Nike+ on the front page

13»

Comments

• Near disaster last night!!

Having tried out the under the lace method the night before - last night did the same thing and went off to running club... (with nice summer cheeky sherbet as an added enticement as most peeps will be away now for summer)

Set it going (no headphones) as trying to be socialable...

Glanced at little tootsie around 2 miles and 20 mins into run.. yup still there...

Didn't think about it again until end of run...

Heartrate monitor had clocked 42 mins....

So off comes armstrap to look at readings on ipod...

24mins 1.89 miles - WHAT!!!

Looked down... oops! No sensor!!! Grrr....

Pretended all was fine.. Sat and gossiped and chilled in pub for a couple of hours...

Made gentle goodbyes as it was starting to get dark...

Right - Off to hunt the sensor!!

Grr.. thoughts of it's ok - only £19.. I can get another.. but why should I!!

So drove the route to 2 miles and then walked backon the route...

and after 10 mins FOUND IT!!!! Whooppeeeeee!!!!

Got home, made sure its still working and made a little pouch to tie securely under laces! It's NOT going to happen again...

Feel free to laugh guys!!

• yeah, I am feeling a bit less enthusiastic now that i went for my normal 5k run last night with my sensor stuffed down my sock (vertically) and after what should have been the 2 mile point it told me that I had run 1 kilometre... gutted! So think it does have to be horizontal, either that or I calibrated it wrongly. Out to try it again with a key holder when the weather breaks!
  • Nike+ compatable armband? I got one on EBay, I bought it before Nilke+ was launched but as luck would have it,there is a slot at the bottom of the iPod holder on and it will hold the Nano with the Nike+ attachment

I got the armband for £5 (was lucky in the auction)it was shipped from Hong Kong and took about 2 weeks to arrive but is fit for purpose and really soft leather so comfy to wear. So if you're stuck check out EBay, the place I got it from still have a few up for sale now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPOD-NANO-BLUE-LEATHER-SKIN-CASE-COVER-w-SPORT-ARMBAND_W0QQitemZ270010318864QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • so where do i get one of these little gadgets from. have tried a few stores and no-one seems to have heard of it.
  • Nike or Apple Stores seem to be the best places. I went into JD Sports in Sheffield and asked about Nike+ trainers and the shop assistant didn't have a clue!

I too don't want to buy Nike trainers as I'm really happy with my Brooks, so will try some of the innovative ideas discussed here to see if I can get the sensor attached to my laces somehow.

The keyholder method seems to be a favourite so far?
  • Yeah, these Ipod Sports Kits are difficult to find, I got mine from the Apple store in Bluewater...they had a large amount.
    Recommend it! If you own a Nano Ipod already its more than worth the £19 outlay!!!!!!
  • LOADS in Birmingham..

I got mine from the Apple store...

BUT JD Sports had them - as I got the armband from there...

Sweatshop has them too...
  • Hi

Several people have mentioned a key holder to fix them to your laces. I'm new to running, what is a 'key holder' and where do I get one please?

Many Thanks

Chris
  • Hey all,
    Lots of people are working out good and SECURE methods of affixing the sensor to your shoes -- and being able to move it easily between pairs of shoes -- for instance this one here: http://web.mac.com/chasemalone/iWeb/Site/Nike Sport Kit Mod.html

And some feedback has said that the little key-holder idea is slightly less accurate... Anyone done a direct comparison to a fixed-on-the-laces version?

I'm about to buy the gadget tomorrow morning and will report back myself ... I'm thinking of doing something similar but which leaves the sensor itself independent: a velcro-sided mini-pouch which can then be velcroed "over" the laces.

nothing like new toys yay!
  • Hi Everyone,
    I am pleased that I've read all your reviews as I was a bit sceptical when I first read about it on RW (I always am!!) but it sounds like a good thing to invest in. Does anyone know whether they've launched it across the sea to mainland Europe? I'll have a look on the nike/apple website. I will be using my new balance trainers as Nikes don't seem to work for me! The challenge will be if I can find one in good old Luxembourg as they are always sooo behing on these things,which is annoying.

Take care everyone and please keep commenting on it as it is really useful.
    Eleanor
  • I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I am having so much fun with it!

As I run/walk I think I will have to calibrate it as a 4.3mile run on my Garmin is a 5.07 mile run on my Nano.

