Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Hi All

I'm back!! I've caught up to page 6!! Then thought this is really silly if I try and catch up on everything all at once I'll never post again!!

Yesterday was hard but a wonderful tribute to a woman who was one in a million. I laughed and cried and as my darling huband said I even ran in the morning (which helped me so much!).

Anyway back to the thread - can you all slow down please so I can catch up properly!

Thanks for you good wishes ... Siân xx
  • How about keeping the race list to 30days? I think this will be more work for you though. And try leaving the best bits out, just keep an eye, like when I go on my hols...I'll be wanting it when I get back.

mart has his phone sorted, and I just changed mine for a better one for going on-line, but there's no way i can keep up with this. i will be headed for the divorce courts by day two of my hols!

:-)
  • hi Siân. Good to see you matey.

:-)
  • well OTH this will shorten your list, you can take my aquathon off, im so annoyed and upset. I had to go back to the hospital for a check up and my ear is not healing correctly, resulting in that im not allowed in the water to swim for the rest of the summer. Not a happy bunny.
  • Vicky, thanks for posting your story. It has really given me a real boost to not only get fitter (with weight loss as a welcome side effect), but to make a real effort with eating more healthily.

Its also made me think about taking up swimming too.
  • I'd rather keep the 'best bits' more visible Em as it is for newcomers too ... and we never know when they might be looking in. Most peeps have their thread options set to look at last page first, so if they come on and see lots of chat but no 'best bits' they may simply go away again never knowing what they missed LOL!
  • Dan, sorry about your bad news mate. Really, hope it heals soon, and properly too.
  • <<<<massive hugs>>> oh, Dan, I am sooooo sorry for you mate. What a real bummer!!! Gutted! I really was thinking of coming down to cheer you on too. All I can say is, chin up mate, you can still run and cycle and next year think how much quicker you will be able to do the aquathon in. I know it's not much consolation as you love swimmimg so much :( Thinking of you.
  • thanks OTH and Stu, im so down right now its annoying. well at least my running with have 100% concentration anyway, there is another aquathon in october but a pool based one so ill go for that!.
  • Dan, Sorry that is really rotten luck! How about having a look for some ordinary races instead as you seem to be running so well? Very disappointing for you, I hope you are not in any pain too.

Sian ((Hugs))Very much the same for me at my grandmothers funeral week before last. I think of her such a lot though and my aunt read a lovely piece about her being in the sky, trees and flowers etc. Somehow true and I can conjure up her dear face, wisdom and laughter in my thoughts whenever I want-we always have that. Bless you though.
  • Sorry about that Dan. You must be gutted. Like your attitude though..onto the next thing. Good on ya.

How do you feel the op went, has it made a big difference to you? Will it be worth this disappointment?

OTH...whatever re the list...I just wanted to make sure if it was slowed down a bit, that it would be somewhere handyish when I'm back at the end of next week. :-)
  • Hi all,
    I'm back from the docs, and its bad news/good news time. Apparently I've torn a calf mucsle..now how in he!! did I do that? He advised me to not run for a couple of weeks but can swim. He suggested cycling, but I can't ride and don't own an exercise bike, and frankly I'm too tight to pay for gym sessions. Anyway, I also went to the running shop and got some insoles which seem to support my inner leg..my knee felt like it was about to give way, but is much better with the insoles.

Dan, sorry you're going to miss the aquathon..where's the one in October..maybe I'll come and cheer you on

Misty and OTH thanks for the advice about resting not being a total disater. Misty, the shop I go to is Frank Elford's in Mayflower Street.
  • Daniel- So sorry to hear your news! Good for you for not getting too down and looking for an alternative!
  • You need to think about how you tore your muscle Kwilter, so that you don't get out there and do the same thing again? There will be some good strengthening excercises to help, but it will be a case of finding the right thing. Someone amongst us must have had a similar thing, and they might point you in the right direction?
  • Dan sorry to hear you news - keep your chin up though - you will be back in no time.

you to kwilter - good to listen to the advice given

Hi everyone else - Sian are you up with us yet? I keep popping in and have about 4 pages to read to keep up.

