Dunstable 20 Mile Challenge

Thought I'd kick this thread off. One of the most memorable events of last year, and I will definately be up for the 20 again in September. Almost entirely offroad, two or three tough hills, and wonderful scenery throughout. If you like a challenge, and something a bit different from the mainstream road races, give it a go (you won't regret it).

Comments

• Hi Grecian,
    Glad to hear you're looking forward to the 20. Course may change slightly but hills wont!

We've added another drink stop/checkpoint at 13 miles following last years comments and we promise to mark the route better too!

• I'm very interested in this. I'm training for the Abingdon Marathon which is 5 weeks after this event, so I'm thinking of using this as a training session as well as an enjoyable run (or run/walk). Sounds much more challenging than I am used to.
  • I had a great time at this event last year. I will use the challenge as a Fun training session for Beachy Head Mara in October.
    See you all there
  • For reasons I can't remember I couldn't do this last year so might give it a go this. Not sure I fancy 20 though so probably do the 10 mile option
  • Hi Brooks,
    I remember you in the forum last year, although I can't recall why you couldn't make it.
    Go for the 20, you won't be disappointed! Its still 2 months away so you've got time to prepare.
  • Hi I'm also thinking of doing this as a training run for Abingdon. My first marathon.
  • CWJ - having completed the 20 last year, I would recommend this as a perfect event in terms of timing and challenge as preparation for Abingdon. The attractive scenery should hopefully take your mind off the distance and the couple of testing hills.
  • Hello all
    I ran the middle 12 miles of the 20 mile course yesterday, and the scenery was lovely infact it was stunning. If anyone is waivering over what distance to complete please opt for the 20.
    I did the 10 mile at last years event and really enjoyed it, but the 20 mile course is even better.
    CWJ - I also believe this to be perfect training for anyone doing Autumn marathons.
  • Thanks for that lads, I look forward to doing it. I'm going to try and get a friend to run it with me, as she said she would like to do a 20 miler.

Is this run over the downs, just how hilly is it?
  • CWJ - It starts at the Downs, the three hiils are in the first half (from memory) and these are more short and sharp than anything. The overall course I would describe as undulating, made up of footpaths/bridleways/trails. The route loops south through villages and farms before arriving back at the Downs (19 miles) and then the nice downhill finish to Queensbury School.
  • Greetings all.

I am probably coming back to this one again and would recommend it for Abingdon...I did the same last year and ran 2-56-53 at Abingdon...Dunstable was a key run as it was long enough to give yourself confidence whilst also had enough hills to add the extra bit of toughness.

I hope to hook up with someone who can read maps again...last year i ran with a St Albans Strider (Paul?) who did well...although we did do 21.4 miles per his Garmin due to a few unexpected farm detours!

• read maps whats all that about?!
  • Hi Cyberwebjaws,
    dont worry we will be marking the course better than last year, thanks to comments received after last year.
    Each entrant will be provided with a detailed description of the course plus a route map although they probably will not be needed!
  • Last year people were advised to carry the intructions, ...I couldn't have got round without them. It was ok though, I enjoyed doing a few extra miles ;-)

It was fine, I passed on my comments at the end of last year as there was one junction perhaps with 4ish miles to go where we missed a discreet right hand (at direction 2 o clock) offshot up a track and ended up carrying on, bearing right and running down a hill...and then back up again!!!

• Glad toread it's going to be marked better. For a moment I thought it was going to be an orenteering event so something.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    I did the 20 last year, I am the Strider Jeffsy mentioned (good memory, even remembered my name!). I really enjoyed it, the scenery is brilliant, although. It is great training for an autumn marathon - I did Chicago last year and am doing it again this year, so will be doing this again as it helped last year I think.

Jeffsy - well done on breaking 3 hours at Abingdon, I also broke 3 at Chicago. I thought we both would manage it after this run last year! Might see you again in a few weeks!

