Options

Sunday Session 9th Feb

Laura L,
well done on your MP run yesterday, must admit I find these workouts tough to do (no wonder they feature so prominently in Frank Horwill's training schedule).

What: sauna
Why: Was going to x-train at gym but a bit knackered from yesterday so figured I'd go and sit in a ridiculously hot box for a while instead.
Last hard run: Yesterday
Last rest day: Today

Best of luck to all racing today.

Comments

• Options
    Sauna : now there's an idea, good one MM.

what : LSD on hills in the rain, which for me today can only be 1 hr or about 6.5 miles, not much but will be the longest run since early Nov.
    why: need to get time on feet, and yesterday was an aggressive 30min hilly fartlek on the dredtred
    last hard : yesterday
    last rest : Fri

wings on your heels you racers
  • Options
    Hello all

What: Couple of miles steady
    Why: Tired from yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    Hi all.

Arrived back from Las Vegas yesterday, after completing the marathon on sunday 2nd,and it was bloody awful,winds through the whole course, gusts upto 50mph on some parts,slowest marathon on record with winner coming in at 2.33.33.

I was hoping for 3.15 but got 3.30 and was dissapointed but know thinking about the conditions this was a very good time, and I knocked off 47 mins from last marathon.

What: Nothing
    Why: Only got back yesterday so will start afresh tomorrow.
    Last Hard: Sunday 2nd
    Last Rest: Even though I have not run since last weekend I have been up and down the strip god knows how many times, so today will be complete rest.

I will be putting full race report on Events

Speedie
  • Options
    What: Easy 90 mins sand dunes / beach / cliff paths - may have an hour or two on the bike this afternoon
    Why: to get yesterday's 85 miles on the bike out of my legs.
    Last Hard: Yesterday - 'cos it was so windy.
    Last Rest: Thursday
  • Options
    Wow speedie, well done
  • Options
    Well done Speedie. 47 minutes off your best is some going. I saw the profile and I think Las Vegas is a pre-dominantly downhill marathon. Is that correct?

Well for me my Long Sunday runs have been abandoned as I'm no longer training for a half or Full marathon (knees can't handle it). So it'll be 10K later on today on a favoured route to see what my speed is like. I'll be happy inside 49, very happy inside 48 and gutted if I take more than 50 minutes.
  • Options
    Hello folks.

What: Tearing out hair trying to get urgent replacement for full-to-bursting fridge-freezer which has conked out overnight and is too old to be worth repairing. Seething with irritation over twittery girl in Sunday Times saying that on the day she woke up with M.E. her legs felt as if she'd run a marathon - how would she know? Might manage to fit in BodyPump and a swim this afternoon.
    Why: Cos it's just one of those days.
    Last rest day: Friday.
    Last hard day: Yesterday's long run. After measuring some of the stretches of road in the car, I've worked out that it was 11+ rather than 10+ miles. My legs feel fine today.
  • Options
    10 miles
    2 hours
    phew
    Thats 29.35 miles this week, squeezed into 5 days
    rest day tomorrow
  • Options
    afternoon all. well done Speedie. Superb effort. I'll have a read of the report later.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my knee injury yesterday. This morning it felt ok after a 4 day rest, so with new shoes on board i decided to risk a short run. Sucess. 1 mile on treadmill. very slow in 10mins but that doesn't matter. A little sore during but more importantly NO PAIN at all after.

So, it seems i'm back. 9 weeks to FLM and hopefully should be ok. That was the most satisfying mile run since Christmas. Will take it nice and steady, so as not to rush.

I used to think the issue with shoes was a little over hyped but not now. Got to get the right ones.

Cheers

Paul.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all!

Hope all those racing today have good runs!

Speedie-excellent run and even more so with the conditions you describe. You should be proud of knocking so much off your marathon time and no doubt next time at the distance, conditions allowing, which is a chance we all take, you'll get that desired time! Enjoy a good rest now!!

What:21 miles over a very hilly route in slower than marathon pace 8.10min miling
    Why:went for time on feet and not feeling 100% at the moment. Motivation wasn't great on this run, had to keep telling myself to stop being negative. Just one of those runs!
    Last hard:today
    Last rest:active rest day yesterday
  • Options
    afternoon everybody -

well done Speedie - great result!

well done on your marathon pace runs, Laura and MM.

sfh legs - hope the long run goes OK.

hilly - well done for getting out there and doing the 21 when you're not feeling great.

just a quick post to say I've just got back from Wokingham 1/2M and I did 1:18:10 which I'm very pleased with, having not even tapered properly and having had a lousy last three weeks - so maybe I have Frank to thank for it after all, cos it actually felt easy :-) race report follows after shower and carbohydrates. PS. looked out for forumites all over the place, couldn't spot anybody.
  • Options
    Sounds like great performances Achilles, Speedie. Will go to race reports later.
    Also well done Hippo for getting all those miles in against the odds this week.

what: 1 hour run on new route
    why: today's long run day, but didn't fancy a 75-minute slog to Caldy & back. In any case, question marks over the "usual" schedule this week. Various events may mean I have to jettison tomorrow's rest day.

last hard day: Fri
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

Cleared up beautifully this morning so was able to enjoy an outing in bright late winter sunshine. Almost a suggestion of spring in the air - albeit still very distant.
  • Options
    Well done all, and super run Speedie with awful conditions, a PB by 47 mins is to be proud of.

What: 18 miler, 3 times round our local 10km, long uphill slog on the southern side, welcome downhill on the other half of the loop. Pushed the ups, relaxed on the downs, pushed hard on the 3rd lap to home, felt great. Tired but elated.

