Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Don't worry, our team will be miles behind the horses after my first leg!
  • I suppose it IS in Wales
  • Mort - still not found out when Draycote is. You coming along then?

And I like your plan for the big weekend. Especially the beer bits. I've already pencilled in the Monday as holiday (for combined hangover/can't walk recovery), although I've got no idea where I'll be working at the time.
  • Flanker- That's the spirit! Hipps can follow your example as she doesn't know about work either. Sod work- ring in sick if necessary- noone will tell.

Hipps has mentioned Draycote and Howfar? mentioned cake so I'm tempted. It's likely to be too soon after T2T though isn't it? I'm on holiday from the 7th of Feb or thereabouts for a week so I might not be able to do it anyway.

Daz- 22 miles is not 26.2. Therefore it is just not long enough.
  • DOING THE DISTRICT DOUBLE

Flanker
    Blue Ice Rhino
    Hippo
    Morticia
    GBM

Sssssshhhhhhh- don't tell him. If GBM's name stays on the list for at least a month then he HAS to do them!
  • Draycote is 35. Last year it was early feb, so you might escape! It is a bit close to T2T, but on the other hand it will help take the fitness (ahem!) forward to May!

info will be on http://www.krrac.info/ (hopefully!)

Ashby 20 & Rhayader 20 (sp?) are back-to-back in March which would be a good training weekend. And an excuse for some beer.
  • marathon - schmarathon!

I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Have decided that 26 miles is FAR too far to run - it can't be good for you. Have had re-fuelling issues on my last 2 runs of 12 miles and half-mara and have decided that trying to bridge the gap to 26 is not something I want to attempt.

Will stick to 10M and Half-Maras :o)

and yes, I know I'm a wimp.
  • Correction- 'Will stick to 10M and Half-Maras and fell races :o)'
  • So not that much of a wimp then!

• morticia - fell RACE (singular). I can't imagine I will be making a habit of such lunacy.
  • But what about your shoes? How are you going to get 500 miles wear out of ONE RACE. (Or are you thinking of doing some REALLY serious training?!)
  • Just sent off my entry form for this as my first ever marathon.

Anyone know how quickly they send confirmation, or if you have to wait for a ballot?

Stupid question, but as I say, Im new to this distance!!

Oh yeah, can I repeat PH's question about a cut-off time? Im hoping to break 5 hours, but Im worried that the others doing this race will be more your experienced marathoner.
  • Don't know about confirmation times but Scott (race organiser) said nothing about ballots when I spoke to him last week. As a new race, I'm confident this will be very much a 'first come lowest numbered' event.

He also said nothing about cut-off times (but then I didn't ask!) but I can't imagine 5 hours being a problem. Without wishing to be rude or disrespectful, I doubt that we'll find many more experienced marathoners than PH and I think that I read on another thread earlier that her PB for the distance is 5:15 (or thereabouts) - there isn't necessarily a correlation between speed and experience!
  • m - I've been thinking of getting some trail shoes for a while anyway. they'll enable me to keep on doing my fave off-road training runs during the winter without having to worry so much about muddy conditions underfoot.

and there are plenty of undulating TRAIL races I might consider, without having to go the whole hog on silly hilly FELL races.

and yes, I will be training seriously for the FG ;O)
  • Don't know if anybody else has seen it but a description of the race route is now available on the event website.
  • hello

er, yes
    I have a new pb of 5.12-which was on a ROAD marathon

and it was a fluke
    I wopuld like 6 hours leeway for this really
  • oooh hang on
    this is on road too
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    oh well, that's done it. I'm in.

the dangers of online entry...

Just need to wait for the white peak forms now :)

C'mon Hipps - do the double!

• Planning to do this as a TrailWalker training run with the rest of the team ... c'mon, you peeps, where are you hiding?
  • i would like to know about a cutoff first

especially if i end up doing bloody white peak the day before
  • Hmmmm - Race Regulations make no mention of a cut-off, neither does the entry form.

Suggest an email to the organisers may be in order?
  • mmmmmmm
    I think i will do that
  • For those of you who do not know the location, do not be fooled by the somewhat 'understated' nature of the race route.

I love the comment about the finish...run up the drive to finish in front of Brathay Hall...this is a seriosuly steep finish at the end of a mara!!!

I am intertested in doing this but concerned about the roads...especially the section down to Hawkshead. Very narrow and windy...how will they cope with all the traffic???
  • I understand that the first section down as far as Hawkshead is to be closed. The lanes from there to Lakeside/Newby Bridge are relatively quiet and are to be signed to warn motorists of our presence. Experience suggests to me that, in general, once a motorist comes upon the first few competitors (at either the front or the back) they realise they're in for a slow journey and treat us with respect.

My greater concern is back up the main road on the other side of the lake. For this, I understand that temporary speed limits are to be in place.

The event organiser has said that they are buying in the services of a professional traffic management company to promote our safety on the day.

There's quite a bit of other stuff appeared on the website over the past week or so - worth a look.

As far as terrain goes - this is the Lake District - hills are a fact of life. Its not a desparately hilly route by local standards but its also a long way from flat.
  • Thanks Andy... Good to hear about the safety aspects. I agree that the run up the east side of W'mere will be of concern as it is a relatively small pavement and busy road.

I understand your comments about the hills...my parents live very close to Brathay Hall and I spent may happy summers there as a kid, plus did the Helvellyn Tri a few weeks ago. So I know all abotu them. However my comments were aimed slightly differently ...at the fact that (by any standard) the finish from the gate by the Dub to the actual hall is bl***dy steep at the end of a mara...everyone has been warned!! I take it as read that everyone knows this is n ot a flat course!!

I will have to think about this one!!!
  • Entered!
    Hope I'm as fast as you by then, Vrap!
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    CA, you doing it?

VRAP et al - doing RAWW again next year?
  • flanker - I intend/hope to. I'm going to get Abingdon out of the way then start looking seriously at plans for next year. Having now met the event organiser, and told him of my interest, its >90% certain I shall be there in one form or another.
  • Not sure about the RAWW, Flanker. It might be a little too close to TW, although if we don't race it and just do it as a nice final 42-mile walk before tapering it could be on the agenda ;o) What about you?

Heebie (and Racing Snake Boys, if you're lurking), "fast" will not be the objective. It'll be a team exercise.