Bad tummy!

Comments

• I posted on here or another thread a couple of weeks back.

I was talking with someone at my running club. She is 130% convinced that Artichoke tablets have sorted her out. She said she had horrendous problems and had tried everything. low fat diet, high fat diet, no fruit, milk, wheat everything however artichoke tablets have sorted her out. She now has no problems.

She did say it takes about a month to start working after starting to take them though.

May be worth giving it a go.

This is such a common problem. Apparently over 50% of runners suffer.

Interested to know how people get on.
  • Wednesday
    Good luck for Sunday and don't pull out. There are lots of suggestions that people have posted that might help and more information in some of the articles.

Have a good race!

• I thought I had beaten this problem, I've been taking probiotics every morning and have had no problem for a few weeks now. Until this morning.........................

4 Pit stops in 13 miles ☺
  • Buffy,

thanks for the support.
    I managed to get round the 10k on Sunday with no stomach problems, helped by some tips posted here and Immodium

yay !!

going to my local health food shop today in search of artichoke tablets.
  • I'm amazed others have this problem- I thought I was the only one!
  • boing--and there are loads more
  • I was suffering a similar problem to this and read somewhere that it could be down to too much fructose. I cut out the daily dose of Orange Juice and I haven't suffered since!
  • Reading through a lot of these and it sounds like a real pain to have to cut out this, that and the other for hours/days/weeks - I've found through experience that quite simply :-
    a) not overindulging the night before
    b) emptying bowels right before the race
    sorts it out pretty effectively!
    But I guess it is very much an individual thing.
  • emptying bowels just before is no guarantee of anything
  • Like I said though, I guess it is an individual thing: and perhaps it works for me partly on a psychological level! I did think about cutting out wheat, but it seemed like a lot of effort and I have to say that my problems probably aren't to the extent of some.
  • WOW!
    Everyone on this [year old] thread has the same issues as me!
    Hello from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, USA.
    I will give the Aloe a try...and then perhaps press my doc to write a script for the Lomotil.
    I have tried EVERYTHING without success.

*sigh*
  • I have had this problem for the last 12 months, and have tried all different changes to diet and routine. But still get caught about 1 in 3 runs, especially if I start at a fast pace. Have posted on a number of threads to find help. As this thread goes back to last year, has anybody had sucess with the Aloe.
    ...somthing else to try
  • hi trudger

I need to 'evacuate' every other mile or so, and it DRIVES ME BATTY!

On the advice of my doctor, I tried the imodium trick for two of my runs this week:

took 2 on monday evening, then one more on tuesday morning....then ran 4 miles on the TM at noon with NO PIT STOPS.

then took another imodium on weds morning, went snowshoeing and lifted weights after work [I never have the urge other than when running] without issue

took another imodium thursday morning and did a 7 miler in the afternoon....had to stop in a local school at mile 2, and was fine after that.

I also started drinking 2 oz daily of the aloe juice; perhaps the combination has worked at "slowing me down"

today I have a bike spin on tap and am not taking imodium, to give my bod a break

good luck
  • I am afraid I think it is something we just have to live with!! I find the best thing is to go for a mile run, pop back home, then off out again and usually no problem after that.

Take immodium for races and sometimes if I am out with a group to save embarrassment, have tried all sorts of changes to diet, but no luck.
  • nods quietly
    Just keep tissues with you and plan your routes carefully
  • Does anyone think it could be to do with car fumes/pollution?

I live in london and often get this problem, but it's not as bad if I run in the countryside.

Psychological??
  • Might be that you have a different diet when you are in the country though?

I went through a spell where I was having terrible trouble with my guts. I did a bit of research and found out that too much fructose could be the culprit. I used to have a large bottle of Orange Juice first thing every morning, then snack on raisins and would suffer on my lunchtime run. I cut both out and that solved the problem.
  • another one of us with this problem... I have IBS though, so yaking imodium might not be too good for me. I tend to go from one extreme to the other if i take tablets, so i think i will have to go with the looking at what i eat route. I might try the artichoke tablets or aloe juice though.
  • I wish it were as easy as taking the imodium [as my doctor suggested]
    I have tried it for 2 weeks, with only minimum change...slows things down, but I still have a horrid sense of urgency and often still have accidents.

Why do still I love to run so much even with all of this going on?
    I am truly an odd duck.

• alright!

Adopt-a-Bush campaign...where do I send my tax deductible donations?
    so, guide me and my tissues to the 'another nice mess' thread....what forum?
  • Hi folks,
    I've suffered this too. However I have found a course of acupuncture helpful. Not cheap but it worked for me.
  •   Please please has anyone got  a solution to the problem of  loose bowels. I'll give up anything except the running but its got so bad - sometimes 4/5 times in an hour that I'm going to have to . manage with short races by only eating non fiberous food and getting a horrendous sore gut during the race. I live in a very rural area so bushes are frequent but its so weakening and just thinking about it spoils the whole run
  • Only solution which helps is the one I mention above about going for a run around home,popping home as required and then out again, sometimes I still have to go when out, but it does seem to help - neighbours must think I am mad, but they probably do anyway.

Tried all sorts of diets, with no luck, take Lomotil for races and when I am doing a run with a group and don't want the embarrassment of stopping.

Whizzy

• hi all,

well this is still a problem for me. I have cut out brown bread which has helped. I have to make sure i got a public toilet on  route. normaly a mile into my run. Its a pain and i realy wish i could control it.

I keep on anything with too much fibre but somtimes it just  happens. not much i think we can do about it? i dont get it so much on race day. as nervos make sure i am on the toilet before the race.

I dont think their is any easy answer,, i just love running toooooooo much image

• Buttercups

Like you I don't want to give up running, I run with others and have had to admit to this embarassing problem, but somehow that helped to make it a bit better, may be it makes be run more relaxed, still take tablets when I feel I need to though.

Whizzy

• Hi All,

This is the first time I've joined a forum.

After a lot of searching, I've only just found this thread. Thought reading other people suffer with this problem would make me feel better but I now realise things could get a lot worse! It's so restricting, I really want to run with a local club or find a running partner but am too embarrassed by the fact my bowels control my runs! I tend to plan routes which mean I am never too far from home, but it's SO boring. 

I am happy to take Immodium or equivalent on race days, but those of you who take it regularly, do you not find it causes constipation?

• Hi

I do take tablets, and I do find that they can cause constipation, so I go for a short run to alleviate this or a brisk walk first thing in the morning - it is a bit of a viscious circle................

• The idea of a run, then nip back home then out again is great. Unfortunately it's more random for me and I generally don't know if I'm going to have a good day or a bad day. It's so depressing. Do you run with other people? I am too embarassed to run with others in case it's a bad day, and generally, if I'm with others then it is, I definitely think psychology plays a part in it. Oh.. why me??!