Monday session 10 Feb 2003

Back on the virtual (and in some cases I'm sure actual) treadmill again. This weekends training was a bit odd - did two runs of, respectively 70 minutes and 50 minutes but felt really hard as running mostly across paths and tracks still covered with compacted snow (and in some cases untrodden snow). So come into Monday feeling a little tired of leg and (of course) sore of knee. 11 days to go to visit to doctor.

Today: Cross train - bike/row
Why: Two consecutive days running means sore knee.
Last hard: Saturday
Last rest: Friday

Comments

• Morning All

Today: Easy 3 Miles
    Why: Recovering from Sun's long run & more importantly running with someone I recently talked into taking up the sport
    Last Hard:Thurs
    Last Rest:Fri

Enjoy
  • Hey

What: 3 mile dash
    Why: Scheduled
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last Rest: Friday
  • Good morning.

What: Swim session today (training for London Triathlon). Swimming counts as a rest in my book as my left knee is complaining after yesterdays run.

Last Hard: Yesterday. 10K in 49minutes but Heart rate averaged 88% so I was working real hard.

Last rest: Saturday

• What: rest or swim
    Why: Cold brewing and pushed myself last week - and shedule says I can have a rest
    Last hard: yesterday 14.5
    Last easy: Thursday/ active rest
  • The weather forecast yesterday said the rain would clear in the morning. So I enjoyed a pleasant 70 minutes in cloud/heavy rain on a path that was mostly low friction mud wearing my road shoes. I believ this is part of the run PB does in the dark at 5am. Visibility about 150m, saw a few wet sheep, ponies, occasional walker, 1 other mad fool runner... Several reasonable hills and about 7.5miles, so a real slow run. Muscles fine but knee crocked (no twist just recurrence) and pains in the ilia (iliums?).

So now no alternative but to hang it all up for a while - may do 4 mile fun run next w/e for club but focus must be to avoid damage before skiing in 10 days time. Will reconsider exercise therafter, mid march 1/2M probably off the cards now.

what: rest - prob all week & next
    why: see above
    last hard : jan 26
    last rest : fri

<exits stage left, slightly hunched, black dog draped around shoulders>

"just going outside, I may be gone for some time"
  • Aaaaw, Ernie - if this was Triple F, I'd give you a big hug. But very sensible to do a bit of repair work now and make sure your skiing isn't disrupted.

Martin, you're still mad. But madness suits you.

What: It's supposed to be a rest day, but the sun is shining and work is quite quiet so I am Going Out later. Might walk, might run. Might do around 7 miles.
    Why: This is scheduled to be a running-intensive week. And it's nice to have some miles under the belt by Monday evening.
    Last rest day: Yesterday - only did weights.
    Last hard day: Saturday's long run.

• Morning All

What - 6 miles with hubby so it'll be faster than usual

Why - schedule

Last long - yesterday

Last Hard - yesterday

Last Rest - Saturday

Gotta rack them miles up!!
  • morning all

frost overnight, now melted, wind rising

what: nothing
    why: as per usual schedule, but in any case, throat feels a bit dodgy. In the 10 months since I started taking echinacea, this is the closest the bugs have got to making the breakthrough.

last hard day: Fri
    last long(ish) day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu
  • Too right Dolly, this week we should all be joining the 'mile high club' so to speak.

Many commiserations sfh legs, I'd feel even more sorry for you if you weren't going skiing. Good luck.

What: at the mercy of club coach.
    Why: mon night = club speed session.
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: Thurs
  • Wow, some incredible workouts and race times posted over the weekend. Hats off to all (NickJ, good lord, mileage monster and running blistering race times on top of everything else, phew!).

What: nowt
    Why: Monday = rest day
    Last hard run: Saturday
    Last rest day: Today
  • Morning, chums. And well done.

What: Resting.
    Why: It's good for me.
    Hard: Thursday.
    Rest: Saturday.
  • Good Morning All,

after a tough X-country yesterday time to do a quiet session today I think and see how bad the damage to my big toe is, and the blisters on my feet (I think my shoes are too tight). My ankle also feels a bit stodgy but I'm sure it will loosen up.

What : Slowish 6-7m
    Why : Bit tired, and time for an easier day
    Last Hard : Yesterday was tough - lots of mud, 2 lap affair with sharp incline near the start and finish ruling out any prospect of a sprint finish!
    Last Rest : Saturday
  • Morning All

What - 6 mile Hill run (including 6 x 300m hill)

Why - schedule

Last long - friday

Last Hard - yesterday (5 mile time trial)

Last Rest - Saturday

Happy Running

AndyJohn
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: am 40 mins turbo trainer, pm weights + 30 min recovery run
    Why: Yesterday was the 1st longish hard run (10.5 miles) I've managed in almost a month without feeling totally bereft of energy after 5 miles or less! Thought I'd better take things easy today (& maybe tomorrow)before resuming my Horwill schedule.

I really miss doing my 10k alternating pace run (seriously!)

Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest: too many over the past month
  • Afternoon all.

what : 2 or 3 miles easy later on.
    why : 2nd attempt at easing back into FLM schedule after 2 week lay off.
    last hard : some time last month
    last rest : lots

• Hi all

Monday - Rest day so no running, but will do "boot Camp" class this evening.
  • Drew,
    you're not fooling me mate! Missing Horwill, c'mon! His workouts are just like being a 7 year old kid with a 9 volt battery, sticking your tongue on the terminals is unpleasant but you can't stop doing it! err, did I just reveal something I shouldn't have??

