Options

Can We Talk Diets

Comments

• Options
    I am as fat as ever
  • Options
    You are not fat Hippo. Fat is me. You are fine. But then that is my thoughts, we all see ourselves differently from what others see us as. And if we are not happy with our bodies then nothing anyone else says will help us.

I am heading for bed now. I know that if I don't go I will head to the kitchen stick some bread in the toaster and scoff so better that I don't as I really don't need it - want it yes - need it no.

So I will say goodnight Hippo and goodnight to anyone still on here.
  • Options
    Speedy G/Hippo - this is not helping Julie. I am two stone overweight but I am close to being happy. I know I am overweight because I eat more calories than I use blah, blah,blah.

The reason I am close to being happy is because I have spent a particularly gruelling 2 years learning who I am. I know it sounds lame but, have you tried counselling? It really helped me understand my misgivings about myself.

The more I enjoy being me the less I feel the need to punish myself with eating and drinking rubbish constantly. Try it. Ignore the food issue - tackle the emotional one -or it won't go away...you'll just replace it with something else if you ever find adiet that 'works'.
  • Options
    Boos b
    the wieght thing is the least of my worries

I wont go on abiout the other stuff
    but suffice it to say
    i have done 36 maras
    and speedy has fdone a load too
    i dont let my weight stop me form doing things

and yes, i am having counselling for the utter shite other stuff
  • Options
    I never EVER diet
  • Options
    at the end of the day-there is FAR more to worry about than being a size 16
    yes, i dont like it
    but ive lived with it for 14 years-and the other stuff is far, FAR more important
  • Options
    It was only and still is only me that is keeping me fat. Sorted any issues I had and I still ate. Why? Because I like food, I love chocolate and I just like eating. Sorry - no other reason. I just had to learn to control the intake.

Yes I can eat for Scotland, and yes the more my hubby says I shouldn't eat something the more I will eat it but that is just me being pig-headed nowadays.

Only I can do it, only I can lose the weight. And I will.

Sorry folks.

Really off to bed now.
  • Options
    Im off to bed too
    or i will rant all night
    and people will take no notice as usual

so

night
    good luck
  • Options
    Well you have done 36 maras more than me.

I am a lightweight in that department.

But it's important that you are a happy hippo :-)
  • Options
    I take notice Hippo - you know I do.

Night
  • Options
    I don't think I have emotional issues. H'mm, don't know though. What sort of person goes to the gym, or does a 30 minute run in the morning at 6.30am, has a healthy breakfast, packs a healthy lunch of home made soup followed by tuna salad, goes for a twenty minute walk in her lunch break, catches sight of herself in a shop window, doesn't like what she sees, then buys a packet of Minstrels and a Danish Pastry?

That was me yesteday.
  • Options
    Me everyday. I buy a slimmng mag, a bottle of diet coke and a bar of chocolate!!
  • Options
    Why did you call yourself Mad Julie?
  • Options
    Mad Julie sound like you said to yourself I am not worth it, why bother trying to get a bit slimmer and look better?

I have found myself in the past overeating when I am sad, happy, bored, upset, and so on....... a way of burying emotions? who knows?

Mostly now i eat when I am hungry, stop eating when I am full, don't eat food that doesn't taste that great, I am slightly overweight according to the scales but I don't care and am 90 percent happy with the way I am. I just wish I had this attitude when I was 20 years younger.

• Options
    I wanted to chip in with my experience. At my heaviest I got to over eighteen and a half stone (I'm 5 foot 9). I was a size 22, heading quickly towards 24. (And I was 26 at the time, I'd been fat since I was a kid).

I'd always known exactly what I needed to do to lose weight - exercise more and eat less, the key for me was finding the reasons why I didn't want to do it. I identified reasons why I felt more comfortable being fat and scared of being thin, and I dealt with them.

From there I'm one of those healthy eating/exercise people. I've never counted calories (although I do read labels to get an idea of what's in stuff before I eat it). Not that much of my food has labels any more, it's almost all home made stuff from fresh ingredients, but I'm far more clued up about nutrition than I ever was.

I'm not big on diets. I'm sure I could have lost weight on something like WW or SW, but the important thing to me is being able to keep it up. That meant I really took care to learn about the whole process rather than following someone else's rules. Because my eating habits aren't particularly structured, I just eat relatively healthy stuff and treats in moderation, it's hard for me to see anything as "falling off the plan", and I don't get discouraged and head off for a weekend long binge on chocolate and wine.

Over the past two years I've lost seven and a half stone, and I'm now hovering at about 11 stone, and a size 12. I stuck for a while at about 11 and a half, which I was happy with to be honest, and not motivated to put in hard work to lose any more, but then I started training for my first marathon and the extra mileage seems to have kick started my weight loss again.

I do think that I benefitted from never having really messed up my metabolism or attitude to food with a fad diet. Not that all diets out there are fads, but I really do feel that some of them do more harm than good in the long term, and even if you lose the weight you don't learn the eating habits that will help you keep it off for life.
  • Options
    Hear hear Yp1

Sort the head out, and the rest will follow
  • Options
    YP1 great post.
  • Options
    Yeah, spot on YP1 !!
  • Options
    Good one YP1. Makes sense.
  • Options
    YP1 you are brilliant, everyone on this thread who has lost a shed ful of weight is such an inspiration - you feel SO alone and isolated and think that only you has the feelings you have, i.e. feeling fat and fed up and then to read these threads is truly uplifting.

