Bad tummy!

13»

Comments

• My experiences really echo your's above Jenny. - I used to run with a club, but gave up to run on my own about 3 months ago as it got so bad. Is your's worse in the summer too? Mine is, and I think it might be heat which aggrevates it.

Not sure if it's psychological, as even when I specifically run on routes with loos, it is still a problem after the 4 mile mark. Have resigned myself to running 5 or 6 shorter runs in the week, and have really had to do away with the long sunday run, as they kept getting ruined by the need to pop home!

Well I guess there are others out there like us, so we are not sufferring alone image Just a shame, as it's taken the enjoyment out of running a bit - I'm sure you agree?

Also - You mention is is quite random, so perhaps it is worth keeping a food / drink diary too see if anything you've eaten the day before might trigger it?

• How did anyone get on with the Artichoke method any updates?
  • Tried artichoke, tried everything, almost to giving up running.

Jenny - it can be embarrassing when out with a group, but I seem to be able to get around it, some close friends know of the problem and are very supportive - if I plod slowly, no problem, and it is worse in the evening, so I do take tablets when necessary - weather does not seem to make any difference.

Whizzy

• Thanks guys. I too find plodding slowly seems to help which is another reason why I am nervous of running with a group as I can't control the pace as easily. I think the warm weather might also be a factor for me, perhaps because it make the run harder and it's definitely worse when I push myself. Food diary is also a good idea. I did it for a while and then the problem eased  for a couple of weeks (not due to any changes in my diet) so stopped monitoring my food. Guess I need to do it again. Although from reading some of the forum threads, some people talk about cutting out whole food groups for up to 2 days before a run. How does that work if you run several times a week? At least I know it's a common problem, that does make me feel marginally better!
  • It's very comforting (in a weird sorta way) to hear there is so much about this issue. I have run for about 20 years and only now am finding I have this same "urgency". I have started training for the LM (my first marathon - but have done halfs and tri's) so my mileage and pace have increased - so maybe it's related to that. I was also wondering if it was an age-related thing - you know - everything gets a bit looser as we get older (now that I am 40) - not just on the outside (sorry if that's too graphic).  In the first instance, I will cut out dairy and decrease fibre and fructose intake 24-48 hours b4 a run - since I seem to be experiencing this not just with runs <10miles.  If this is unsuccessful - I will move on to probiotic drinks, aloe juice and artichoke tablets - in that order.  Will keep you all posted.

Wish me luck!

• This does sounds like identifying foods as the main cause of the problem

For me, I identified Chocolate upsets the stomach, however I avoid it. What I've noticed that after about 1-2 miles I tend to need to go, even after Imodium. My record on a single run was to get up 2 hours early, 4 trips to the loo and 2 imodium before starting and still Ineeded to go, albeit 5 miles later.

My worry is entering a longer race, where there are no loos scattered along the course. I fully sympathise with the IBS brigade having a history of Crohns, and also agree a great deal is psycological. Even some 10 years after the clinical all clear, I still stick ot my old habits (end of isle at cinema etc).

Anyway my theory is, the act of running has an effect on the stomach.

• Having suffered once or twice with the dreaded Runners trots, i can sympathise with anyone who has real problems, I often wondered about the amount of artificial sweetners in alot of the sports drinks, aspartamin I believe has laxative effects.
  • Its heartening to read this thread, I really thought I was the only one. I have never pooed in public until I started running and got caught very short. image Its really made me nervous.  It only hits me occasionally but is getting more common as I am getting fitter and going faster for longer.  I think its all the jiggling.  I do notice that its worse if I havent run for a couple of days, its almost like my body needs a good clear out or  something.  As I tend to run in the evenings I won't go if I haven't been that day or I know there will be trouble! I think I will try a food diary and see if I can pin point the cause. 

All the advice has been interesting to read.

• I'm still struggling with this thing too and it has got worse as I've got faster. I've found that I can do a 2 mile warmup run before half-marathons so as to loosen things up and clear myself out.  But when doing a full marathon we are usually advised not to do a warmup but to save your energy - why do 28 miles when 26 would do!  What do others think of this?

• Been running on and off for a few year, just getting back into it after an 18 month break with achillees tendontis. Never suffered from the trots, until earlier this week. Have been building up my distance preparing for my first race (10k) in almost 2 years. I usually run alone, but ran with colleagues at work Wednesday lunchtime. Aiming to run 10k for the first time. Felt quite anxious. Messed up my pacing - not used to running with others and started out far too fast. Pushed myself really hard to get through - with hindsight (such a good thing) over did it. Felt totally exhausted (and completed in a far quicker time than I'd planned). No trots, until I got home. Been pebble dashing for England for the last 2 days.

