Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Well done Allien - If my counting is right you came in 94th lady ;)

It was far too hot for running, they maybe should have had a water station half way round - I know its not normally necessary for 5k, but it really was roasting.

• Hi all - especially hello to new posters like VickyT and Steve with brilliant beginners stories and races in mind . Don't get hung up on times , enjoy the race and finish with a sense of achievemnet rather than gasping and wretching swearing never again! - I've seen folk do that.

A hot day today - Mrs H and I walked last night for 40 minutes as we had much to do but the heat made the effort really count. I'm planning and drinking water right now ready for my run at about 5;30pm - I must run tonight as I have the 10mile race sunday - gym tommorrow - walking/gym fri - rest sat - race sundat, so it must be tonight - 10+ miles in this heat. I must be mad.
  • Awesome transformation, VickyT! A real inspiration to us all.

As far as races go,according to the sub 4.30 marathon schedule I'm planning to follow,I'm due a 10k on New Years Day. Hyde Park, here I come!
  • Lardy ass did another run - so who uses a log and which do y'all like best?

Any Garmin users - how can I put manual entries into the history?

Its now 23.6C in the shade here so good luck to anyone still planning to go.
  • Morning everyone - I really can't keep up with you all. Has taken me just over half an hour to skim through the thread since last evening.

Think I will have to walk around with a lap top hanging round my neck and the thread permanantly open just to keep up with you all.

Morning Allie - sorry I missed you to.

Welcome to all the new people since my last post. Sorry didn't write down all the names, but looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hope everyone is keeping cool today? I have tied my hair up wet which will keep my head cool today. I need it as I have a clients budget to finish - and not easy to concentrate in this heat.

Anyway - Sian - please put the list of everyone together - help us keep up with the team.

See you all later -
  • Hello, i'd like to introduce myself.
    I started running in April, although currently I have got myself an injury and been ordered by the doc to not run for 6 weeks, but I will be back out there soon – almost 2 weeks gone already!

I reached 27 and got fed up of just being an overweight girl and didn’t feel I was having as much fun as I should be, so I decided a change was in order. I like to challenge myself so I signed myself up for the race for life. I claimed I was going to run the whole thing to everyone I asked to sponsor me and was astounded by the amount of money people sponsored, so I got myself on the beginners plan and that’s when I got the running bug. I still find it funny that I can run. I remember feeling so proud when I was able to run my first 3 minutes without stopping; it was a real achievement, now im up to 45 mins! I’ve done a couple of other 5k races now, I was 9 mins behind the 2nd slowest person at the first race (200 club runners and me!) and only 20 seconds behind in the second race a month later. Im looking forward to finding a race where there are other beginners (or slower runners), but for now im quite enjoying coming last!

Running has made a huge difference to me, not just in fitness and weight. I’m writing my phd thesis at the moment, so running gives me something to look forward to and gets me away from the computer and my office mates like it because it makes me less grouchy! It has also boosted my confidence masses, according to my friends, which cant be a bad thing.

I was planning on doing my first 10k race in September but because of my injury I think that’s out the window, I needed the next 6 weeks to get my endurance up.But im going to see a physio to see if they cant speed my recovery up a bit! So never say never!
  • Good plan to see a physio i think, feejee. I'm off to see one tonight. I have had a niggle in my knee, and I want to correct whatever it is I'm doing wrong before it turns into an injury, I would be a nightmare without my new addiction! :-)

Hi Lynne...nice to see you.
  • Morning everyone - especially everyone who's joined in since last time I checked this thread. Made the mistake of not disabling the thread notification so had nearly 200 emails when I logged on this morning!! Great to hear all the stories - makes you want to get out there and run regardless.
  • Thanks Vicky for the encouragement. You're photos are lovely - what a transformation!. Vicky whereabouts are you?

Good introductory messages everyone. I feel like I know you all well already

And to you too Mike H. Well done to you and Mrs H and enjoy your run tonight (it'll be hot though).

Welcome Feejee and keep up the good work. Sorry you're out of action at the moment, but you'll be back!

