Options

Tuesday session 11 February 2003

Over the last few months I feel I become something of an expert on the subject of knee injuries and causes and I really know my Chrondromalacia from my bucket handle tear - but do you know what? I'm still no closer to identifying the constant irritation of the pain in my right knee. From everything I've read about symptoms I would say its Osgood Schlatters.......but then that would make me between 10 - 16, I always thought I was a bit of a late developer but that would be ridiculous (or at least my 11 year old daughter would say so). Anyway, 10 days to doctors visit and counting.

Last night was the pre-published cross training - felt a bit wasted, possibly this weekends running took more out of me than I thought.

Today: Running 40 minutes or so.
Why: weekend knee pain has abated
Last Hard: Saturday
Last rest: Friday.

Temperatures have plummeted again so tonights run will be in full winter gear. Mostly I run in pitch darkness and I can honestly say my head torch has been a revelation.

Comments

• Options
    Morning All

Marin- I know running keeps you young but come on....Hope the Doc's visit sorts it out as having an injury that you never seems to clear is a real pain(!)

Today:40 min run
    Why: Always the session I do after my recovery run
    Last Hard:Thurs
    Last Rest:Sat
  • Options
    speedwork for me, a funny pyramid sort of thing
  • Options
    Morning!

Off to run outside before it rains (looks threatening in London).

Today: 6 miles easy
    Why: Recovery from yesterday's intervals
    Last Hard: Yesterday's 800 metre intervals
    Last Rest: Friday
  • Options
    Hoping to run tonight for first time in over a week. Good luck to all you other runners. (Benz - pyramids are hard work, but apparently really good for speed. Stick with them.)
  • Options
    WP - glad to hear your back on the road to recovery. Take it easy & good luck
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning, it's raining here already. Mind I don't mind the rain to run as long as there's no wind too.

What: speed session, 2 mile warm-up,5*1 mile reps @ 5k pace,2 mile cool down
    Why:part of schedule
    last hard:Sunday
    Last rest:yesterday.

Have a nice day folks!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck WP with the run!
  • Options
    Hello all

What: Rest.
    Why: changing schedule a bit this week to accomodate my first race since my return to running - a 10k down in Chessington on Sunday. Rest also suits today as I worked v.late lat night, so a lie-in this morning was needed!
    Last hard: Saturday.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Welcome back to the land of the running WP.
    Martin - I hope the docs next week can sort you out and finally diagnose your problem.
    Belated congrats to Nick on 1st place in the 10 miler on Sunday - 55 mins , slow down mate.....(or was it a slow 10k?)

What : hopefully 8 miles of mixed running (30 mins fartlek/30 mins at halfmara pace)
    Why : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Saturday
    Last Hard : Hmmmm

Probably got a meeting in London at lunchtime (unless its cancelled - again!)
    and got college (OU) tonight, so depending on how timings pan out I may miss the run today.

BTW Laura - this w/ends run for me is strictly training (he says) - I've got the Bramley 20 mile race the following week when I want to run at target marathon pace (around 2:25-2:27).
    This weeks race has "fruit cake and sweets at the last 4 stops" sounds right up my street!!!

Put off by the fact that you collect your number on the day, so that they know exactly how many are on the course - count 'em out, count 'em in........

Have a nice day :D
  • Options
    Morning all. Just when I decide to take it up a notch I start to feel ill (cold symptoms) - psychosematic (sp?) or possibly over-training last week. Either way, intend to carry on regardless...

What: 15 min easy; 25 to 30 Fartlek; 10 easy
    Why: 7 weeks to go to Conne, following RW's sub 3:30 schedule for last year
    Last rest: yesterday

BTW, tried to enter Bramley 20 yesterday but it's full. Have a good one Dustin - hope you get the time you want.

Well done Martin, running in the cold with a headtorch and a sore knee...
  • Options
    Morning all!

What: Either 3 miles at 10K pace or 4 miles at half-marathon pace, depending on time available and how much less sore my bum is by this evening than it is now.
    Why: Won't have time to do intervals tomorrow.
    Last hard day: Saturday. Yesterday was middling-hard.
    Last rest day: Sunday.
  • Options
    Greetings All,

What: 10M fartlek with club
    Why: Tuesday session
    Last hard run: Saturday
    Last rest day: Yesterday
  • Options
    Morning All!!

What: 8 Miles Steady
    Why: Schedule Says So!

Last Hard Run: Saturday 18 miler
    Last Long Run: Saturday 18 Miler
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    Morning all! Feeling raring to go today after having a second rest day yesterday (didn't have time to get to the gym for planned cross training), so
    What:6x800m with 2min recovery
    Why: try and do speedwork on Tues
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning one and all!

