Options

Dunstable 20 Mile Challenge

Comments

• Options
    OK - as I started this thread, better post my entry off today for the 20. Looking forward to a good run.
  • Options
    Just adding myself to the ongoing list. I ran the Kent Coastal Half last weekend - Gale force winds and " undulations " ( ? )Can't be any worse than that. I'm looking forward to it, and to seeing you all.

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    MRF (probably, I will make up my mind on the day)
    Rich O ( Long Eaton running club)
    Padams #442
    Liam Duffy #410 ( I think - need to check it ! )

10 Mile Challenge
  • Options
    I'm doing the 10 Mile will be my first off roader and I am really looking forward to it. I walk my dogs up on Dunstable Downs and they are beautiful.

20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    Rich O ( Long Eaton running club)
    Padams #442
    Liam Duffy #410 ( I think - need to check it ! )

10 Mile Challenge

chumsy # (not sure?)
  • Options
    Why not RTFM before posting !!!! NOT # 410. I'm actually # 416. Sorry # 410 whoever you are. I'll try again and correct the list -

20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Sharon Nettleton
    Rich O ( Long Eaton running club )
    Padams #442
    Liam Duffy #416

10 Mile Challenge

chumsy # (not sure?)
  • Options
    along with a few mates we are checking the 20 course on Sunday. i havnt been up there for a couple of weeks but my mate ran the ten mile last week and the course was dry underfoot.
    I understand entries are still going well and the organisers are really looking forward to welcoming you all to this event.
  • Options
    Hi, We checked the course on Sunday morning and it is very dry underfoot even in the woods. If as it looks at the moment that it will be a dryish week i'll be wearing my road shoes.
    One of my friends took his pruners and was attacking any overhanging bushes and nettles in preparation for the event.
  • Options
    Thanks a.k.a.billy. Road shoes for me too then. We had a monsoon in Surrey last night but the ground still looked like iron this morning. See you Sunday.
  • Options
    Hi, ran the first couple of miles this morning and the last couple and the goings good under foot (as they say in the horsey world!). Got soggy toes, but it rained overnight. The start looks as though it's going to be single file staight of the line, its seem more overgrown than last year. Narrows down again into Whipsnade as well.

Still not sure if I'm fit enough to race yet, but if any locals fancy organising chopping it all back a bit, let me know.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this. Never run more than 10 miles off-road before. Also using it as training run for Abingdon.
    Would someone be kind and lob me on the '20 mile' list. Thanks.
  • Options
    20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Grecian 2000
    Liam Duffy #416
    Ronnie Irani Fan Club
    Sharon Nettleton
    Padams #442

10 Mile Challenge

chumsy # (not sure?)
    skerr ?
  • Options
    Don't worry skerr. ther are a few teams of workers out on Saturday checking the course so any overgrown places will be cleared before the start.

• Options
    Thats good to know.

Are there many places left for on the day entries?
  • Options
    i ran last year and i'm back again this year.

20 Mile Challenge

aka billy # 460
    Cyberwebjaws
    Grecian 2000
    Liam Duffy #416
    Ronnie Irani Fan Club
    Sharon Nettleton
    Padams #442
    snook

10 Mile Challenge

chumsy # (not sure?)
    skerr ?
  • Options
    CWJ - yes there is still room for entries on the day.
    If you do know someone who is thinking of running suggest they arrive at Queensbury School as early as they can.
    It is a 10-15 minute walk from the school to the start on Dunstable Downs (10.30 Start) so factor that into your plans for the morning. Last year there was a mass walkup to the start about 20 mins before kick off.
  • Options
    aka thanks for that. I'm being picked up at about 8.45. So should be there in plenty of time. Coming from Wendover.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone for sunday.
    I will be wearing a white Nike baseball cap and one of those belts with little bottles on.
    Say hello if you like!
    Rich O
  • Options
    Rich O, some how I don't think we will have any problems spottting you. As you will probibly be the only bear there!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be wearing black Lonsdale shorts with a water bottle around my waist. Not sure on the top yet.

