Half Marathon

Hello formunties,Can anyone out their help?

I am on my second week of my training schedule for the edinburgh marathon:but I am
doing the silverstone 1/2 on the 2nd march?This week my mileage takes me up to
twenty two all in! But my longest runs I have been doing so far are six?Will I need to
make my runs longer to complete the 1/2 at silverstone?If so,how do I fit it in with my
schedule?

Bearing in mind I have only done one 1/2 before:Which was october 2002.
Any help apprecioated!

Daisybop.

Comments

• If you're only doing a long run of 6 at the moment, a 1/2m in 3 weeks sounds a bit ambitious. I'd just keep to your current schedule and, if you really want to do Silverstone, just go ahead and run it and see how you feel (and hope you don't suffer too much). There's not much you can do between now and then to make yourself go faster, but if you suddenly up the mileage a lot now, you could certainly make yourself go slower.
  • If you increase your long runs and weekly mileage too much now, you will run the risk of injury. Keep yourself as fit as you can, go slow on the day and run for fun, not for your watch.

Good luck and see you there.

Bullfinch
  • You'll be fine!!!

The first time I did a 1/2M, the longest run I had done before then was 6 miles.

If you can run 6 miles now without being too tired at the end, then from my experience you'll be OK. You'd be surprised how much difference the atmosphere and supporters make!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Be prepared to walk some if you've not run over 6 miles. You could increase your long run for the next 2 weeks by 2 miles each week which will take you up to 10 miles the week before the 1/2. This would be a much better distance to run a 1/2 off.

Just enjoy the day and don't worry, there will be many runners of all abilities there. Good luck!!
  • But Hilly, do you really think that by doing one 10 miler before will help that much? I reckon just be prepared to walk myself... good luck anyway Daisybop!
  • PS. Don't go at 6 mile pace!!! Oh... And take plenty of water!!!
  • Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your advice:Will still go for it as I have paid my money.And I was also planning
    to visit my brother whilst down their.And have been checking flights and they are pretty cheap.
    So no doubt I will be their.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Daisybop.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I think I must be unnecessarily cautious about entering races. I'm thinking of a marathon next year, and hopefully a half later this year. My longest run to date is 7.5 miles which I did this weekend in 1 hour and 1 minute.

Perhaps I could manage a half sooner than I think? I always thought I should be able to run further than (or at least as far as)the trained-for distance before attempting it, but I guess adrenaline and crowd support do a lot on the day.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minkin-personally I think you're right and I know I wouldn't run a 1/2 off anything less than 10 miles of training, but that's me. I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of it. I'm one of those people not happy just to enter and finish, but we're all different and that's the beauty of ruuning. I suppose what I'm really saying is if you want to go for a particular time then do the training properly, if you're happy to just complete the distance then 6-7miles would most probably be ok.

Jon-it might not do much in terms of time, but confidence plays a huge part in running and 10 miles is much closer to 13 than 6!

Enjoy the run daisybop!
  • I'm attempting a 1/2 on a long run of only 7. I'm a bit concerned too, but have decided to run and see what happens. I'm certainly not out to break any records!
    I have been training on hills and the course is flat - anybody think this will help?
    Anyway daisybop, goodluck, and lets compare notes when all is done.
  • Hello Patouka,

My advice to you would be to maybe do a few runs of eight miles:And then maybe next week
    try and do one run of 10 miles.This is the advice I got from one of my friends in my running
    club and he is very experienced.But bearing in mind just take it at normal pace for yourself.
    I am going out today after work to do an eight miler.And I know that I can do this.Then maybe
    at the weekend I will go out and do ten.But this will not be fast:Just normal pace,which for me
    is about 9-10 min miles.Although my speed is building up gradually.
    Your training on the hills will pay off as well.I have been including hills on my long runs at the
    weekend when I head back home.I have been doing them for the past few weeks and I can feel
    the difference.With adding a little bit extra mileage,this will give you extra confidence.
    I did my first 1/2 last october in oban:I did take a while,but as you say I am just out to complete it,
    and not break any records.So good luck with your 1/2:By the way were is it at??

Bye for now Daisybop.
    p.s( Hilly thanks for your message of good luck).Great support,gives you such a boost!!
  • I'm living in Paris at the moment. It's the Paris 1/2 on March 9.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom! I think I'll try it.
  • Hello Patouka,

Good luck,and all the best for your 1/2 on march 9.

Daisybop.
  • I'm doing the silverstone 1/2 as well as training for edinburgh. My longest so far is 8 and I'm following a Hal Higdon 1/2 M schedule and have been building up for past 8 weeks. Due to do 9 mile this weekend and 10 next with smaller weekday runs of 5. I also did half M run last september in glasgow and managed from much less training (I had to walk bits and was quite sore after!) .
  • The only word of wisdom i can add - (as a vet of 2 x 1/2s!) is - do not - repeat, do not go too fast at the beginning, even if it means starting at the back to see the field streaking ahead at the gun, I'm sure more experienced racers will agree??...
  • as a veteran of----------- two halves id agree
  • I started cheddar last, finished 6th from last, cant tell you how great it feels to pass 5 people.... although I almost wanted not to pass them so they wouldn't have to be last...

if you know what I mean... hic!
  • I dint pass noone
    in any race
    started slow finished slower

But Im crap at running

Im not doing thesis either, you are forgiven
    it will be tea time soon , so cant stop long
  • SWEETIE....
    i WOULDN'T PASS YOU, i'D STAY WITH YOU...
    xxx
  • HS, even WALKERS were passing me at last half
  • t time
    byse petal
    xxxxxxxxx
  • Daisybop, how goes it? Training on track?
    Mines not! Babies teething and toddler waking with bad dreams has mean't two weeks of sleepless nights.Kind of hard to get motivated at 6.30 am after 4 hours sleep!Any other parents out there with the same problem?
    This week at last back to 4 days running so there's some hope. If I have any more setbacks I won't make the distance but happy to run a really good 10k. Will of course have to decide before the race!
    Good luck with the training daisybop