Having been stressing for weeks about my inability to pace myself as I think I should, I've decided not to worry about it and just run 'as I feel'. This just means that I run a bit harder on my tempo runs, take it down a notch on the long runs and run relaxed on recovery runs. Intervals speak for themselves! Trying to work from my anticipated 5K time and knock off/add minutes according to the type of run I'm doing just doesn't seem to work for me - especially as I suspect my 5K time is a lot quicker than it was last June, when I last raced. Running on hills has really improved my strength and fitness.

Anyway - I digress!

What: Rest.
    Why: My partner and I have been together 4 years today, so off out for a celebratory meal.
    Last hard: Sunday - my longest run to date.
    Last rest: Saturday.

• Options
    morning. did my session early.

supposed to have been 6 miles in 66 mins, with middle three at 30 mins. Ended up doing 6.5 in 64 minutes, so a pretty sort of 10 min per mile pace. Except, bits of it were quite a bit faster to make up for the much slower bits. Have real trouble pacing myself, cos the really slow 12minute per mile pace just makes it seem like I don't get anywhere!

last hard: saturday
    last rest yesterday
  • Options
    Howdy,

What: Hmm, tricky one this as I really should be doing a long run today. Problem is that i've become a creature of habit, generally running long runs mid-morning and saving the shorter stuff for the evenings. Unfortunately I can't get out until about 4pm today and i'm not sure if the old bag o' bones will allow it.

Why: 'cause I won't be able to do a long run this week if I don't.

Last Hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Morning folks!
    Looking nice and bright up here, shame i'll be waiting to train until its probably cold and wet this evening!
    what-club speed session
    why-tuesday
    last rest -sunday
    last hard-long weekend at work!

Have a nice day!!
  • Options
    Club run tonight.
    7-8 mile run Monday with PT
  • Options
    Good Morning All

What : Club effort session
    Why : you jus'gotta

Last Hard : Sunday
    Last Rest : Saturday
  • Options
    afternoon

having a sh*te day here in work & will keep this short(ish)

what: nothing
    why: after 10 months, finally a bug has got thru the echinacea defences. Throat infected - normally, for me, these take ages to clear.

last hard day: Fri
    last long day: Sun
    last (scheduled) rest day: Mon
  • Options
    7x800m Yassos on a treadmill (no access to a track)
    Why? thought I'd give them a try
    last rest yesterday
    last hard pace run 6miles Sat

Off to Berlin for a few days of recreation - but training won't suffer, there's a great trail around the zoo, if you can stand the smell of the antelopes.
  • Options
    afternoon, all -

Wee Piglet - great news that you're back on four feet, hope the run goes well.

MikeS - bad news about the throat lurgy, hope you see it off quickly.

what: 2M warm-up/1M warm-down; Horwill alternating pace 10K, but actually couldn't manage more than 5 miles today as not recovered from Sunday's race - wondering if the day will ever come when I can actually complete this workout in one go.
    why: to get back into some quality miles
    last rest: Saturday
    last hard day: Sunday

• Options
    Wimpout time!

Slept really badly last night and this morning felt totally drained. Got myself up to the gym for my regular TM intervals and weights session and couldn't summon up the energy to get out of the car. Spent five minutes of arguing with myself and lost :(

Ah well, hopefully I'll sleep better tonight and will include some sprints or something in tomorrows club run.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Mike, take as long as necessary to get it out of your system! Get well soon.

what: am, 40 minute turbo trainer; pm 8.5 miles at marathon pace
    Why: decided that I wasn't quite ready for the 10k alternating pace run as it tends to raise my HR to near its Max towards the end. Maybe do it on Thursday!

Following Martin's advice - it's so tempting to run twice a day when you are desperate to get back to your pre-illness fitness levels but I'd pick up an injury quite quickly (it's always shin splints with me!). Turbo trainer gives a similar cardio vascular workout without the injury risk.

Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest day: Saturday
  • Options
    Never mind Murf - everyone's entitled to an off day and you've been really, really good!

Chin up - you'll soon be raring to go again.

Sleep well zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    What - 6 miles
    Why - schedule
    Last Hard - Sunday
    Last Rest - Yesterday (too much family stuff got in the way so I decided to call it a rest day that's why!

Happy running all xx
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Managed to get to the (newly renovated) gym.

As mentioned earlier did a mixed speed session : 3min warm up (12.0)
    then 2 mins at mara pace 13.2kmph,2 mins at half mara 14.2,2 mins at 10k 15.0 and 2mins at 5k 16.0 all with 1 min recovs at 12.0, then back down again finish with 3 mins easy (30 minutes). Followed up with 4 X 7 mins at halfM pace (14.2) although the last one was only 6mins to make up the hour.
    All in all 13.55kms (8.4miles)

Tired, but pleased.

Have a good evening chums.
  • Options
    Hi all, not been on here for a while but hope you're all OK and if not at least getting better.

I've been having a lay off due to knee injury. It seems to be getting better so I'm going to start up again this weekend.

So I know its premeture but...
    ThursdayFriday: 2-3mins slow jog 1mins walk repeated until either any pain or up to 30 mins