Me and my training

Im not really 100% sure of how much training i should do. At the moment i just run every so often. I started taking running reasonably serious about a month ago so im a begginer really.

The reason for this thread is for your advice, ive been trying to get information about what sort of training i should be doing. I have written what i do on other threads but i decided to stick it on my own one.

Last week i went swimming monday, tuesday, wednesday and friday. I ran 4 miles on monday, 3 miles on thursday and i did a 5 minute run on saturday.

This week i have been swimming monday and wednesday, ran 4 miles on mon and a slow 4 miles on tuesday. I plan to do another run on thursday and go swimming on friday.

I am training to do the watford 10k. I have never run this distance but i want to get there before the 5th May.

What should my weekly milage actually be? Does it matter if im running to fast? i like running fast!

All advice appreiciated, thanx for your time.

L8n

Comments

• L8n - This is one of those questions generally found in the book "string" chapter "appropriate length of" i.e. it really depends.

Essentially it depends on what you want to achieve and how much time you can/want to devote to running.

As a general rule the following should apply.

1. Before getting into any specific training you would be advised to build up a base of running consistently i.e. probably 6-12 months where your main objective is to get out the door 3-4 times a week for upwards of 20-30 minutes. As you build this base you will improve in any event.

2. Once you've built the base most running advice would suggest that you should have three core sessions per week:
    - A long run
    - A speed (interval) session
    - One other specific session e.g. hills, fartlek etc.
    Depending on your motivation, anything you initially add around this should steady / recovery mileage.

On the subject of Watford, I would say that you are probably doing enough with three runs a week to give you a reasonable performance although I would probably push your long run up to between 6-8 miles.

Running fast is fine, but will take more out of you than steady training, so I would recommend you train for the moment at a speed that lets you complete three sessions a week i.e. don't drop sessions because you're too tired from running fast!

Best of luck and let us know if you want more advice.
  • Hi

There is good advice for beginners on
    http://www.time-to-run.com/

The following two tips :
    1. Build mileage before speed
    2. Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% per week.
  • L8n,

For when your recovering try reading here
    http://www.ingrid-kristiansen.com/

You might be too young to know much about Ingred Kristiansen but she has been of inspiration to me. A very good runner & this website is easy to read.

I've been helping you on your other threads but have forgotten.
    How long have you been running?
  • i'd estimate about 6 weeks. Thanx for all advice so far. Big tim, u have been really quite helpful on this and other threads. Thanx again
  • L8n
    I love running & helping others is no problem!
    :)
    6 weeks is not long. Carry on what your doing, slowly up your long run like MartinH suggest's. Then come the summer we can get you doing speedwork.
    You goal is to run 10K on may 5th. This will be your PB so be proud of it!
  • Hi L8n,
    My advice would be to not overcomplicate your training at this stage. A lot of people talk about interval training, fartlek, hillwork etc. but basically if you keep on running the same distance as fast as you can week after week then you will certainly improve.

I like your current schedule of not running 2 days in a row, and mixing it with swimming which is not weight bearing. This means that when you do run, you will be able to run faster because you are not recovering from a previous run.

There is nothing more motivating than seeing your time for a set distance improve week by week, so I would applaud your desire to run fast. Just one thing to be aware of - improvements don't always happen smoothly. For a couple of weeks you might not be getting any quicker, then suddenly you will jump to a new level. That's a great feeling.

Have fun and good luck with the 10k.
    Ian