the roads. I always feel really self-conscious

Will try and squeeze in a couple more of runs next week too.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Bourne,

Did you mean to say HY4 instead of Denise?

If you are feeling half with it or even 3/4 with it please don't try to compenstate for the missed runs. See how you feel after the 12 x 3.

I think it will take a bit out of you so it may be an idea to do the 1 run next week (any day between Tuesday and Thursday). Then rest up for the race.

The more chilled you can be after the 12 x 3 the better I think you will feel.

Don't worry about feeling self conscious. I've got stick like legs and run in dark coloured tights and get a few comments about my legs!
  • Options
    My best mate has now entered thru` one of the charities, and is a bit worried about doing it now, cause she has not done any proper training for the run, but she`ll do fine, my cousin will be ahead of the 2 of us, but I`ll be sticking with my mate as she is doing the run in memory of her nan.
  • Options
    Sorry HY4, I'm not quite with it at the moment!

I'm hoping that it stops raining so that I can go out tonight although it doesn't look too likely at the moment. I'm starting to beat myself up about it now and the worse I feel about not getting off my ass and going running, the less I want to go out.

The problem is also that I've signed up for the RunLondon and a Cancer Research 10K on the 8th and 15th October.

I'm hoping that the Hydro Challenge will give me the incentive to get back out there on a regular basis, but at the end of the day, no-one can make me do it but myself.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Bourne,

I was in a similar position earlier on in the year.

Last year I thought that if I entered a race which was this February it should give me the incentive incentive I thought I would need to train over the winter.

Some of us are fair weather runners and it would have taken a lot of motivation for me to have kept running over last winter. I was also injured through building up the distance too quickly.

I also beat myself up with the lack of running then when I met up with a friend from another forum who has breast cancer it put my running problems into perspective and I've been more chilled since.
  • Options
    Bourne,

You`ll be fine doing the runs one after the other. I had completed 4 runs on the trot and I defo don`t class myself as a good runner, I was just grateful to complete the 4 of them and was able to raise money for my nominated charities. I`m doing the runlondon one aswell are you running for north or south, I`m the south.
  • Options
    HY4, well, I did it. I went out last night, planned my route and ran the first 12 without any problems, walked for 2 and then ran again. The problem was that I was supposed to run another 12, but was back at my front door in 10....

Anyway, just under 4K in 25 minutes and I know that I could have done a bit longer. I'm not going to beat myself up about that though because doing 12 and 10 is better than not doing any at all.

I'm going to go out on Monday morning and try and do the full 12 x 2.

I think I started off too quick as well. I've got quite long legs so I find it hard to go slow and constantly have to remind myself to slow down, conserve a bit of energy for the later minutes, but my legs just seem to speed up all on their own!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Hi KK, I'm running for the South as well (I live in Kent).
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Bourne,

If you can do just under 4k in 25 min what are you worried about!?

I've looked back at the training I did for the 1st year I did the Hydro Active (or Flora Light as it was then) and I did 2.83 miles (4.55K) in 33:03 as my last long run before the race. I went onto complete the race in 35min 24secs. I complete the event that year with the stragety of run 15 min walk 1 x 2 then run to the end.

A little tip for going slow try walking your normal speed for a mile then try a plodding speed which you think is just quicker than your walking speed! You would be surprised at the difference! My walking speed is about 15 min miles and my slowest plodding speed is about 13min 45secs.

I am very pleased to say that my friend has recently had an mri scan and that has come back in the clear!
  • Options
    HY4,

That good news about your friend, I`m pleased that everything is ok
  • Options
    I'm not particularly worried about the 5K, its the 2 10K's I've signed up for!!

Great news about your friend HY4, I'm really glad to hear it!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Bourne,

You will be fine. Take your time with the training. I had a huge problem earlier on in the year with training for a 10k and in the end had to keep the 2 weekday runs to just 15 min each and for the long run each week this was increased by something like 15 min each week because I was up to 15 min run 1 min walk.

So in your case try and increase the long run by 12 min each time.
  • Options
    That's a really good idea. I'm following the Cancer Research training plan and ran for 20 mins non-stop last night (well, more of a jog really) and tomorrow's will be 10run/2walk x 3 and I'm going to use Sunday's 5K as my long run (which technically should be 20run/3walk....) oh well.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Bourne,

Sounds okay to me.

What I haven't mentioned about my 10k was my partner did it with me. He did about 2 5k run/walk training runs.

He ended up plodding more or less 20 min walking 2 min and we got round in 1hr 24.

Training plans aren't set in stone and there is a knack to modifying them to suit yourself. I've found that with the knowledge and support on here I can play about with 5k programmes very easily. 10k is a bit more hit and miss, especially when I have to modify it. However with the half marathon I'm training for I'm having to heavily rely on the knowledge from hear.

The training section is a brilliant place for advice like that and not intimidating either.
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

Has anyone else here won a place in this race through the competition on this site? I got my pack through this morning!! All a bit last minute really. All quite exciting, although I now have to try and convince and friend to come with me and mind my bags. Such a shame they don't have supervised baggage places.

This will be my first 5k race - did my first ever race (a 10k) 11 days ago. The London Pride run was great fun, and a really friendly environment. This should be a good "test run" for Run London in October too.

I know I can easily run 5k in less than 25 mins in training. Even though I don't have a PB for a 5k race (as apposed to training run), should I still try to get in the sub 25 min group?