Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Will take a look this weekend Q

Aiming for a least an hours run tomorrow before work, started talking to a lady in the gym who is aiming for the same thing as me so might of found a future training partner
  • 3 miles tonight a little bit warm

• Hi guys

I have been so busy at work this week image

I have been running every night this week image Q I went about 8 last night and it was just pleasant, planning maybe a tad later tonight

Have a good weekend everyone

•  well done on the running Booey

ran 6 miles this morning a nice run not too warm

•  4 miles tonight felt a bit laboured

• Took the running outside this morning at a country park, only did about a mile, didn't want to push it on rougher ground will see how the Achilles feels tomorrow
  • well done on the run Dee hope the achilles is feeling ok

ran 3 miles tonight another warm one

• Hello all

well done Dee and Q - good to see you are getting out there.

A difficult week for me, daughter not so good this week, plus my 82 year old father had a fall gave us a bit of a scare!

Having done my first good LSR for ages last week, I have a problem with my ankle and have not been able to run sinceimage

• hope your dad's ok MWW and your daughter get's better soon. hope you get your ankle sorted and can get back to running

ran 6 miles this morning quite warm out there

• Morning all

Thanks Q - my Dad is okay, cuts and bruises mostly, but need to get him an appointment with his consultant to see if there is anything that be done to ease the dizziness that I think caused him to fall.

Nice swim for me this morning!

• Sorry to hear about Ur dad mad.

Looks like u r doing well Q.

Not been able to do anything for the past week been too ill, hoping to get a run in b4 the weekend. On the plus side Achilles was fine after the outside run image

Just want to feel a bit better so I can train again only 8/9 weeks till the 10k, keeping it realistic and aiming for about 70 mins (slow I know, but sensible)
  • Hello everyone,

I've been persuaded by all the lovely stories and encouragment at the start of this long thread to 'come out' and admit to the world that I am trying to learn to run! Previously I lost 4 stone and was very fit and would run up to 5k but never felt I could do more. I'm now 3 stone overweight and very unfit. I'm fed up with trying to diet so I've decided to focus on running and eating sensibly. I want to be able to run for an hour, as this has always seemed to me like an amazing thing to be able to do, so I'm following a training plan to run 10k.

My sticking point is this - I'm really competitive (with myself mainly) so training for a race would really work for me but although I've looked a few up, I'm nervous about signing up for them. As I'm in week 3 of a 10 week training programme I have no idea how slow I'll be at 10k when I get there and I don't want to sign up for a race that turns out to be of a really high standard and I finish the race 20 minutes after everyone else (I don't mind being last just without embaressing myself!). I'm in south yorkshire and have been looking at doing the Cusworth 10k and/or the Pickering and Moors 10k. 

Can anyone give me any advice about either of these races or about signing up for your first race in general?!

Thank you!

• Hi guys

Been busy again at work hence lack of posting.  Went club running last night did 5.7 miles and it was really nice image less than 3 weeks to my HM now image

Mad - hope eveything is ok image you certainly have your share of problems dont you image you must be wonder women to cope with it all image

Q - sounds like your running is going well as always image well done

Dee - hope its going ok, keep taking it easy and you will get there

Where is everyone these days btw image not heard from TL or Mykey for ages image hope they are ok

• Oops sorry MedicDaisy I nearly forgot you sorry image welcome to the thread image and well done on getting back to running, its certainly a good way to lose weight

When I started road running a year back, I did a couple of 5K's before I entered a 10K.  I made sure I entered one that was more a charity run than an elite runners race.  That way there is a whole mixture of people that take part so you really dont need to worry about finishing last or times etc, there will always be someone behind you image just go for it, you will surprise yourself image

• welcome to the thread medicdaisy. is there a parkrun nearby as that would be a good way to start , they are free to enter but you must regester beforehand. they have runners of all abilities

• Hello INSPIRE!

I was thinking of you all last night as I was out 'running'. I was thinking back to the olden days when I was marathon training, or even 5k training and waiting for Mart to get back from his run to look after the girls so that I could get out and all the juggling we had to do to make it possible. Last night, not for the first time, I was out with the afore mentioned girls trailing in their wake as they bobbed along in front of me all lycra'd up and out together on our beautiful forest trails. The moment made me both proud of them, and slightly nostalgic.

Hope you are all doing fine. to say I am running would be overstating it, but I am not a complete couch potato, and my girls are both out running several times a week which helps keep me motivated.

Love to you all!

Em xxxxxx image

• Hi Medicdaisy. DO NOT worry about finishing last, even if it is by a LOOOOONG way. You will not be embarrassed, you will find you are only supported and encouraged, and not in a patronising way either.

Have a look if there is a Cancer Research 10k near you. That is a lovely series and does attract all sorts of runners. Another tip is to load up last year's results for an event you are interested in and see how wide-spread the finishing times are which will give you a hint as to where you might fit. Another tip...don't start too fast! Everyone will tell you how easy it is to do that on race day, especially if you are competitive with yourself as you mention. Good luck! xxx

• hi em, nice to see you are still doing something even if it's following the girls around

• Welcome Medicdaisy. I'm very much like you very competitive but after my surgery have really had a word with myself as my calf isn't what it used to be, I've just reached my target weight and lost 3 stone in 8 months feel great. Just take it easy and it will all come together. I've got my first 10k in about 6 weeks ice just realised, not the 9 or 10 I thought it was.

On the plus side today I did a treadmill run managed 10k in 72 minutes, slow I know but I got to race distance, now really need to run outside more as its harder than on a tready
  • Thanks Q. image

Dee...it might be physically harder to run outside, but don't you find that it's easier on the brain and mind so quite an even trade? Hope your 10k outside goes well for you.

• Good point emanbelle, because I originally got my injury from running outside I think I have a bit of a mental block on it. Think it's time to have a word with myself and just go for it on some smooth ground
  • Went for an outside run, only did about 4k, so annoyed and frustrated at myself.

Still it's told me one important thing, I need to run outside alot more before the 10k event I've entered
  • Thanks Q. Finding the outside running hard, but after using GPS tonight I kinda discovered why. I ran a route of 2.23 miles tonight in 20 minutes, on the tready I'm running at 12 minute mile pace.

Note to self - run slower outside
  • Hi Guys

Hope you all had a good BH weekend image I ran Sat 6.2 miles and Monday 5 miles still no LSR and I have HM a week on sunday image

Dee - tready and road running totally different, dont use the same stats

• Thanks booey

I'm aiming to do most runs outside now so I have 5 weeks to become used to road running. Good running btw and hope all goes well for your HM x
  •  well done on the running Booey, good luck with the HM

that should be enough time Dee

got  a 4 mile run to do tonight

• Another 2.2 mile run in about the same time. Going to up the distance next week.

Calf is niggling abut so a friend that's a physio gave me a sports massage painful but worth it. Seems I have a small tear and a knot of muscle, but, nothing do serious I can't train
  • hope it doesn't get any worse Dee

ran 7 miles this morning a good run, things seem to be clicking right now

• Lots of icing and stretching seems to be keeping it at bay, icing before and after a run. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse the physio is happy for me to continue training.

Good run there Q