Thank you all for your time in replying to me, I've read and re-read eveyone's comments.

Mike Frogg, I have been called Mad Julie since I was at school, I used to do daft things like playing tricks on our form teachers and generally making a nuisance of myself. I just like having a laugh, really.

I think the general overall opinion of you all is 'eat a bit less and excercise a bit more and the weight will come off bit by bit' so thats what I will try and do. Trouble is, I want all the weight to just magically disappear all at once and not just go between one and two pounds a week.!!

Again, thanks to you all for replying

• Options
    Julie, sorry, reading that again I sounded a bit blunt! I'm in no position to quiz anyone about their strange forum name am I?
  • Options
    MJ - You hit the nail on the head there and like you I wanted all the weight to drop off at once. I was getting so cheesed off when friends around me were losing and doing bu&&er all exercise i was clocking up the miles and felt nothing was happening. Comments were made in the playground about my new skinny friends and I kept thinking - LOOK I'm losing too you know. Anyway as time went on with the running and weight training my shape really started to alter and now i have people telling me I have lost too much - can' win!!! I haven't by the way I suppose I just look different to how people were used to seeing me!
    I didn't do any diet programme - have in the past but wasn't in the right place psycologically to do it 'properly' Now I eat healthily and when I should. I never skip breakfast anymore and that's made a big difference.
    I have also found and I don't know if this is the same for others that the more I run and the more miles I build up to etc the less and less I want fatty food and alcohol as I see such an improvement in the running I want to get better and better at it.
    Not sure if this helps there is SO much good advice on here.

• Options
    Holiday lbs are coming off now that I am back on the healthy eating. Have lost 4lbs of the 10 I had put on.

Managed an 11 mile plod today as well so that should equal more lbs off hopefully. Garmin said 1526 cals used.

For years I put in the miles but never seemed to lose weight. At that time I was trying WW and SW as I said previously. Hubby just kept saying run more (I was doing 40 miles a week as it was) and you can eat anything you like.

He did not believe me that this didn't work for me.

Since changing my eating habits and getting back to running after giving up the lbs are now coming off again.
  • Options
    Mike Frog,

No offence taken at all, please, please don't think that for a minute, frogs are my fave creatures!

It IS a daft name but I've had it for years, someone even bought me a tee shirt with it on (never worn it outside my house ,but hey, the thought was there) !

The way eveyone is talking, it sounds as though slimming clubs are out,I've managed to eat healthily all weekend except for a few glasses of vino, but, as you all keep saying, no deprivation, or not much - I realise I can't keep pigging out on chocolate and Ben and Jerrys.

Ran/walked 50 minutes yesterday,

Strange, but this morning is the first morning I haven't woken up and thought 'Must, must do something about my weight' I feel that because you've all been so kind and helpful with the threads you've written that I've got so much support from you all.

Cheers everyone, have a good Monday!!
  • Options
    Have a good day Mad Julie. You are sounding positive this morning. Well done on the 50 mins yesterday.

• Options
    Thanks Speedy - I am running for 4 mins then walking for 2 mins -I'm trying to build up to running all the time but not fit enough yet.

Can't believe I ran the Wilmslow Half in 2003 in 2 hours 9 mins - wish I could do that now - that was when I weighed two and a half stone less.

I want to do better than that, if I can.

I think it beggers belief that you can start running at 11 and a half stone, hoping to get a stone off (ha ha) and end up three and a half years later weighing in at 13 stone 10 !! What happened?

One or two injuries, i.e. a torn calf muscle and shin splints in the early days- but I've never really stopped running - may left it a week or ten days. I think I got fed up when, returning to running with my friends after the injuries, I was, naturally, much slower than them because I hadn't trained (due to the injury). Instead of accepting this, I got all paranoid and started making excuses not to run with them. I do remember thinking - I will get fit and then go out with them but its never happened.

Wots the saying, if at first you don't succeed...........
  • Options
    Keep positive Julie
  • Options
    Ditto with Hipps.

Your doing well Julie and like Speedy says sounding really positive. Keep thinking that way. It's definately hard when all your pals are faster you feel like you are slowing them down and being a burden - one reason I didn't go back to the running club after 3 attempts I was sssssssooooo slow and just the warm up killed me. Not sure how I would get on now though - different coach so hopefully I won't feel so left behind.
    If you set yourself acheiveable milestones though and work towards them when you get there it is such a good feeling - but keep those milestones realistic.

• Options
    CeridwenCeridwen ✭✭✭
    I'm also too slow to join in with any group at my club at the moment. Therefore, I tend not to go on Mondays, when they go out along various routes, or if I do go I pootle around by myself but then join them in the bar afterwards. On Thursdays, I join them for speed training because everyone does it together; we all run as fast as we can, then stop when the first person reaches the target, return slowly to the start and repeat the exercise. This way I get some social interaction and encouragement, but don't feel uncomfortable about holding other people back or frustrated about tagging along way behind everyone else for miles on end.
  • Options
    Tehuti - Yes I guess for me it's a confidence thing I'm not great at meeting new people a bit shy shall we say and probably take things far too personally! Definatley considering it as although training well on my own that encoragement from other runners is a definate help!