LE - Hello! I know what you mean. I don't think I'll be able to go out running again - frightened I'll miss something on the thread - need a portable alright.
  • Allien - South Shields :)

I live 5 mins from the end of the GNR so all I have to do in October is jog home and straight into the shower ;)

Have always watched the GNR (from the saftey of the sofa), last year I went down the the finish to watch folks coming in - fantastic atmosphere, this is my first year taking part - which is shocking really since I've lived on the route my whole life.
  • Mij-I use fetcheveryone.com. I've not tried any of the other online logs available as fetch gives everyting I need at the mo and is fairly straight forward.
    Mind you I found my old hardcopy training diary from '99 the other day and it was quite nice to sit and read trhough the old run reports The advantage of the online one is it does all your pace and distance summaries automatically...
  • Mykey, Mij-I - i keep an excel sheet and use fetch too.

Feegee - like emandbelle says, its a good plan to see a physio - i had problems with my knee in February, which were sorted out with a trip to the physio and a few weeks rest
  • You can call me Em, guys...Belle is my gorgeous dog!!!

Em
    x
  • Morning everyone!

Vicki T and FeeGee...Welcome!

As it turns out, I didn't have to be on a roof with a blow torch THANK GOD!!! Its pretty darn hot down here today. Glad I don't have a run scheduled. Looks like its going to be another early one tomorrow morning...

Em, in answer to your question, I work for an Eco-Construction company. Really, I do R&D for them, but we do Sunpipe/Sunscoop installations (energy free lighting) and I run those installations. We have four on a roof for a university in Canterbury and there is NO shade!! Thank god its not a lead roof or it would be miserable...

Anywho, enough waffle. Did you notice how I'm rounding up runners in Kent? Which one of you is from just outside Dover?? I work in Capel le Ferne just up the road! I won't invite you for a run yet...your a little too fast for me!

Keep cool everybody!
  • Steve Williams- it was you! Whereabouts are you located in Kent???
  • Hey UK...that's great...you got any literature??? really interested in that. Mail me. :-)
    (i know you are too far away to come crawling on my roof though)
  • Ice QueenIce Queen ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone :-)

Feejee - I'm a PhD student too and I feel exactly the same. I'm not writing up yet (I'm a second year) but running really gives me something to look forward to after a long day in front of the computer and I've already thought about how it will break up the even longer days when I'm writing up. It's also better for me to go running from the department rather than home as it's right by my route (which is flat, traffic free and I know my distances as it's the Swansea Bay 10k route, whereas home is up a big hill, you have to stop every few yeards to cross a road and I don't know how far I've gone - I always end up walking from home to the seafront and running there anyway)...
  • Hi people, and a big welcome to the new posters!

Mykey, will check out the link you sent for tech clothing. In the meantime, I took Big Daves great design work and put it in place of mine. Dave, sorry I had to enlarge the images to various sizes, and the text with the URL really didnt like that.

Still, what do folks think???

http://www.cafepress.com/inspirerc

Must go and read up on how to post links...
  • Morning all ... and welcome Vicky, Steve and Feejee.

Great inspirational story Vicky. And beautiful wedding photos. You must have a lot of guts and determination to have ignored the peer pressure and keep going with your weight loss - methinks there were a few green-eyed monsters lurking around! Very well done to you :-)

Boy is it hot!! At this rate I'll be doing my run at midnight tonight!

Bringing list forward (I've added you in PP) .. let me know if I've missed anyone. The list is so big now I'll have to split it soon !!!!!
  • Morning all :-)

I am deeply envious of you seafront runners, although I do have Dartmoor so mustn't complain!

Welcome to Vicky, Steve and Feejee and congratulations on each of your lifestyle changes, not easy when we all tend to get stuck into our habits, even if they are not healthy. Loved seeing the photos Vicky, especially how happy you now look!

UKY The ecological lighting (and heating) side of things interests me too as we have some renovations to do here. Do you mind if I ask you for details when we get to the planning stages?

I am not forgetting regular friends here but quite busy saying hello at the moment. DD and I are off to near Basingstoke this evening to stay with friends for a couple of days. Not sure I will be running as it is even hotter up there and I'll probably be nattering (moi?)too much to find the time!

Got the boiler and Aga engineer here at the mo, so I've been staying out of the way (and enjoying reading INSPIRE) but had better go and do something towards packing etc.