Good luck to everyone. see you there.
  • Options
    Dark blue running vest with light blue and white diagonal bar, club name Hart Road Runners on back. Give us a shout as you pass.
  • Options
    yeah good luck everyone. as you may have guessed i'm a local and i will be helping set up and at registration prior to running myself. So please say hi when you collect your numbers
  • Options
    Best of luck everyone! Last big race for me and Mr KC before Chicago in October, where has this year gone?! Got lost last year on this one so if anyone spots us looking lost again please point us in the right direction - we'll be in a purple and white East End Road Runners vests. Cheers!
  • Options
    Right, this might not be politically correct, and, yes, I do understand that race organisers have a thankless task....BUT.......I have never come across such a badly marked run course. I did the 10 miler and everyone I spoke to afterwards had got lost somewhere en route.

I know the area but, even then, didn't have a clue where I had come from/where I was/where I was going to at times. Past the "drinks ahead" sign I ran down someone's driveway not knowing where to go. I ran through a church graveyeard in Whipsnade wondering if that was the correct way because there three different directions I could have gone but there were absolutely no signs.

Apart from that, the route was lovely (something you come to expect in the beautiful Bedforshire and Hertfordshire countryside), but please, please, lets get the damn thing marked out better!

I know I am going to get blasted for saying all this, but surely race organisers are not beyond critisicm if they get things wrong.

Anyone else have any comments?
  • Options
    Tri2run.......Sorry to hear you had a problem with the markings...I should respond to your coments as I personaly checked the course markings just after the cricket club and replaced any missing tape and re sprayed the arrows at 6.30am this morning! I can only assume that someone had removed the tape and scrubed the paint off before you arrived at that point? (assuming it had gone)& that may well have been the case at the church, unfortunatly we canot control public interferance! I would say though that after the chuch there was an obvious Arrow (sign board) pointing in the direction you had to go. Hopefully you didn't stray to far of course.

I am glad you enjoied the rest of the day though
  • Options
    Personally I had a fantastic day. This is a wonderfully understated event, no hype, no bull, just a great run in lovely, if somewhat challenging, countryside with a great group of friendly, mutually supportive runners - well the lot around me were anyway. Yes we did have a couple of minor cock ups on navigation, but that was down to us legging it and failing to see arrows / tape which were undoubtedly there. A failure of observation not of organisation. Most people round me accepted these minor detours as part of the craic - you passed someone, missed a turn and got yelled to by your " adversary " who you were now behind and had to chase again. Nice to meet you Rich O - great run by you. Sub 3 at Abingdon for sure on yesterday's evidence. Hope the knee is OK, I followed you over that stile and it looked to me that you left a piece of flesh big enough to feed a family of four on it. OUCH ! Again huge thanks to all of you at Dunstable for putting on such an enjoyable event. See you next year.
  • Options
    It's disappointing Tri2run had problems with markings i'm sure he was not the only one to be affected. Its more disappointing that someone takes it upon themselves to remove markings. As a club we respect the countryside and always clear any "mess" we may make when we hold events and leave things as we found them.

Speaking personally i ran the 20 course and had a great time. I met some really nice people and had a good run until the later stages when i got a bit of cramp in my thighs. It was a touch too warm for me but thank you to the people who manned the water stations very nice they were too.

I was using the event as prep for The Beachy Head Mara at the end of October and i will need to do a few more LSR if yesterdays cramp is anything to go by
  • Options
    Liam Duffy - sorry i didnt say hello i was on registration and i couldn't remember all the names from this forum. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
  • Options
    I also think this is a great race. I enjoyed it even more this year, partly because I didn't get lost this time! It was a bit warm which made the refreshments even more welcome (I love the sweets!).

The course markings were much improved on last year. I took the directions but probably would have managed without them, although I did it last year so remembered the tricky bits.

One more long run before Chicago - hopefully yesterday will have put some more endurance in my legs!
  • Options
    Thank you a.k.a.billy. No offence taken. You were all pretty busy, just to repeat my thanks to all of you who gave up your time and made the effort to give the rest of us a great day.
  • Options
    Good morning all.
    Really enjoyed the race yesterday.... apart from getting lost 4 times falling over 3 times and losing some skin of my knee on a sty!
    Liam Duffy - Good to meet up yesterday.
    Hopefully see you at Abingdon.
    Rich O
  • Options
    For anyone who is interested the race results are now up on the clubs website.
  • Options
    Yes, it is certainly annoying when people take down the markings, especially since it must have taken the organisers ages to put them up!

Being in the 10 mile race, with very few competitors, I seldom had anyone around me to follow or point me in the right direction. I suppose if I was in the 20 miler then I wouldn't have had the same problem.

Lovely route all the same.