WEIGHT TRAINING

I've been training for the FLM now since early January, slowly upping my long runs at the weekends.
Yesterday I went through 12.2 miles in 1:26 mins and it just felt strangely comfortable if not a little tiring.
Mons and Fridays are rest days, I am hoping to do som leg weight training as I haven't started any yet.
Any advice on how much I should be lifting and how many reps would be appreciated.
CheersThanxNiceOne.

Comments

• Yep, do some leg weights. They will reduce the likelihood of injury especially if you're doing lots of miles.

It is impossible to sa how much your lifting as that varies by person and what exercise is being done. One rule I've heard quoted by Frank Horwill (top coach) is that your hamstrings should be at least half as strong as your quads. ie, make sure you can lift around half the weight when doing hamstring lifts as for squats/ leg extensions - just a rough guide.

Check the other parts of the RW site for articles on weight training for runners. Don't neglect your upper body either. Legend was that Seb Coe could bench-press twice his body weight and he was a bit decent on the track.
  • Ummm ,....on the other hand - some weight training can completely wreck your chances of running - if you happen to have an undiagnosed muscle imbalance (especially in the quads) - as I found to my cost last year

Also, using leg press / extension machines bears no relationship to the action used whilst running and is effectively - a completely different exercise.

I now only do stuff that involves standing eg step work with weights in your hands / lunges / wobble board / ankle flexes and knee extensions off a wall mounted pulley etc

Introducing weight work now - at a period of max effort in your training could result in you having muscle soreness affecting the quality of your running sessions.

If you're starting to find the long runs easy - sih - be thankful and I personally wouldn't risk anything you're not used to now - leave it til after the race and see how you cope with it

Good Luck regardless

SS
  • PS cross training's a 'safer' way of working other muscles especially

bike
    elliptical trainer (facing forwards - using it in reverse as well as forward - and also facing 'backwards')
    rower's good for the hamstrings