Ironman - Germany - Pirate Race Reports - 23rd July 2006

Comments

• nice one as well Crashie!

• dammit, you've made me cry again!
  • "Seriously, if anyone is reading this and wondering if they dare enter an Ironman, do it"

backs out of the door quietly
  • Ironwolf, glad to here you're OK. Gutted that you didn't make the bike cut-off. Was that you I saw towards the end of the lap coming back into Frankfurt?? I was on a black bike in red kit with Planet-X sprawled all over it.
  • I have jsut spent a good hour reading this thread and wow ahh woow the emotions when reading. WELL DONE TO ONE AND ALL. Drips sound good at the finish. Was that vodka in it.
  • yes

I've been reading on and off all evening!

Wow!

Fantasic

I've been crying and I don't even know any of you!
  • Well that was the week that was....

Pre Race...

As everybody was aware a little accident doing one last training tri nearly put pay to the whole trip before it had started so I was very relieved when the doctor and my physio, said go for it, enjoy, but listen to your body and stop if you have to.... (yeah right do they think i am in a knitting club)....

Yet more stress on the morning of departure as a switch stopped all the trains from Lausanne to Geneva... however CFF (Swiss Rail) managed to get me bike and all the assortated gubbins into a taxi and heading to the airport still for an on time checkin.

I was surprised how small Frankfurt as a city really is. But I soon met other fools from the priate ship, and my good resolve of no drinks before the race went very quickly out the window.

A great outing on the bike was organised by the race organisers, and we had a chance to ride in a peleton, tour de France style round the route with the police blocking intersections for us to ride throug all he red lights :-)

Last misshap happened on Thursday night as a wasp too exception to me walking through its air space and stung me on the arm!!!
    F&%K S*@t etc....
  • Tis really great to see all the "Iron" tags before everyone's names.

:o))
  • Saturday...

Racking...

Uneventful all happened too easily....

Saturday night I slept well, went to bed at 21:00 and explained in my best german, to our Jehovah's Witnesses room mates that we would be getting up at 3:30 the next day... and that we would be trying to make as little noise a possible... to which they appologised for all the late nights they had imposed on us, and said that it did not matter and good luck.

So up and off the the race,

It was cool and damp, and even a hint of mist over the Langener Waldsee, but we did not mind we were pirates...

Had time to phaf and go to the toilets and phaf some more, and phaf even more... and then like lambs to the slaughter, we walked down the carpeted slope to be counted into the water.
  • Swim....

I found the start of the swim difficult, I had only been in the water 10 mins felt i was going nowhere and wanted to turn round and go home.

Then I remember something I read on the forums that all good ironman stories start with a kick in the face, and 15 mins later as I was just starting to get into my stroke, and noticed that I was not actually last, Bang I get foot full belt on the nose....

First Reaction - my nose clip.
    Second Reaction - my nose - is it broken
    Third Reaction - my nose is there any blood.

Quick put the nose clip back in place and got on with the job in hand. Coming into the quick sprint across the sand and I was dying for a pee... how difficult can it be to take a leak... enough of that and with 47 mins on the clock my spirits were lifted... seeing the supports madely cheering was great and off for an uneventful 2nd lap...
  • T1

Flustered by the guy who was meant to be helping me and so I did not take my salt tabs, gels or power bar...

Bike

It was a little damp leaving T1 and as I hoped on the bike and set of I thought the road surface was a little rough, I put this down to my tyres being a little fuller than normal, following Cougie's advice, it was not till some 500 or so metres later, as i nearly lost the front wheel on the first corner that I realised that I had a flat....

Quick change while other Priates went screaming past, A helpful spectator came up and offered help, but i said I was ok (I did not want to be put off by some outsider again as had just happened in T1)

Wheel back on and off into the mother of all rain storms... It was monsoon season in Frankfurt... Just as i came to "The Beast" a policeman signaled a car to do a U-Turn in front of me.... And as it was a big Merc the road was not wide enough doing 35km/hr in the rain... I started shouting at the top of my voice "Achtung Sh**$$e...." etc the only way round the car, which was now sitting the whole way across the cycle course was round its back end, and then what the Reversing lights came on...

The Hell lived up to its name with the cobbles, then out into the sunshine and the countryside, as it quickly dried up.