Bye for now :-)
  • INSPIRE Running Club - Race Details

Mike – Trentham 10mile – 23rd July
    Beaker – Chicks Chase, MK – 5k – 27th July
    Happy – 26th Wedding Day Race, Bushy Park – 7k – 28th July
    Daniel - Plymouth Aquathon, 500m sea swim, 5k run – 19th Aug
    Dingus, Peterhead - Peterhead 10k - 27th Aug.
    LE & Hubby – Overton – 5 mile – 2nd Sept
    Hotfeet – Women’s Hydroactive Challenge, Hyde Park – 5K – 3rd Sept
    Bourne – Women’s Hydroactive Challenge, Hyde Park – 5K – 3rd Sept
    Emmilou – Yorkshireman Half Mara – 13.1 miles – 5th Sept
    Allien - Jelly Tea Run - 10 miles - 10th Sept
    Mike H - Lichfield 10K - 10th Sept
    Em, Forest Of Dean - Badminton 10k - 17th Sept
    Siân & Mykey – Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge – 5k – 17th Sept
    Uk Yankee Singleton, Kent - Faversham 10k -17th Sept
    Rob (Treiziste) – Cancer Research race – 10k – 17th Sept
    Ice Queen – Swansea Bay – 10k – 24th Sept
    Matilda – Swansea Bay – 10k – 24th Sept
    Purple Penguin – Roade Triathlon – 24th Sept
    Dingus, Peterhead – GNR - 13.1 miles - 1st Oct
    Corinthian – GNR – 13.1miles – 1st Oct
    Morgs – GNR – 13.1 miles – 1st Oct
    Bourne – RunLondon – 10k – 8th Oct
    Rob – Great Cumbrian Run – 13.1 miles – 15th Oct
    Bourne – Leeds Castle, Cancer Research – 10k – 15th Oct
    Minardi – GER – 13.1 miles – 15h Oct
    Matilda – Cardiff Half Mara – 13.1 miles – 15th Oct
    LE – GSR - 10miles - 22nd Oct
    Little Tiger – Weston Park, Cancer Research – 10k – 22nd Oct
    Happy – New York Marathon – 26.2miles – 5th Nov
    INSPIRE Ladies – Dingus’ 5K Kilt run, TBA

If you would like your upcoming race details posted please just post the request giving where it is, date of run, length of run – cheers

Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 and 2
    Corinthian – another inspiring story – Page 4
    More INSPIRing stories – Pages 9 & 10 and more .. Pages 12 & 13
    (in fact, if you have time trawl the whole first 14 pages!!! Check out any long post!)
    Want to lose weight – great inspiring story from Vicky – Page 15 and Vicky’s story

Take a look at our old thread for more inspiration …. Old Thread

Photos:
    DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK YankeeDaniel’s PhotosLE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos

It is never too late to join our club … everyone is very welcome .. so come on in and chat :-)
  • Lets look

I have the design as a word document, which I can send/upload.
  • Super run Dan !
    Glad you're back Mykey + Siân, hope you're back out running soon, mates !
    Happy Chap - thx for the message mate !!
    Fine to hear from you UKY, LE, Stu, EM + Allie, take care girls and all the other folk.
    How's thing's Shani?

Really cool here today so far, lots of fog going about .

• OK ... I definitely think the list is getting too long!!!

What do you think I should do? I want to keep the 'Best Pages' section fairly visible for newcomers and anyone who has been away from the list for a while. I also want to keep upcoming races that are nearing their date fairly visible too.

How about I ...
    split the later races races from the rest and post what is left as normal, then post the whole race list just every now and then ???

or ...
    simply split the list into two .. one race list and one everything else, then post either or both as I think it is appropriate???
  • Hi Dingus - fine mate. Thanks for asking :-)

I lost my original post twice ... and in retyping missed out ....

Good to see you back Siân and Mykey !!!
  • You're kiddin Fred??? Fog??? I'll be right up!
  • Stu/Dave- Great design work they look great. That site is great they look like phots of real shirts! However I kind of like the idea of having my name (or RW nickname) on the front so people know who I am and to encourage support (having seen loads on FLM). Sorry if that idea over complicates the issue...
  • Yes, OTH, why don't you split the race list with the everything else list and use your discretion.

Misty- feel free to email me whenever! We really only work in Kent, but we do consulting as well.