Dunstable 20 Mile Challenge

Comments

• Thanks for the help rootmaster.
    Cyberebjaws - What time are you looking at doing Abingdon in???
    Im looking at doing in Abingdon in just under 3 hrs (did 3 hrs 12 at Blackpool two years ago 1st attempt)
    Padams - whats your marathon time???

Rich O
  • Cyberwebjaws, Amsterdam is a really fast, flat course but that was our first marathon so I felt like I was crawling by the finish - running into the Olympic stadium was amazing though!
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Did 2:58 at Chicago last year a few weeks after this, then 2:51 in Boston this year. Doing Chicago again this year, and as it's a much faster course than Boston and I have beaten all my other PBs since then, I am hoping for 2:45 to get the champs start for London (subject to not getting injured in the next eight weeks, conditions on the day etc. etc.)
  • good times pal.
    How many miles a week are you running at the minute???
    Im running between 60 - 70.
    rich O
  • Yeah i agree great times. Good luck with Chicago! you don't fluke times like that you must be putting the hard work in?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Richard - I'm following the P&D up to 70 mpw schedule, so similar mileage to you. Before starting this schedule I hadn't ever done more than about 55 mpw, probably averaged about 50mpw for a few months up to Boston. I think the crucial thing is that I haven't got injured really yet (touch wood) except a sore knee a few months ago which forced me to take a few days off, so I have been training consistently for about 18 months now. I think a year of 60 mpw would be better than say 40 weeks of 100 mpw interspersed with 12 weeks off when you get injured.

I've always had decent speed (was a 400/800m runner at school, but that was 7 years ago now!) so just trying to increase the steady miles to build endurance.
  • Padams - Whats the P and D schedule??
    I working to the runners world sub 3hr schedule. (link below)www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/printablearticle.asp?UAN=127
    (Cant do hyper links)!
    Ive added a couple of double days to it.
    The 60 mile a week schedule you do is what I normally do when im not training for anything in particular.
    100 miles a week is to much in my view (unless your a full time runner)
    Also, whats your half marathon time??
    I did 1 hr 22 at Tewksbury in May this year.
    Rich O

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Richard - P&D is Pfitzinger & Douglas, two guys who have written some books about running and I think a lot of people follow their training schedules. I followed the RW 3 hour schedule for Chicago last year and it went quite well.

Current half PB is 77:08 set in November last year, but I think I could beat that now. I did 77:58 in March this year on a quite hilly course and am fitter than that now (I think). Won't be doing a half before Chicago unfortunately but will be doing Leighton 10, but set my 10M PB only a few weeks ago so not likely to beat it by much, if at all.
  • Thanks for that Padams.
    Hopefully the RW schedule will get me under 3 hrs.
    If it does, im retiring!
    Rich O
    PS which half did you get 77 mins last november???
    Was St neotts in Cambridgeshire??
    I did that one and got 1hr 22 there.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    I had planned to retire once I had broken 3 hrs but I still seem to be doing them...

My half PB was Gosport actually, almost perfect conditions. May do it again this year if it is not too soon after Chicago.
  • abingdon will be my first marathon so just looking to finish really. Hopefully in 4.20 - 5.00.

My 1/2 pb was set at Wycombe, 1.49.

Ran Burnham Beaches on Sunday at 9 minute mile pace, then added 4 extra miles to make it a 17 mile training run my furthest run so far.
  • Hi Guys,
    Sounds like the training is going well. You will definitely not be disappointed with this 20!
  • I'm looking at a sub 4 in Abingdon - Best for 20m 2.58 in Worthing (flat as a pancake) so anything similar would be a bonus here. Did FLM in 4.22 - which was disappointing so hoping for magical sub 4 this time at Abingdon.

See you there

GK
  • Oh my days! Just checked out he website - I have never worried about course directions before as I have always just been able to follow the people in front! I guess 150 people can spread out a long way over 20 miles!

Hopefully my determination not to read the map and keep in some company will make me run faster!

GK
  • Went out for a 3 hour run today. Not sure how far I ran, as I've left my Garmin at work. If it wasn't the longest run I've done so far it wasn't far off, the 17 miles I did last weekend, and that was after doing 11-12 mles yesterday. So I might rest tomorrow or just go out for a short run. I'll see how the legs feel tomorrow morning.
  • Gingerkid, you should add your name to the list on the Abingdon thread, 115, so far.

It's a really good thread, check it out.
  • This will be my first time at this race - sounds perfect training for the Lochness Marathon I'm doing on 2nd October and the hills!!
  • Gingerkid, Muffin29,
    Don't worry about course directions we plan to improve the markings so you should be able to get round.
  • CWJ we need a list on this thread aswell.... here goes

20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460

10 Mile Challenge

A little bird told me last night that nearly everyone who has pre entered has opted for the 20. Make sure to remind anyone you know who wishes to take part to do so as entries are up on last year. More details and entry form on www.dunstableroadrunners.org
  • Well I am tempted to win the 10 mile, by virtue of being the only entrant maybe, but I'll take it :-)

Actually my entry is in my drawer at work. I was about to post it (10 mile option !) and then realised why I didn't do it last year as well. The East Anglian League final is on that day. I might end up officiating and don't think I can get from Dunstable to Bury St Edmunds in time.

Just need to confirm how many of our teams qualified for the final and what I will do.
  • I did the 10mile last year, 1st ever race and 5 months after deciding to get fit. Managed 1:30:12 last time, so out better that.

May risk entry on day as I've got chest infection and Sinus problems at the moment, which has completely blown my sporting aspirations! Hopefully the potions will do the trick.

Definatley recommended the race to any newbies out there, I found my way round without the map and had no one to follow for the last 4 1/2 miles! Just keep you eyes open for the red/white striped tape!
  • quite a few people changed their minds on the day last year and ran the 10 mile. You just need to let registration know so your given the correct instructions. There was also a lot of on the day entries.
  • Um - looks I will be at a track meeting that day. Officiating and probably also doing a 3,000M and maybe high jump, triple jump or whatever to fill in.

• never mind Brooks maybe next year? Good Luck to all at Luton AC at your meeting.
  • BTB you've got to be the biggest high and triple jumper I've ever seen. ;>))
  • Ok heres two names for the list, mine and my friend I will be running with.

20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton

10 Mile Challenge

• I would love to run in this event this year but I will be helping out on the day.

I ran the 20 mile course several times before the London Marathon this year and would recomend it to anyone who is looking for a good challenging marathon training run.

The course has everything, it starts with the superb views from Dunstable downs, there are hills, valleys, woods, and open countryside. what more could you ask for on a Sunday morning run!

You probabley won't be thinking about work on Monday thats for sure!
  • 20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    MRF (probably, I will make up my mind on the day)

10 Mile Challenge

• 20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    Rich O (Long eaton running club)

10 Mile Challenge

• 20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    Rich O (Long eaton running club)
    Padams #442

10 Mile Challenge