ASICS 2110

On my second pair of 2110's & just like the first pair the upper seems to wear through very quickly over the big toe.

The fit of this model seems very similar to it's predecessors & I've not had this problem with other models/makes unless you really wear a trainer for 500miles plus.

The new 2110 seems thoug to be thinnning after 7 weeks, (about 100 miles - i alternate with a pair of Nike Air Cesiums - bought at trhe same tiem with no waer issues). My previous pair of 2110s lasted 4 months before the toes where popping out on both shoes.

Has anyone else noticed this with the newer version?

Comments

• Not yet. I thought the toe area was thicker with the 2110. My 2100 toe area went through after a while but in my view the new version seems better.
  • Mine went over the big toe after only two plods.
    I have only ever run in Asics & last week changed to sauncony.
    Looked at a few of the current Asics shoes & I don't know if it's just me being stupid(probably) but they do not seem to be as good a quality shoe as they used to be.
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    happened with my 2100 but not so far with my 2110

Asics say its never been reported to them as a problem

but other forumites have experienced probs with other Asic models
  • I have not noticed any problems with the toe area in my trainers. However have only been using them for roughly three and a half months.
    On saying that, whilst the 2110 is stated as being suitable for people with wider feet, I find that it suits me (and I have narrow feet) exceptionally well.
    This is because the ankle area is exceptionally neat and I find that having the extra area around the toes has stopped the toe ache and blisters that I was prone to on longer runs. I guess that also means (as I dont have wide feet), that there is less pressure/friction against that part of the trainer
  • Had it on my 2100s, worn through after a 16 week marathon programme and promptly binned after the race - holes over both big toes big enough for me to push my toe through.
    Didn't like the feel of the 2110s so now wear brooks. No problems since.
  • Exactly same happened to my 2090s. Decided to go with kayanos instead as they have an extra bit of leather over the problem area!
  • have 2100 with same problem. I am thinking of changing any ideas?
  • Never noticed it... I've done 680 miles in my 2110GT's and nothing worng with them. Must be the running style!
  • went through on kayanos very quickly but had no problems with 2110's

• seems like me some have bigger toes than the norm maybe? I've ordered saucony and will see how they do. have always used asics since took up the running xxxxx years ago
  • I also bought a pair of Nike Air Cesiums on teh smae day - they have done a near identical mileage with no issues.
  • I'm glad to know that i'm not the only person who has this problem. Never had a problem with my 2100 but had two pairs of 2110 and have gone through on both big toes. I think that i would like to try another make but am not sure what to try. My brother in law has just changed to brooks and says they're really good.
  • Just checked my pair of 2110's and they're beginning to go over the big toe area on one shoe after about 300 miles.
  • Hello boy wonder

Have you tried your saucony's yet?, how do they compare?
  • Don't know about boy wonder but my sauconys(omni grid 5's) are bloody lovely they are without doubt a better quality shoe,better fit & darn sight more comfortale.
    The support in them is better than the asics but does seem as harsh on the feet.
    I will not be going back to asics.
  • Hello Chappers
    This toe wear is a big problem for me. The heels also need resoling every two or three weeks and the shoes get big toe holes and junked after perhaps two months.

This is expensive and inconvenient - although the shop is picking up the cost of the constant resoling. Thanks guys.

However, I am not the only one with this problem in NZ.

Discussed this issue with them this week and shop has previously glued in a leather patch on the inside for other users and are currently doing the same for me. Hopefully this will give them a longer life span than that of a Mayfly.

I hope Asics read this.

They need to extend the upper leather back to where they expect the base of the users toes to be and not just have a thin decorative bumper strip in the front (in case you stub your toe).

They also need to find a much harder rubber sole.

It might also help if they brought out a 5E, that might allow us to buy a slightly shorter shoe and still get the required width.

Unfortunately, no other brands seem to bring in 4Es into NZ- so there is no alternative (and neither does Asic's agent bother to bring in a 4E trail model).

However, it is not all bad - the 2100s and 2110s are very comfortable and have never given me blisters or caused other issues. I also like the fact that the 2110 toe box is slightly more rounded than the 2100.

Cheers

• YumsYums ✭✭✭
    my 2100 wore through
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a pair of 2110s that will get christened this evening. Think I'll clip my big toenails before I set out!
  • If only it was that easy Phil!
  • GOT A PAIR OF 2100S, MOST COMFORTABLE PAIR OF TRAINERS EVER, DONE A FEW HUNDRED MILES NO PROBS TO SPEAK OF.
  • TetleyTetley ✭✭✭
    My last 3 pairs of 2100s have been the best shoes I have ever bought - my big toe nail made a hole in the upper - but does with most running shoes - must be the way my toes behave when running
  • ...done about 250 miles in them now and no probs whatsoever.

Anyone tried the 2120 yet? What brief marketing spiel I've read about them suggest that the new midsole supporty type stuff provides a bit more cushioning. Might be worth a comparison before I decide on my marathon shoes.
  • Both mine went on my 2100's , but I've done a couple of hundred mile in the 2110's and nothing yet.

But if they do I'm going to Asics as this isn't acceptable
  • I've had three pairs of asics DS trainers. Nice shoes in many ways, but each pair has gone in exactly the same way, namely, the fabric coming apart and splitting across the toebox, where the shoe flexes. In each case the rest of the shoe is in good condition. I don't do big mileages. Seems to me this is a weak point in an otherwise good shoe.
  • I've had no problems with my 2110's yet. But my toe did wear a hole in my previous DS Tranier.
  • I have used 2090's, 2100's and 2110's and all have worn through in the big toe area. The only Asics I have had that didn't do this were the Kayano's but I stopped wearing these as they never felt right.
  • I've experienced same problem. 2100s went after 250 miles - and 2110s are going same way. Only in left foot. Thought it might be down to my running style - but seems to be a consistent problem with Asics trainers.
    I started running in Mizunos and moved to Asics to correct leg problems. I have to say the quality of build on the Mizuno was far superior to the Asics - but I feel dependent on them now.
    Am considering buying lighter 2120s - but going to go into my local runnign shop to see what the alternatives are.
    Am writing to Asics about this anyway.
  • On my second pair this year, both toes poking through on first pair within 250 miles. saved second pair for races only one toe breaking through within 100 miles. Will have to change to a different make of shoe.
  • Hi PhilPub - my 2120's have started to go through on both shoes after about 80 miles - so it doesn't look like Asics have done anything about this problem!