NICE advice for high BP

I just wondered what our medical community thought about the NIHCE guidance on swapping beta blockers for ACE inhibitors or calcium channel blockers for the over 55's?
Why the difference?
Answers on a post card please!

Comments

• bloody good idea

It relates to that ASCOT trial
    i wouldnt have given people beta blockers as first line anyway
    am delighted
  • Absolutely agree. And it's been standard advice for the best part of a decade now :o)
  • Less sure than my colleagues.

Feel there has been some backhanders involved in this. I am old enough to remember the MRC trails of 15 years ago whcich were unequivocal about the benefits of beta blockers.

Also I am more and more cautious about new heavily marketted drugs. I hate telling everyone how marvellous they are and then my patients reading in the Daily Mail how they increase the chance of heart attacks. Remember how CCBs were implicated in an increased heart attack rate only 4 or 5 years ago, now we are being told to use them first line.

Can any one else smell fish?
  • My main issue with blood pressure treatment is getting the bliddy patients to take their drugs for what is essentially a symptonmless diseae
    and beta blocker have nasty side efects for a LOT of people

ACE inhibitors?ARBs is what i personally would take for high BP, and NOT after Id tried a lot of other cheaper drugs first

So any guidleline which lets me agfford the same treatment to my patients is good in my book!
  • Hipps
    excused. Right in getting peeps to take they treatmeant.
    What I find funny though is the unwillingness to change the lifestyle as well. Amout of reports i read patient is taking the pills regular as clockwork and still smoke and drink like they are 20 years old.
    Bl*ody thick peeps!
    chol drugs the same.
    Im taking the drugs im ok.
  • I'd still take an ACE inhibitor rather than an ARB, and I wouldn't hesitate to take a thiazide first-line, but on the whole I agree with Hippo. If we can get at least as good an effect on blood-pressure lowering and meaningful end-points with drugs that are relatively clean from a side-effect point of view, that has to be a good thing.

But I agree with Cabletow too. There is much about the pharmaceutical industry and the professional opinion-leaders that does not smell one bit nice.
  • Personally I threaten people with drug side effects and push the clean living/diet/exercise line as far as I can before reaching for the poisons formulary. The impotence, especially, can focus the mind. Seems criminal to do otherwise and you can usually get an imprvement in lipid profile/weight and other cardiovascular risks, which, after all, is the only reason for doing it in the first place

Having said that - when faced with no choice I use an ACE.

For those in the know - we've maximum QoF points.
  • About time someone mentioned the impotence
  • A small question for you clever docs.

If beta blockers are so bad cardiovascularly in hypertension why are they used to protect you in the post MI and LVF patients?

And A question for you Hipps is the rapid increase in the use of ACE inhibitors that is likely going to uncover a lot more renal arterial stenosis? and I mean uncover in a bad kind of way.

AFAIK the NICE guidance is not to swap well controlled patients on beta blockers just to start new patients isnt that the case?

Me If I needed a beta blocker I would go for Nebivolol

From another full marks in QOF doctor
  • Cabletow-no, not really about the renal artery stenosis
    we do use ACE inhibitors in that condition anyway
    and GPs are very good at keeping an eye on the electrolytes

I think if someone is stable and happy on a beta blocker-then i wouldnt change necessarily

Question for you lot

Colleague of hubbys(v fit, runner, 40s), recently diagnosed with cholesterol of 9
    With sever alterations to diet, he has got it down to 7
    NoBP issues, not sure about FH

er-he has asked his GP about statins, and been told "no"

whaddya think about that?
  • I love a good debate! This forum gives me the most intelligent 'conversations' in my day!!
  • There is an NHS answer and a what I would do answer to your hubbys friends problem. The NHS answer is dependant on total coronary risk and the cut off is 15% if above that, suggest he buys his own statins and if it is > 20% then prescribe him some as primary prevention.

