Nike+ Forum Challenge

Comments

• Count me in for any future challenge, although I've done abysmally at the moment <hangs head in shame>

I usually run around 10 miles a week so don't usually run as far as the majority but things have been really busy for us (juggling life with an 18 month old and 3 year old) plus trying to get out house to ready to sell (I have been tiling and grouting all evening for the last 2 nights)it may sound like feeble excuses however my running has had to take a back seat in the last 10 days.

my email address is my forum name followed by @ntlworld.com

Happy Holidays to those about to escape and speedy recoveries wished for those with injuries!

AWTF X
  • Hi AWTF

Sounds like you have your hands full: a 3 year old and an 18 month old - eek! I don't know how you find time for anything let alone pre-sale DIYing. Any running at all in the circumstances is a real achievement. My running is mainly at stupid o'clock before I go to work so it doesn't impact too much on family life and stops Mr Meldrew from becoming even more grumpy than usual!

Off on holidays tomorrow - off to iron and pack now!

Looking forward to challenge #2.

Mrs M.
  • Morning All.

does anyone know if the challenge is now over? as i have just had a look it looks like first and second places have finished??

does this mean that its over? do we have a closing date?? or can we all just keep running until we finish??

I went back to the shop last night and couldn't resist buying the new shoes they recommended! Nike Air Structure Triax 9....they feel well good, and i look forward to trying them tonight!
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    I think you have to finish yourself?

If you dont want to finish it you can always withdraw from the event and start the new one.

Im plodding on until i finish the first one

Nice one Billy with the new shoes. My last trainers where Nike and they where like slippers while running..
  • if this is the case, when we start the new challenge and some of us havent finished the first 50 mile challenge, we will be doubling up on our records that was all. must hurry and get the rest of the miles done before the start next month! Tee,hee.......

I have no problem plodding along. cant wait to go out tonight now. laid of last night and my knee feels better already.

I have found the shoes on here! this is really good to get feedback on them from other runners.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/review/reviewproduct.asp?RPN=1645&amp;prod=Nike-Air--Structure-Triax-9-(Men‘s)&amp;RCN=0&amp;rgn=1&amp;v=1&amp;sp=
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Well done to those who have completed. Currently sitting in 3rd position. If it wasn't for the fact im buying a house (and therefore out shopping every weekend! ARGH!) maybe i'd complete a bit quicker. Then again, if i'd wore the nike+ while trapesing around DFS, Harveys, and so on, i'd have done it in a weekend! lol! ;)
  • Congrats to those who have already finished, I will keep going until the end as well. Been fun even if I was laid up for two weeks with an injury! I think the little graphic representations of the runners should reflect this, how about a limping runner, runner carrying a baby and runner dragging a "For Sale" sign along behind him/her?
  • Billy

I use nike structure triax 9's and find them faultless.
    You asked a question earlier about vitamins.
    I too have a dodgy knee, after surgery last year. I use Glucosamine sulphate with Chondritin. Take a look at www.healthspan.co.uk
  • Anybody tried running with their Ipod sensor in the rain yet? Now the weathers deteoriorating the question of how weather proof the little transmittor is more pressing than ever. I have mine attached by velcro under my laces and after 20 miles it'still secure but open to the elements! Anybody got any solutions? Want to run with it this weekend but by the looks of things there's a good chance of rain!
    Also has anybody run with a HRM and the Ipod sports kit and if so is there any interference? Be interesting to see what you guys and gals think about the above!
  • Me again, just seen this
    "The Nike+ sensor pedometer is an advanced piezo-electric pedometer. It is completely sealed, waterproof and durable. However, the battery cannot be replaced, so once it goes dead in about 1000 miles, you will need to buy another Nike + iPod Sport Kit to replace it. The sensor is meant only to be used on dedicated workouts, not for total daily steps."
    Looks like it is fully waterproof however can anyone verify this!
    Going to have to be replaced after a 1000 miles anyway!
  • Zac,

I packaged mine up in a small plastic case (listerine pack, think its the same as an "Extra Thin Ice" pack http://www.wrigley.co.uk/Extra/Index.cfm ), wrapped up in masking tape and running with confidence all-weather.

Well, if its raining I tend to stay in and watch telly.... Hence I'm down in 7th place in the meat pie cup #1.

I gotta get back out there, can't have you catch me up!
  • I bought a Nike shoe wallet as I didn't want to be tied to Nike for the shoes. It's just a bit bigger than the transmitter and if you tape it to the plastic bit inside it will remain stationary (no sideways movement or spinning). The wallet is supposed to be waterproof but I have mine in a little bag anyway and to make sure that it won't move I have the rest of the thing padded out with tissue.

