Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• It lost me 30 minutes in loo qs at FLM this year
    grrrrrrr
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    GBM - "Daz won't do it because it might be too hot."
    I admit I cried off the Offerton 10k for pathetic (nay, spurious) reasons, but IF I do this marathon it will be my first, so I won't have to worry about the heat, as I will be setting a PB no matter what!

"Did you used to play football for The Spread Eagle pub?"
    Is this another Disley/New Mills "in joke", because I have no idea why you would ask this?

PH - re The Smiths, this is virtually word-for-word what I said during my initial interrogation - well said!
  • Daz--I did my first marathon in April (FLM). I recommend you do one, just for the amazing sence of achievement you get afterwards.
    I look forward to meeting you at the Stockport 10. It's in December, so it will cold.

Daz--Re-The Spread Eagle pub. When i arrived at the race last night i met a lad who i used to play football with years ago for The Spread Eagle pub in Northernden. (You might know it, its not too far from you. Horrible pub!!!!!) (I do have a tendency for 'putting my foot in it' with some of my comments on these threads, so i apologise if you are the Landlord of The Spread Eagle and, if you are, i would just like to say what a brilliant pub it is!!). Anyway, it wasn't until later that i remembered my old footballing friend was called Darren and that he could be you.

Morticia--That's two-nil to The Alarm!
    GBM - COLD in December you say? I might have to reconsider my Stockport 10 entry then. As you know, I will only race if there is zero chance of precipitation, the wind speed is between 5-10 mph, the temp is between 12-18 degrees, I am completely injury-free and I have not coughed even ONCE in the previous 48 hours. (oh, and my shoes need to be worn-in, but not worn-out)
    Anyhoo... A Marathon... You see, I'm not convinced that I'm really cut out for LONG distance running. I'm 6'1", wide-framed 14st, and up to now I've been quite happy with my "long" run being 5-6 miles.

I did the Wilmslow half-mara in March, the training for which went quite well - I built up to a 12 mile run which indicated I could finish the HM in about 2hrs5mins, but I had a really bad day on the day of the race, finished in 2hrs15mins and, although I managed it with NO WALKING, I haven't really felt much of a feeling of achievement from it.

I am now giving it another go by training up for another HM in Sept/Oct - if that goes well, and I can get close to/break 2hrs, and I feel comfortable on my 10-12 mile training runs, then I think I WILL enter a marathon. Otherwise, I will bow to the inevitable, and stick to 10k and the occasional 10 mile...
  • aaaaaaaah, no daz
    you have to expereince marathon at least once
    PH - In the words of Sylvester Stallone as Judge Dredd "I knew you'd say that!"

The thing is, I'm a bit of a "NO WALKING" freak, and if I didn't think I could get round 26 miles without walking, I wouldn't be able to approach the start line.
  • morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    GBM- I'm going to have a look on the Wilmslow half results for clues........
  • Daz
    you damn well have to divest yourself of the no walking thing
    how will you do ultras?
    PH - "ultras" oh no! I hadn't thought of that!

(No, really, I HADN'T THOUGHT OF THAT!)
  • obvioulsy not straightaway

also
    maras are unpredicatble beasties
    i dont hink you can guarantee anything about them
    I'm not expecting a guarantee (look at Paula Radcliffe!), but I would have to feel pretty confident within myself (e.g. would've had to complete a 20 mile training run WITHOUT WALKING).
  • FLM this year was my first marathon and I said it would be the last. Then did the Blackpool Marathon in June, which I said would be my last. I have entered this one, which will most definitely be my last, probably.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Boinged for tillybud
  • Am up for this love the lake district do the conniston 14 every year does anyone know how hilly or not this race is??

if anyone is intrested am organising a 15k in the peak district in september hope you good people don't mind me saying this e-mail me for details
    micktherunner@aol.com
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Not sure how hilly this is, but have spoken to a couple of people who reckon it may be nearly 26 miles around Windermere, in which case there will be little scope to deviate from the flat. Having said that, you don't need to stray too far in this part of the world before you start to climb some steep hills! Maybe further details will emerge in the coming months.
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Spoke to a colleague at work today who has spoken to his mate who has run this marathon three times (obviously not recently!) In his words, the first 10 miles are 'undulating' but overall uphill, followed by 16 'undulating' miles downhill. The runner in question ran his best ever marathon time over this course, so unless he was in the habit of running Langdale, Snowdonia etc, I think we can safely assume that this is not 'hilly'.
  • Err... don't want to disapoint anyone, but the blurb I've got describes this as 'one of the most challenging courses in the UK'.

And the winning time in 1986 when it was last run was 2:28 (the women's time was 3:02) which would hardly be indicative of an easy course.
  • ...but I'll be doing it anuway....
  • Just found out about this event.

Count me in!

Looks like a fab course.
  • Hope I'm not tempting fate by entering this online so early. Like a few others, plan to do this and the White Peak Marathon the day before for an enticing looking 'double'!
  • got a good run in sunday 10 miles not ran this far for about 2 years should be ok for may hopefully
  • grecian - i'm hoping to do those two too!
    Don't get next years work rota until December though :o(
  • BIR - I've done the WPM for the past two years and I think it's absolutely wonderful. Never done the Windermere Marathon when it was previously held (or even been to Windermere before!), but it looks like another on with breath-taking scenery to take your mind off the hills.

Both of these will make an interesting challenge. Plenty of time for hill-work and endurance training though!
  • Oops, I seem to have entered this one. I was contemplating a spring marathon, as long as it was near home...
    I live near Cambridge.
    Damn.
    Daz, this will be my 3rd marathon, I'm 14 stone too, but 5ft 8, so definitely not built for running either.
    Do it.
    Hippo, you doing Anglesey again?
  • I'll be doing this one. I can drive there and back from where I am... no overnight stay which means I can prepare properly.
  • Sadly I'll be preparing in a brewery. Will I resist?
  • looks like a familiar crowd!

Saw this and thought 'oh yes'.

Saw the date and thought 'oh no, same weekend as WP' which is already a defo.

Thought 'I wonder, do a double?' The thought 'sod it, if Morticia can, so can I!'

BIR? hehe, I know you're thinking about it!!