Heartbreak hill was billed as a Alp d'huez style climb and the crowd did not disappoint as the only thing to do was the sit up keep pedaling and enjoy the roar.

The only upset on the last lap was a lady who took no heed of the police directing the pedestrians at the crossing just outside the atheletes' Garden. She just walk into my path... Yet more shouting... and she looked at me as if to say what was a cyclist doing on an Ironman course, and how stupid of me to be on her crossing (she was probably right)
  • T2

I though a quick loo stop was in order, and then off the the tent were a lovely lady help lather me in sun cream, and actually helped me in transition... it was unhurried, and I left as I had planned.

Run...

Started the run with almost 9hrs on the clock so 7 to complete the marathon... Having been on crutches some 3 weeks earlier I was very aware that this was going to be a close one, and that I would have to nurse my way through the marathon, I my dream was to become reality... I built up a bit more of a cushion by knocking of the first 10.5kms in 70 mins so with some 5:50 left and 31.5 kms left I started walking, with my head up, thinking of how I was going to pass down the finish chute...

The priate support was great... there was no way I was giving up now, and to hell with what my doctor had said, there was no listen to the body, that medal way getting closer with every step. Every time we passed the youth hostel the crowd of pirates got larger and larger, until with less than 5 km to go most had moved over the finish... Cedric, my sherpa, said they were moving and how much longer would I be... 1hour or there abouts was the reply.
    So up into the park one more time in the now twilight, and there in the distance just behind was Debbo and Brian. 2km to go, and I was still convinced that I would walk to the finish, and I did not want anyone in that finish chute with me.

1km and i started to see the medal round me neck.

200m turned onto the red carpet and the crowd grew "Laufen, Run HOP HOP "

And from somewhere, as if taken over by another spirit the hands came up to to hi-5 as many of the spectators as I could as I ran up the hill to the finish. I could hear nothing the the cheers. The spectators were there to cheer everyone home and no matter what the pain, lack of energy or cost, I was not now going to walk up I wanted to run.

With tears in my eyes I saw Cedric standing with his hand out to hi-5 me, as I went past, I actually thought of stopping for a kiss, to say thanks for all the support over the past year, as I had prepared for this one moment.

It was only once I had crossed the line that I realised what music had been playing for me as I had become an Ironman.

Village People - YMCA - and no Brian the Snail I did not request it, nor did I pay for it. But I did laugh as they put my medal round my neck.
  • PS

I would just like to say that I could never had done the thing, without the support of all the supporters, sherpas, lurkers and fellow pirates, I thought about stopping the whole thing 10mins into the swim, and if I had been in Zurich as I had orginally planned I would have been alone and could have crawled out the water with my tail between my legs and no one would have known, but I could not get away with giving up in Frankfurt...

You were all there, online, and physically there, and I had to get through that rough patch...

I really do mean this with all my heart. I am only an Ironman because you were all there, and Thank you for your support.
  • quit now, you're making me cry

:o)

how's the foot..?
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Back in the UK now, great to be home. Still chasing the proper times for my race but I'm pretty sure it was around 12.36ish. Happy with bike and swim, rubbish run as usual, fairy nuff.

As always it was great to meet up with all the pirates again, there is a real feeling of comaraderie and friendship when we meet up that makes these things special. A special thanks to Garr for his help on the run and another huge thanks to the pirate supporters.

I did say I was definately not doing another one next year, just something else i haven't stuck too so see you all in either Florida or Austria.

Has Ergo stopped crying yet?
  • Ava - Dan Benson has got the original spreadsheet for the RW web story when you get your splits back.
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    I've sat reading these race reports and silently grinned and cried through them all. Fab. Absolutely fab. You guys are a complete inspiration! I spent Sunday GLUED to the crap live video link, SHRIEKING every time I saw a Pirate wishing I was there. You are all truly heros for even getting to the starting line.

Thank you.

X
  • Man, what a weekend. It reconfirmed what a great crowd the pirate's are. Claire and I had a brilliant time and it is finally sinking in that I've achieved what I've been aiming for these last 11 months. I really can't believe it ... and it's all thanks to the wonderful support and help over the last year from the forum.

Completely shagged now so I look forward to reading all of this during working hours and eventually posting a report when I can dredge up some memories of the day.

