Sat 22 July

Morning All,

Been up for a hour on a support call, so thought I'd start the thread for only the second time

Thunder storm just started so should be cooler at 8AM for...

what: 8m general aerobic
why: it's what I do
last hard: thursday
last rest: 88 days

Have a good one.

Comments

• Morning, great song AF, I wore that LP out.

Scobos (and Blisters) well done in your respective 5K's)

Today is -

What: 6 and a bit miles very easy
    Why: Its been a tough running week and there is a tough LSR tomorrow.

Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: 34 days

I'm waiting for the weather to go crash bang :0)

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all from the lyrical blackspot.

What: rest or easy 5-6miles
    Why: tired and planning an LSR before work tomorrow
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Monday

I'm off Karting today, have a great weekend and good luck racers
  • Morning All

What: 24 miles D & D 3-27

Why: Marathon acoming

Last Hard Today

Last Rest Sunday

Started runing 0530, 16 miles outdoors then finished off with 8 on the tready once the temp got above 40C.

Good Luck to all the racers over the weekend particuarly our Iron maidens.

• morning all,

hope the lyric doesn't hold true (the first part of it anyhow),as i put on over half a stone in my out time.

what : 2 miles easy
    why : gentle re-introduction
    last hard : months
    last rest : thurs

back improving. still a bit tender but none of the old man feeling when getting out of a chair.

Good luck to all racers, esp. those at IM
  • Morning all,
    Dubai Dave - major dedication - well done!

Blisters - at least it was 1 sec faster not 1 sec slower - good time!

Pops - bad about the car but great that you weren't in it.

Scobos - great mile and 5k - things are looking good.

Clink - belated happy anniversary.

SVT - racing does take it out of you - hope that schedule has some nice easy running now:-)

Lizzy - major stuff - great racing - you're one brave girl.

Holly - fab report - well done to both of you.

Gobi - no rigid schedule these days. I just identify the race I want to run - work backwards filling in the long runs necessary to achieve a finish and then slot in whatever the body lets me.

As far as what sort of training produces results - I think it varies same as we do. What works first for us e.g. lots of miles doesn't always keep on working for us. Sometimes you have to switch and work on the speed but then know when the time is to switch back again to the old tried and true.
    But that's the test and fun of it all - trying to get it right.

What: 13 miles
    Why: long run with group - decided to work a little harder on the way home - out for ages - chest still tight. Enjoyed my breakfast!

Good luck Ironwomen!!
  • This is for Sporta - "Go the All Blacks".
  • Morning

Good luck for the Ironwomen this weekend.

What: 3 miles

Why: Woke up late its all I could do/party straight from work tonight.

LastHard: All

Last Rest: Last Sat

Back tomorrow
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Morning...

Thinking about the ironwomen this weekend...

DD - that is some run!

NZC - you seem to be a lot better. Good.

What: schedule says 5M brisk hilly cross-country run....no such route without getting in the car and driving, and haven't time today......so 7M usual route, brisk-ish hopefully. I say hopefully because I seem to be quite drained this week, and incredibly thirsty all the time. Must be dehydrated and can't seem to keep up with it. Never remember to drink at work which doesn't help.
    Last rest: swimming 5 days ago.
    Last hard: Tuesday

Enjoy your days everyone...
  • Morning

What: Sat here praying for rain and clouds as I have an off road half marathon this pm and it has been insufferably hot recently.

Simon
  • Morning, never usually post on a weekend but staying with family.....

what: 3-5 miles slow with wife, nephew and sister's fella (I'll take them for a 3 miler, then add a bit on for me at the end)

why: too nice to not run along the beach

last hard: thursday

last rest: yesterday

have fun...........
  • Good luck SiT! - Everything crossed for Arctic weather for you this afternoon (which, having checked the Icelandic weather forecast - old habits die hard - is a cool 9 degrees).

Popsider - that's a b*mmer. Still, could have been worse, could haver been your new bike ;-)

What: easy 10-15 on the bike. And TDF on t'telly this afternoon, oooh, it's going to be a close one!
    Why: Racing tomorrow
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Tuesday

Have a great day all
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

In work unfortunately, as it's the second day of our annual conference. But I'm taking Monday off to make up for it, so it's not all bad ;-) A couple of technical hitches this morning as one of the presenters called in sick so I had to reshuffle the whole day, and couldn't get the projectors to work in the lecture theatre - fortunately some of the IT guys were in and sorted it pretty quickly.