Glad to hear you're on the road back, good to see you posting again ;-)

Paul, glad you're on the mend also.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

What: Recovery run, probably 3-4 miles.
    Why: Legs a bit stiff after yesterday's long run - at 7.5 miles my longest to date, which I managed in 1 hour and 1 minute (and not forgetting the 16 seconds!)
    Last hard: Yesterday, definitely. But it was worth it.
    Last rest: Saturday.

Was really pleased with yesterday's run, although it was probably a bit fast for a 'long, slow run'. But it felt sustainable. I really think I could manage a marathon next year, and certainly a couple of 10Ks, a 10-miler and a half this year.
  • Drew - take it easy, you don't want to kill yourself on a comeback too soon.

Minkin - We're following your progress - well done on your longest run to date. When will we see your next race report?
  • Hi

Don't usually join in this thread, but what the hell.

What; 4 miles slow
    Why; recovery after long run yesterday
    Last hard; yesterday - 17 miles
    Last rest; Saturday - not even time to visit gym
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Martin - not sure when the next race will be. Possibly a 10K sometime soon: I'm trying to find a suitable one which is easy for me to get to.

Looking at repeating my Race for Life (and knocking about 3-3.5 minutes off last year's time), doing the Nike 10K (was away last year), the Flora Light Womens' Challenge (again, away last year) and the Great South Run. Haven't identified a suitable half-marathon yet, but would need to be in the latter half of the year I think.
  • Good to be back after a week on a training course in London (it's hard work learning stuff). Managed to keep up the running though in hilly Hayes so don't feel too bad.

What: 40 minutes easy cycle
    Why: Recovery session after yesterday's 50 minute hilly run (passed out when I got home - must have gone harder than I thought)
    Last hard: Speaks for itself
    Last rest: Friday (bummed out after dragging my suitcase around London for a day)

Minkin - if you spot a good 10k let me know. I feel I need to test whether this training schedule is doing any good!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon people,
    Firstly hats off to all those with amazing performances this weekend.Especially Speedie at Vegas and Achilles for a great race report for Wokingham (how exactly do you remember details after the first few miles???) Reminds me that I need to get a watch with more than 8 'lap times' on it so I can do mile splits for longer races.....

Friday squeezed in a 4.5 mile run between seeing a man about a job in London at lunchtime and family down in the evening.
    Saturday was daughters 5th birthday party so did no running but I'm counting chasing 20 kids at 'Run About' up and down slides and 'in the balls' as an all round fitness test.
    After a big pub lunch on Sunday and having got rid of the family and girls for the night I ventured out for a run.
    Just over a mile jog into the village (8:31) , then 3 loops just short of 2 miles in 14:30,14:27 and 14:07, before a longer run home (2miles) in 14:35.
    Just under 9 miles (probably 8 3/4) in 66:10.
    Why : see above + 2 long races the next 2 weeks

Today : 4 mile easy recovery ~ 32 mins
    Why : Usual Monday stroll
    Last Hard : Saturdays Party
    Last Rest (from Running) : Saturday

I've got a 19.5 mile x-c (meon Valley) this Sunday , was planning on doing 3 x 8 milers Tues/Weds/Thur of fartlek/slow run/tempo with 3-4 miles easy x-c on Saturday as build up. Too much ? What would you change ?
    Distance should be OK - although its off road - Did nearly 19 on road by myself last week and usually do one 13-18 mile run every week.

• afternoon, folks -

Drew - great to hear you're well enough to be thinking about rejoining Frank. I'm thinking about the variable pace 10K for tomorrow, but to say I was looking forward to it would be a bit off the mark! MM enjoys them, but then I've heard he's a bit weird (batteries!!!!???) ;-)

sfh legs - tragic news, I'm really sorry. let's hope it's not as bad as you think.

Dustin - 19.5 x-c sounds seriously tough - good luck, sounds like you'll be fine.

what: 6M recovery @ av. 6:57 pace
    why: shake some of the stiffness out of the old legs after yesterday's 1/2M
    last hard day: yesterday
    last rest: Saturday
  • What: rest day, so pool exercises only, with 10 fast lengths, so I could get done in time.

Have too much on on a Monday to squeeze any more in.

This week. Runs on Tues and Thurs, hopefully 6m and 8m in some order. Better to do 8m tomorrow, if I feel ok, and then its done.
  • Evening folks- hope the man about ajob went ok Dustin!
    what-25mins easy to work,45 mins steady from work
    why-steady monday
    last rest-sunday
    last hard-working all weekend?
    ENJOY
  • Evening all.

What: am = 26 lenghs swimming in 20 mins (didnt have much time this morning, but better than nothing)
    pm = 8km run ( first run since last weeks marathon,started off to quick and eased back )

Why: Have booked a place for London Triathlon in august so training will change slightly to include swimming and cycling, but will still train hard on running as I have London 1/2 and Hastings 1/2 coming up.

Last Rest: Sunday

Last Hard: Last sundays marathon

Thanks for all your great feedback on marathon result

Keep it up peeps
  • I've actually met Frank a few times & written to him for his advice. A crazy guy but really knows his running. He once said your long run should be 3 X race distance!
    Most of my training is based on Cliff Temple's stuff another really nice guy.

What: 9M steady run well but I feel sleepy.
    Last hard: Thur
    Long run: Sat
    Rest: Fri

Off to bed
  • What: 2.5 miles easy on tready, waiting to pick up daughter after hockey match.

Why: recovery run - all I had time for, a bit of a bonus actually as the team were late getting back - good job I had my kit in the car