Ironman - Germany - Pirate Race Reports - 23rd July 2006

Comments

• IW - what about getting straight back in there to use the training you've already put in this year - http://www.upc-hollandtriathlon.nl/en/triathlon_2006.php?
  • thanks for the advice Nic - but that's where we've been at for years! He just gets mad because he says I don't do what he says. Actually we have a tri club swim coach who's started training the age groupers now so maybe that'll help. When I can summon up enough to go back.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    A big hug from another slow swimmer, ((((IW)))).

I hope you're able to get stuck in with the tri club swimming and bounce back stronger than ever.
  • It's got to be a long process to "unlearn" bad technique that you've been using for years. An impartial coach must be better than your other half. See if you can get yourself filmed - always an eye opener!

Keep at it though, this is only one minor set back.
  • IW - give it a few days and see how you feel. Tri swim club coach sounds good - they'll be much more impartial. I was really down after pulling out of IMDE a few weeks ago due to nerves and poor biking, but I'm definitely going to do IMUK next August - even though that's 12 months away my partner has told me that I'll struggle to make the bike cut-off. Sometimes partners can be very unhelpful and you just have to get on with things regardless.

Put your feet up for a few days and have a well earned rest.

(((IW)))
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    ((IW))The last thing you need at the moment is an unsupportive partner. Come and have a grumble here any time you need!
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I hope you kicked him up the @rse for that comment, Norma?

I avoid giving Mrs W training advice, unless I'm asked, as she has different goals to me. It sounds like LJS has different goals to you, IW, so don't give up on IM just because he has.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    ((((IW)))) - you need to get back on that horse, and soon.

You know you can do it - it was just circumstances.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Horse???? That might be the problem ;-)
  • 'im indoors is grumbling about expensive entry fees, hotel costs, kennel fees for the dogs, minimal time for anything except training...all a waste he says.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    For one race! Pffft!!! AND it wasn't your fault that there was a wetsuit ban. If there hadn't been, you'd've walked it.

(realises Mr W will pick up on that too :oP)

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Could someone explain to me why they banned wetsuits? I don't understand!
  • It was too hot Wilkie (dehydration etc) - or at least when they measured the temperature, but that was two days before and they had storms in the interim which must have cooled the water.

Even without that though, the first lap cut off does seem to be rather earlier than might be expected.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    That does not compute - you're in the water, which might be warmer than normal, but is still cooler than the air, so you're not going to be sweating a lot, and you take the wetsuit of for the cycle, no?

• You do - yes.

Apparently you can dehydrate though - guess the heat can't escape well enough to cool you down but I don't really know
  • (((ironwolf))) - I can feel your pain through your posts.....

But you are a star to have got so far especially if support at home is less than forthcoming IMHO

Having followed Meldy's training virtually I know that it has been a long journey for all of you....and you will complete it somewhere else - you are iron
  • your body core temperature can climb dangerously high inside a wetsuit if the water temp is above 23c. When measured on the Friday, it was way above so the decision was - no wetsuits. 24c or higher - no wetsuit. 18c or below, wetsuit is mandatory to prevent overcooling. In between, your choice.

It was the first IM in Europe where this has happened. Shades of things to come maybe, with global warming continuing?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Well, Bear, it's not a problem I'm ever likely to have to deal with.

I'm more Aluminium Wilkie that Iron Wilkie ;-)
  • The water temp on race day,according to the announcer at 6.30am, was 27 degrees.The highest it can be for a wetsuit swim is 23.9 degrees.

Jellybabe and I stood in the water up to our knees at the swim exit for a good 90 minutes or more (got in while even the lead swimmers were on first lap) and it was warm. Can't obviously comment on how it was deeper in the lake (swimming sans wetsuit on Friday before the storms there were really warm patches but also cooler spots).

I think the main factor is more the loss of buoyancy than the temp (but in KK's case it was both)as that meant you had less assistance in the water.

It was gutwrenching for everyone on Sunday when we realised there were 8 pirates who wouldn't be coming around for the second lap. Nothing can change what happened on but hopefully everyone can take some positives out of it and look to their next race (whatever distance it may be).

Alison
  • Ally, I felt cold on my 2nd lap. I touched my arms when I got out and they were definitely cold. But you are right about the bouyancy issue, that was the main problem for all of us weaker swimmers, your legs tend to be too low in the water, causing drag and loss of speed.

I agreed with Cougie, I too had trouble sighting round the course and must have drifted off the optimal line more than once.
  • TH, I've experienced years of bad technique, albeit in something entirely different and I rectified the problem within a few weeks of rigourous work.

IW, you CAN do it. I am confident you can.
  • thanks for that, minky.

Right now I don't think I can do anything. Give me a few days to regain my self-esteem.
  • LJS has gone out bike training and asked if I was going with him.

I didn't go.
  • All I can say is I know there are a few happy and a few sad people out there today but you're all huge heros in my eyes. Just to undertake the training is a massive achievement and more than 99.9% of the population could even think about.

Well done all just for turning up!

There will always be plenty more races...

• (((IW)))
    ((IW's self esteem))

as H says, just doing the training and getting to the start line makes you a hero to the rest of us
  • Hey guys,

Just got back into the office this morning. We'll have a race report and a gallery of pictures on the website tomorrow morning.

Well done everyone, and thanks for all the supporters who cheered for us.

Daniel RW
  • Hi

Not really sure where to post this but any way will post on this thread and hope people concerned read it. I have been reading/following the IM Germany thread since it started as by chance i decided to enter the race after failing at Zurich last year.

It has been interesting reading what people have been going through and seeing how it compared to my training.

Anyway on Sunday in Frankfurt i had finished the bike and was onto the run, after a good first lap i was really struggling on the 2nd lap. I unable to run and was thinking of pulling out as the thought of walking 30km to the finish did not seem very attractive. Walking past the pirate support group at about 6km i got great support and encouragement to keep going. One of the guys looked at me and said "looking good Andy" I looked back in disbelief and thought well prehaps i should try to run again. I started slowly but managed to keep the pace until the next aid station and then ran the rest of the lap at a better pace and managed to keep it going through the rest of the race.

So thanks guys for the support not just in that group but from all the pirates supporters who were cheering all competitors regardless of nationality.

It made the event really special.
  • Andy

well done on finishing, it was a tough old race especially with the downpour on the bike. i wouldn't have enjoyed riding in that

actually i thought you were going to tw*t me one when you looked back!! glad to know that it helped - you deserve all the support and praise you can get.

now you need to wear the famous yellow and black kit, and sign up for austria next year...