Tom, that was a lovely (and rather uncharacteristically sentimental!) post from you last night. Totally agree with your comments to Hippo and M. They are both amazing. The only person who doesn't think Hippo is amazing is Hippo herself. But I guess that's part of what makes her who she is.

Popsider, sorry to hear about your car - glad you weren't in it though!

Lovely rain this morning as I headed into work - but now the sun is back out. Hasn't really cooled down much. When Mr. Minks picked me up from the station at 10:00 p.m. last night, the car temperature gauge read 27 degrees. The last time it was that hot that late at night I was in Bangkok in a lovely air-conditioned hotel!

What: Probably nothing, although I may be tempted if it rains some more later.
    Why: A bit tired from the last couple of days, running the conference. Also up very early yesterday and today.
    Last hard: Too long ago to remember.
    Last rest: All week! (From running, anyway).

On the plus side, food seems to be staying down a lot better, and although I'm still not eating vegetables or much fruit, I'm feeling a lot better for not vomiting constantly.

Have a great weekend, and go Irongirls!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    NZC
    pleased to hear that you are feeling better enough to run 13 miles, that is some virus that you have had.

hilly
    dropped in here to see if you know of this website:-

http://www.athleticsdata.com/

you can look up your rankings on it.

Of course, aybody can look up how your are doing.
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Popsider - Sorry about the car

DD - Good long run

NZC - It was a good match wasn't it? The All Blacks are awesome :o)

Gobi - Ice hockey,I am impressed. As far as training is concerned,I have the same approach,don't like being told what to do.

I am going to get hold of the P&D book.

What: 13 miles
    Why: Longest run since Comrades
    Last hard: Today

Today was hard work.

Good luck to anyone racing.
  • Tom - thanks for your thoughts. Cautiously optimistic is my current state. Still need to get to the bottom of the problem though.

Ceal - we've seen that site and spent happy times on it:-)

Popsider - good to hear you have Sainsburys where you are - none in Barnsley:-) Hope the car gets sorted.

Run well SiT.

What: a nice walk over the Humber Bridge and buying a watch
    Why: because it's there and retail therapy:-)
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Quote of the day - and destined to appear in the annual review, "I'm feeling a lot better for not vomiting constantly".

Br, stick with it mate, its not the same here when you're not firing on all cylinders. Here's to cautious omptimism!

Minks, I a real softy really, but its the sensitivity of Stickless's postings that always bring out my gentler side.

Cooler, breezy and thundery here this morning, so...

What: 8.4m at 7:12 pace/76%MHR
    Why: Holding it together
    Last hard: seemingly most of last week
    Last rest: one more day than AF

Three months ago I was running 7:25-7:30 for 75%MHR. Good signs hopefully. This week is my ninth successive week at 80+, and the injury symptoms although lurking are more of a niggle, but sufficiently present to remind me not to overdo it.
  • Morning!

Are the rugby world cup wannabees in action again?

Hot and humid here!

Tomorrow's webcam shows no sign of the pirates yet :-)

For those of you who haven't been following the gossip over on the tri threads, it seems tomorrow's swim is hot and so is going to be wetsuitless - not sure this is ideal for most of the pirates' race times, but the really good news is that it should make their race photos much better :-)

What: BPTT d&d - 22:20ish? might also do something else later this evening.
    Why: a negative split training run rather than a race after Thursday - mile splits were 7:20, 7:05 and 6:49 so objective achieved, albeit in a sea of unsightly sweat!
    Lyrics: Not achieved.

Go pirates!
  • Morning all,
    Over PANTMANS for tea last night, good evening had, the usual anti-micksta training comments, but all good fun! ;)

RHR is nice and low again, back to Jan 2006 levels when I was having some good results, so looking forward to Monday when running begins again, sticking to singles the first week, seeing if HR stays low, if so, add a couple of doubles the following week, if not stay on singles until things stabilize, might as well do things by the book!

Looks like the weather is cooling down next week as well, so maybe my break was an inspired judgement call on my part.