I have Crohn's and IBS which I mostly control with a wheat and diary free diet. I think it was a combination of nerves and pushing myself too hard. Pacing has always been a problem - may have to invest in a Garmin to help - especially as I know that come race day the nerves will really kick in. I'll try some of the suggestions here about running a bit slower too and see if that helps.

Anyone any good advice on combating pre race nerves?
  • Thank god i am not alone! I am fine on my normal every day runs which vary from 6 to 8 miles but the last 2 times i have done 10k races my stomach really plays up. I am fine for about the first hour after the race  and then oh my god all hell breaks loose!!  Thought it was the heat from the first run as did  The Langdale St Georges 10k and it was roasting but the Blackpool 10k last sunday was cooler so not that then? Is it just nerves from the runs?
  • I have just done the London Marathon and developed the 'trots' at 15 miles and had to stop at every toilet until the finish. Scary as there are no bushes and thousands of people watching.  Thought it was diet but I am doing all the right things.Happened  during a training 20 mile race too but this was in the countrside so I could leap over in to fields.

Think it must be nerves.

• Hello!  How interesting that this strand has been running for so long and Stephanie, congratulations on completing the marathon on Sunday.

I've suffered on and off for the whole time I've been running (about 4 years) but certainly since I started running longer distances and more frequently. I did try giving up dairy for a while bfore I ran a marathon in 2007 but I can't help suspect it was more psycological than anything.  I still had to stop at about half way for a clear-out.

I guess my luck is that once I've been, that tends to be it so if I nip behind a bush I know the problem will be solved in the short-term.

I do generally eat fairly badly and apart from the enjoyment, running is something I do to try and control my weight.  And by 'control', I mean stop myself being massive - I could still do with losing a stone or 3!

I'm certainly going to try the pro-biotic drinks and the aloe vera stuff. My concern with something like Immodium is the possible side effects, especially on a longer run.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good thread...goes way back!

I'm like you lot, although I've found the faster I've got the worse this has become.

I can remember the days I used to get home, eat a heavy meal, and go out 45mins later for a 6-7miles at medium hard pace and be fine.

Over time that led to inevitable problems, so I ate before i ran.

Now i've moved onto 50-70miles a week, and am finding my super healthy diet has many potential issues.

I cut out the fruit and lucozade anytime before a run.But this hasn't been enough.

Im now wondering whether it's the "insoluble" fibre, such as raw veg, the pasta, or bread causing problems. Maybe it's the skimmed milk i have a fair bit of.

To date, I've only had issues in a race once out of 125races, and that was simply too much water before thre race. N

On a race day it's a struct weetabix and toast vibe, 3hours before the start. You start the race a little hungry but completely empty so no risk.The nerves/adrenaline and warm up make extra sure you're dry and ready to go.

Bit harder in the week. Some days you go for an easy paced run and it hits you, other days you can get through a tough 7mile efforts session with no problems.

Becoming one arse of a problem.Literally

Doc gave some mebeverine tablets which eased a stomach pain a bit but didn't really do much to the pit stops.

Another time got some fibre tablets when i had severe tight bloating, which fixed that, but caused monumental extra problems on runs!

• Am glad I stumbled on this thread, even though it goes back a long way, feeling really fed up after yet another race ruined by tummy troubles and it's helpful to know I'm not the only one!!  I've tried all sorts but can't seem to sort it out, have been recently diagnosed with IBS, but my doctor just said rather unsympathetically to live with it!  Will be interested to try the aloe juice and see if that helps!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

had a race today, and no probs whatsoever like always in races.

i guess, it's just a case of applying the principals of why it's never a problem in races but can be in normal runs.

I'd say the below help

• not eating 3hours before
    • no fruit, raw veg. Minimal milk or fruit juice until after runs.
    • toast and weetabix seem to be especially stomach friendly.
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    For me, a couple of immodium before a race helps, long training runs I know where the loos are until I get in to the park or I turn right and into the country.  I've also changed to soya milk which helps and I've cut down from 4/5 apples and a couple of bananas a day to one of  each. I find that a diet coke or two get's me going too so I try to cut that out when I can.