Options

Fat Club - Tuesday 27th

2»

Comments

• Options
    Me too - I raced yesterday(10k) so enjoying a day off, got my speed session tomorrow!
  • Options
    You stand on them bear (spelling??) footed an a small current is passed through the body, the scales measure the impedance and this together with other information that you have pre set up allows it to report your body fat content – the good ones (around £90) are accurate up to 1%

Or as they say

The key to the Tanita Body Fat Monitor is BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis.)

“The BIA method measures body composition by sending a very low, safe electrical signal through the body. The signal passes freely through the fluids contained in lean tissue, such as muscle and bone, but encounters difficulty passing through fat tissue. This difficulty, or resistance, is termed 'bioelectrical impedance', and is accurately measured by the Body Fat Monitor. When set against gender, height and weight, the Body Fat Monitor is able to calculate your body fat percentage.”

Will
  • Options
    I've got A Tri on sunday so am doing 5 or 6 miles as part of Taper week

Will
  • Options
    Wow, that's impressive, i must have one!
  • Options
    Lamb- of course you did 10Km in 51 minutes. That is brilliant, something for me to really set my sights on. I haven't done a race before, but if I like the half marathon I may try and do them more regularly.
  • Options
    And Will - a triathlon - isn't that bordering on madness? No really, I am very impressed :-)
  • Options
    I never said I wasn't mad ;o)
  • Options
    For my education, what distances constitutes a triathlon? Or does it vary?
  • Options
    It varies from sprint triathlons to ironman triathlons for the superhumanly fit!
  • Options
    Hi Lamb (and everyone else) again
    The tag? Well it is an actual saying (so I'm lead to believe) - if you are from Norfolk you are called a Norfolk Dumpling, and if you are from Suffolk you are a Silly Suffolk (amongst the locals as it were). As I'm moving to Suffolk does that make me a Silly Dumpling? It's a bit more interesting than HD1 anyway!

Thanks for the kind words Lamb but you obviously haven't had the misfortune to see my wobbly bits wobble when running - my bum hurts for the first few miles until it gets used to the bouncing around!

I'm liking the sound of these body fat scales. Not sure I can afford them at the moment but will try to convince other half that they will go spectacularly well in our new bathroom!

Dumpling :)
  • Options
    Very glad to hear that somebody elses bits wobble when running! I hate running with the sun behind me because I can see my thighs wobbling in my shadow in front of me!
    Kind of spoils the sleeth athletic vision I have of myself :-)
  • Options
    So what am I then? or is it just Essex Girl?!

i think some body fat scales would love ab fab in your bathroom (even though I haven't seen it!). I shall def invest in some when I have some cash, so i can obsess over tiny changes even more than I do now!
  • Options
    Nightsky

As stated they vary from sprint up to and beyond Ironman – an Ironman event is 3.8k open water swim, 180k bike ride and then finishes with a marathon

The one I’m doing this week is much more modest at 500m-28k-7.7k :o)

P.S. Triathlon is the only sport where a sprint can take 2hrs

Will
  • Options
    Will - makes me tired just thinking about it! I look forward to hearing how you get on. Gotta get on with some work now, but I'll catch you again on this thread soon.
  • Options
    Lamb, your local gym might do body fat measuring, if they don't have scales to it, they use calipers and take measurements from various parts i.e top of arms, thighs, waist, back, I just wish mine measured 19% like WildWill.
  • Options
    Redhead, I did a 10km about 2 months ago and did 60 mins and 33 seconds. I think it's helped that my main running partner is faster than me so I'm forced out of my comfort zone more often than I would do if I was by myself and also it's the first time I've done regular speed sessions with others rather than on a treadmill which is what I used to do.

There was a whole discussion on the fat monitor thing sometime last week or was it the week before? Anyway, V-Rap had some good stuff to say on the subject.