Last rest: Thursday
    Last hard: today
    Next: easy 10km tomorrow.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. And well done everyone!

What: Bit of a dabble at the gym.
    Why: Knee rest, but realised I wasn't really resting, so knocked off early.
    Hard: Thursday.
    Rest: Yesterday.

Hmm - nap now.
  • Options
    Won't be able to post the next couple of days due to work commitments, have to go present some briefings. Back Wednesday eve.
    Planned training: Mon easy 10km, Tues 10km starting easy finishing fast, Wed, another 10km but this one fast pace.
  • Options
    What: Penultimate x country at Esholt, 4 miles or something I dunno. Was Rright at the back organising the children when race started so played catch up for most of the race, finished down a place in third, enjoyed the mud though.
    Last Hard:Friday
    Last easy:Saturday.

Off for a swim this evening
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Achilles on a great race time!

Monique-another great performance, well done!
  • Options
  • Options
    Afternoon all!
    Well done on the PB Speedie

What: rest
    Why: had thought of doing 3mi recovery but decided instead to rest. Legs feel remarkably OK after yesterdays 18miler, but its still my highest mileage week ever - 37mi. I'm really pleased with that and don't want to push it too much
    Last rest: Thurs
    Last hard: yesterday
  • Options
    22 miles in the wet and wind, most of the club are doing less so I was out on my own except for my running buddy John who isn't even doing the marathon this year but decided to keep me company! What a star :-)

Steady eight minute miling, but disappointed with the pace but I'm more consistent than this time last year when I blasted it to start with and died a slow death over the last ten miles. I finished strongly today in about 7:40 for the last mile. Looking good for FLM, I just wish the damn thing would hurry up and get here, these long runs are getting on my nerves!

Well done to all on their runs, especially Speedie on the PB.
  • Options
    Woah! 47 mins of previous marathon time. Speedie - respect due!
    Well done. Inspirational I'd say, and I'll be reading your report later.

What: 10mi
    Why: the odd twinge meant I felt wiser in holing off the 13 miles I intended to do.
    Last rest: y'day
    Last hard: Wednesday
  • Options
    Speedie - that's one heck of an improvement, well done

Hippo - those miles are creeping up steadily. I think I'd have given up if I had to fit running in around a silly hours job like yours.

Achilles - great result; somehow I have difficulty putting 'felt easy' and 'half marathon' in the same sentence!

What: Slow 15 miles in the drizzle, mostly off road on slippery, muddy tracks. Ok so it took around 2.50 but I felt sooooo much better than last weeks fairly abysmal 12 miles that I really dont care.

why: needed to boost confidence after slump in training performance

last hard: Friday
    last easy: rest yesterday
  • Options
    Speedie, congratulations on your 47 min pb.

What Wokingham half 1hr.28.48, steady running.
    Last easy: yesterday slow 14
    Last Hard: Friday 16 x 440yds 45 sec recs - av. 90 seconds
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Some impressive running going on today guys, well done everyone!
  • Options
    I like logging on late, and reading what everybody else has done on rest days. What a lot of stars: Hilly, Speedy, Ind-ian, not to mention Hippo and all fitting in the miles. I meant to remember all, but I'd have had to take notes. Bravo all.

What. "rest" aka two wandering about the sailing club grounds picking up a revolting lot of rubbish piled there by the floods. Two rubbish sacks, two wheelbarrows full of sticks, branches and burnable flotsam, four builder's sacks full of pollarded branches and three muddy wet hours later home by train.

Back on chemicals. I think it is the right decision. Who knows. Try without again in a few weeks time.

• Options
    Well done guys!

What - yesterday: 5 miles easy
    today: 9.5 miles hilly on the lanes, easy 8 minute miling

Why: playing catch up - thats my longest run since mid december and its only four weeks to Reading. Still, 22 miles run this week, which is 5 miles less than my total for the whole of Jan.

And what a wonderful, sunny day - there is something about running along watching the buzzards soaring and sorting out their territories that makes me feel "on top of the world". Now if only I can get my body back in tune with my mind, I'll be sorted!
  • Options
    nice easy 5 miler with new (first) HRM - according to HRM i'm dead so must read the manual again...

I say nice & easy actually it was a PB for route...

why: getting back into it - biking all week meant i only trained once since the grim
  • Options
    What- 10+ miles
    Last Rest - Yesterday (not really resting is it when you go to London on a coach trip, shop all day, dine out, see Phantom of the Opera and don't get to bed until 1.50am)
    Last Hard - Today (it was hard just to get started)

This week I am going to do better - got mileage up to 36 miles last week. Aiming for 40 this week.

Well done everyone who posted- you're all stars.
  • Options
    It's good to hear of all the hard training being done & the fine racing.

Today's training 2 X 8M steady one am & one pm.
    Both felt really easy the first being xc & the other road. It's a bit worrying feeling so good after yesterday's 22M. Which I've just worked out is my longest run for over two years.
    This gives me encouragement for next weekend when I'm back to back racing. XC Saturday & Dover 1/2 Sunday, I'm not sure how hard I'll push the 1/2 though.

Last hard: Thur
    Last rest: Fri
    Just over 70M for the week
  • Options
    The boys and gals done well today...
    What: 14.5 miles at Marathon pace
    Why: My friend made me
    Last hard: yesterday: 10k in 43
    Last easy/ rest: Thursday

Felt it big time today. This week's training has been hard work following Watford 1/2 last Sunday. But it's done, and I've just had a lovely lunch, and it's all worth it!