Intresting reading about HADDS training on the thread and training intensities. Ive been training with PANTMAN now for some weeks and he does not run many sessions to a high HR, in fact rarely does he go over 70% in training. This gives him and all HADD trained runners fantastic ability to knock out the mileage, but then come race day when you push the body, PANTMAN usually ends up breaking down injured, as does other people I know who push themselves to hard off a lack of speedwork, in my view as well as gym conditioning the speedwork increases your strength and ability to absorb harder running, there by reducing the risk of injury and also increasing your pace, I guess this will start world war three on the thread now, but its just MICKSTAs View on things! :)

• Just to cheer a few folk up (I know this cheered Shiraz up)...

This morning's post included...

A "Back To School" leaflet :-)
  • "Back of school" is good for mothers, Holly! I can't plan anything serious until September...

Tonight
    Is my husband's 40th b'day party - a 50 people, many drinks, high heels, dances type of thing.

Tomorrow
    Is Dartford half, probably 30 degrees and a big Kentian hill.

Now
    I am concerned about my poor planning.
  • Tom lovely post!

M., wonderful achievement and try not to think about the 'coach': his comments say more about himself than about you!

DF-AF-nrg-Micksta etc. I have enjoyed the debate on base training.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Popsider, bad news about the car & hope you get it sorted soon.

DD, it's bad enough running in 30 degrees but 40!!!!!

Today's session:

What: 5 x 2k off 60 second recoveries (not an enjoyable session in this heat & humidity)
    Why: part of schedule.

Off to Spain tonight so won't be around for a while.
  • Forgot to congratulate Holly and SVT in their races, and I am still due to say 'Bravissimo' to Pizzaman for his victory!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Morning,

AF: Back-office batch run woes or supporting the western US states?

Excellent run Dubai Dave.

Micksta: Often it is the people with some significant opposing views who make the best of friends.

I'm fortunate to have met Hilly and BR a few times. Last night I had a dream about the two of them. They were both in a HM race around this fantastic mountainous jungle with part of it over an african savannah. I was their bag-man. But I could not keep up as they were too fast. Finally caught up with them at the finish only to find they had both won. An excellent dream.

What: Died doing 9miles.
    Why: Too humid for me.
    LastHard: Today
    LastRest: Monday

Going to a wedding in E. Midland tonight for a wedding being held tomorrow. So no running for me till Monday.
  • STELLINA:
    Enjoy the Dartford Half, lots of nice hills for you on that course, I ran there back in 2003 and finished 5th male, 6th overall, very tough event, just take it steady at the start and keep some in the tank for the hill at just past mile 9!
  • Micksta, thank you! Well no way I'll be 6th, unless only 6 people show up. Fellow forumite Andy is going to pace me for a sub 2 finish, that is if I do not drink to excess on Saturday night! (I am allowing myself 2 glasses but you all know how it goes sometimes...).

Nrg, it's so sweet that you are such a good friend even in your dreams!
  • BTW new ranking site out "Power of 10", has a regional filter as well. UKA latest thing to raise standards.

Power of 10
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    "Back to school"!!

Does that mean I can expect the first of charity Christmas Card packs to start falling through the door next week?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Nrg-b Sounds like a great weekend planned.

DD - impressive run i am in awe

Tom - i can guarantee by september you'll start seeing signs of christmas around you maybe even soon

Hollywood - that did make me smile, they always do this as they just break up from school.

What: 15:33 miles in 2hrs 38
    Why: The mind boggles - oh its this silly idea of mine to run a marathon.
    Last Hard - Are you kidding it was this morning

Though as i woke this morning i didn't want to get out and run this planned 15 miler of mine
    but literally had to force myself out
    and Do It

on a positive note
    i ran 3 miles further than last week
    it was only 2 seconds a mile slower than last week
    it was the furthest i have ever run in my life - albeit by 0.33 of a mile

Cold bath done
  • Yey pammie - well done on your longest run to date! :0)

I'm all over the place today so no long post. Sons house is just awful. He's happy as its cheap, I'm horrified, upset and worried. Not that he knows this of course. Wish he would stay at home but I guess he has to do what he has to.

Hubby says not to worry as at least electrics not hanging off the wall and no rubbish everywhere. Thats about the only saving grace, its dank and desolute and I'm upset. Imagine young one's, or train spotting. I doubt the cooker works as looks like its been resurrected from a tip. Can't bear to think of it at the mo.

Money grabbing landlords is what this house is about.

So

Making myself go out and cycle

Dont feel like it, don't want to but what else to do as otherwise I'll worry myself stupid.

At least he's close to home now.