The marking wasn't too bad last year - a couple of minor detours over 20 miles through the woods/fields etc. is not too bad! Sounds like it will be even better this year though.
  • MY friend, sent off her entry yesterday, so I now have someone to run with this is going to be fun.
  • I'm also doing this as a build up for Abingdon. What about foot wear - Are road shoes OK or should I be thinking about something like Adidas Swoops, Walshes or similar ?
  • Liam - The course is 90% off road but most of the tracks and paths should still be fine. I run in this area often and it is only if it has rained for a few days in a row that you need extra grip.
    I wouldn't buy a pair of trail/offroad shoes just for this event but i do find the pair i have useful at certain times of the year.
    Last year aside a few muddy puddles the course was fairly dry and road shoes were fine. There was also a footpath across a field that had recently been ploughed where my trainers collected most of the field but soon came of again on the next track.
    What i will do is make sure i run most of the course the weekend before and report back.
  • a.k.a."billy" - Many thanks. Sounds a lot like what I usually train over in the Fleet/Aldershot /Farnborough areas. I tend to run over those trails in road shoes even in the winter, and save the Swoops for the likes of the KIMM and full on cross country events but I'll probably pack them anyway just in case. I'm looking forward to this and hopefully seeing you all there. Again many thanks for your help.
  • is this a good course for preperation for Abingdon full???
    Rich O
  • richard - i think this is perfect prep for any autumn marathon. There were a few people who did the event last year who went on and ran Abingdon.
    As much as anything else you get to run 20 miles so thats decent mileage under the belt. The offroad course makes it a bit tougher so once you finish this you will know how your training for Abingdon has gone.
    The event is now in its second year and last year it had a nice relaxed feel to it, very like a training run in many respects except with a couple of hundred training partners to run round with.
  • Hi Richard, I agree with aka billy, a group of us did this one last year in prep for the Venice marathon, apart from getting lost a couple of times (our own fault!) it was excellent, very friendly and well organised. We're doing it again this year before some of us do Chicago and some do Amsterdam.
  • Thanks for the info everyone.
    Is this race very hilly???
    Rich O
  • richard - The course undulates with about 2 or 3 hills of any note. There is one near nettleden (i think) that is on a gravely path which i found hard work. But the views and scenery take your mind off them. It never felt like one long hill when i ran it the other week quite the opposite infact. I would imagine the course would be a lot tougher in the opposite direction. The event also starts at the top of Dunstable Downs thus taking one of the hills out.
  • thanks for the info.
    Sounds a good run to do.
    Does anyone know any b and b's / hotels in the area I can stop at???
    Im travelling down from Nottingham.
    Rich O
  • Richard, I'm also running this in prep for Abingdon.

Kiwi, is it right that people don't run Amsterdam marathon, they fly!!!!!!!!!
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Sent off the entry form this morning - looking forward to it! It will be my penultimate long run before Chicago. Hopefully should able to beat my time from last year, all I have to do is not get lost.

Richard - I would describe it as slightly more hilly than a.k.a. Billy suggests! I agree that you probably won't mind though because the scenery is brilliant and no one really seemed to be "racing" anyway, more like a hard training run. I was in a small group and we more or less waited for each other if one of us got dropped on a hill.
  • Hello Richard,
    Hotels in the area you could try: Holiday Inn Express 01582 841332, The Highwayman Hotel 01582 661999, Premier Travel Inn 08701 977082, Kitts Inn 01582 662341, The Pheasant Inn 01582 662706, Old Palace Lodge 01582 662201, Travelodge 0870 1911527. All are long established and within 20 mins of school.
  • Hello Richard,
    Hotels you could try are:
    Express by Holiday Inn 01582 841332
    The Highwayman Inn 01582 661999
    Kitts Inn 01582 662341
    Old Palace Lodge 01582 662201
    Pheasant Inn 01582 662706
    Premier Travel Inn 0870 1977082
    Travelodge 0870 1911527
    All are long established and all are within 20 minutes of School.