I have secured it to the tongue of my running shoes using self-adhesive velcro. I put some on the tongue and some on the sensor and put the two together underneath the laces.

So far so good - still have it attahced to my trainers although I have yet to see what happens if I go running in the rain
  • Took mine out on the Robin Hood Half Marathon. Never calibrated it, and as my foot hit the 1 mile markers it announced "1 Mile" in the headphones. Brilliant. See my run results on my site at www.markcherry.com This kit is the best running gear after a pair of trainers!
  • I lovvveeeee this little gadget. Also done the Velcro attachment, put under laces and voila it stays put and the lady chats away giving you your running update. I ordered from Apple website site & it arrived in 2 days, good service. Nike website not bad and good as a motivator!!
  • Two questions - One serious, one not so serious.

1. How do I get it to announce automatically each mile? I have the ipod in the pocket of my running shorts and look at bit strange groping around to press the centre button.

2. On the Nike community page, I thought I was quite keen running about 8hrs a week. However, the top rated runs 96hrs! When does he sleep?
  • If you programme in a set distance to run i.e.4 miles then either a lady (or gentleman depending on your setting) will tell you how far you've run in mile increments. I think its great 'cause then you don't have to think about the run and at the halfway mark s/he says 'You've reached the halfway mark' time to turn around.......Fab

as for 96 hrs running a week, not much time left for beer/wine drinking either!!
  • Thanks, I've been using it on basic and hadn't got any feedback.
    I'll try running a set distance tomorrow morning.
  • Have you had Paula Radcliffe congratualting you on your longest run yet? I did a 5 mile run and chuckled at the end as she congratulated me on my longest run... cheeky woman, I have done 4 marathons (and all the miles of training!)!!
  • So cairocat.....did it work????
  • Tried it with 5 miles yesterday. Had mapped the run using mapmyrun and it was virtually spot on. It announced each mile and then the halfway point. Right near the end it told me that there was only 400m left. Then 300m, etc.
    I found it quite encouraging.
    Many thanks for your help. Btw, if there away of making it tell you every mile and the time it took you?
  • Fantastic.
    I agree , it is encouraging, especially as I ran my first ever 5 miles yesterday :) (a girl has to start somewhere)

You can press the middle button to get distance etc as you first mentioned, but then that interferes with the mile counter. I just look at the screen (i have my pod on an armband). I did see a fellow male runner yesterday who had his pod (complete with nike attachment) on his wrist it was bright red ....looked quite cool.
  • Well done Georgies, thats a brilliant start. Keep going and I hope you get bitten by the bug like us lot! I am having a bit of a nightmare at the moment as I am suppose to be running a half marathon this weekend but managed to get injured (not from running either, don't know how) so I've had to pull out. I was doing really well and feel quite down about it all. Never mind, putting in my application for London this week, so we'll see if I get a place.

Sorry for the rambling...
    Take care everyone
    Eleanor
  • I have the ipod arm band but the nano won't fit in it at present. I think I need to use a bit of needlework on it to adapt it.
    Thanks again and well done on your first 5 miler.
    I started last year, I've had good and bad days but still love it. Enjoy yourself.
  • Was thinking of getting one of these but had issues surrounding the nike trainer requirement, seems to be easily solvable though.

This person has even started selling a couple of bit of velcro on ebay and christened it the istrap, crafty

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-iStrap-Nike-Trainer-adapter-for-Apple-iPod-nano_W0QQitemZ150036138243QQihZ005QQcategoryZ48680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Hey eleanor thanks for the encouragement, and don't you get too down. Far better to recover (short term)and then be able to run rather than run injured and not be able to run longer term (if that makes sense!)
    Georgie

PS Watty get that velcro!
  • Thanks Georgies, I completely agree with you but being me I am just finding the whole thing frustrating as I've never been injured before!! Never mind hopefully I'll be back in my running shoes very soon.

How are your runs going?

Take care and have a good weekend everyone
    Eleanor
  • Runs are going well thanks. The Nike + thing is a bit addictive though. Its a great motivator in terms of seeing your progress on the Nike web site. Its got me going out after work when I've felt tired. Ticking the miles off slowly..... from small things big runners grow!!!
  • Definately, that is certainly the way to do it! I am hoping to get back to the gym on Monday, so we'll see how my heel is. It does means that I've done nothing apart from walking when at work on it. So hopefully it will be better.

Have a great weekend
    Eleanor