Well done everyone.
  • My report: I went, had a good weekend, did a race, drank some beer and failed to eat a kebab.
  • any chance of editing that version gumps?
  • Norma- the only reason you didnt become an ironman on sunday is because of your lack of confidence, nothing to do with you cycling skills. May i suggest that you either learn to ignore the b/f when he talks shite or swap him for someone less thick.(No offence intended and i am quite p1ssed)

IW- Really surprised to see you say that you're not feeling like racing again! Get a grip, you're meant to be doing Florida next year aren't you?

It was a fantastic week and i feel genuinely priviledged to have spent the last few days with such a great bunch of people.
  • ill second that, a statement like that means he knows fck all..

mid bike cut offs aside you can average 14mph for 8 hours probably faster, youll never know if you dont try. My DNF and the others will be long forgotten but the memories of a finish will last a lifetime.

I KNOW YOUU CAN DO IT! Also despite my sometimes wayward personna i know what im talking about (pitty i dont always follow my own advice)
  • Amen to that Carly....

great reports all and well done to the Iron Men and Ladies (very PC!!!)....and comiserations to those who DNF'd.... it seems harsh as has already been said but don't let it put you off....go for it next year (like zilla did) and you will be fine....

GO PIRATES!!!!

(P.S. Well done to the supporters - it sounds like you did a grand job!)
  • I'd just like to thank all of the supporters out there and back home - they did a grand job under difficult conditions - the heat, the thunderstorm, the rain and the Right Said Fred music.

Bravo - you're all fantastic ! Mwah !
  • Ok then some quick thoughts on my race...

The non wetsuits situation put pay to my attempt at a 55 min swim, but i don't think i would have hit that anyway. Just about made it front and centre before the gun went, and went piling off as per usual. First 800 metres or so was a bit of a fight, but i don't think i got touched after the first turn-very strange. From what i could gather, i was at the front of the second wave, so nobody to draft off-darn...Anyway, 65 mins later and out i came.

Had a bit of a struggle with my pirate one piece, but 5 mins of fiddling with various things and i was out on the bike. I decided that i was going to try and split the first 90kms in about 2:50 and then pick the speed up. Got back round to complete the first lap with 2:53 on the watch, and feeling very strong. So, i cruised along and then at 150kms opened it up a bit. It was awesome to feel so strong, and i was passing loads of people who had come past earlier but were now struggling. I almost had to pinch myself when i saw my bike split at 5h40. I have never felt that strong before, and i was really looking forward to the marathon.

A quick 2 min change and out i went. I wanted to do a 4h30 marathon so needed about 70 mins per lap give or take. I did the first 10.5k in 58 mins and i paid for that. The second lap came in in around 70 mins, so 2:10 to the half marathon point. Then it hit me. My right leg cramped, and i really slowed, walking large parts of lap three. Leo and Gumps came past me with a couple of other pirates in tow just before the wrist band station in the woods, and yelled to keep up, but i was in trouble. I started on the redbull and coke, which along with my haribo really lifted me. I started the fourth lap with 1h30 to break the 12 hour mark, and must have done an 80 mins last 10.5k as i came in in 11h51.

I was in tears the whole way up the finishing straight, and for about 2kms before that. I don't know if it was the pain, or the realisation that i had not only beaten my PB, but anihalated it by nearly 2 hours. The emotion just took over anyway, and there was no happier Ironman or Woman anywhere on that course :-)

During the course of the last lap, i thought back to all the endless hours of running that i had put in to make myself strong for this moment. All the early mornings, the cold weather, the wind. It all suddenly made sense! I will confess that had i not gone quicker this year, i would probably have quit ironman, but achieving what i did, i can't wait for Canada at the end of this month, and then the challenge next year to get 'really' fit. I want to go sub 11 at Austria, and i now have the motivation to do so.

Awesome race, awesome support from the PSOF sherpas-you guys really lifted me at times when i was down. I'm welling up now just thinking back on one of the most incredible days of my life. See you all soon!
  • here is my brief race report.

Arrived in transition and faffed around sorting out my bike, i felt fine and was just keen to get started. With about 15 mins to go i decided i needed the loo again and then when i came out i stood with dermot waiting to get down to the lake. I was pleased to see dermot at the start cos i knew how nervous of doing a non wettie swim he was.