OTH - happy for you to split the list of runs. Maybe put the next two months worth in so July and August for now and rotate that way. Happy for you to do it anyway you wish as we do appreciate your input and support.

Em - when is your next holiday? We are currently looking for an exciting September two weeks.
  • thanks Em, I'm thinking of starving myself next week to afford a session with a sports physio. My hubby also works where there's good sports advice (can't say where or I'd have to kill you after ;-)) and he's going to ask for some exercises for me to do
  • Lynne, we are away on Saturday...only a really local campsite with a fishing lake, and not much to do except walk, run and relax. The school hols start on Friday, which is also Foo's 7th birthday.

What kind of thing are you thinking of? September...I would love a mountain and lakes style hiking watersports holiday if I were you. not one for sitting in the sun though me.
  • OTH Splitting the list sounds like a good idea, not saying this just because I am not on the race list honest! I trust your discretion, it has worked wonders for us so far.

Dan Glad you have found something else already :-) You don't let the grass grow, do you?

UK Thanks!

Dingus Up there in the nice cooling fog, how lucky is that! I appreciate it is not good for those at sea though or perhaps your guys on the roads.

Kwilter a couple of weeks will whiz by and it is great weather for swimming. Here's hoping you make a speedy recovery :-)
    I'll have a look in Frank Elford's when next in town, I hadn't realised Plymouth had a running shop-my phone book goes Exeter way!
  • OK...I don't wanna die Kwilter...you have me intrigued though!!!
    Our physio is £25. for the first session, which I am happy with...better value than a Chinese take away?
  • Kwilter-You mentioned it on a different thread - one about 'bayonettng' people...
    PS Really wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of you :-)
  • Kwilter .. so sorry to hear about the torn calf muscle. 2 weeks always seems so long, but you'll be back to running in no time if you follow the Dr's advice. I went to physio when I did my calf in and was told to hold off for two weeks. It seemed to make no difference for about a week and a half, then suddenly everything was fine again. No probs (touch wood) since.
  • Anyone interested in wicking INSPIRE t-shirts might want to have a look here...

http://www.ronhill.com/specials/main.html

Of course you can get custom technical t-shirts (along with other items), and prices seem good too. Only problem is it looks like you have to buy individual items (icluding individual sizes, although I may have read this wrong) in multiples of 5.
  • not really a secret Misty and Mykey, mr Kwilter works at the military prison in Colchester...which is handy as we live in Plymouth.

I'll check local physio prices..just assumed they'd be huge. £25 doesn't sound so bad really
  • Stu...that looks good, Ron Hill aswell...but... singlets? Call me fussy...???
    shame, i can't see Tshirts on there.
    i just don't have the body for running vests...scary for all the wildlife in the woods...
  • Stu-Have a look here as wellspreadshirt.net.
    I can't get it (or the ronhil site) to work probably due to my security settings in work. I'll have a look from home later.
    Dan/Kwilter-Sorry about the bad news on the training front. Keep the chins up. Kwilter can you resort to a walking programme or is this off limits as well(See Mike H's posts)? Whatever you do build it up slowly.
  • wow 40 posts since i had my lunch.

kwilter - can you not get a physio referal through your doc? - mine was based as part of the practice - pretty useful as he turned out to be a distance runner :) Either way swimming is a great substitute for running when you cant run.

em - (totally off topic) is belle a tri coloured collie? - she looks well cute, my collie murph is flaked out having stolen half of Andy's lastnight pizza from a box outside the back door.

Overthehill, Mistymorn, Stu R & anyone i've missed - thanx for the support :)

• I noticed Ron Hill had t-shirts on their price list, but they seem to be missing from the rest of the specials area. I just assumed you could get the same colours and designs in both garments.
  • yes...she is a tri, and she is cute too. Thank you. :-)

She is normally here under my desk, but she is having the day off today with my other two on account of it being too hot here.
  • spreadshirt.net seem to be all cotton like cafepress Mykey :(
  • Then that would be fab Stu. I prefered the original Beetroot though...

(hold your fire...I was just saying!!!)