You can get the wallet from Sweatshop here:
    http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=1515

P.S. I'm not affiliated with the shop
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Hewy, completed my 50 miles this afternoon and its showing me in first place! YAY! ;)

Good luck to those still finishing, keep at it!
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    just back from hols so ive a bit of catching up to do!!!

Split my head open last night as well getting bags out of the car and got hit by the point of the boot lid.

It was bleeding like mad for an hour, dont think i need stitches.

wife says she cant take me anywhere

• hi, are you peeps going to set up another nike+ challenge? if so, could you let me know the details, as i'm up for some virtual challenges. got the gear, raring to go.
  • I have just returned from holiday. Any info of round 2 started yet ?
  • Morning Dale - still showing as starting on 1.9 on my homepage.

Hi Today. Glad you found us. Brizo has set up challenge 2 (first one to run 100 miles) which is due to start at the end of this week. Just in case he doesn't pop in for a day or two why don't you email him to make sure he sends you an invitation?

Good luck

Mrs M
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

Been on hols so sorry if i havent updated you on the next round.

Wont be doing it myself for a while as i have fractured one of the bones in my foot and have to rest it!!

Pass the word around and see if we can get more people involved

• Anyone up for training with me for the Nike 10K? I am on a 6 week programme (http://www.completefitnessguide.com) and need a partner - central london!
  • hey brizo, sorry to hear about your foot - hope you're not in too much pain, and up and running soon.

golly - first to 100km sounds far - hhm, but worth a go. i'm still in for the challenge. email add is my runnerwsworld nickname on here @gmail.com
  • it's not even first to 100km... it's first to 100 miles, eek!
    well, bring it on i guess. (gulp)
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    cheers Today. i hope im up again in a few weeks.

Im supposed to be running the Dublin Marathon so im swimming and on the bike as much as Humanly Possible to keep my fitness levels up as im scared of loosing all my hard work to date.

good luck to you all on this new one
  • Hi Laura B 112
    Sorry I can't help - wrong part of the country and currently trying to plod my way towards the New York Marathon. I hope someone comes along soon. If there is noone near you maybe you can train with someone virtually by setting a 10k challenge via the Nike+?

Hi Brizo
    You've been a bit accident prone lately. Really sorry to hear about your foot and I hope it heals in time for Dublin. Wish I had some useful words of wisdom to offer you.

Thanks for the link to the sensor case. For the time being my small B&Q plastic screw bag and elastic band ensemble are still doing the job but nowhere near as stylishly. Now that there is a 'proper' holder I'm going to look even more of a scruff!

All the best

Mrs M
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    Cheers MrsM

Ive just cacelled my order as a girl in work says she can make me one that looks the same.

All i have to do is buy her drink!! sorted!

hope she knows im married...
  • The second round draws nearer and I have been looking forward to starting on a "level playing field" so to speak.
    Bad luck with the foot Brizo! I haven't run for two weeks because I keep getting niggly injuries! I thought I would rest until Friday 1st and begin the challenge fresh and fit!
    Just got over of a sore left knee and know I have a painful right foot! Am I the only one or does everyone here have problems like this? I love the feeling running leaves you with and the obvious health benefits but these niggly aches and pains are a bind-maybe I'm just too old!! At 39 I don't think so some how.
  • "Hi Laura B 112
    Sorry I can't help - wrong part of the country and currently trying to plod my way towards the New York Marathon. I hope someone comes along soon. If there is noone near you maybe you can train with someone virtually by setting a 10k challenge via the Nike+?"

Thatz a good idea. Thanks Mrs. I'll do that. Meanwhile I have started the 6 weeker in Hyde Park Sunday morns.

• Laura, I would love to run with you, but it would take me an hour and a half to drive to london let alone running there!
    but if you want to do a challenge with me we could try and work something out, like times,dates etc and it would be like a virtual running partner? could send you my email if you like the idea?

i am trying to make my own and even making it into an excel spreadsheet but its taking time.
    the spreadsheet should work really well when sorted as you can click what you have eaten and it will add all foods up to give totals - 50/25/25 etc.??

while im here, does anyone know of a recipe guide type thingy for daily use? one which i can use for my daily intake??
  • Zaclobsterboy

To old at 39.

Hope not, I'm 41.

• Laura - if you are based in central London then perhaps join the Serpentine Runners <but don't tell anyone I am a Serpie or I'll get lynched>.

They do lots of organised runs through the week with different people of different abilities over different distances.

The "big" club night is a Wednesday, I will probably go next week if you want to walk in the door with somebody but they are very friendly and very newbie orientated. Without your profile complete or knowing you at all it is hard to see what level you are coming in at.