The principals of primary prevention are purely philosophical though and the statistics are such that many conclusions can be drawn. If your hubby's mate beleives in primary prevention then I would consider treating him any way, assuming the statins don't poison him. If he is sceptical like me then I would suggest he watches it. (remember that whilst statins can produce a reduction inpoopulation incidence of MI by 30% if you look at NNT for the studies and extrapolate that on an individual basis what that means is that they would delay your heart attack by three days hmmm)

The thing to remember about statins is that they are a myofacial poison and muscle aches and fatigue are a relatively common side effect, so as a runner he may tolerate them less well than an inactive person and feel less inclined to take them.

As always inform him of the issues and see what he wants to do. If it were me I would avoid them but others may feel stronlgy the other way
  • thats what i would do as well
    he wants to take them

but" computer says noooooooooo"
  • A favourite axe of mine to grind...

cabletow - my understanding is that the goodness of a betablocker only outweighs the badness if your myocardium needs the toplimiting of your heart rate. Current evidence supports this theory, although who knows what future evidence may come forward? When I was a lad the thought of giving them to anyone with a low LVEF was barmy...

re statins - the NNT issue is the second most significant one for Hippo's mate's hubby. The Number Needed to Harm is the first - it will be way lower, so for peeps in this situation I usually give it to them straight - this may defer your death for a while (although it probably won't) but will probabaly make you feel ill (although you might get away with it). If you still want to try it then fine.

As Cabletow says - it boils down to one's philosophical position on medicalising health. Personally I don't know what my cholesterol is, 'cos I've never had it measured. I've no family history, a BMI of 22 and run 40+ mpw. No idea of my blood pressure. I'm approaching 40 so fairly close to hippo's mate's hubby. The minute any preventative measure impedes my quality of life then I'd scrap it and get on, hoping I'll turn out to be one of the 90 year olds with a cholesterol of 8 who I keep telling not to worry about it
  • bendy-I agree with your philosophy
  • take up smoking then you can become a 90 year old with a chol of 8 who smokes 40 a day.

Me - I will not take anything till a doctor tells me to and, as I am unlikely to go to a doctor till I collapse, I will wait till then. In the meantime I will avoid poisoning myself with fun stuff as well as medical stuff, keep trotting out the miles when the body lets me, and see what happens.

Bendy has my vote for the best forum nom de plume ever
  • Good move mate

(im not even registered with a GP-oops)

• Aw shucks - cheers Cabletow - i'll thank my parents

So - max QoFing for playing on the internet all day?? (And 250k/annum!)We'd best not join in the profusion of 'I hate my job' threads on the go at the moment
  • 250k???????????????

I thought that was a big media hype!

you dont do you?
  • Not even a quarter of that!

Mind you I am a parttimer. Too busy r*nning
  • phew
    for a minute there i thought i was in the worng job with all the on call and what have you
    well, the job i used to do

I know what I mean
  • You not tempted by GP land then?

I take it you were/are a hospital doc?
  • I used to be a consultant nephrologist

Currently "resting"

Nah, no GP for me
    You cant be a GP and refuse to see kids can you?
  • Ahh - sadly not. Not even at home.

On the plus side you can respond to message boards nigh on instantly.

I quite enjoyed my renal house job. Never had the Greek for it though.
  • ya dont need Greek

Thats just a ploy to put people off
    nephrology is about common sensze and sick old people

too much ivory tower stuff form too amny people in that specialty
  • Hmmm. 'Treat the figures' and all that. Never really put me off but GP always appealed more.

I've followed some of your thoughts re work so far. All too common in the NHS, sadly. A substantial portion of our practice list (about 10% of adults) and health care workers in the NHS and you're far from alone.

Sure i can't persuade you to leave the dark side?
  • Im not closing the door on any options Bendy

I havent decided what I am going to do next

Being a hozzie consualtant does actually mean i never planned my career, just set my eyes on the goal and did what i had to do
    Now i need to decide what i WANT to do

thats going to be hard
  • With the ongoing 'divide and conquer' strategy the DoH seem to be employing across the medical board now, I guess many of us are not where we expected to be a decade ago. I'm certainly not. Our side has morphed enormously since I started out 17 years ago. God knows where we'll end up.

Still - we'll still be able to access RW fora from our call centres in Bangalore
  • chuckle!!!!!!!!!

Right
    Time to drag this carcass out for a little plod