We stood queuing for quite a while and then I realised we only had 2 mins to the start! When they called out 20 seconds to go I was still walking down the chute and the race started before I’d even got my ankles wet. Nevermind lets get on with the swim, I’d covered, oooh, at least 2 meters before someone swum straight into me, going in the opposite direction, and then another and another, I looked up to see total panic. I’ve no idea what caused it but someone told me it was a false start and that we had to wait, so I trod water for a while and then realised that everyone had gone. So I started swimming again, but everyone around me were breaststrokers and they kept hitting me. I swam along laughing to myself about what a crap start to the day it was. Came out of the swim in about 1hour 30, 15 mins slower than expected. Got on the bike and off I went, people passed me continuously, I cycled to heart rate as I reckoned it was probably the only way I was likely to survive the day baring in mind my lack of training (only 2 training rides over 60 miles) Loads of pirates passed me and I tried to swear at all of them, loads of English non pirates passed and said “good luck pirate” as did the couple of serpies I saw, everyone was friendly.

Felt fine on the bike till about 60 miles then I lost control of my heart rate, so got off and relaxed for a while, then just set off at a very slow pace. It’s a lovely course though and I was delighted to finish in under 7 hours. Came out of t2 and asked where cougie was, as I couldn’t think of a reason why he had not overtaken me, then I learned the news of the pirate dq’s.

Set out on the run feeling good, did the first lap in 1hour 15 mins and began to think I was on course for a 5 hour mara. Sadly not! Started feeling sick, walked a lot, was sick, it didn’t help. So then I went round with cougie for a while (well done for doing the mara mate, I wouldn’t have been arsed!) then a spell with Dermot where I managed to pick up the pace a little. Then kanga where we mostly walked, it was great to stick with you through those 2 laps. With about a mile to go I suggested kanga leave me as I had a bit of a sore foot and was being a ponce.

The finish area came into view and the crowds and lights were just incredible, I started to jog, saw my family and supporters, and then I saw all the forum people, I think I high fived them all before crossing the line, where kanga had very kindly waited for me.

Finishing an ironman with an atmosphere like that is a truly incredible experience, and I must admit that knowing that my training and preparation have been so slack does detract a bit from the pleasure, but its still an amazing and emotional feeling.

It’s the supporters that make it though, and as I’m not going to commit to entering an ironman till I have done some training, I will be spectating at Austria. I suspect I’ll blub even more when watching.

• Slummo arrived at my gaff on Weds eve I was a bit low on account of my lovely sherpa havin gone back to Erin before flyin out Fri. Also had a coldy bug and it was ot in Laandan. So Thurs am up bright and early for drive across Europe me and slummo sharin drivin in Frankfurt for 6pm and Pauls excitement unbearable for a novice. Checked into hotel and went out for some scran lovely place at back of Cathedral. Back to hotel and boom boom music and 38 degs made sleep impossible 3 in the morn and P and I set out on pointless footslog of Frankfurt to find airconned accom!
    8am get bfast only gd thing about kolping hotel and head for Minerva has air con and seems nice! P goes to sleep I intend to pick up sherpa but blow it by falling asleep she forgives me and goes for nap as we get some non wettie practice in before escaping as Barley threatens to bear all on nudy pontoon!
  • Just want to thank all the pirates for their support. Though I didn't have a chance to wear the kit they were still so supportive to everyone. Met ergo on the bike and special thanks to Carl who came bounding after me on the last run lap! :)
    So so sorry for those who didn't make it - the cut off was really unreasonable. It WILL happen next time. And loads of congratulations to all those who did make it! :)
  • barlist bounding afteryou must have been fckn terrifying!
  • Race briefin over on Fri get stuck into beer in Romer with pres of WTC tell him how crap IMUK is and that he should move it to Nottingham or some such blah blah , feel slightly guilty about third and fourth pint as Rosie trots through the square on run (hed seen us in another bar earlier!). Sat and pootle about waiting to rack late on but just miss thunderstorms and q's by riding to t1 from car park looking like pros (p anyway) with our matching carbon kestrels (how gay).
    Off to Oneills for pre race two pints of guiness. Sun am up at 4 and into Intercon to pretend we are staying and nick excellent breakfast , loadsa pirates there we are chattering excitedly to hide nerves.