Options

London Hydro Active Women's Challenge 5K

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Debbie,

Off course start in the sub 25 min group.

You know you can do it so you are just giving yourself the best chance of achieving it.

Looking at the previous 2 years results if you can get round in between 23-21 mins you stand a fairly good chance of getting into the first 100 runners.

I will give a word of warning celebs will be starting in front of you who may be slower than you and some people may not be fair about their start position.

Last year I started at the front of the sub 35 min group and someone in front of me was walking within the first couple of minutes. It didn't look as though they were injured either!
  • Options
    Thanks HY4. It sounds like it'll be a great day.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I'm anxiously watching the weather at the mo as the people I'm going with are having a picnic after.

It's forecasting rain at 6 am and what seems like windyish conditions at noon.

I'll try and post something a bit more detailed on Friday.
  • Options
    I'm frantically trying to work out how I'm going to get there!! The trains between Euston and Northampton are really distrupted this weekend - it may be that I'll have to catch a bus replacement service at 6:45am just to get there in time! I'm also looking at the left luggage at Euston Station, in case I can't convince a friend to come with me and look after bags and stuff (not looking good for that at the moment...). Still, I'm determined to do all I can to get there - especially after being lucky enough to win my place. It could tip it down, and I think I'd just be grateful to be there (complete with waterproof running jacket, of course)!!
  • Options
    will there be a baggage area?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Kit,

There's no baggage area but there is a changing area.

Debbie,

Have you looked into staying at a travel lodge or travel inn in London the night before. I come down from Nuneaton and we usually stop in a hotel near Hyde Park. The prices have ranged from £22 per night to £100 per night (that wasn't for something like a travel lodge).

I think there's something like that in Earls Court. Also London City and Beckton have a couple of cheaper hotels.
  • Options
    Thanks for the idea, HY4, but I have two lovely dogs here at home so an overnight stay really isn't an option as there's nobody here to look after them.

I know that travelodges accept dogs, but not unattended in rooms which is where they'd have to be during the race.

Racing with them.......would be utter chaos lol!!
  • Options
    Good luck to all on Sunday!

I shall be plonking myself at the back of the sub-35 group and hoping that the extra padding on my feet is going to stop my orthotics from rubbing like they have done on my last 2 runs (I know, you should never try something new on a run....).

I'll be wearing a Guide Dogs for the Blind running shirt too which has got a big superman-style "S" on the front! Look out for me!!

Good luck again and report back on Monday!

B
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the route - is there a hill?
  • Options
    I think Hyde Park is fairly flat anyway, but if there is a hill it will only be a slight one.

Good luck!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Denise,

There is a slight incline at the finish. As you turn the last corner there is an upward slope until you cross the line.

The thing to be careful of is the speed bumps. The first year I did it I completely lost my stride going over one and nearly fell over.
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone doing this on Sunday! I'm really looking forward to it, did it last year and it was a great atmosphere.

Just wondered what people think in terms of where I should start....my PB for 5k is 28 mins but I feel I can beat that in this race. Should I put myself in the 25 mins and under section? I'm just thinking that I might be slowed down in the 35 mins and under section.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Neems22,

Last year I started right at the very front of the sub 35 min section and there were people from the sub 25 min section who were walking before they had even turned the corner from the start line. So I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

I guess we ought to do a number list so that we can say hello if we spot someone:-

HY4 12598
  • Options
    Erm right, can you guys actually remember those numbers?!?

I'm the Stroke Association runner with lots of curly blonde hair. I have enough trouble with names without trying to remember numbers...
  • Options
    hello to everyone running this tomorrow. i have run it for the past two years and it is a great race. i am volunteering with macmillan this year; giving myself a year off!
    good luck all!
  • Options
    Just seen highlights are going to be on BBC2 around 5pm...
  • Options
    hiya
    my number is 6585 and i`ll be wearing a pink vest for against breast cancer.
    good luck all
  • Options
    I hope you all had a great day - I know I did!

Yes, it was a race-long battle, overtaking slower runners at the front...but I still got an ok time (24:23), had loads of fun and high-fived Paula Radcliffe (who'd doubled back to cheer people on) during the final k :-)

I'll definitely be back next year...and at the start line a good 1/2 hour earlier lol.
  • Options
    I ran this today. Great day, great atmosphere, saw myself on TV later on too...just a shame I knackered my foot half way round!
  • Options
    OMG it was a brilliant race, the atmosphere was fantastic and I'll definately take part again next year.

I managed to get a PB at 26min 55sec I'm a happy girl.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Debbie,

You luckly thing! High 5'ing Paula Radcliffe.

Running Mouse,

Hope your foot gets better soon.

Kit,

I got a pb too! 29min 53secs. And they say it's not a pb course as well!
  • Options
    Wow, PBs all round, it seems!

Running mouse - I hope they got your good side ;-)
  • Options
    I got a pb too! (sorry to hijack thread)
    Which is not that great.
    But it is my first ever race.
    I really fancy doing the Nike 10k as I will be back living in London in October.
    Do you think that I have time to get up to 10 from 5k? I have never run further than 5k...
    ejc x
  • Options
    Had a groovy time,Paula signed my medal....wahooo.I appreciate that with a race this size that it is going to be slow in places but when having to avoid walkers/people making phone calls/texting on the running side,it becomes a wee bit frustrating.This mere grumblie will not put me off doing it again as next year as I will try moving up a gear to a faster time start.All that said,a hearty congrats ladies,hope your day went safely and happily.
  • Options
    Morning all!

It was my first race as well and I stuck myself in the 35-00 pen but was really relieved when they moved everyone forwards!

I did a personal best of 33:33 which I was really chuffed with but am a bit ashamed of now!

I ran all the way too, which was another first for me (previous continue running record was 20 mins) and managed to keep going through the blisters on my insteps from my orthotics.

Apart from that, the walkers who didn't move over to the right and the woman who was in the front group with her 3/4 year old daughter who walked over the start line on her mobile, dragging the girl behind her shouting "I've just started the race", I really enjoyed it and will be back next year.

Eyes down for the NikeLondon in 4 weeks and 6 days.....

Well done to all!
  • Options
    Bourne, well done! 33.33 is nothing to be ashamed off, be proud! You did it and you're up for more!
  • Options
    Another enjoyable time at Hyde Park, I just love doing that 5km as the atmosphere is always brill, and I seen myself on TVv too, I`m now preparing for the Nike 10k in October. Well done all.
  • Options
    A PB for me too! 28.26 - wanted to get sub 28 and think I would have if I'd had a clearer run. But I'm pleased all the same! And well done to everyone else, a lot of PBs here! And Bourne, don't be ashamed, 33.33 is great stuff!

Wish I'd seen Paula, I'm sure she must have run back past me but I was concentrating too hard on keeping my legs moving!

GNR next, feeling scared!! Then the Nike 10k a week later - bring it on! :)
  • Options
    Well done all of you.

I went to the Joggers sub 35 by mistake, I shoulda been on the sub 25 zone....couldn't see the sign properly but i'm glad I ran ok.

Hated the hills!!!!! And I've never sprinted so fast towards the finish line....thanks to the sports drink!!!